|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the woman stares at Irene at the hotel, what does Irene fear the woman is thinking about her?
2. How does Irene feel about Clare?
3. Clare can pass as _________.
4. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
5. What does John Bellew call Clare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
2. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
3. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
4. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
5. How does the Redfield household react to the frequent visits of Clare?
6. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
7. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
8. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
9. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
10. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how racism is introduced into the story.
a) What does Irene remember about Clare "passing"?
b) What conflict between the two is foreshadowed?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)