|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irene feel about Clare?
2. When the woman stares at Irene at the hotel, what does Irene fear the woman is thinking about her?
(a) Irene is unattractive.
(b) Irene is mixed.
(c) Irene is white.
(d) Irene is black.
3. Who comes to Irene's table?
(a) The waiter.
(b) The host.
(c) The man.
(d) The woman.
4. What relative of Clare's was visited by Irene's father?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her aunts.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
5. Why does Brian become angry?
(a) Irene is too critical of him.
(b) Irene is too domineering.
(c) Irene doesn't understand him.
(d) Irene doesn't think he's doing the right thing for his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Irene want Brian to take Junior away?
2. How does Irene react to her husband's thoughts about Clare?
3. When do Irene and Brian discuss their son?
4. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
5. What does Irene plan to tell Clare when she responds to her letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
2. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
3. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
4. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
5. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
6. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
7. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
8. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
9. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
10. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)