|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How might Clare have died for nothing?
(a) She broke off her affair with Brian.
(b) She may not have been having an affair with Brian.
(c) Brian broke off the affair with Clare.
(d) Brian realized he loved Irene.
2. What does Clare want to hear about?
(a) Wentworth's next project.
(b) Wentworth's newest book.
(c) The museum.
(d) The dance.
3. How does Clare react to her discussion with Irene?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She bursts into tears.
(c) She leaves.
(d) She gets angry.
4. What is Clare unwilling to give up?
(a) The things that are important to her.
(b) Her heritage.
(c) Her marriage.
(d) Her friendship with Irene.
5. What does Irene realize about Clare and Brian?
(a) They are alike.
(b) They don't like each other.
(c) They are not to be trusted.
(d) They are having an affair.
6. How do the servants react to Clare?
(a) They love her.
(b) They ignore her.
(c) They treat her with respect.
(d) They don't like her.
7. Why did Brian invite Clare to the party?
(a) He wanted to see her again.
(b) He wanted to make Irene jealous.
(c) She was upset that Irene didn't invite her.
(d) He wants Irene and Clare to make up.
8. Irene is afraid that John Bellew might _____________.
(a) Cause a scene.
(b) Confront Irene.
(c) Punch Brian.
(d) Divorce Clare.
9. What does Irene want to accomplish by telling John the secret?
(a) Get Brian in trouble with John.
(b) Get Clare in trouble.
(c) Cause Clare's divorce.
(d) End Brian's affair with Clare.
10. What is Clare's mood when she visits Irene?
11. Whom does Clare ask to invite her to the dance?
12. Why does Irene decide against telling John the secret?
(a) She is afraid of starting a fight.
(b) She thinks it will backfire on her.
(c) Out of loyalty for her own race.
(d) She thinks Brian will be mad.
13. What does John Bellew say to Clare?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He knows about her affair.
(c) He knows what she is.
(d) He wants a divorce.
14. What did Irene hope to accomplish with Clare gone?
(a) She'd have more privacy.
(b) She'd get her life back.
(c) She'd get Brian back.
(d) John might fall in love with her.
15. How does Irene react to Clare's request?
(a) She resists.
(b) She ignores it.
(c) She agrees.
(d) She rejects it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Bellew do when he finds Clare?
2. How long does Irene struggle with the thought of Brian's affair with Clare?
3. What emotions does Irene struggle with during the party?
4. Who arranged for a ride for Clare?
5. What does Irene decide to do about Clare's letter?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)