|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotions does Irene struggle with during the party?
2. What does Irene do to Clare when no one is around?
3. Why is Irene concerned about Clare's frequent visits?
4. What do Irene and Hugh Wentworth talk about?
5. How do the children react to Clare?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
2. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
3. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
4. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
5. When does Irene see Clare again?
6. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
7. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
8. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
9. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
10. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Irene is reluctant to resume her friendship with Clare.
a) What jealousy and resentment existed between the two women?
b) What past resentments may be lingering in Irene?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 2 which describes how Clare interjects herself into Irene's family.
a) Why did Irene choose not to answer Clare's letter?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)