|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I shall attend your marriage, but not your trial. Then I shall go to England."
2. Why is Dr. Aziz arrested?
3. When Dr. Aziz asks Cyril Fielding why he isn't married, what does Fielding say?
4. What does Adela Quested say started the echo?
5. Who escorts Mrs. Moore off the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Adela Quested when she can't be found?
2. Describe the difference in Nawab Bahadur and Mahmoud Ali's response to the bridge party invitation.
3. Describe Mrs. Moore's attitude towards Adela Quested and the case.
4. What does Mrs. Moore notice regarding Ronny Heaslop's response to Cousin Kate?
5. How do the plans to go to the cave get rekindled?
6. What is the purpose of the women gathering before the trial with Adela Quested?
7. Describe Cyril Fielding's thoughts on atheism.
8. Why does Mrs. Moore go back to England?
9. Describe the setting of the novel.
10. Is Cyril Fielding's response to Adela Quested's accusations well accepted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Marabar caves are an essential component in the setting for this story. Whereas in Chandrapore we can see graphically the cultural levels with the British living on a tier above the other residents, the caves represent a complex spiritual force that will blast the action to its climax. Explain how the caves serve as a character in the play. What is the role of the caves? How are the caves personified? How do the caves affect different characters?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Fielding and Aziz reignite their friendship, but they part knowing that they will not see each other again. How is this significant to the ending of the book? Why do you think Forster makes sure that the audience knows they do not meet again?
Essay Topic 3
A Passage to India seems a fairly obvious title for this story that takes place in Chandrapore, India. How well do you think this title conveys the events in the novel? Do you think that another title would be more appropriate? Suggest an alternate title and describe how this title accurately depicts what takes place in the novel.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)