|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gertrude's husband know about her heritage?
2. How does John Bellew feel about black people?
3. Irene thinks that what group of people cannot tell what race she is?
4. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
5. Who escorts Irene to breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is some background information about the author?
2. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
3. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
4. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
5. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
6. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
7. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
8. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
9. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
10. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 2 which describes how Clare interjects herself into Irene's family.
a) Why did Irene choose not to answer Clare's letter?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)