|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the woman stares at Irene at the hotel, what does Irene fear the woman is thinking about her?
(a) Irene is unattractive.
(b) Irene is mixed.
(c) Irene is white.
(d) Irene is black.
2. What does Irene plan to tell Clare when she responds to her letter?
(a) Her people don't want her back.
(b) They should cut off all contact.
(c) They should always be friend.
(d) She should leave her husband.
3. Why does Irene want Brian to take Junior away?
(a) So he can have a better environment.
(b) So he can get away from bad kids.
(c) So he can learn a foreign language.
(d) So he can go to a better school.
4. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
(a) He agrees with her.
(b) He gets angry and argues.
(c) He thinks she's overreacting.
(d) He says he'll think about it.
5. Why does Brian become angry?
(a) Irene is too domineering.
(b) Irene doesn't think he's doing the right thing for his children.
(c) Irene doesn't understand him.
(d) Irene is too critical of him.
6. When does Irene decide to respond to Clare's letter?
(b) The next week.
(c) The day after she receives it.
(d) The day she receives it.
7. What relative of Clare's was white?
8. Where does Irene promise to meet Clare at the next Tuesday?
(a) At her hotel.
(b) At her apartment.
(c) At her mother's house.
(d) At her office.
9. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
(a) The Apollo.
(b) City Hall.
(c) The Negro Welfare League .
(d) The Harlem School District.
10. Where does Irene has the cab driver to take her?
(a) A quiet place.
(b) A cool place.
(c) A cheap place.
(d) A distant place.
11. What does Brian advise Irene to do relative to Clare?
(a) Scold her.
(b) Not encourage her.
(c) Encourage her.
(d) Ignore her.
12. Where does Irene want Brian to take Junior?
13. Who comes to Irene's table?
(a) The man.
(b) The waiter.
(c) The host.
(d) The woman.
14. What kept Irene from standing up to John?
(a) Her embarrassment about her family.
(b) Her friendship with Clare.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Her fear of him.
15. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
(a) A Dutch man and a West Indian mother.
(b) A German man and an African mother.
(c) A West Indian man and a Dutch mother.
(d) An English man and a West Indies mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Irene plan to get back from the printers?
2. What does Irene ask Brian to do after breakfast?
3. How many black people has John Bellew met?
4. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
5. What does Clare say about John's behavior in her note?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)