|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irene is shopping with what black friend?
2. Why is Irene concerned about Clare's frequent visits?
3. Why can't Brian hide his feelings for Clare?
4. What season of the year is it?
5. What does Irene tell Clare and Brian about running into John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare learn about the dance that makes her want to be invited?
2. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
3. How does the Redfield household react to the frequent visits of Clare?
4. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
5. What person is watching Brian and Clare at the party? How does Irene try to draw attention away from Brian and Clare?
6. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
7. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
8. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
9. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
10. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 4 when Clare sends Irene a note.
a) What did Irene expect the note to say?
b) How is the subject of race brought to the forefront in the note?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Irene reacts to John.
a) What is Irene's reaction to his racist remarks?
b) What do Irene and Gertrude discuss after they part with John and Clare?
c) What does Irene feel for Clare?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)