|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irene order at the hotel?
2. Why does Irene want Brian to take Junior away?
3. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
4. What does Clare send to Irene?
5. How does Irene respond to Brian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
2. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
3. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
4. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
5. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
6. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
7. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
8. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
9. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
10. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Irene contemplates as a way to save her marriage.
a) What does Irene think of telling John about Clare?
b) How would John respond to what Irene would tell him?
c) Why does Irene change her mind about taking with John?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)