Part 1, Encounter: Chapters 1-2
1. Who are Nella Larsen's parents?
(a) An English man and a West Indies mother.
(b) A German man and an African mother.
(c) A West Indian man and a Dutch mother.
(d) A Dutch man and a West Indian mother.
2. Where does Nella spend the majority of her childhood?
(a) Her grandmother's house.
(b) In Europe.
(c) Her aunt's farm.
(d) Boarding school.
3. Where does Nella Larsen become a shining star?
(a) In Hollywood
(b) On Broadway.
(c) The Apollo.
(d) The Harlem Renaissance.
4. Who does Irene Redfield receive a letter from?
(a) Her father.
(b) A childhood friend.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister.
5. Clare Kendry disappears from the Chicago neighborhood after what event?
(a) Her father is arrested.
(b) Her father's death.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Her house burns down.
6. Irene recalls a trip to what city?
(b) St. Louis.
7. What makes Irene stop shopping when she's in Chicago?
(a) The traffic.
(b) The crowds.
(c) The heat.
(d) The rain.
This section contains 3,839 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)