|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Irene afraid for Wentworth to know?
(a) She's upset about Brian and Clare.
(b) She's angry.
(c) She's nervous about hosting the party.
(d) She's clumsy.
2. Who offers to take Clare home?
(d) A handsome stranger.
3. What secret does Irene think of telling John Bellew?
(a) Clare is part black.
(b) Clare is promiscuous.
(c) Clare is having an affair.
(d) Clare is a criminal.
4. Why can't Brian hide his feelings for Clare?
(a) Clare flaunts it.
(b) Clare brags about it to others.
(c) Brian brags about it to others.
(d) He shows it on his face.
5. What is Irene doing when Clare comes to her house?
(a) Talking to Brian.
(d) Still dressing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Bellew do when he finds Clare?
2. How does Irene feel about Clare's frequent visits?
3. At whom does Wentworth stare disapprovingly?
4. How does Irene react to John Bellew?
5. What do Irene and Hugh Wentworth talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
2. What person is watching Brian and Clare at the party? How does Irene try to draw attention away from Brian and Clare?
3. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
4. What factor makes Irene accept Brian's relationship with Clare?
5. What makes Irene think her husband is having an affair with Clare?
6. What is Irene's reaction when Clare shows up at her house for the Freeland party? How does she initially plan to keep her away from Brian?
7. What makes Irene fear Brian will leave her? What does she do the prevent it?
8. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
9. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
10. Whom is Irene with when she runs into John Bellow?:
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)