|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
2. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
3. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
4. Who stares at Irene at the hotel?
5. Who sits near Irene at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
2. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
3. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
4. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
5. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
6. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
7. What is some background information about the author?
8. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
9. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
10. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 3 which describes how Clare and Irene renew their relationship.
a) Why is Irene reluctant to meet with Clare?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Irene contemplates as a way to save her marriage.
a) What does Irene think of telling John about Clare?
b) How would John respond to what Irene would tell him?
c) Why does Irene change her mind about taking with John?
Essay Topic 3
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)