|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman know about Irene?
2. How does John Bellew feel about black people?
3. What does Clare express in her note?
4. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
5. Where does Irene promise to meet Clare at the next Tuesday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
2. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
3. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
4. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
5. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
6. What is some background information about the author?
7. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
8. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
9. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
10. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 2 which recalls the last time Irene and Clare were together.
a) What does Irene recall in a flashback episode about Clare?
b) How did they run into each other?
c) Why didn't Irene recognize her at first?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Part 2, Chapter 1 which introduces Irene's husband Brian into the story.
a) What strong feelings does Brian have on "passing"?
b) What advice does he give Irene about Clare?
c) What conflict exists between Irene and Brian?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 2, Chapters 3 and 4 which describe how Clare positions herself in Irene's family.
a) What are the reactions of Irene's children and servants to Clare?
b) How does Brian react to Clare?
c) How does Irene attempt to make Clare's visits less frequent?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)