|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irene recalls a trip to what city?
(b) St. Louis.
2. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York City.
(c) Los Angeles.
3. Whom does Irene try to ignore?
(a) The beautiful blond woman.
(b) The waiter.
(c) The handsome man.
(d) The host.
4. What does the conflict between Brian and Irene indicate?
(a) There is friction in the marriage.
(b) Brian is cheating on Irene.
(c) Irene no longer loves Brian.
(d) The marriage is doomed.
5. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
6. Who comes to Irene's table?
(a) The woman.
(b) The man.
(c) The host.
(d) The waiter.
7. What does John Bellew call Clare?
8. What do Irene and Brian call their son?
(a) Little Brian.
(b) Brian II.
9. How does Irene want to respond to John Bellew?
(a) Ignore him.
(b) Defend her race.
(c) Agree with him.
(d) Tell him off.
10. Who comes into the room when Irene is still reading Clare's letter?
11. Who escorts Irene to breakfast?
(a) Her father.
12. Where did Brian have a desire to live?
(d) South Africa.
13. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
14. What does Clare express in her note?
(a) She wants to return to her race.
(b) She is glad she is married to a white man.
(c) She wants to leave John.
(d) She regrets she is part black.
15. How do Irene and Gertrude feel about John?
Short Answer Questions
1. Clare can pass as _________.
2. What does Clare send to Irene?
3. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
4. What issue does Irene have with Clare?
5. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)