|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Irene's table?
2. How many black people has John Bellew met?
3. What issue does Irene have with Clare?
4. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
5. What good quality does Irene have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
2. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
3. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
4. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
5. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
6. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
7. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
8. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
9. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
10. What are Irene Redfield's recollections as she reads the letter from Clare Kendry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 4 when Clare sends Irene a note.
a) What did Irene expect the note to say?
b) How is the subject of race brought to the forefront in the note?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapters 3 and 4 which describe how Clare positions herself in Irene's family.
a) What are the reactions of Irene's children and servants to Clare?
b) How does Brian react to Clare?
c) How does Irene attempt to make Clare's visits less frequent?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)