|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept Irene from standing up to John?
(a) Her friendship with Clare.
(b) Her fear of him.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Her embarrassment about her family.
2. Why does Brian become angry?
(a) Irene doesn't think he's doing the right thing for his children.
(b) Irene is too domineering.
(c) Irene doesn't understand him.
(d) Irene is too critical of him.
3. Whom do Irene and Gertrude talk about?
(a) Clare's father.
(b) Clare and John.
(c) John Bellew.
4. For what was Irene supposed to be dressed?
5. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
(a) A West Indian man and a Dutch mother.
(b) A Dutch man and a West Indian mother.
(c) An English man and a West Indies mother.
(d) A German man and an African mother.
6. What does Brian advise Irene to do relative to Clare?
(a) Ignore her.
(b) Not encourage her.
(c) Scold her.
(d) Encourage her.
7. How does Irene first react to Clare's note?
(a) She doesn't want to read it.
(b) She throws it away.
(c) She ignores it.
(d) She rips it up.
8. Who is in the most jeopardy?
9. Irene recalls a trip to what city?
(d) St. Louis.
10. What would upset John?
(a) Clare felt she had to lie.
(b) His family's reaction.
(c) Clare and his daughter are black.
(d) People know Clare is black.
11. Brian and Irene's marriage is vulnerable to ____________.
(b) Clare's attractriveness.
(c) Stress from raising the children.
(d) Outside influence.
12. What does Gertrude's husband know about her heritage?
(a) She is mixed.
(b) She is part Mexican.
(c) She is white.
(d) She is black.
13. What does Irene plan to tell Clare when she responds to her letter?
(a) She should leave her husband.
(b) They should always be friend.
(c) Her people don't want her back.
(d) They should cut off all contact.
14. For what organization is Irene going to do some business?
(a) The Harlem School District.
(b) City Hall.
(c) The Negro Welfare League .
(d) The Apollo.
15. What does Irene ask Brian to do after breakfast?
(a) Clean up the breakfast dishes.
(b) Drive her to the printers.
(c) Write a letter to Clare.
(d) Drive her to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talked Brian out of moving to Brazil?
2. How does Irene feel about Clare?
3. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
4. Who sits near Irene at the hotel?
5. How does Irene want to respond to John Bellew?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)