|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Irene afraid might happen if Clare gets a divorce?
2. What makes Irene think she's right about her feelings that Brian and Clare are involved?
3. What emotions does Irene struggle with during the party?
4. What does Irene do when she returns from a shopping trip?
5. How does Brian react to Clare's visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
2. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
3. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
4. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
5. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
6. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
7. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
8. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
9. What plan does Irene consider that will rid her life of Clare?
10. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Irene is reluctant to resume her friendship with Clare.
a) What jealousy and resentment existed between the two women?
b) What past resentments may be lingering in Irene?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how racism is introduced into the story.
a) What does Irene remember about Clare "passing"?
b) What conflict between the two is foreshadowed?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)