|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian thinks that Clare was killed by ______________.
2. What is Clare's mood when she visits Irene?
3. What did Irene hope to accomplish with Clare gone?
4. Irene is shopping with what black friend?
5. What aspect of Brian's affair lessens its threat?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how racism is introduced into the story.
a) What does Irene remember about Clare "passing"?
b) What conflict between the two is foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)