|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irene react to her realization that Clare and Brian are involved?
2. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
(a) They didn't move to Brazil.
(b) When he realized he didn't love Irene.
(c) When Irene fell out of love with him.
(d) When he met Clare.
3. Why is Irene concerned about Clare's frequent visits?
(a) Because she needs to work out things with John.
(b) Because she's attractive.
(c) Because she stays too long.
(d) Because of her feelings on passing.
4. What will Irene never know about Clare and Brian?
(a) How long they have been involved.
(b) How much they are together.
(c) What they say about her.
(d) If they are sexually involved.
5. Irene is shopping with what black friend?
(a) Mrs. Felise Freeland.
6. Whom does John Bellew look for at the party?
(a) Mrs. Freeland.
7. What does Irene do when she returns from a shopping trip?
(a) Starts wrapping presents.
(b) Goes to bed.
(c) Makes dinner.
(d) Hides gifts.
8. Why can't Brian hide his feelings for Clare?
(a) Clare flaunts it.
(b) Brian brags about it to others.
(c) He shows it on his face.
(d) Clare brags about it to others.
9. What word best describes Irene's feelings about Clare?
10. What happened to Clare?
(a) She recovered.
(b) She fell on a tree and survived.
(c) She was unconscious.
(d) She died immediately.
11. What aspect of Brian's affair lessens its threat?
(a) Clare is unavailable.
(b) Brian would never leave his children.
(c) Clare has many lovers.
(d) Brian is not in love with Clare.
12. How might Clare have died for nothing?
(a) Brian realized he loved Irene.
(b) She broke off her affair with Brian.
(c) She may not have been having an affair with Brian.
(d) Brian broke off the affair with Clare.
13. What do Irene and Hugh Wentworth talk about?
(a) Racial tensions.
(b) Marital problems.
14. Why does Irene think that it's a bad idea for Irene to go to the dance?
(a) Clare is not a good dancer.
(b) There is no room for more guests.
(c) People won't accept Clare.
(d) The truth may come out.
15. What does Irene wonder about concerning her encounter with John?
(a) If someone saw them talking .
(b) If he wonders why she didn't speak.
(c) What John will say to Clare.
(d) If he already knows about Clare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Irene afraid might happen if Clare gets a divorce?
2. Whom does Brian talk to at the party?
3. How does Irene plan to keep Clare away from Bryan?
4. Why doesn't Irene get to introduce Clare to Brian?
5. How does Irene react to Clare's request?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)