|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relative of Clare's was visited by Irene's father?
(a) Her aunts.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother.
2. What does Irene ask Brian to do after breakfast?
(a) Drive her to the printers.
(b) Write a letter to Clare.
(c) Clean up the breakfast dishes.
(d) Drive her to work.
3. What does the woman know about Irene?
(a) Her occupation.
(b) Her race.
(c) Her name.
(d) Her religion.
4. What does Brian advise Irene to do relative to Clare?
(a) Scold her.
(b) Ignore her.
(c) Not encourage her.
(d) Encourage her.
5. Irene recalls a trip to what city?
(c) St. Louis.
6. What does Clare express in her note?
(a) She is glad she is married to a white man.
(b) She wants to leave John.
(c) She regrets she is part black.
(d) She wants to return to her race.
7. What does Brian think is appropriate for Junior to learn?
(a) How to take up for himself.
(b) A foreign language.
(c) What the other kids are telling him.
(d) What is taught at his school.
8. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
9. Who will be in danger if Irene speaks up to John Bellew?
(a) Clare's children.
(c) Clare, Gertrude, and herself.
10. For whom does Irene have the most concern?
11. What does Irene plan to tell Clare when she responds to her letter?
(a) They should always be friend.
(b) They should cut off all contact.
(c) She should leave her husband.
(d) Her people don't want her back.
12. Where did Brian have a desire to live?
(a) South Africa.
13. Who is Clare's husband?
(a) Charles Bell.
(b) John Bellew.
(c) John Belling.
(d) Charles Bellew.
14. What does Clare send to Irene?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A note.
(c) A present.
15. How does Irene first react to Clare's note?
(a) She doesn't want to read it.
(b) She rips it up.
(c) She ignores it.
(d) She throws it away.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
2. Who leaves the table at the hotel?
3. Why does Irene bring up Junior's problems?
4. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
5. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)