|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Gertrude married?
2. How does Irene plan to get back from the printers?
3. What does Irene want to drink when she finishes shopping?
4. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
5. Irene thinks the woman who sits near her at the hotel looks _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
2. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
3. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
4. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
5. What is some background information about the author?
6. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
7. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
8. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
9. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
10. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 2 which describes how Clare interjects herself into Irene's family.
a) Why did Irene choose not to answer Clare's letter?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Irene contemplates as a way to save her marriage.
a) What does Irene think of telling John about Clare?
b) How would John respond to what Irene would tell him?
c) Why does Irene change her mind about taking with John?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)