Part 1, Encounter: Chapters 1-2
* Irene Redfield receives a letter from Clare Kendry, a childhood friend.
* Irene recalls when Clare's father died and Clare disappeared from their Chicago neighborhood.
* Irene recalls a trip to Chicago a few years earlier when she ran into Clare, who passes for white and whom she did not recognize at first.
* Clare and Irene talk about old times, although Clare doesn't reveal much about her current life.
* Clare insists on getting together the next week. Irene is not enthusiastic about meeting, but she agrees to meet anyway.
Part 1, Encounter: Chapters 3-4
* Irene is not keen on seeing Clare again, but Clare calls her repeatedly and charms her into meeting.
* Clare brings along Gertrude, another childhood friend who, like Clare, is married to a white man. They are both afraid that their babies will be dark.
* John Bellew, Clare's husband, calls Clare "nig" because she's...
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)