|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of party is Irene having in the afternoon?
(a) Tea party.
(b) Cocktail party.
(c) Dinner party.
(d) Christmas party.
2. Whom does Irene run into when she's shopping?
(d) John Bellew.
3. Where does Clare becomes a regular visitor?
(a) The dance hall.
(b) Wenthworth's home.
(c) The local church.
(d) The Redfield home.
4. What does Irene think John will do if she tells him the secret?
(a) He might leave town.
(b) He might divorce or kill Clare.
(c) He might attack Brian.
(d) He might take his kids away from Clare.
5. What danger does Irene discuss with Clare?
(a) Creating a threat to Irene's marriage.
(b) Coming to Harlem.
(c) Creating a threat to her marriage.
(d) Visiting at night.
6. What secret does Irene think of telling John Bellew?
(a) Clare is a criminal.
(b) Clare is part black.
(c) Clare is promiscuous.
(d) Clare is having an affair.
7. How does she shield the truth from Wentworth?
(a) She refuses to discuss it.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She leaves the room.
(d) She makes an excuse.
8. What does Irene decide to do about Clare's letter?
(a) Wait a while and answer later.
(b) Not to answer it.
(c) Answer it right away.
(d) Call her instead.
9. What word best describes Irene's feelings about Clare?
10. Irene is afraid that John Bellew might _____________.
(a) Confront Irene.
(b) Punch Brian.
(c) Cause a scene.
(d) Divorce Clare.
11. From whom does Irene receive a visit?
12. Who saw Irene push Clare?
(b) No one.
(d) Mrs. Freeland.
13. Whom does Clare ask to invite her to the dance?
14. What do Irene and Hugh Wentworth talk about?
(b) Racial tensions.
(c) Marital problems.
15. Whom does Brian talk to at the party?
(c) Mrs. Freeland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irene wonder about concerning her encounter with John?
2. How does Irene react to her realization that Clare and Brian are involved?
3. What is Hugh Wentworth famous for?
4. How does Irene respond to Clare's anger?
5. Why does Irene decide against telling John the secret?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)