Short Essay Questions
1. What are Irene Redfield's recollections as she reads the letter from Clare Kendry?
2. When did Irene become reacquainted with her childhood friend, Clare Kendry? What were the circumstances?
3. What relative of Clare Kendry's was white?
4. When did Clare disappear from the Chicago neighborhood where she and Irene lived?
5. What made it easy for Clare to pass as white?
6. After Clare and Irene run into each other at the hotel, when do they plan to meet again? How does Irene really feel about seeing her again?
7. How was Clare secretive when she ran into Irene?
8. Why did Irene's father keep it from Irene that Clare was passing for white?
9. What does Clare dislike about being able to pass for white?
10. What is some background information about the author?
11. What are Irene's plans about meeting Clare? How does she wind up meeting her?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)