|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What controversial object does Dr. Aziz show Cyril Fielding when Fielding visits him at his hovel?
2. How does Adela Quested offend Dr. Aziz before they enter the caves?
3. With what are Nancy Derek and Mrs. McBryde helping Adela Quested?
4. Adela Quested is thinking of the wedding as she is climbing near the caves. What are her thoughts on the wedding?
5. Who denies Cyril Fielding a visit with Adela Quested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cyril Fielding unsure about hiring Amritrao?
2. How does Cyril Fielding react to the discovery of the letter to the brothel owner?
3. What is the significance of the Mohurram holiday?
4. How likely is it that Adela Quested will listen to Ronny Heaslop's demands that she not see Indians?
5. How does Ronny Heaslop react to Adela Quested's situation?
6. What happens when the party returns from the caves to Chandrapore?
7. Who are Aziz's friends, and how can they be described?
8. Describe the Marabar Caves.
9. Where is Adela Quested when she can't be found?
10. What is Aziz's reaction to Adela Quested's question before they enter the caves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Passage to India seems a fairly obvious title for this story that takes place in Chandrapore, India. How well do you think this title conveys the events in the novel? Do you think that another title would be more appropriate? Suggest an alternate title and describe how this title accurately depicts what takes place in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Aziz regularly lies or misrepresents the facts. When he invites Fielding's guests to his house, he knows he cannot entertain them there. Later he tells Adela that she can come and visit his wife, but his wife is dead. Why do you think Forester chooses to represent this Indian character in this way? Does this characteristic take away from Aziz's likability as the main character of the book? Does it affect how you see the trial in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The identification of gender roles seems to play a key part in the development of the book. There is hesitancy to let white women have contact with Indians. What role do you think that the Anglo women play in the Indian society of the book? What responsibilities do the women have?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)