|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom do Irene and Gertrude talk about?
(a) Clare and John.
(c) Clare's father.
(d) John Bellew.
2. What was Irene's father hiding about Clare?
(a) She was part Mexian.
(b) She was part Chinese.
(c) She passed for white.
(d) She was black.
3. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
4. Why does Irene want Brian to take Junior away?
(a) So he can have a better environment.
(b) So he can get away from bad kids.
(c) So he can learn a foreign language.
(d) So he can go to a better school.
5. What does Irene want to drink when she finishes shopping?
6. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
(a) Clare's attractriveness.
(b) Stress from raising the children.
(d) Outside influence.
7. What does John Bellew call Clare?
8. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
(a) His job.
(b) Her job.
(c) His family.
(d) Clare's letter.
9. Where does Irene promise to meet Clare at the next Tuesday?
(a) At her mother's house.
(b) At her office.
(c) At her hotel.
(d) At her apartment.
10. What has Junior been hearing at school?
(a) Unfortunate things.
(b) Friendly words.
(c) Bad news.
11. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
(a) Childhood friend.
12. Where does Nella Larsen become a shining star?
(a) On Broadway.
(b) In Hollywood
(c) The Apollo.
(d) The Harlem Renaissance.
13. Irene recalls a trip to what city?
(d) St. Louis.
14. Who talked Brian out of moving to Brazil?
15. What do Irene and Brian call their son?
(a) Brian II.
(b) Little Brian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
2. What does Irene order at the hotel?
3. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
4. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
5. Whom is Irene determined not to see again?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)