|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who abandons Adela Quested after the trial?
2. What does Cyril Fielding find out from Dr. Aziz regarding Mrs. Moore?
3. Dr. Aziz wants the British to ___________.
4. Who pulls the carriage in which Adela is riding away from the trial?
5. Which of the following events happens, bringing Cyril Fielding and Dr. Aziz back together as friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dr. Aziz and Cyril Fielding's discussion of compensation for Adela Quested.
2. What does Dr. Aziz discover about Cyril Fielding's marital status in Part 3, Chapter 35?
3. Describe the relationship between Cyril Fielding and Dr. Aziz at the end of the novel.
4. Describe the religious ceremony in which Professor Godbole is participating.
5. Why does Dr. Aziz drop the case against Adela Quested?
6. What does the servant approach Adela Quested with when she is leaving?
7. Describe the religious tensions in Mau.
8. What are Dr. Aziz's feelings about the British in India?
9. Describe Dr. Aziz's response to Cyril Fielding's attempts to be polite when they run into each other on a walk in Mau.
10. What does Professor Godbole conclude about Mrs. Moore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Moore rises above the religious conflict and sets an example for how all of them might come together and live in peace. She is eventually venerated by the Hindus, and Aziz, a Muslim, never fails to admire her and hold her example up for himself and others. Do you think this worshiping of Mrs. Moore is fair? Why or why not? How does Mrs. Moore support or go against this ideal that has been developed?
Essay Topic 2
Often in novels, authors use one or more characters to argue their own viewpoints. Research Forster's own viewpoints. What character or set of characters do you think that Forster is using to communicate his own viewpoints? Is there a specific character that can be defined as Forster?
Essay Topic 3
A Passage to India seems a fairly obvious title for this story that takes place in Chandrapore, India. How well do you think this title conveys the events in the novel? Do you think that another title would be more appropriate? Suggest an alternate title and describe how this title accurately depicts what takes place in the novel.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)