|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irene plan to get back from the printers?
(a) Call Clare for a ride.
(b) Walk home.
(c) Call John for a ride.
(d) Ride with Brian.
2. Clare can pass as _________.
3. How does Irene react to her husband's thoughts about Clare?
(a) She thinks he'll change his mind.
(b) She thinks he's not saying how he really feels.
(c) She thinks he is not thinking clearly.
(d) She is happy he agrees.
4. What was Irene's father hiding about Clare?
(a) She was black.
(b) She was part Chinese.
(c) She was part Mexian.
(d) She passed for white.
5. What does Brian say about black people who pass for white?
(a) They want to return to their own race.
(b) They wind up hating white people.
(c) They are ashamed.
(d) They are happy they pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Irene decide to respond to Clare's letter?
2. To whom is Gertrude married?
3. What issue does Irene have with Clare?
4. Who leaves the table at the hotel?
5. For whom does Irene have the most concern?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
2. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
3. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
4. Where does Irene ask Brian to drive her to? What business does she intend to take care of?
5. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
6. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
7. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
8. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
9. How do Irene and Gertrude feel after they leave the meeting with Clare and John?
10. How does Brian and Irene's trip to the printer's business turn out? Who leaves mad?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)