|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clare get hold of Irene?
(a) Runs into her.
(b) Knocks on her door..
(c) Calls repeatedly.
(d) Follows her.
2. Where does Irene want Brian to take Junior?
3. How does Irene react to her husband's thoughts about Clare?
(a) She is happy he agrees.
(b) She thinks he is not thinking clearly.
(c) She thinks he'll change his mind.
(d) She thinks he's not saying how he really feels.
4. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
(a) Clare's attractriveness.
(b) Outside influence.
(d) Stress from raising the children.
5. For what was Irene supposed to be dressed?
6. What kept Irene from standing up to John?
(a) Her embarrassment about her family.
(b) Her fear of him.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Her friendship with Clare.
7. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
(c) Childhood friend.
8. For whom does Irene have the most concern?
9. What relative of Clare's was white?
10. What was Irene's father hiding about Clare?
(a) She was black.
(b) She was part Mexian.
(c) She was part Chinese.
(d) She passed for white.
11. Irene thinks the woman who sits near her at the hotel looks _____________.
12. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
(a) Her father is arrested.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Her house burns down.
(d) Her father's death.
13. Whom is Irene determined not to see again?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her father.
(c) Clare Kendry.
(d) Her aunt.
14. What relationship does Gertrude have to Irene?
(c) Former colleague.
(d) Childhood friend.
15. Why does Irene want Brian to take Junior away?
(a) So he can get away from bad kids.
(b) So he can have a better environment.
(c) So he can go to a better school.
(d) So he can learn a foreign language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do Irene and Gertrude talk about?
2. How does Irene distract Brian?
3. How does Irene respond to Brian?
4. What has Junior been hearing at school?
5. Who is Clare's husband?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)