|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Brian and Clare doing at the party?
2. How does Irene feel about Clare's frequent visits?
3. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
4. Whom did Irene blame for a failed marriage?
5. How does the dance turn out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
2. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
3. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
4. What does Clare learn about the dance that makes her want to be invited?
5. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
6. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
7. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
8. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
9. What plan does Irene consider that will rid her life of Clare?
10. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 2 which recalls the last time Irene and Clare were together.
a) What does Irene recall in a flashback episode about Clare?
b) How did they run into each other?
c) Why didn't Irene recognize her at first?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)