|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Calcutta barrister, who has a good reputation but is notoriously anti-British?
2. In regard to the Bridge Party, Nawab Bahudar _____.
3. How do the women start treating Adela Quested after she accuses Dr. Aziz of attacking her?
4. When Dr. Aziz returns home, he finds the invitation from Cyril Fielding to tea. He is ____.
5. Who is invited to the caves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Cyril Fielding's opinions of the English occupation?
2. Is Cyril Fielding's response to Adela Quested's accusations well accepted?
3. What role does the climate play within the novel?
4. What does Mrs. Moore think of the caves?
5. Who are Aziz's friends, and how can they be described?
6. What does Mrs. Moore notice regarding Ronny Heaslop's response to Cousin Kate?
7. How does Cyril Fielding react to the discovery of the letter to the brothel owner?
8. How do the plans to go to the cave get rekindled?
9. How does Adela Quested offend Dr. Aziz on the picnic, before they enter the caves?
10. Describe Cyril Fielding's thoughts on atheism.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Fielding and Aziz reignite their friendship, but they part knowing that they will not see each other again. How is this significant to the ending of the book? Why do you think Forster makes sure that the audience knows they do not meet again?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. McBryde opens with "everyone knows the man's guilty," then goes on to give the details of the "assault." He ends by remarking that the darker races are physically attracted by the fairer, but not vice versa-a scientific fact, he claims. Describe how Mr. McBryde's remark characterizes the general attitude of the Anglo Indians. Explain the role that racial prejudice plays in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The rumor of Adela and Fielding's relationship seems to snowball during the novel. At first it is a small rumor. Finally it affects the friendship of Aziz and Fielding. What role do rumors play in the novel? Specifically, how do rumors develop and how important are they? Who spreads rumors? Who avoids rumors?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)