|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hogan think "terra rossa" means?
2. Who is Pasha deceiving?
3. How does Pascali close his report?
4. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
5. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of themes that run as a thread throughout the novel. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Trace the development of the political theme. Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis of the existing political situation during this novel.
2. Trace the development of the theme of duality. Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis of the how the concept of duality manifest in character personalities and in the physical setting.
3. Trace the development of the theme of deception. Use specific examples to illustrate how this theme is expressed. Analyze the examples and offer an analysis as to why this theme is central to the novel's plot.
Essay Topic 2
In Section 10, Bowles suggests he is working for another party, a fact that Pascali nearly misses in his desire for money. Pascali's failure to note this detail with more attention shows his deep desire to escape the island, as he is willing to believe anything for an opportunity of a better life. Answer the following questions by writing a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text, your research or personal experience:
1. List some of the reasons Pascali thinks he has a terrible life on the island. Do you think his reasons are valid?
2. Do you think Pascali could have improved his life on the island? How? Why do you think he has not?
3. In Section 6, Pascali thinks eats grapes and halvah and realizes he loves them both, as he loves the island. This seems contradictory to his sometimes desperate desire to leave the island. Discuss how Pascali can both love and hate the island and his life there.
Essay Topic 3
In section 8, at the church, the wax figure of the Saint is brought forward covered by a curtain, where priests prepare him for the reenactment of the Ascension. When the curtain is drawn back, the statue is standing, clothed in robes as has been enacted for years. However, on this day, something has gone wrong and the statue suddenly falls forward, striking the concrete and beheads itself. Choose one of the following and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. In addition to much symbolism in this novel, there are also a number of metaphors. Define metaphor and symbolism and compare the two using specific examples both from the book and other sources. Which do you feel is more effective? Which seems better at expressing the idea of an abstract concept? Why would you use one over the other--give specific examples.
2. For what do you think this scene is a metaphor? Explain using specific examples. Does the metaphor work for you?
3. Write a real or hypothetical situation in your personal experience that includes one or more abstract concepts and then create a metaphor to express that experience. Next, choose a way to use symbolism in the telling of the experience. Which way seems more effective at portraying the experience?
This section contains 3,647 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)