|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irene plan to keep Clare away from Bryan?
(a) Tell her Brian is out.
(b) Ask her to come back later.
(c) Tell her to go ahead to the party.
(d) Have her stay while she dresses.
2. Who stops by the party?
(d) John Bellew.
3. How does Irene react to John Bellew?
(a) She greets him.
(b) She smiles at him.
(c) She snubs him.
(d) She turns away from him.
4. Why did Brian invite Clare to the party?
(a) He wants Irene and Clare to make up.
(b) He wanted to make Irene jealous.
(c) She was upset that Irene didn't invite her.
(d) He wanted to see her again.
5. What is Clare unwilling to give up?
(a) Her marriage.
(b) Her heritage.
(c) Her friendship with Irene.
(d) The things that are important to her.
6. What is Clare's mood when she visits Irene?
7. What does Irene think John will do if she tells him the secret?
(a) He might divorce or kill Clare.
(b) He might attack Brian.
(c) He might take his kids away from Clare.
(d) He might leave town.
8. How does Irene react to her realization that Clare and Brian are involved?
9. With whom does Clare dance?
(b) A handsome stranger.
(c) Brian and many other men.
(d) Everyone but Brian.
10. Why doesn't Irene get to introduce Clare to Brian?
(a) She doesn't want them to meet.
(b) Brian doesn't want to meet her.
(c) She's busy dressing.
(d) Brian's not there.
11. What does Irene tell Clare and Brian about running into John?
(a) She doesn't tell them.
(b) She told him about Clare's background.
(c) She told him about them.
(d) She had a long talk with him.
12. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
(a) When he realized he didn't love Irene.
(b) When Irene fell out of love with him.
(c) When he met Clare.
(d) They didn't move to Brazil.
13. What does Clare learn about the dance?
(a) No black people will be in attendance.
(b) No white people will be in attendance.
(c) Other white people will be in attendance.
(d) It has been cancelled.
14. Who invited Clare to the party?
15. What secret does Irene think of telling John Bellew?
(a) Clare is a criminal.
(b) Clare is promiscuous.
(c) Clare is having an affair.
(d) Clare is part black.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls to say she'll be attending Mrs. Freeland's party?
2. What is Irene afraid might happen if Clare gets a divorce?
3. What word best describes Irene's feelings about Clare?
4. What does Irene worry about?
5. What kind of party is Irene having in the afternoon?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)