|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian advise Irene to do relative to Clare?
2. What issue does Irene have with Clare?
3. How do Irene and Gertrude feel about John?
4. How does Irene plan to get back from the printers?
5. Clare can pass as _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Irene Redfield's recollections as she reads the letter from Clare Kendry?
2. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
3. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
4. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
5. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
6. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
7. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
8. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
9. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
10. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Irene reacts to John.
a) What is Irene's reaction to his racist remarks?
b) What do Irene and Gertrude discuss after they part with John and Clare?
c) What does Irene feel for Clare?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)