|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
2. Irene thinks that what group of people cannot tell what race she is?
3. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
4. Who comes to Irene's table?
5. What relative of Clare's was visited by Irene's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
2. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
3. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
4. What is some background information about the author?
5. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
6. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
7. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
8. Who interrupts Irene when she is reading Clare's letter? What did the letter keep her from doing?
9. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
10. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
Essay Topic 3
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)