|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
(a) When Irene fell out of love with him.
(b) When he realized he didn't love Irene.
(c) When he met Clare.
(d) They didn't move to Brazil.
2. What will Irene never know about Clare and Brian?
(a) How much they are together.
(b) What they say about her.
(c) How long they have been involved.
(d) If they are sexually involved.
3. Why did Irene regret not speaking to John Bellew?
(a) She could have gave him a piece of her mind.
(b) She could have invited him over.
(c) She could have apologize to him.
(d) She could have told him about Clare's racial heritage.
4. How does Brian react to Clare's visits?
(a) He's bored with her.
(b) He leaves the room when she comes.
(c) He's fall under her spell.
(d) He's annoyed with her.
5. What makes Irene think she's right about her feelings that Brian and Clare are involved?
(a) She heard rumors about it.
(b) She followed them.
(c) She has been seen with other men.
(d) Clare confessed.
6. Brian thinks that Clare was killed by ______________.
(a) Mrs. Freeland.
7. What danger does Irene discuss with Clare?
(a) Coming to Harlem.
(b) Creating a threat to her marriage.
(c) Visiting at night.
(d) Creating a threat to Irene's marriage.
8. Where does Clare becomes a regular visitor?
(a) Wenthworth's home.
(b) The Redfield home.
(c) The local church.
(d) The dance hall.
9. Why did Brian invite Clare to the party?
(a) She was upset that Irene didn't invite her.
(b) He wanted to make Irene jealous.
(c) He wanted to see her again.
(d) He wants Irene and Clare to make up.
10. What drove Irene to homicide?
(a) She had always been jealous of Clare.
(b) She wanted to make Brian miserable.
(c) She wanted to keep what was hers.
(d) She had murdered before.
11. How does Irene respond to Clare's anger?
(a) She ignores her.
(b) Tells her to leave.
(c) With honesty.
(d) With anger.
12. What kind of party is Irene having in the afternoon?
(a) Christmas party.
(b) Cocktail party.
(c) Tea party.
(d) Dinner party.
13. How does Irene react to her realization that Clare and Brian are involved?
14. What is Clare unwilling to give up?
(a) Her heritage.
(b) The things that are important to her.
(c) Her friendship with Irene.
(d) Her marriage.
15. What does Clare learn about the dance?
(a) No white people will be in attendance.
(b) Other white people will be in attendance.
(c) No black people will be in attendance.
(d) It has been cancelled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotions does Irene struggle with during the party?
2. What did Irene hope to accomplish with Clare gone?
3. Whom does Brian talk to at the party?
4. What season of the year is it?
5. What does Irene want to accomplish by telling John the secret?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)