|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Irene respond to Clare's anger?
2. Whom does John Bellew look for at the party?
3. What kind of party is Irene having in the afternoon?
4. What does Irene realize about Clare and Brian?
5. Why does Irene think that it's a bad idea for Irene to go to the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
2. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
3. What season of the year is it? What are possible reasons that Irene isn't in good spirits?
4. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
5. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
6. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
7. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
8. How does the Redfield household react to the frequent visits of Clare?
9. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
10. Who invited Clare to the party for Hugh Wentworth and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)