Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Brian have a desire to live?
2. What does Brian think is appropriate for Junior to learn?
3. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
4. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
5. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
2. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
3. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
4. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
5. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
6. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
7. What happened to Clare?
8. What is some background information about the author?
9. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
10. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 1 which introduces the main character Irene Redfield.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)