|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Bellew say to Clare?
2. Whom does John Bellew look for at the party?
3. How does Irene react to her realization that Clare and Brian are involved?
4. What did Irene hope to accomplish with Clare gone?
5. Whom does Brian talk to at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
2. When does Irene see Clare again?
3. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
4. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
5. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
6. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
7. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
8. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
9. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
10. How does the Redfield household react to the frequent visits of Clare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 3 which describes how Clare and Irene renew their relationship.
a) Why is Irene reluctant to meet with Clare?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)