|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John Bellew feel about black people?
2. Who talked Brian out of moving to Brazil?
3. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
4. To whom is Gertrude married?
5. What good quality does Irene have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
2. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
3. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
4. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
5. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
6. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
7. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
8. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
9. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
10. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the emotions Irene displays in these chapters.
a) Why does she drop the tea cup?
b) Why doesn't she confide in Hugh Wentworth about her suspicions?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 3 which describes how Clare and Irene renew their relationship.
a) Why is Irene reluctant to meet with Clare?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Irene is reluctant to resume her friendship with Clare.
a) What jealousy and resentment existed between the two women?
b) What past resentments may be lingering in Irene?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)