|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
2. What does Irene plan to tell Clare when she responds to her letter?
3. What relationship does Gertrude have to Irene?
4. Who is in the most jeopardy?
5. When does this chapter take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is some background information about the author?
2. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
3. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
4. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
5. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
6. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
7. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
8. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
9. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
10. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 2 which describes how Clare interjects herself into Irene's family.
a) Why did Irene choose not to answer Clare's letter?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapters 3 and 4 which describe how Clare positions herself in Irene's family.
a) What are the reactions of Irene's children and servants to Clare?
b) How does Brian react to Clare?
c) How does Irene attempt to make Clare's visits less frequent?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)