|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Irene plan to get back from the printers?
2. How does Irene react to her husband's thoughts about Clare?
3. What does the woman know about Irene?
4. Whom do Irene and Gertrude talk about?
5. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
2. What are Irene Redfield's recollections as she reads the letter from Clare Kendry?
3. Who interrupts Irene when she is reading Clare's letter? What did the letter keep her from doing?
4. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
5. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
6. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
7. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
8. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
9. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
10. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 2 which describes how Clare interjects herself into Irene's family.
a) Why did Irene choose not to answer Clare's letter?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 4 when Clare sends Irene a note.
a) What did Irene expect the note to say?
b) How is the subject of race brought to the forefront in the note?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)