|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who is trying to blackmail Adela Quested tell her?
2. What is the theme of the religious ceremony taking place in Mau?
3. How do Cyril Fielding and Adela Quested part, as she heads back to England?
4. Who invites Mrs. Moore to sail in her own cabin?
5. Which of the following statements is correct?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Dr. Aziz's feelings about the British in India?
2. What happens on the roof of Mr. Zulfiqar's mansion?
3. What happens on the ship?
4. Why is Dr. Aziz released?
5. How does the lieutenant governor react to Cyril Fielding's handling of the trial?
6. Why does Dr. Aziz drop the case against Adela Quested?
7. Describe the sitting arrangements in the courtroom.
8. Describe Dr. Aziz's attitude towards Cyril Fielding when they first meet in Mau.
9. How do Adela Quested and Cyril Fielding part when Adela returns to England?
10. Describe the religious tensions in Mau.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Aziz regularly lies or misrepresents the facts. When he invites Fielding's guests to his house, he knows he cannot entertain them there. Later he tells Adela that she can come and visit his wife, but his wife is dead. Why do you think Forester chooses to represent this Indian character in this way? Does this characteristic take away from Aziz's likability as the main character of the book? Does it affect how you see the trial in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Aziz shows Fielding a photograph of his wife, going against the Muslim tradition of "purdah" in which a woman cannot show her face to men outside of her family. Why does Aziz choose to show Fielding this picture? How is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, is it significant that it is an Anglo female saying that she was attacked by an Indian male? How would the book be different if it was an Indian woman accusing a white man? What role does race play in the trial and the events preceding it?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)