|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Clare's husband?
2. Why does Irene bring up Junior's problems?
3. Who is in the most jeopardy?
4. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
5. What do Irene and Brian call their son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
2. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
3. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
4. What thoughts linger within Irene after the party? What does she begin to consider?
5. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
6. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
7. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
8. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
9. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
10. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concerns of Clare and Gertrude.
a) What concerns do they have about their children?
b) How does each woman deal with their mixed marriage?
c) What mistake does Clare make about her marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how racism is introduced into the story.
a) What does Irene remember about Clare "passing"?
b) What conflict between the two is foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Part 3, Chapters 3 and 4 which are the concluding chapters of the book.
a) How does Irene feel when she runs into John?
b) What does she regret not telling him?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)