|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dr. Hogan say is the man to whom Bowles was talking?
(a) An Englishman named Jones.
(b) The American fisherman named Smith.
(c) An American named Jones.
(d) An American named Smith.
2. For what purpose would he do the answer to question #97?
(a) To see Bowles humiliated.
(b) To see Lydia turn away from Bowles.
(c) To get off the island.
(d) To get a lot of money.
3. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
(a) That Germany has occupied Constantinople.
(b) That the Sultan is on his way to being deposed.
(c) That the Sultan is dead.
(d) That Lydia is actually a German government agent.
4. What is the most significant thing about terra rossa?
(a) It is a fairly valuable export.
(b) It contains large amounts of aluminum deposits.
(c) It is only found on this island.
(d) It can create an explosion when mixed with sulfur.
5. What does Pascali decide to do?
(a) Kill Pasha.
(b) Bribe Izzet.
(c) Bribe Lydia.
(d) Bribe Bowles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of image does Pascali think Bowles projects?
2. Where does the person go who Pascali is following?
3. What does Pascali think that Bowles sees within Pascali?
4. Why does Bowles want to leave the situation for a few days?
5. How does Pascali see Bowles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Pascali and Bowles agree again to be allies and whether you think either man is sincere.
2. Why do you think Pascali becomes depressed by Dr. Hogan's talk of the Sultan?
3. When you read that Bowles does not show up at the hotel for his meeting with Izzet, are you surprised?
4. In what position does Bowles place Pascali in not meeting with Izzet at the hotel and how is this ironic?
5. How is the slaughter of the sheep symbolic of a "slaughter" that takes place within Pascali?
6. Is there anything in this section that gives a different view of Bowles and perhaps makes him a more likable character?
7. What does Pascali seem to forget when he is rejoicing at the prospect of 150 liras?
8. What do you think is one of the main purposes of this short chapter?
9. What does it suggest to you when Bowles insists on the removal of the soldiers at the evacuation site?
10. What do you think is Pascali's interpretation of the man he follows and sees laughing with Bowles?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)