|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Irene's table?
(a) The waiter.
(b) The host.
(c) The man.
(d) The woman.
2. How many black people has John Bellew met?
(b) A few.
(c) Less than ten.
3. Who comes into the room when Irene is still reading Clare's letter?
4. What kept Irene from standing up to John?
(a) Her pride.
(b) Her friendship with Clare.
(c) Her embarrassment about her family.
(d) Her fear of him.
5. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
6. Irene thinks the woman who sits near her at the hotel looks _____________.
7. When do Irene and Brian discuss their son?
(a) In their bedroom.
(b) On the phone.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) On the way to the printers.
8. What does Clare send to Irene?
(b) A note.
(c) A present.
(d) A telegram.
9. Who is Clare's husband?
(a) John Bellew.
(b) Charles Bell.
(c) Charles Bellew.
(d) John Belling.
10. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
(a) His family.
(b) Clare's letter.
(c) His job.
(d) Her job.
11. Where does Irene promise to meet Clare at the next Tuesday?
(a) At her apartment.
(b) At her hotel.
(c) At her office.
(d) At her mother's house.
12. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
13. Who is in the most jeopardy?
14. Why does Irene want Brian to take Junior away?
(a) So he can go to a better school.
(b) So he can get away from bad kids.
(c) So he can have a better environment.
(d) So he can learn a foreign language.
15. When does Irene decide to respond to Clare's letter?
(b) The day after she receives it.
(c) The day she receives it.
(d) The next week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Irene bring up Junior's problems?
2. How does Irene want to respond to John Bellew?
3. How does Irene feel about Clare?
4. How do Irene and Gertrude feel about John?
5. What makes Irene stop shopping when she's in Chicago?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)