|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Irene suspect an affair between Clare and Brian?
2. Why is Irene concerned about Clare's frequent visits?
3. Why does Irene think it's not a good idea to correspond with Clare?
4. Who saw Irene push Clare?
5. Why does Irene decide against telling John the secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
2. How does Irene react when she runs into John?
3. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
4. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
5. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
6. What does Clare learn about the dance that makes her want to be invited?
7. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
8. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
9. What surprise guest appears at the Freeland's party?
10. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Irene contemplates as a way to save her marriage.
a) What does Irene think of telling John about Clare?
b) How would John respond to what Irene would tell him?
c) Why does Irene change her mind about taking with John?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)