|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Irene run into when she's shopping?
2. How does she shield the truth from Wentworth?
3. What does John Bellew say to Clare?
4. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
5. What secret does Irene think of telling John Bellew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
2. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
3. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
4. What does Clare learn about the dance that makes her want to be invited?
5. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
6. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
7. What happened to Clare?
8. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
9. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
10. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)