|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
(a) He says he has had to stop his research and that does not cover his expenses.
(b) Because he thinks they will not honor their offer.
(c) Because he is greedy.
(d) Because he has to pay Pascali out of that.
2. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(d) The Frenchman Chaudan.
3. What does Pascali think Lydia has been doing?
(a) Acting as the go between for Bowles and Smith.
(b) Reporting Bowles's activities to Pasha.
(c) Writing the Sultan of Bowles's activities.
(d) Two timing Bowles.
4. What does Bowles insist that he is doing?
(a) Paying Pascali.
(b) Writing a book.
(c) Being honest.
(d) Helping the field of archeology.
5. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
(a) To hide his activities.
(b) To make his getaway on Smith's boat.
(c) To plunder the artifacts more.
(d) To make a few more sketches.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Pascali admit?
2. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room?
3. Who cowers in his palace?
4. When Pascali leads Izzet and the soldiers to the cove, who is dead?
5. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
2. What does it suggest to you when Bowles insists on the removal of the soldiers at the evacuation site?
3. Explain how Pascali and Bowles agree again to be allies and whether you think either man is sincere.
4. How is the previous foreshadowing come to completion in this final section?
5. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room and why does this show a different side of Pascali?
6. Why do you think Pascali blends reality and illusion to create realism in imaginary settings?
7. Why do you think Pascali becomes depressed by Dr. Hogan's talk of the Sultan?
8. In the end, what do you think Pascali is left with of any value?
9. What evidence is there that Pascali may be in danger?
10. How is the slaughter of the sheep symbolic of a "slaughter" that takes place within Pascali?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)