|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Irene react to Clare's request?
2. Could the alleged affair between Brian and Clare be in Irene's imagination?
3. How long does Irene struggle with the thought of Brian's affair with Clare?
4. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
5. Why does Clare stay with John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
2. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
3. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
4. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
5. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
6. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
7. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
8. What season of the year is it? What are possible reasons that Irene isn't in good spirits?
9. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
10. How does the Redfield household react to the frequent visits of Clare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)