|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Dr. Aziz go on a walk?
2. What does Dr. Aziz do regarding Adela Quested?
3. To whom does Aziz write in Chapter 37?
4. Where are Aziz's children now that he has moved away from Chandrapore?
5. To whom is the quote, "even when the lady is so much uglier than the gentleman" referring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Moore's attitude on the ship.
2. What do the postcards that Cyril Fielding writes to his Indian friends signify?
3. Why does Dr. Aziz go to the house where Cyril Fielding is staying?
4. Describe the religious ceremony in which Professor Godbole is participating.
5. Describe Cyril Fielding's trip.
6. What does Dr. Aziz discover about Cyril Fielding's marital status in Part 3, Chapter 35?
7. Describe the relationship between Cyril Fielding and Dr. Aziz at the end of the novel.
8. Describe the religious tensions in Mau.
9. How does Adela Quested justify her original accusation against Dr. Aziz?
10. What does Dr. Aziz do when he gets to the guest house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The identification of gender roles seems to play a key part in the development of the book. There is hesitancy to let white women have contact with Indians. What role do you think that the Anglo women play in the Indian society of the book? What responsibilities do the women have?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, some of the characters names seem to say something about their actual role in the novel. For example, Adela Quested is on a quest, or journey, in India and Fielding seems to spend much of his time fielding ideas from various other characters as one of the main moderators in the novel. What is the significance of a name in the novel? Who else has names that describe the role the character plays? Why do you think Forster chose to give these characters their names?
Essay Topic 3
The major's failure to understand Aziz's visiting friends instead of being at home is one example of where the divide between the two cultures is mentioned. Compare and contrast the differences between the Anglo and Indian cultures. How do these cultures clash throughout the novel?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)