|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York City.
(d) Los Angeles.
2. What would upset John?
(a) People know Clare is black.
(b) Clare and his daughter are black.
(c) Clare felt she had to lie.
(d) His family's reaction.
3. Clare can pass as _________.
4. What issue does Irene have with Clare?
(a) She thinks Clare is dishonest.
(b) She thinks Clare has deserted her race.
(c) She thinks Clare wants to avoid her.
(d) She thinks Clare wants to be white.
5. What good quality does Irene have?
6. What kept Irene from standing up to John?
(a) Her embarrassment about her family.
(b) Her friendship with Clare.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Her fear of him.
7. What does Irene want to drink when she finishes shopping?
8. What does the conflict between Brian and Irene indicate?
(a) The marriage is doomed.
(b) Irene no longer loves Brian.
(c) There is friction in the marriage.
(d) Brian is cheating on Irene.
9. How does Clare get hold of Irene?
(a) Runs into her.
(b) Calls repeatedly.
(c) Knocks on her door..
(d) Follows her.
10. Why is it hard for Irene to resist seeing Clare?
(a) She always keeps her word.
(b) Clare will be upset if she doesn't.
(c) She can't get out of it.
(d) Clare is charming.
11. Why does Irene want Brian to take Junior away?
(a) So he can learn a foreign language.
(b) So he can go to a better school.
(c) So he can get away from bad kids.
(d) So he can have a better environment.
12. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) Her father is arrested.
(c) Her father's death.
(d) Her house burns down.
13. Where does Irene want Brian to take Junior?
14. What does Brian advise Irene to do relative to Clare?
(a) Ignore her.
(b) Encourage her.
(c) Scold her.
(d) Not encourage her.
15. What does Gertrude's husband know about her heritage?
(a) She is part Mexican.
(b) She is white.
(c) She is mixed.
(d) She is black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Irene stop shopping when she's in Chicago?
2. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
3. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
4. Where did Brian have a desire to live?
5. What does the woman know about Irene?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)