|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Irene react to Clare's request?
2. What does Irene think John will do if she tells him the secret?
3. Who stops by the party?
4. Who arranged for a ride for Clare?
5. Does Brian seem to be in love with Clare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare learn about the dance that makes her want to be invited?
2. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
3. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
4. What plan does Irene consider that will rid her life of Clare?
5. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
6. What season of the year is it? What are possible reasons that Irene isn't in good spirits?
7. How does the Redfield household react to the frequent visits of Clare?
8. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
9. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
10. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 3 which describes how Clare and Irene renew their relationship.
a) Why is Irene reluctant to meet with Clare?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Irene is reluctant to resume her friendship with Clare.
a) What jealousy and resentment existed between the two women?
b) What past resentments may be lingering in Irene?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)