|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes into the room when Irene is still reading Clare's letter?
2. What does the conflict between Brian and Irene indicate?
3. Who will be in danger if Irene speaks up to John Bellew?
4. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
5. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
2. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
3. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
4. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
5. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
6. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
7. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
8. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
9. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
10. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, what does Irene recall about her childhood friend Clare? What tragedy does she remember associated with Clare?
Essay Topic 2
What are physical descriptions of Irene and Clare? What indications are there that both women are light-skinned?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)