|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clare learn about the dance?
2. Who calls to say she'll be attending Mrs. Freeland's party?
3. How do the children react to Clare?
4. Who helps pick up Irene's tea cup?
5. What does Irene drop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
2. Whom is Irene with when she runs into John Bellow?:
3. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
4. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
5. What plan does Irene consider that will rid her life of Clare?
6. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
7. What happened to Clare?
8. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
9. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
10. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Irene contemplates as a way to save her marriage.
a) What does Irene think of telling John about Clare?
b) How would John respond to what Irene would tell him?
c) Why does Irene change her mind about taking with John?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Irene is reluctant to resume her friendship with Clare.
a) What jealousy and resentment existed between the two women?
b) What past resentments may be lingering in Irene?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how racism is introduced into the story.
a) What does Irene remember about Clare "passing"?
b) What conflict between the two is foreshadowed?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)