|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
2. When the woman stares at Irene at the hotel, what does Irene fear the woman is thinking about her?
3. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
4. Clare can pass as _________.
5. Who does Irene Redfield receive a letter from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
2. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
3. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
4. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
5. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
6. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
7. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
8. What is some background information about the author?
9. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
10. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 2 which recalls the last time Irene and Clare were together.
a) What does Irene recall in a flashback episode about Clare?
b) How did they run into each other?
c) Why didn't Irene recognize her at first?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Irene reacts to John.
a) What is Irene's reaction to his racist remarks?
b) What do Irene and Gertrude discuss after they part with John and Clare?
c) What does Irene feel for Clare?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)