Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following events happens, bringing Cyril Fielding and Dr. Aziz back together as friends?
2. On his walk to the guest house, Dr. Aziz notices that everyone is out in the boats; what does he do?
3. Who picks up Adela immediately after the trial?
4. What does Aziz take to the guest house?
5. With what religion is Mrs. Moore affiliated?
Fielding is an educator in the book. What role does education play in the society of The Passage to India? Which characters welcome and which resist education?
Mrs. Moore rises above the religious conflict and sets an example for how all of them might come together and live in peace. She is eventually venerated by the Hindus, and Aziz, a Muslim, never fails to admire her and hold her example up for himself and others. Do you think this worshiping of Mrs. Moore is fair? Why or why not? How does Mrs. Moore support or go against this ideal that has been developed?
In earlier versions of the book, Forster was much more explicit in the sexual aspects of the assault, and the strap of the field glasses was used to strangle Adela. In one version, she used the glasses as a weapon to free herself from her attacker. By the time Forster had revised the book for publication, the attack is much more ambiguous, tentative, and tenuous. What effect do you think Forster's edits have on the plot of the book? How would the plot of the book be different if he had not made these changes?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)