|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes into the room when Irene is still reading Clare's letter?
2. Who does Irene Redfield receive a letter from?
3. Who sits near Irene at the hotel?
4. Who stares at Irene at the hotel?
5. What does Clare send to Irene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
2. What are Irene Redfield's recollections as she reads the letter from Clare Kendry?
3. What is some background information about the author?
4. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
5. What does John tell Clare when he finds her at the party?
6. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
7. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
8. What party preparation does Irene neglect?
9. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
10. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 1 which introduces the main character Irene Redfield.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapters 3 and 4 which describe how Clare positions herself in Irene's family.
a) What are the reactions of Irene's children and servants to Clare?
b) How does Brian react to Clare?
c) How does Irene attempt to make Clare's visits less frequent?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)