|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Irene receive a visit?
2. What does John Bellew do when he finds Clare?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He kisses her on the cheek.
(d) He yells at her.
3. How does she shield the truth from Wentworth?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She leaves the room.
(c) She makes an excuse.
(d) She refuses to discuss it.
4. Who helps pick up Irene's tea cup?
(a) A handsome stranger.
5. What emotions does Irene struggle with during the party?
(a) Anger and bitterness.
(b) Rage and thoughts of vengeance.
(c) Grief, shame, and embarrassment.
(d) Disinterest and acceptance.
6. What happened to Clare?
(a) She died immediately.
(b) She was unconscious.
(c) She fell on a tree and survived.
(d) She recovered.
7. What is Irene afraid might happen if Clare gets a divorce?
(a) John will involve Brian.
(b) Clare will be over more often.
(c) Irene will leave town.
(d) Brian will leave her for Clare.
8. What makes Irene think she's right about her feelings that Brian and Clare are involved?
(a) Clare confessed.
(b) She followed them.
(c) She heard rumors about it.
(d) She has been seen with other men.
9. Could the alleged affair between Brian and Clare be in Irene's imagination?
(b) No, she has evidence.
(d) Yes, Wentworth knows it's not true.
10. Why does Irene think that it's a bad idea for Irene to go to the dance?
(a) People won't accept Clare.
(b) The truth may come out.
(c) Clare is not a good dancer.
(d) There is no room for more guests.
11. Who invited Clare to the party?
12. Why does Irene think it's not a good idea to correspond with Clare?
(a) They will both be in danger.
(b) Irene no longer respects Clare.
(c) Brian doesn't want Irene to correspond.
(d) They are no longer close.
13. What does Irene regret about killing Clare?
(a) She fears the police will figure out she is the guilty party.
(b) She didn't get to confront her about stealing her husband.
(c) She didn't get to tell Brian about Clare being black.
(d) She fears she'll go to hell.
14. Who interrupts the conversation between Clare and Irene?
(a) Hugh Wentworth.
15. Why doesn't Irene get to introduce Clare to Brian?
(a) She's busy dressing.
(b) She doesn't want them to meet.
(c) Brian's not there.
(d) Brian doesn't want to meet her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the breaking point in the marriage for Brian?
2. Where does Clare becomes a regular visitor?
3. What does Irene realize about Clare and Brian?
4. Why is Irene concerned about Clare's frequent visits?
5. Whom was Clare with when she became reacquainted with Irene?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)