|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the cab driver take Irene?
(a) The Carlisle Hotel.
(b) A diner.
(c) The Drayton Hotel.
(d) A small cafe.
2. What has Junior been hearing at school?
(a) Friendly words.
(b) Unfortunate things.
(c) Bad news.
3. Who comes to Irene's table?
(a) The man.
(b) The woman.
(c) The host.
(d) The waiter.
4. How does Clare get hold of Irene?
(a) Follows her.
(b) Calls repeatedly.
(c) Runs into her.
(d) Knocks on her door..
5. Where did Brian have a desire to live?
(a) South Africa.
6. When does this chapter take place?
(a) One year after her meeting with Clare in Chicago.
(b) Right after her encounter with Clare in Chicago.
(c) Before her meeting with Clare in Chicago.
(d) Two years after her encounter with Clare in Chicago.
7. How does John Bellew feel about black people?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He treats them like everyone else.
(c) He likes them.
(d) He thinks they are trouble.
8. What does Irene ask Brian to do after breakfast?
(a) Write a letter to Clare.
(b) Drive her to work.
(c) Drive her to the printers.
(d) Clean up the breakfast dishes.
9. Who does Irene Redfield receive a letter from?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her sister.
(d) A childhood friend.
10. What does Brian say about black people who pass for white?
(a) They wind up hating white people.
(b) They want to return to their own race.
(c) They are ashamed.
(d) They are happy they pass.
11. Why does Brian become angry?
(a) Irene is too critical of him.
(b) Irene doesn't think he's doing the right thing for his children.
(c) Irene doesn't understand him.
(d) Irene is too domineering.
12. Irene recalls a trip to what city?
(d) St. Louis.
13. What does Clare send to Irene?
(a) A note.
(b) A telegram.
(c) A present.
14. What does John Bellew call Clare?
15. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
(a) He is teasing her.
(b) Her skin turned darker over the year.
(c) He is a rude person.
(d) To insult her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Irene and Gertrude feel about John?
2. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
3. Whom else did Clare invite to tea?
4. How does Irene react to her husband's thoughts about Clare?
5. Whom do Irene and Gertrude talk about?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)