|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women start treating Adela Quested after she accuses Dr. Aziz of attacking her?
2. Why is Dr. Aziz arrested?
3. Who is the Inspector of Police?
4. Nawab Bahadur offers Adela Quested and Ronny Heaslop a spin in his new car. What happens?
5. Who says he blames himself for the incident with Adela Quested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Moore go back to England?
2. How do the plans to go to the cave get rekindled?
3. Describe the difference in Nawab Bahadur and Mahmoud Ali's response to the bridge party invitation.
4. Why is Cyril Fielding unsure about hiring Amritrao?
5. How does Adela Quested offend Dr. Aziz on the picnic, before they enter the caves?
6. How likely is it that Adela Quested will listen to Ronny Heaslop's demands that she not see Indians?
7. What is Aziz's reaction to Adela Quested's question before they enter the caves?
8. Describe Adela Quested's accusation against Aziz after the visit to the caves.
9. Why is it significant that Dr. Aziz shows Cyril Fielding a picture of his wife?
10. What role does the climate play within the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In earlier versions of the book, Forster was much more explicit in the sexual aspects of the assault, and the strap of the field glasses was used to strangle Adela. In one version, she used the glasses as a weapon to free herself from her attacker. By the time Forster had revised the book for publication, the attack is much more ambiguous, tentative, and tenuous. What effect do you think Forster's edits have on the plot of the book? How would the plot of the book be different if he had not made these changes?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, the heat is mentioned on multiple occasions. For example, during the trial, every action and emotion is influenced by the extreme heat, especially since the courtroom is filled with multiple people, and there is obviously no air conditioning. How does the heat affect the general feeling of the novel? Give examples of how the heat serves as a metaphor for other events in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Fielding and Aziz reignite their friendship, but they part knowing that they will not see each other again. How is this significant to the ending of the book? Why do you think Forster makes sure that the audience knows they do not meet again?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)