|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irene drop?
2. Who offers to take Clare home?
3. How does Irene feel around Clare?
4. What does Irene decide to do about Clare's letter?
5. How does Clare react to her discussion with Irene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
2. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
3. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
4. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
5. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
6. What plan does Irene consider that will rid her life of Clare?
7. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
8. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
9. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
10. Who invited Clare to the party for Hugh Wentworth and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)