|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Irene and Brian discuss their son?
2. Clare can pass as _________.
3. Whom does Irene try to ignore?
4. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
5. How does John Bellew feel about black people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
2. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
3. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
4. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
5. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
6. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
7. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
8. Who interrupts Irene when she is reading Clare's letter? What did the letter keep her from doing?
9. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
10. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)