|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Brian seem to be in love with Clare?
(b) Only when Clare makes him jealous.
(c) Only when Irene gets upset.
2. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
(a) They didn't move to Brazil.
(b) When he realized he didn't love Irene.
(c) When Irene fell out of love with him.
(d) When he met Clare.
3. What does John Bellew do when he finds Clare?
(a) He kisses her on the cheek.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He hugs her.
4. Why does Irene suspect an affair between Clare and Brian?
(a) Brian always sits close to Clare.
(b) Brian always talks about Clare.
(c) Brian defends Clare too much.
(d) Brian lights up when he sees Clare.
5. What does Irene want to accomplish by telling John the secret?
(a) Get Clare in trouble.
(b) Cause Clare's divorce.
(c) Get Brian in trouble with John.
(d) End Brian's affair with Clare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian thinks that Clare was killed by ______________.
2. What did Irene hope to accomplish with Clare gone?
3. Who interrupts the conversation between Clare and Irene?
4. What do Irene and Hugh Wentworth talk about?
5. Why is Clare angry with Irene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
2. Who invited Clare to the party for Hugh Wentworth and why?
3. What happened to Clare?
4. What season of the year is it? What are possible reasons that Irene isn't in good spirits?
5. How does Irene react to Clare's request to be invited to the dance? How is Irene convinced to allow Clare to attend?
6. How does Clare react to Irene ignoring her letter?
7. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
8. Why does Irene decide not to reveal Clare's real race to John?
9. Why had Irene left Clare's name off the guest list?
10. What impressed Clare? What does she want Irene to tell her about?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)