|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irene distract Brian?
(a) She shows him Clare's letter.
(b) She asks him to move a table.
(c) She asks him to wait in the kitchen for her.
(d) She asks him to telephone her mother.
2. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
3. How does John Bellew feel about black people?
(a) He thinks they are trouble.
(b) He treats them like everyone else.
(c) He likes them.
(d) He hates them.
4. For whom does Irene have the most concern?
5. What does Irene plan to organize for the Negro Welfare League?
(a) A dance.
(b) A town hall meeting.
(c) A picnic.
(d) A committee meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clare get hold of Irene?
2. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
3. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
4. For what was Irene supposed to be dressed?
5. How does Irene first react to Clare's note?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
2. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
3. Why does Irene think that Brian's affair with Clare will not result in his leaving?
4. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
5. What does Clare learn about the dance that makes her want to be invited?
6. What name does John Bellew, Clare's husband, call his wife? Why?
7. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
8. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
9. How does the dance turn out? Who dances with Clare?
10. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)