|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman know about Irene?
2. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
3. Who stares at Irene at the hotel?
4. How does Irene distract Brian?
5. What does John Bellew call Clare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
2. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
3. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
4. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
5. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
6. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
7. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
8. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
9. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
10. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 1 which introduces the main character Irene Redfield.
Essay Topic 3
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)