|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes into the room when Irene is still reading Clare's letter?
2. What does Clare send to Irene?
3. Where does Irene has the cab driver to take her?
4. What does Brian advise Irene to do relative to Clare?
5. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
2. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
3. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
4. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
5. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
6. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
7. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
8. What are Irene Redfield's recollections as she reads the letter from Clare Kendry?
9. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
10. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 2 which recalls the last time Irene and Clare were together.
a) What does Irene recall in a flashback episode about Clare?
b) How did they run into each other?
c) Why didn't Irene recognize her at first?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what drives Irene to murder Clare.
a) What role does John have in deepening Irene's fears about losing her husband?
b) Why is it easier for Brian to think that John killed Clare?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)