|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is correct?
2. Where are Ronny Heaslop and Adela Quested being sent after the trial is over and the charges have been dropped?
3. Where are Aziz's children now that he has moved away from Chandrapore?
4. With whom does Dr. Aziz go on a walk?
5. What does Cyril Fielding send to his friends in Part 2, Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sitting arrangements in the courtroom.
2. How does Adela Quested justify her original accusation against Dr. Aziz?
3. Describe Dr. Aziz's attitude towards Cyril Fielding when they first meet in Mau.
4. What happens on the roof of Mr. Zulfiqar's mansion?
5. Describe Cyril Fielding's trip.
6. What does Dr. Aziz do when he gets to the guest house?
7. What do the postcards that Cyril Fielding writes to his Indian friends signify?
8. How does the lieutenant governor react to Cyril Fielding's handling of the trial?
9. Describe Dr. Aziz and Cyril Fielding's discussion of compensation for Adela Quested.
10. Why does Dr. Aziz drop the case against Adela Quested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The major's failure to understand Aziz's visiting friends instead of being at home is one example of where the divide between the two cultures is mentioned. Compare and contrast the differences between the Anglo and Indian cultures. How do these cultures clash throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In earlier versions of the book, Forster was much more explicit in the sexual aspects of the assault, and the strap of the field glasses was used to strangle Adela. In one version, she used the glasses as a weapon to free herself from her attacker. By the time Forster had revised the book for publication, the attack is much more ambiguous, tentative, and tenuous. What effect do you think Forster's edits have on the plot of the book? How would the plot of the book be different if he had not made these changes?
Essay Topic 3
The rumor of Adela and Fielding's relationship seems to snowball during the novel. At first it is a small rumor. Finally it affects the friendship of Aziz and Fielding. What role do rumors play in the novel? Specifically, how do rumors develop and how important are they? Who spreads rumors? Who avoids rumors?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)