|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom is the letter that Dr. Aziz has in his possession when arrested?
2. When Ronny Heaslop and Adela Quested return from their trip in the car, they are _____.
3. How does Adela react in response to offending Aziz?
4. Who says to Mrs. Moore, "You're superior to them, anyway. Don't forget that. You're superior to everyone in India except one or two of the Ranis, and they're on an equality"?
5. Why does Dr. Aziz borrow Hamidullah's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Adela Quested when she can't be found?
2. How does Cyril Fielding react to the discovery of the letter to the brothel owner?
3. How does Adela Quested offend Dr. Aziz on the picnic, before they enter the caves?
4. Why does Cyril Fielding go into the city?
5. What does Mrs. Moore notice regarding Ronny Heaslop's response to Cousin Kate?
6. Describe the setting of the novel.
7. What is Cyril Fielding's role in the trial against Dr. Aziz?
8. What happens when the party returns from the caves to Chandrapore?
9. Why is Major Callendar upset at Dr. Aziz?
10. Describe the Marabar Caves.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Fielding and Aziz reignite their friendship, but they part knowing that they will not see each other again. How is this significant to the ending of the book? Why do you think Forster makes sure that the audience knows they do not meet again?
Essay Topic 2
Fielding is not well accepted in the Christian community, not because of his lack of faith, but because of his disapproval of their attitudes and behaviors, which clearly violate Christian teachings. What place does this irony have in the novel? Why do you think Fielding, as an atheist, is set up as the only one who embodies Christian values?
Essay Topic 3
A Passage to India seems a fairly obvious title for this story that takes place in Chandrapore, India. How well do you think this title conveys the events in the novel? Do you think that another title would be more appropriate? Suggest an alternate title and describe how this title accurately depicts what takes place in the novel.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)