|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Irene try to ignore?
(a) The waiter.
(b) The handsome man.
(c) The beautiful blond woman.
(d) The host.
2. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
(a) An English man and a West Indies mother.
(b) A German man and an African mother.
(c) A Dutch man and a West Indian mother.
(d) A West Indian man and a Dutch mother.
3. How does John Bellew feel about black people?
(a) He thinks they are trouble.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He likes them.
(d) He treats them like everyone else.
4. To whom is Gertrude married?
(a) A Mexican man.
(b) A white man.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A black man.
5. Who sits near Irene at the hotel?
(a) Two men.
(b) Two women.
(c) A young couple.
(d) An old couple.
6. Whom is Irene determined not to see again?
(a) Clare Kendry.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) Her father.
7. How does Irene react to her husband's thoughts about Clare?
(a) She thinks he is not thinking clearly.
(b) She is happy he agrees.
(c) She thinks he's not saying how he really feels.
(d) She thinks he'll change his mind.
8. What relationship does Gertrude have to Irene?
(b) Former colleague.
(c) Childhood friend.
9. What does Clare send to Irene?
(a) A present.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A note.
10. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
(b) Clare's attractriveness.
(c) Outside influence.
(d) Stress from raising the children.
11. Who stares at Irene at the hotel?
(a) The maitre 'de.
(b) The beautiful woman.
(c) The handsome man.
(d) The waiter.
12. How does Irene distract Brian?
(a) She asks him to wait in the kitchen for her.
(b) She asks him to telephone her mother.
(c) She shows him Clare's letter.
(d) She asks him to move a table.
13. What does Brian think is appropriate for Junior to learn?
(a) A foreign language.
(b) How to take up for himself.
(c) What the other kids are telling him.
(d) What is taught at his school.
14. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
(a) Her aunt's farm.
(b) In Europe.
(c) Her grandmother's house.
(d) Boarding school.
15. How do Irene and Gertrude feel about John?
Short Answer Questions
1. What invitation does Irene accept from Clare?
2. What does Clare say about John's behavior in her note?
3. Why does Brian become angry?
4. Irene thinks that what group of people cannot tell what race she is?
5. What does Irene plan to tell Clare when she responds to her letter?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)