|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What invitation does Irene accept from Clare?
(a) Have lunch.
(b) To go to tea.
(c) Go to a museum.
(d) Have coffee.
2. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
(a) Clare will be upset if she doesn't.
(b) She always keeps her word.
(c) She can't get out of it.
(d) Clare is charming.
3. How does Irene react to her husband's thoughts about Clare?
(a) She thinks he'll change his mind.
(b) She is happy he agrees.
(c) She thinks he is not thinking clearly.
(d) She thinks he's not saying how he really feels.
4. What do Irene and Brian agree on about Clare?
(a) Clare should not be encouraged to return to the black world.
(b) Clare should divorce John.
(c) Clare should be encouraged to return to the black world.
(d) Clare should remain with John.
5. What does the conflict between Brian and Irene indicate?
(a) Irene no longer loves Brian.
(b) Brian is cheating on Irene.
(c) The marriage is doomed.
(d) There is friction in the marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Irene and Gertrude feel about John?
2. Irene thinks the woman who sits near her at the hotel looks _____________.
3. What do Irene and Brian call their son?
4. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
5. What makes Irene stop shopping when she's in Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Irene travel to the day after her meeting with Clare? How does Irene first respond to Clare's note?
2. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
3. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
4. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
5. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
6. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
7. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
8. What are Irene Redfield's recollections as she reads the letter from Clare Kendry?
9. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
10. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)