|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
(a) That Pascali will not live through this if it does not work out.
(b) That Bowles is a scoundrel.
(c) That Bowles must be eliminated.
(d) That Pasha is not a patient man.
2. Of what does Bowles accuse Pascali?
(a) Of being an informant.
(b) Of being insane.
(c) Of being without a conscience.
(d) Of being timid.
3. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
(a) Because he is greedy.
(b) Because he has to pay Pascali out of that.
(c) He says he has had to stop his research and that does not cover his expenses.
(d) Because he thinks they will not honor their offer.
4. Who does Pascali follow?
(a) Lydia and Bowles.
(b) A large white man with gaps in his teeth.
5. What does Pascali decide to do?
(a) Bribe Izzet.
(b) Kill Pasha.
(c) Bribe Bowles.
(d) Bribe Lydia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan in this section?
2. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room?
3. About what does Pascali warn Bowles?
4. When Pascali tells Bowles Pasha wants to kill Bowles, what is Bowles' response?
5. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is one of the main purposes of this short chapter?
2. How does the symbolism in this section express the duality of the natures of both Bowles and Pascali?
3. How is the previous foreshadowing come to completion in this final section?
4. How does Pascali now see Bowles and how might that insight be both inaccurate and dangerous?
5. Why do you think Pascali continues to let Bowles dictate the terms of their interaction?
6. What does Pascali seem to forget when he is rejoicing at the prospect of 150 liras?
7. Explain how Pascali and Bowles agree again to be allies and whether you think either man is sincere.
8. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
9. What is ironic as Pascali reflects on whether to send this latest report to the Sultan?
10. What do you think is a possible instance of foreshadowing in this section?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)