|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adela Quested staying after the attack when she is visiting with Nancy Derek and Mrs. McBryde?
2. Adela Quested has come to India to see Ronny Heaslop, whom she is expected to marry. When she says she wants to see the "real India," what does Ronny do?
3. Who tells Cyril Fielding, "you deserted me"?
4. Mrs. Moore tells Ronny Heaslop about her encounter with Dr. Aziz in the mosque. Which of the following are true?
5. What does Adela Quested say started the echo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Moore's attitude towards Adela Quested and the case.
2. Why is it significant that Dr. Aziz shows Cyril Fielding a picture of his wife?
3. What happens when the party returns from the caves to Chandrapore?
4. What does Mrs. Moore think of the caves?
5. How do the plans to go to the cave get rekindled?
6. Describe the Marabar Caves.
7. Why does Mrs. Moore go back to England?
8. Describe the difference in Nawab Bahadur and Mahmoud Ali's response to the bridge party invitation.
9. What is the significance of the Mohurram holiday?
10. How does Cyril Fielding react to the discovery of the letter to the brothel owner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, is it significant that it is an Anglo female saying that she was attacked by an Indian male? How would the book be different if it was an Indian woman accusing a white man? What role does race play in the trial and the events preceding it?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, some of the characters names seem to say something about their actual role in the novel. For example, Adela Quested is on a quest, or journey, in India and Fielding seems to spend much of his time fielding ideas from various other characters as one of the main moderators in the novel. What is the significance of a name in the novel? Who else has names that describe the role the character plays? Why do you think Forster chose to give these characters their names?
Essay Topic 3
The Marabar caves are an essential component in the setting for this story. Whereas in Chandrapore we can see graphically the cultural levels with the British living on a tier above the other residents, the caves represent a complex spiritual force that will blast the action to its climax. Explain how the caves serve as a character in the play. What is the role of the caves? How are the caves personified? How do the caves affect different characters?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)