|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Irene want Brian to take Junior?
2. What is the name of the woman who comes to Claire's table?
3. What relative of Clare's was white?
4. How many black people has John Bellew met?
5. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
2. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
3. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
4. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
5. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
6. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
7. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
8. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
9. What do Irene and Clare get into a discussion about? Why is Clare upset?
10. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what drives Irene to murder Clare.
a) What role does John have in deepening Irene's fears about losing her husband?
b) Why is it easier for Brian to think that John killed Clare?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapters 3 and 4 which describe how Clare positions herself in Irene's family.
a) What are the reactions of Irene's children and servants to Clare?
b) How does Brian react to Clare?
c) How does Irene attempt to make Clare's visits less frequent?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)