|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Clare's mood when she visits Irene?
2. Whom does John Bellew look for at the party?
3. Whom was Clare with when she became reacquainted with Irene?
4. What does Irene realize about Clare and Brian?
5. What does Irene do to Clare when no one is around?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom is Irene with when she runs into John Bellow?:
2. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
3. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
4. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
5. Who invited Clare to the party for Hugh Wentworth and why?
6. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
7. What does Clare learn about the dance that makes her want to be invited?
8. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
9. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
10. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 1 which introduces the main character Irene Redfield.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)