|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pascali depressed and anguished?
(a) At the thought of his own death.
(b) At the thought of losing his 150 liras.
(c) At the thought of confronting Lydia.
(d) At the thought of confronting Bowles.
2. Why does Bowles want to leave the situation for a few days?
(a) To extort more money.
(b) Because he has not finished his research.
(c) To find more artifacts.
(d) To find out who is behind Pasha's scheme.
3. What view of the world do Bowles and Pascali have in common?
(a) One of the idea of parallels and symbolism.
(b) That everyone has a price.
(c) To take care of number one first.
(d) That the world does not care who it deceives as long as they have money.
4. What does Pascali find when he returns home?
(a) The one hundred fifty liras promised him, with a note telling him to leave the island.
(b) A letter addressed to Lydia and Pascali giving them Bowles's blessings.
(c) Fifty liras with a not promising more soon.
(d) A note saying the money will be mailed to him.
5. How does Bowles envision the bronze statue he finds?
(a) He has no plans for the statue.
(b) Placed into a museum with a plaque bearing his name.
(c) Erected at the Sanctuary of Artimes.
(d) On a platform in the harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
2. What does Hogan's wife give Pascali?
3. With whom does Pascali ask to speak?
4. When Pascali leads Izzet and the soldiers to the cove, who is dead?
5. Who is Pasha deceiving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles just before Pascali leaves the evacuation site and explain if you think Pascali intends to follow through on the agreement with Bowles.
2. Is there anything in this section that gives a different view of Bowles and perhaps makes him a more likable character?
3. In the end, what do you think Pascali is left with of any value?
4. How does Pascali now see Bowles and how might that insight be both inaccurate and dangerous?
5. What evidence is there that Pascali may be in danger?
6. When you read that Bowles does not show up at the hotel for his meeting with Izzet, are you surprised?
7. How is the slaughter of the sheep symbolic of a "slaughter" that takes place within Pascali?
8. Explain what Pascali has figured out and how Bowles fits into the picture.
9. Explain how Pascali and Bowles agree again to be allies and whether you think either man is sincere.
10. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)