|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Irene and Brian discuss their son?
2. Clare can pass as _________.
3. What does Irene want to drink when she finishes shopping?
4. Who talked Brian out of moving to Brazil?
5. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
2. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
3. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
4. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
5. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
6. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
7. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
8. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
9. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
10. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Irene is reluctant to resume her friendship with Clare.
a) What jealousy and resentment existed between the two women?
b) What past resentments may be lingering in Irene?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)