|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Callendar upset at Dr. Aziz at the Bridge Party?
2. From whom is the letter that Dr. Aziz has in his possession when arrested?
3. How does Adela react in response to offending Aziz?
4. Why is Dr. Aziz arrested?
5. What does Mrs. Moore hear in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the climate play within the novel?
2. Why does Cyril Fielding go into the city?
3. Describe the evidence against Dr. Aziz.
4. What does Mrs. Moore think of the caves?
5. Why is the bridge party organized?
6. How does Adela Quested offend Dr. Aziz on the picnic, before they enter the caves?
7. Who are Aziz's friends, and how can they be described?
8. Is Cyril Fielding's response to Adela Quested's accusations well accepted?
9. Why is it significant that Dr. Aziz shows Cyril Fielding a picture of his wife?
10. Why does Mrs. Moore go back to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the heat is mentioned on multiple occasions. For example, during the trial, every action and emotion is influenced by the extreme heat, especially since the courtroom is filled with multiple people, and there is obviously no air conditioning. How does the heat affect the general feeling of the novel? Give examples of how the heat serves as a metaphor for other events in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Lal, Aziz's colleague, is portrayed as a self-serving, despicable game-player. His character provides a contrast to Fielding, who has done what is right regardless of cost to himself. Compare and contrast these two characters and describe how other characters fit into a continuum if Lal is placed on one end and Fielding on the other.
Essay Topic 3
A Passage to India seems a fairly obvious title for this story that takes place in Chandrapore, India. How well do you think this title conveys the events in the novel? Do you think that another title would be more appropriate? Suggest an alternate title and describe how this title accurately depicts what takes place in the novel.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)