|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Irene think she's right about her feelings that Brian and Clare are involved?
2. At whom does Wentworth stare disapprovingly?
3. What are Brian and Clare doing at the party?
4. Who offers to take Clare home?
5. What is Clare unwilling to give up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
2. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
3. Who invited Clare to the party for Hugh Wentworth and why?
4. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
5. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
6. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
7. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
8. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
9. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
10. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 2, Chapters 3 and 4 which describe how Clare positions herself in Irene's family.
a) What are the reactions of Irene's children and servants to Clare?
b) How does Brian react to Clare?
c) How does Irene attempt to make Clare's visits less frequent?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 2 which describes how Clare interjects herself into Irene's family.
a) Why did Irene choose not to answer Clare's letter?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what drives Irene to murder Clare.
a) What role does John have in deepening Irene's fears about losing her husband?
b) Why is it easier for Brian to think that John killed Clare?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)