|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Irene ask Brian to do after breakfast?
(a) Drive her to work.
(b) Drive her to the printers.
(c) Write a letter to Clare.
(d) Clean up the breakfast dishes.
2. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
(a) The Apollo.
(b) The Harlem School District.
(c) The Negro Welfare League .
(d) City Hall.
3. How does Irene respond to Brian?
(a) She thinks he's wrong but she'll go along with him.
(b) She agrees with him.
(c) She stomps off.
(d) She is surprised by his wisdom.
4. How is Clare's coloring described?
(b) Peaches and cream.
(d) Golden and pale.
5. Where is Irene seated at the hotel?
(a) In a back room.
(b) On the main floor.
(c) In the basement.
(d) On the roof.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Irene leave?
2. What issue does Irene have with Clare?
3. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
4. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
5. What good quality does Irene have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
2. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
3. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
4. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
5. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
6. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
7. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
8. What do Irene and Brian discuss on the way to the printer's business?
9. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
10. What is some background information about the author?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)