|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotions does Irene struggle with during the party?
2. How does Irene plan to keep Clare away from Bryan?
3. Who saw Irene push Clare?
4. Why does Irene suspect an affair between Clare and Brian?
5. What is Clare unwilling to give up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
2. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
3. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
4. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
5. When does Irene see Clare again?
6. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
7. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
8. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
9. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
10. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 2 which recalls the last time Irene and Clare were together.
a) What does Irene recall in a flashback episode about Clare?
b) How did they run into each other?
c) Why didn't Irene recognize her at first?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how racism is introduced into the story.
a) What does Irene remember about Clare "passing"?
b) What conflict between the two is foreshadowed?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)