|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would upset John?
(a) People know Clare is black.
(b) Clare and his daughter are black.
(c) His family's reaction.
(d) Clare felt she had to lie.
2. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
(a) An English man and a West Indies mother.
(b) A German man and an African mother.
(c) A West Indian man and a Dutch mother.
(d) A Dutch man and a West Indian mother.
3. How does Irene first react to Clare's note?
(a) She doesn't want to read it.
(b) She rips it up.
(c) She throws it away.
(d) She ignores it.
4. When does Irene decide to respond to Clare's letter?
(a) The day after she receives it.
(b) The next week.
(d) The day she receives it.
5. What do Irene and Brian call their son?
(c) Little Brian.
(d) Brian II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
2. What kept Irene from standing up to John?
3. For what was Irene supposed to be dressed?
4. What does Irene ask Brian to do after breakfast?
5. What does Irene plan to organize for the Negro Welfare League?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is some background information about the author?
2. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
3. How does Irene react to John Bellew's cruel words?
4. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
5. What does Clare tell Irene in the note she sent to Irene?
6. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
7. What does Brian advise Irene to do about Clare?
8. What do Clare and Gertrude fear about each of their pregnancies?
9. Whom else did Clare invite along when she meets Irene? What do Clare and the other guest have in common?
10. What is Irene's intention in bring up Junior's problems?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)