|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to blackmail Adela Quested?
2. Why can't Adela Quested leave Chandrapore?
3. Into whom does Dr. Aziz run on his walk?
4. What do Cyril Fielding and Dr. Aziz discuss during their celebration of the results of the trial?
5. How do Cyril Fielding and Adela Quested part, as she heads back to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reaction to Mrs. Moore aboard the ship.
2. Describe Cyril Fielding's trip.
3. Why can't Adela Quested leave the college?
4. Describe Dr. Aziz and Cyril Fielding's discussion of compensation for Adela Quested.
5. Describe the religious ceremony in which Professor Godbole is participating.
6. What does Dr. Aziz do when he gets to the guest house?
7. Why does Dr. Aziz drop the case against Adela Quested?
8. Describe Dr. Aziz's conviction about Adela Quested regarding her wedding plans.
9. Describe the sitting arrangements in the courtroom.
10. Describe Dr. Aziz's attitude towards Cyril Fielding when they first meet in Mau.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The identification of gender roles seems to play a key part in the development of the book. There is hesitancy to let white women have contact with Indians. What role do you think that the Anglo women play in the Indian society of the book? What responsibilities do the women have?
Essay Topic 2
The major's failure to understand Aziz's visiting friends instead of being at home is one example of where the divide between the two cultures is mentioned. Compare and contrast the differences between the Anglo and Indian cultures. How do these cultures clash throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the heat is mentioned on multiple occasions. For example, during the trial, every action and emotion is influenced by the extreme heat, especially since the courtroom is filled with multiple people, and there is obviously no air conditioning. How does the heat affect the general feeling of the novel? Give examples of how the heat serves as a metaphor for other events in the novel.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)