|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what are Nancy Derek and Mrs. McBryde helping Adela Quested?
2. Who says to Mrs. Moore, "You're superior to them, anyway. Don't forget that. You're superior to everyone in India except one or two of the Ranis, and they're on an equality"?
3. Who says, "I believe Dr. Aziz to be innocent"?
4. Who is the Inspector of Police?
5. Why does Cyril Fielding want to talk to Adela Quested after Dr. Aziz's arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cyril Fielding's role in the trial against Dr. Aziz?
2. How likely is it that Adela Quested will listen to Ronny Heaslop's demands that she not see Indians?
3. Why is Cyril Fielding unsure about hiring Amritrao?
4. What is the purpose of the women gathering before the trial with Adela Quested?
5. Describe Mrs. Moore's attitude towards Adela Quested and the case.
6. Is Cyril Fielding's response to Adela Quested's accusations well accepted?
7. Describe the difference in Nawab Bahadur and Mahmoud Ali's response to the bridge party invitation.
8. Describe the evidence against Dr. Aziz.
9. Why is it significant that Dr. Aziz shows Cyril Fielding a picture of his wife?
10. How does Adela Quested offend Dr. Aziz on the picnic, before they enter the caves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fielding is not well accepted in the Christian community, not because of his lack of faith, but because of his disapproval of their attitudes and behaviors, which clearly violate Christian teachings. What place does this irony have in the novel? Why do you think Fielding, as an atheist, is set up as the only one who embodies Christian values?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, some of the characters names seem to say something about their actual role in the novel. For example, Adela Quested is on a quest, or journey, in India and Fielding seems to spend much of his time fielding ideas from various other characters as one of the main moderators in the novel. What is the significance of a name in the novel? Who else has names that describe the role the character plays? Why do you think Forster chose to give these characters their names?
Essay Topic 3
The major's failure to understand Aziz's visiting friends instead of being at home is one example of where the divide between the two cultures is mentioned. Compare and contrast the differences between the Anglo and Indian cultures. How do these cultures clash throughout the novel?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)