Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Brian have a desire to live?
2. What does Brian think is appropriate for Junior to learn?
3. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
4. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
5. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
2. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
3. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
4. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
5. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
6. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
7. What happened to Clare?
8. What is some background information about the author?
9. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
10. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the rationalization Irene uses to come to grips with Brian's affair. Why does she think Clare will never leave John?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what drives Irene to murder Clare.
a) What role does John have in deepening Irene's fears about losing her husband?
b) Why is it easier for Brian to think that John killed Clare?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)