|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irene respond to Brian?
(a) She agrees with him.
(b) She stomps off.
(c) She thinks he's wrong but she'll go along with him.
(d) She is surprised by his wisdom.
2. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
3. What good quality does Irene have?
4. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
(a) Her father is arrested.
(b) Her house burns down.
(c) Her father's death.
(d) Her mother's death.
5. What is the name of the woman who comes to Claire's table?
(a) Colleen Kendry.
(b) Carol Kendrick.
(c) Clare Kendeall.
(d) Clare Kendry.
6. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
(a) A Dutch man and a West Indian mother.
(b) A West Indian man and a Dutch mother.
(c) A German man and an African mother.
(d) An English man and a West Indies mother.
7. What does the conflict between Brian and Irene indicate?
(a) The marriage is doomed.
(b) There is friction in the marriage.
(c) Irene no longer loves Brian.
(d) Brian is cheating on Irene.
8. Irene thinks that what group of people cannot tell what race she is?
(b) All people.
(c) White people.
(d) Black people.
9. Where does Irene want Brian to take Junior?
10. What does Clare express in her note?
(a) She wants to leave John.
(b) She regrets she is part black.
(c) She is glad she is married to a white man.
(d) She wants to return to her race.
11. Where does Irene promise to meet Clare at the next Tuesday?
(a) At her office.
(b) At her hotel.
(c) At her mother's house.
(d) At her apartment.
12. What do Irene and Brian call their son?
(b) Little Brian.
(d) Brian II.
13. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
(a) Stress from raising the children.
(b) Outside influence.
(d) Clare's attractriveness.
14. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
(a) He is a rude person.
(b) To insult her.
(c) He is teasing her.
(d) Her skin turned darker over the year.
15. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gertrude's husband know about her heritage?
2. What was Irene's father hiding about Clare?
3. How does Irene first react to Clare's note?
4. What does Irene order at the hotel?
5. How does Irene plan to get back from the printers?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)