|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Mrs. Moore to sail in her own cabin?
2. What does Dr. Aziz do regarding Adela Quested?
3. Where are Ronny Heaslop and Adela Quested being sent after the trial is over and the charges have been dropped?
4. To what does Mrs. Moore attribute her spiritual crisis?
5. What does Adela Quested do to the person trying to blackmail her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reaction to Mrs. Moore aboard the ship.
2. Describe Dr. Aziz's conviction about Adela Quested regarding her wedding plans.
3. How does Adela Quested justify her original accusation against Dr. Aziz?
4. Describe a similarity between Nawab Bahudar and Cyril Fielding.
5. How is Adela Quested received after the trial ends?
6. What does Professor Godbole conclude about Mrs. Moore?
7. Why does Dr. Aziz go to the house where Cyril Fielding is staying?
8. How do Adela Quested and Cyril Fielding part when Adela returns to England?
9. How does the lieutenant governor react to Cyril Fielding's handling of the trial?
10. Describe Cyril Fielding's trip.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The major's failure to understand Aziz's visiting friends instead of being at home is one example of where the divide between the two cultures is mentioned. Compare and contrast the differences between the Anglo and Indian cultures. How do these cultures clash throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Aziz shows Fielding a photograph of his wife, going against the Muslim tradition of "purdah" in which a woman cannot show her face to men outside of her family. Why does Aziz choose to show Fielding this picture? How is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
The identification of gender roles seems to play a key part in the development of the book. There is hesitancy to let white women have contact with Indians. What role do you think that the Anglo women play in the Indian society of the book? What responsibilities do the women have?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)