|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many black people has John Bellew met?
2. When does this chapter take place?
3. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
4. For what was Irene supposed to be dressed?
5. What issue does Irene have with Clare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
2. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
3. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
4. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
5. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
6. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
7. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
8. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
9. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
10. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John Bellew as a character and how he impacts the story.
a) How is John obnoxious?
b) How does he show that he's a racist? How is that ironic?
b) How does he treat his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 1, Chapter 3 which describes how Clare and Irene renew their relationship.
a) Why is Irene reluctant to meet with Clare?
b) How does Clare convince Irene to accept her as a friend?
c) What are signs that Clare is very aggressive?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)