|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John Bellew feel about black people?
(a) He treats them like everyone else.
(b) He likes them.
(c) He hates them.
(d) He thinks they are trouble.
2. Who sits near Irene at the hotel?
(a) Two men.
(b) A young couple.
(c) An old couple.
(d) Two women.
3. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
4. How does Irene respond to Brian?
(a) She is surprised by his wisdom.
(b) She thinks he's wrong but she'll go along with him.
(c) She stomps off.
(d) She agrees with him.
5. Who will be in danger if Irene speaks up to John Bellew?
(c) Clare, Gertrude, and herself.
(d) Clare's children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kept Irene from standing up to John?
2. What makes Irene stop shopping when she's in Chicago?
3. How does Clare get hold of Irene?
4. Who stares at Irene at the hotel?
5. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
2. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
3. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
4. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
5. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
6. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
7. What is some background information about the author?
8. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
9. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
10. What are Irene Redfield's recollections as she reads the letter from Clare Kendry?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)