|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irene regret about killing Clare?
2. Why does Clare stay with John?
3. What word best describes Irene's feelings about Clare?
4. From whom does Irene receive a visit?
5. Whom does Irene run into when she's shopping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
2. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
3. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
4. What plan does Irene consider that will rid her life of Clare?
5. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
6. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
7. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
8. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
9. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
10. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 1 and 2 which describe Irene's growing suspicion that Clare and Brian are having an affair.
a) What aspect of Brian's behavior causes Irene to think that he's having an affair with Clare?
b) How does Hugh Wentworth react to Brian and Clare?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)