|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Bellew do when he finds Clare?
2. How does Irene react to John Bellew?
3. Why does Clare stay with John?
4. What does Irene realize about Clare and Brian?
5. What aspect of Brian's affair lessens its threat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare learn about the dance that makes her want to be invited?
2. What season of the year is it? What are possible reasons that Irene isn't in good spirits?
3. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
4. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
5. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
6. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
7. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
8. When does Irene see Clare again?
9. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
10. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Irene reacts to John.
a) What is Irene's reaction to his racist remarks?
b) What do Irene and Gertrude discuss after they part with John and Clare?
c) What does Irene feel for Clare?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)