Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relative of Clare's was white?
2. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
3. Who stares at Irene at the hotel?
4. What do Irene and Brian agree on about Clare?
5. How does Irene respond to Brian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
2. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
3. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
4. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
5. When does Irene see Clare again?
6. What is Irene's mood as she prepares for the party? What emotions is she feeling during the party?
7. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
8. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
9. What season of the year is it? What are possible reasons that Irene isn't in good spirits?
10. What is some background information about the author?
Discuss why Irene is reluctant to resume her friendship with Clare.
a) What jealousy and resentment existed between the two women?
b) What past resentments may be lingering in Irene?
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 4 when Clare sends Irene a note.
a) What did Irene expect the note to say?
b) How is the subject of race brought to the forefront in the note?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)