|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What invitation does Irene accept from Clare?
(a) To go to tea.
(b) Have lunch.
(c) Have coffee.
(d) Go to a museum.
2. What does the conflict between Brian and Irene indicate?
(a) The marriage is doomed.
(b) Irene no longer loves Brian.
(c) Brian is cheating on Irene.
(d) There is friction in the marriage.
3. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
(a) Her father is arrested.
(b) Her house burns down.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Her father's death.
4. When does Irene decide to respond to Clare's letter?
(b) The day after she receives it.
(c) The day she receives it.
(d) The next week.
5. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
(a) Boarding school.
(b) In Europe.
(c) Her grandmother's house.
(d) Her aunt's farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Irene seated at the hotel?
2. Where does Irene promise to meet Clare at the next Tuesday?
3. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
4. What does Clare say about John's behavior in her note?
5. For whom does Irene have the most concern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is some background information about the author?
2. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
3. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
4. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
5. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
6. Who interrupts Irene when she is reading Clare's letter? What did the letter keep her from doing?
7. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
8. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
9. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
10. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)