|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
2. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
3. What does Brian advise Irene to do relative to Clare?
4. How does Irene distract Brian?
5. What does Brian say about black people who pass for white?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
2. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
3. What is some background information about the author?
4. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
5. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
6. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
7. Who interrupts Irene when she is reading Clare's letter? What did the letter keep her from doing?
8. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
9. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
10. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how racism is introduced into the story.
a) What does Irene remember about Clare "passing"?
b) What conflict between the two is foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what drives Irene to murder Clare.
a) What role does John have in deepening Irene's fears about losing her husband?
b) Why is it easier for Brian to think that John killed Clare?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)