|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would upset John?
2. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
3. What does the woman know about Irene?
4. Why does Irene want Brian to take Junior away?
5. Who is in the most jeopardy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
2. When does Irene see Clare again?
3. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
4. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
5. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
6. What is some background information about the author?
7. Who interrupts Irene when she is reading Clare's letter? What did the letter keep her from doing?
8. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
9. What plan does Irene consider that will rid her life of Clare?
10. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Irene is reluctant to resume her friendship with Clare.
a) What jealousy and resentment existed between the two women?
b) What past resentments may be lingering in Irene?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)