|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters were in the boats when they capsized?
2. Who says "The prisoner is released without one stain on his character; the question of costs will be decided elsewhere"?
3. To whom is the quote, "even when the lady is so much uglier than the gentleman" referring?
4. What does Professor Godbole decide is his duty?
5. With what religion is Mrs. Moore affiliated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rumor of Adela and Fielding's relationship seems to snowball during the novel. At first it is a small rumor. Finally it affects the friendship of Aziz and Fielding. What role do rumors play in the novel? Specifically, how do rumors develop and how important are they? Who spreads rumors? Who avoids rumors?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the book Fielding claims, "I travel light." Does Fielding travel as light as he claims? What attachments does he have to the people and places around him that might affect his ability to "travel light"?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the heat is mentioned on multiple occasions. For example, during the trial, every action and emotion is influenced by the extreme heat, especially since the courtroom is filled with multiple people, and there is obviously no air conditioning. How does the heat affect the general feeling of the novel? Give examples of how the heat serves as a metaphor for other events in the novel.
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)