|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is part of purdah?
2. What controversial object does Dr. Aziz show Cyril Fielding when Fielding visits him at his hovel?
3. What does Mrs. Moore hear in the cave?
4. Why does Adela Quested say she wants to drop the case?
5. How do people react to Cyril Fielding asking about Adela Quested's health?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference in Nawab Bahadur and Mahmoud Ali's response to the bridge party invitation.
2. Describe the evidence against Dr. Aziz.
3. Is Cyril Fielding's response to Adela Quested's accusations well accepted?
4. What does the servant approach Adela Quested with when she is leaving?
5. What does Professor Godbole conclude about Mrs. Moore?
6. Describe Dr. Aziz's attitude towards Cyril Fielding when they first meet in Mau.
7. What is the purpose of the women gathering before the trial with Adela Quested?
8. What is the significance of the Mohurram holiday?
9. Describe Mrs. Moore's attitude towards Adela Quested and the case.
10. Who are Aziz's friends, and how can they be described?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Fielding and Aziz reignite their friendship, but they part knowing that they will not see each other again. How is this significant to the ending of the book? Why do you think Forster makes sure that the audience knows they do not meet again?
Essay Topic 2
In earlier versions of the book, Forster was much more explicit in the sexual aspects of the assault, and the strap of the field glasses was used to strangle Adela. In one version, she used the glasses as a weapon to free herself from her attacker. By the time Forster had revised the book for publication, the attack is much more ambiguous, tentative, and tenuous. What effect do you think Forster's edits have on the plot of the book? How would the plot of the book be different if he had not made these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Fielding is an educator in the book. What role does education play in the society of The Passage to India? Which characters welcome and which resist education?
This section contains 1,757 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)