|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Irene seated at the hotel?
(a) In the basement.
(b) On the roof.
(c) In a back room.
(d) On the main floor.
2. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
3. What does the woman know about Irene?
(a) Her race.
(b) Her occupation.
(c) Her name.
(d) Her religion.
4. What makes Irene stop shopping when she's in Chicago?
(a) The rain.
(b) The traffic.
(c) The crowds.
(d) The heat.
5. What relationship does Gertrude have to Irene?
(a) Former colleague.
(b) Childhood friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the woman stares at Irene at the hotel, what does Irene fear the woman is thinking about her?
2. What would upset John?
3. Who stares at Irene at the hotel?
4. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
5. Whom do Irene and Gertrude talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
2. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
3. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
4. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
5. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
6. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
7. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
8. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
9. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
10. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)