|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Adela Quested write a letter?
2. In what event is Professor Godbole participating in Mau?
3. What is the rumor going around Chandrapore as Mrs. Moore sails back to England?
4. When Adela Quested asks Cyril Fielding what Dr. Aziz thinks of her, what does Fielding say?
5. Where is not one of the places that Cyril Fielding travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Adela Quested received after the trial ends?
2. Describe Dr. Aziz and Cyril Fielding's discussion of compensation for Adela Quested.
3. Describe the religious ceremony in which Professor Godbole is participating.
4. Describe the reaction to Mrs. Moore aboard the ship.
5. Why are Adela Quested's arrangements of where to stay after the trial ends an issue?
6. Why does Dr. Aziz go to the house where Cyril Fielding is staying?
7. What do the postcards that Cyril Fielding writes to his Indian friends signify?
8. How do Adela Quested and Cyril Fielding part when Adela returns to England?
9. What does the servant approach Adela Quested with when she is leaving?
10. Describe Cyril Fielding's trip.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The identification of gender roles seems to play a key part in the development of the book. There is hesitancy to let white women have contact with Indians. What role do you think that the Anglo women play in the Indian society of the book? What responsibilities do the women have?
Essay Topic 2
In the book, is it significant that it is an Anglo female saying that she was attacked by an Indian male? How would the book be different if it was an Indian woman accusing a white man? What role does race play in the trial and the events preceding it?
Essay Topic 3
Aziz shows Fielding a photograph of his wife, going against the Muslim tradition of "purdah" in which a woman cannot show her face to men outside of her family. Why does Aziz choose to show Fielding this picture? How is this significant?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)