|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
2. What does Irene plan to organize for the Negro Welfare League?
3. What do Irene and Brian call their son?
4. With whom does Irene leave?
5. When do Irene and Brian discuss their son?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
2. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
3. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
4. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
5. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
6. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
7. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
8. What is some background information about the author?
9. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
10. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Irene contemplates as a way to save her marriage.
a) What does Irene think of telling John about Clare?
b) How would John respond to what Irene would tell him?
c) Why does Irene change her mind about taking with John?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what drives Irene to murder Clare.
a) What role does John have in deepening Irene's fears about losing her husband?
b) Why is it easier for Brian to think that John killed Clare?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)