|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ronny Heaslop and Adela Quested's relationship before Adela leaves for England?
2. In what event is Professor Godbole participating in Mau?
3. Who does Dr. Aziz think Cyril Fielding has married, leading him not to open letters from Fielding?
4. Who insists that violence against the British will not serve anyone's best interests?
5. Who comes to visit and praise Cyril Fielding for his handling of the episode?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Aziz drop the case against Adela Quested?
2. What does Dr. Aziz do when he gets to the guest house?
3. Why are Adela Quested's arrangements of where to stay after the trial ends an issue?
4. What does Professor Godbole conclude about Mrs. Moore?
5. Describe Dr. Aziz and Cyril Fielding's discussion of compensation for Adela Quested.
6. How do Adela Quested and Cyril Fielding part when Adela returns to England?
7. What happens on the roof of Mr. Zulfiqar's mansion?
8. Describe Dr. Aziz's attitude towards Cyril Fielding when they first meet in Mau.
9. Describe Dr. Aziz's response to Cyril Fielding's attempts to be polite when they run into each other on a walk in Mau.
10. What does the servant approach Adela Quested with when she is leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often in novels, authors use one or more characters to argue their own viewpoints. Research Forster's own viewpoints. What character or set of characters do you think that Forster is using to communicate his own viewpoints? Is there a specific character that can be defined as Forster?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Moore rises above the religious conflict and sets an example for how all of them might come together and live in peace. She is eventually venerated by the Hindus, and Aziz, a Muslim, never fails to admire her and hold her example up for himself and others. Do you think this worshiping of Mrs. Moore is fair? Why or why not? How does Mrs. Moore support or go against this ideal that has been developed?
Essay Topic 3
The major's failure to understand Aziz's visiting friends instead of being at home is one example of where the divide between the two cultures is mentioned. Compare and contrast the differences between the Anglo and Indian cultures. How do these cultures clash throughout the novel?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)