|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Brian hide his feelings for Clare?
(a) Clare brags about it to others.
(b) Clare flaunts it.
(c) He shows it on his face.
(d) Brian brags about it to others.
2. What are Brian and Clare doing at the party?
(b) Carrying on an intimate conversation.
(c) Dancing cheek to cheek.
3. How do the servants react to Clare?
(a) They treat her with respect.
(b) They don't like her.
(c) They ignore her.
(d) They love her.
4. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
(a) When Irene fell out of love with him.
(b) They didn't move to Brazil.
(c) When he met Clare.
(d) When he realized he didn't love Irene.
5. Whom does John Bellew look for at the party?
(c) Mrs. Freeland.
6. Whom does Irene run into when she's shopping?
(d) John Bellew.
7. What is Irene afraid for Wentworth to know?
(a) She's upset about Brian and Clare.
(b) She's clumsy.
(c) She's angry.
(d) She's nervous about hosting the party.
8. What makes Irene think she's right about her feelings that Brian and Clare are involved?
(a) She followed them.
(b) She has been seen with other men.
(c) Clare confessed.
(d) She heard rumors about it.
9. Who calls to say she'll be attending Mrs. Freeland's party?
(b) Irene's mother.
10. What does Clare learn about the dance?
(a) No white people will be in attendance.
(b) It has been cancelled.
(c) Other white people will be in attendance.
(d) No black people will be in attendance.
11. Why did Brian invite Clare to the party?
(a) She was upset that Irene didn't invite her.
(b) He wanted to see her again.
(c) He wanted to make Irene jealous.
(d) He wants Irene and Clare to make up.
12. What will Irene never know about Clare and Brian?
(a) How long they have been involved.
(b) How much they are together.
(c) If they are sexually involved.
(d) What they say about her.
13. How might Clare have died for nothing?
(a) She broke off her affair with Brian.
(b) She may not have been having an affair with Brian.
(c) Brian realized he loved Irene.
(d) Brian broke off the affair with Clare.
14. How does Irene plan to keep Clare away from Bryan?
(a) Tell her Brian is out.
(b) Ask her to come back later.
(c) Tell her to go ahead to the party.
(d) Have her stay while she dresses.
15. Who interrupts the conversation between Clare and Irene?
(a) Hugh Wentworth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Irene and Hugh Wentworth talk about?
2. What is Irene doing when Clare comes to her house?
3. What does Irene realize about Clare and Brian?
4. What does Irene wonder about concerning her encounter with John?
5. What is Hugh Wentworth famous for?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)