|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Irene's father hiding about Clare?
(a) She passed for white.
(b) She was part Chinese.
(c) She was part Mexian.
(d) She was black.
2. Who stares at Irene at the hotel?
(a) The maitre 'de.
(b) The handsome man.
(c) The beautiful woman.
(d) The waiter.
3. What issue does Irene have with Clare?
(a) She thinks Clare is dishonest.
(b) She thinks Clare has deserted her race.
(c) She thinks Clare wants to be white.
(d) She thinks Clare wants to avoid her.
4. Who does Irene Redfield receive a letter from?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) A childhood friend.
5. What relative of Clare's was white?
6. When does this chapter take place?
(a) One year after her meeting with Clare in Chicago.
(b) Before her meeting with Clare in Chicago.
(c) Two years after her encounter with Clare in Chicago.
(d) Right after her encounter with Clare in Chicago.
7. With whom does Irene leave?
(a) John Bellew.
(c) Her mother.
8. How many black people has John Bellew met?
(a) Less than ten.
(d) A few.
9. What does the woman know about Irene?
(a) Her religion.
(b) Her name.
(c) Her occupation.
(d) Her race.
10. Whom is Irene determined not to see again?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her boyfriend.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Clare Kendry.
11. What does Clare express in her note?
(a) She is glad she is married to a white man.
(b) She wants to leave John.
(c) She wants to return to her race.
(d) She regrets she is part black.
12. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
(a) Stress from raising the children.
(b) Clare's attractriveness.
(d) Outside influence.
13. What does Irene order at the hotel?
(b) A sandwich.
(c) A snack.
14. What does Irene plan to tell Clare when she responds to her letter?
(a) They should cut off all contact.
(b) They should always be friend.
(c) Her people don't want her back.
(d) She should leave her husband.
15. Why does Irene bring up Junior's problems?
(a) She wants Brian to talk to Junior.
(b) She wants Brian to complain to the school.
(c) She wants Brian to take Junior away.
(d) She wants Brian to pay more attention to Junior.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
2. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
3. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
4. What does Irene want to drink when she finishes shopping?
5. What does Brian advise Irene to do relative to Clare?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)