|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom was Clare with when she became reacquainted with Irene?
2. Why didn't Irene want to invite Clare?
3. What does John Bellew do when he finds Clare?
4. What season of the year is it?
5. Why doesn't Irene get to introduce Clare to Brian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What season of the year is it? What are possible reasons that Irene isn't in good spirits?
2. How does the Redfield household react to the frequent visits of Clare?
3. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
4. When does Irene see Clare again?
5. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
6. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
7. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
8. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
9. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
10. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 2 which describes how Clare interjects herself into Irene's family.
a) Why did Irene choose not to answer Clare's letter?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what drives Irene to murder Clare.
a) What role does John have in deepening Irene's fears about losing her husband?
b) Why is it easier for Brian to think that John killed Clare?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)