|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who escorts Irene to breakfast?
(b) Her father.
2. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
(a) City Hall.
(b) The Harlem School District.
(c) The Apollo.
(d) The Negro Welfare League .
3. Whom does Irene try to ignore?
(a) The waiter.
(b) The handsome man.
(c) The host.
(d) The beautiful blond woman.
4. Why does Irene bring up Junior's problems?
(a) She wants Brian to pay more attention to Junior.
(b) She wants Brian to take Junior away.
(c) She wants Brian to complain to the school.
(d) She wants Brian to talk to Junior.
5. Why does Brian become angry?
(a) Irene doesn't understand him.
(b) Irene is too domineering.
(c) Irene doesn't think he's doing the right thing for his children.
(d) Irene is too critical of him.
6. For what was Irene supposed to be dressed?
7. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
(a) He is a rude person.
(b) He is teasing her.
(c) Her skin turned darker over the year.
(d) To insult her.
8. How does Irene want to respond to John Bellew?
(a) Agree with him.
(b) Ignore him.
(c) Tell him off.
(d) Defend her race.
9. How is Clare's coloring described?
(a) Peaches and cream.
(d) Golden and pale.
10. What makes Irene stop shopping when she's in Chicago?
(a) The rain.
(b) The heat.
(c) The crowds.
(d) The traffic.
11. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
12. How does Clare get hold of Irene?
(a) Follows her.
(b) Runs into her.
(c) Knocks on her door..
(d) Calls repeatedly.
13. Who will be in danger if Irene speaks up to John Bellew?
(a) Clare's children.
(b) Clare, Gertrude, and herself.
14. What does Irene order at the hotel?
(b) A snack.
(d) A sandwich.
15. When the woman stares at Irene at the hotel, what does Irene fear the woman is thinking about her?
(a) Irene is unattractive.
(b) Irene is black.
(c) Irene is white.
(d) Irene is mixed.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
2. Who comes into the room when Irene is still reading Clare's letter?
3. Irene thinks that what group of people cannot tell what race she is?
4. How does Irene plan to get back from the printers?
5. Whom do Irene and Gertrude talk about?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)