|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Irene Redfield receive a letter from?
(a) A childhood friend.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
2. What was Irene's father hiding about Clare?
(a) She passed for white.
(b) She was black.
(c) She was part Mexian.
(d) She was part Chinese.
3. For what was Irene supposed to be dressed?
4. What makes Irene stop shopping when she's in Chicago?
(a) The heat.
(b) The rain.
(c) The traffic.
(d) The crowds.
5. Whom does Irene try to ignore?
(a) The host.
(b) The handsome man.
(c) The waiter.
(d) The beautiful blond woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Junior been hearing at school?
2. What good quality does Irene have?
3. Why does Brian become angry?
4. Why does Irene bring up Junior's problems?
5. To whom is Gertrude married?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
2. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
3. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
4. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
5. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
6. Who interrupts Irene when she is reading Clare's letter? What did the letter keep her from doing?
7. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
8. What is some background information about the author?
9. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
10. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)