|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room?
(b) Bowles' journal.
(c) A plate of olives.
(d) A gold ring from the excavation site.
2. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
(a) That Bowles must be eliminated.
(b) That Pascali will not live through this if it does not work out.
(c) That Pasha is not a patient man.
(d) That Bowles is a scoundrel.
3. Who does Dr. Hogan say is the man to whom Bowles was talking?
(a) An Englishman named Jones.
(b) An American named Jones.
(c) An American named Smith.
(d) The American fisherman named Smith.
4. When Pascali tells Bowles Pasha wants to kill Bowles, what is Bowles' response?
(a) That Bowles has a few tricks up his sleeve.
(b) That Bowles is leaving that night.
(c) That Bowles feels safe.
(d) That Scotland Yard is keeping an eye on things.
5. What did Pascali fear until recently?
(b) The Sultan.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pascali leads Izzet and the soldiers to the cove, who is dead?
2. What does Bowles demand?
3. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
4. What does Hogan's wife give Pascali?
5. What kind of image does Pascali think Bowles projects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room and why does this show a different side of Pascali?
2. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles and one probable hidden meaning.
3. Why do you think Pascali blends reality and illusion to create realism in imaginary settings?
4. How does Pascali miss an important clue about Bowles because of Pascali's own desires?
5. What do you think is one of the main purposes of this short chapter?
6. How does Pascali now see Bowles and how might that insight be both inaccurate and dangerous?
7. Why do you think Pascali becomes depressed by Dr. Hogan's talk of the Sultan?
8. How is the slaughter of the sheep symbolic of a "slaughter" that takes place within Pascali?
9. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
10. When you read that Bowles does not show up at the hotel for his meeting with Izzet, are you surprised?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)