Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Brian have a desire to live?
2. What does Brian think is appropriate for Junior to learn?
3. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
4. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
5. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
2. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
3. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
4. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
5. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
6. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
7. What happened to Clare?
8. What is some background information about the author?
9. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
10. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Irene contemplates as a way to save her marriage.
a) What does Irene think of telling John about Clare?
b) How would John respond to what Irene would tell him?
c) Why does Irene change her mind about taking with John?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Irene reacts to John.
a) What is Irene's reaction to his racist remarks?
b) What do Irene and Gertrude discuss after they part with John and Clare?
c) What does Irene feel for Clare?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)