|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Irene want Brian to take Junior?
2. How many black people has John Bellew met?
3. To whom is Gertrude married?
4. What relative of Clare's was visited by Irene's father?
5. For whom does Irene have the most concern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
2. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
3. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
4. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
5. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
6. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
7. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
8. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
9. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
10. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)