|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Brian talk to at the party?
2. What secret does Irene think of telling John Bellew?
3. Why does Irene suspect an affair between Clare and Brian?
4. Whom did Irene blame for a failed marriage?
5. Brian thinks that Clare was killed by ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Irene see Clare again?
2. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
3. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
4. What happened to Clare?
5. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
6. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
7. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
8. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
9. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
10. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 2 which recalls the last time Irene and Clare were together.
a) What does Irene recall in a flashback episode about Clare?
b) How did they run into each other?
c) Why didn't Irene recognize her at first?
Essay Topic 3
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)