|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invited Clare to the party?
2. How does Clare react to her discussion with Irene?
3. What happened to Clare?
4. What does Irene do when she returns from a shopping trip?
5. Irene is shopping with what black friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
2. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
3. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
4. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
5. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
6. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
7. What person is watching Brian and Clare at the party? How does Irene try to draw attention away from Brian and Clare?
8. Who invited Clare to the party for Hugh Wentworth and why?
9. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
10. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)