|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Irene plan to tell Clare when she responds to her letter?
(a) They should always be friend.
(b) Her people don't want her back.
(c) They should cut off all contact.
(d) She should leave her husband.
2. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
3. Clare can pass as _________.
4. What relative of Clare's was visited by Irene's father?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her aunts.
5. When does this chapter take place?
(a) One year after her meeting with Clare in Chicago.
(b) Right after her encounter with Clare in Chicago.
(c) Two years after her encounter with Clare in Chicago.
(d) Before her meeting with Clare in Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Irene try to ignore?
2. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
3. Irene thinks the woman who sits near her at the hotel looks _____________.
4. Why does Brian become angry?
5. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
2. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
3. What does Brian tell Irene about someone who can pass for white?
4. When does Irene decide to write Clare back? How has she decided to respond?
5. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
6. What biased talk offends Irene when she meets with Clare and Gertrude?
7. How does Brian respond to Irene's concerns about Junior?
8. What do Brian and Irene discuss while they eat breakfast?
9. What are John Bellew's real feelings about black people?
10. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)