|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Irene feel around Clare?
2. Who invited Clare to the party?
3. How does Irene feel about Christmas?
4. What does Irene regret about killing Clare?
5. Why doesn't Irene get to introduce Clare to Brian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
2. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
3. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
4. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
5. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
6. When does Irene see Clare again?
7. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
8. What person is watching Brian and Clare at the party? How does Irene try to draw attention away from Brian and Clare?
9. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
10. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 2 which recalls the last time Irene and Clare were together.
a) What does Irene recall in a flashback episode about Clare?
b) How did they run into each other?
c) Why didn't Irene recognize her at first?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how racism is introduced into the story.
a) What does Irene remember about Clare "passing"?
b) What conflict between the two is foreshadowed?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)