|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
(b) Clare's attractriveness.
(c) Outside influence.
(d) Stress from raising the children.
2. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
(a) City Hall.
(b) The Harlem School District.
(c) The Apollo.
(d) The Negro Welfare League .
3. What kept Irene from standing up to John?
(a) Her friendship with Clare.
(b) Her embarrassment about her family.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Her fear of him.
4. How does Irene first react to Clare's note?
(a) She rips it up.
(b) She throws it away.
(c) She ignores it.
(d) She doesn't want to read it.
5. What relative of Clare's was visited by Irene's father?
(a) Her aunts.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Junior been hearing at school?
2. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
3. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
4. What do Irene and Brian call their son?
5. To whom is Gertrude married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Clare?
2. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
3. What does Irene regret not saying to John when she ran into him?
4. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
5. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
6. How does Irene explain to Clare the reasons for not answering her letter?
7. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
8. Who telephones Irene when she and Clare are talking?
9. When does Irene see Clare again?
10. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)