|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Nella Larsen become a shining star?
(a) The Harlem Renaissance.
(b) In Hollywood
(c) The Apollo.
(d) On Broadway.
2. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
(a) He is teasing her.
(b) Her skin turned darker over the year.
(c) He is a rude person.
(d) To insult her.
3. What does Irene plan to organize for the Negro Welfare League?
(a) A dance.
(b) A town hall meeting.
(c) A picnic.
(d) A committee meeting.
4. What does Irene ask Brian to do after breakfast?
(a) Write a letter to Clare.
(b) Clean up the breakfast dishes.
(c) Drive her to work.
(d) Drive her to the printers.
5. What does Irene order at the hotel?
(a) A snack.
(c) A sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Irene want Brian to take Junior?
2. Irene recalls a trip to what city?
3. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
4. What relative of Clare's was white?
5. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
2. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
3. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
4. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
5. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
6. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
7. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
8. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
9. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
10. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)