|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does John Bellew look for at the party?
2. Brian thinks that Clare was killed by ______________.
3. How do the children react to Clare?
4. How does Clare react to her discussion with Irene?
5. What secret does Irene think of telling John Bellew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who invited Clare to the party for Hugh Wentworth and why?
2. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
3. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
4. How does the Redfield household react to the frequent visits of Clare?
5. What season of the year is it? What are possible reasons that Irene isn't in good spirits?
6. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
7. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
8. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
9. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
10. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 2 which recalls the last time Irene and Clare were together.
a) What does Irene recall in a flashback episode about Clare?
b) How did they run into each other?
c) Why didn't Irene recognize her at first?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)