|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Irene's table?
(a) The waiter.
(b) The man.
(c) The host.
(d) The woman.
2. Why does John Bellew call Clare "nig"?
(a) He is teasing her.
(b) To insult her.
(c) He is a rude person.
(d) Her skin turned darker over the year.
3. Who will be in danger if Irene speaks up to John Bellew?
(b) Clare's children.
(d) Clare, Gertrude, and herself.
4. Who does Irene Redfield receive a letter from?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) A childhood friend.
(d) Her father.
5. What do Brian and Irene discuss as they eat breakfast?
(a) His job.
(b) Her job.
(c) Clare's letter.
(d) His family.
6. To what city does Irene plan to travel?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) New York City.
7. Who escorts Irene to breakfast?
(b) Her father.
8. When does Irene decide to respond to Clare's letter?
(a) The day after she receives it.
(c) The next week.
(d) The day she receives it.
9. What does Brian say about black people who pass for white?
(a) They are happy they pass.
(b) They wind up hating white people.
(c) They want to return to their own race.
(d) They are ashamed.
10. What does Irene order at the hotel?
(a) A sandwich.
(d) A snack.
11. What does Irene think of the couple who sits near her at the hotel?
12. What does Irene plan to organize for the Negro Welfare League?
(a) A town hall meeting.
(b) A picnic.
(c) A committee meeting.
(d) A dance.
13. Whom is Irene determined not to see again?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her father.
(c) Clare Kendry.
(d) Her boyfriend.
14. How is Clare's coloring described?
(a) Golden and pale.
(d) Peaches and cream.
15. How does Clare get hold of Irene?
(a) Follows her.
(b) Knocks on her door..
(c) Calls repeatedly.
(d) Runs into her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Irene plan to get back from the printers?
2. What relationship did the woman have to Irene?
3. How does Brian react to Irene's request to take Junior away?
4. What does Brian think is appropriate for Junior to learn?
5. Irene thinks that what group of people cannot tell what race she is?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)