Part 1: Chapter 1 | Part 1: Chapter 2
Part 1: Chapter 1
• A basic description of the setting of Chandrapore, India is given
• Chandrapore sits on the banks of the Ganges River and is run-down and poverty-stricken.
• The city is divided in terms of social class and while the outskirts include run-down and poverty-stricken houses, as one moves inland, it improves.
• On the first rise, there is a hospital and an oval parade-ground. A more prosperous housing area is near the railway station.
• On the second rise, it improves dramatically. Here is where the civil service employees of the occupying British government live.
Part 1: Chapter 2
• Mahmoud Ali, Hamidullah, and Dr. Azid are having dinner at the home of Hamidullah and discussing their views on the British occupation.
• A messenger brings a note asking Dr. Aziz to come to the bungalow of Major Callendar, the Civil Surgeon, and the head of the hospital.
• He goes...
This section contains 3,270 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)