|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Irene never know about Clare and Brian?
2. Whom did Irene blame for a failed marriage?
3. Why does Irene decide against telling John the secret?
4. Why doesn't Irene get to introduce Clare to Brian?
5. At whom does Wentworth stare disapprovingly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
2. When does Irene see Clare again?
3. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
4. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
5. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
6. What plan does Irene consider that will rid her life of Clare?
7. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
8. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
9. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
10. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Irene contemplates as a way to save her marriage.
a) What does Irene think of telling John about Clare?
b) How would John respond to what Irene would tell him?
c) Why does Irene change her mind about taking with John?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)