|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
(a) Any artifacts being turned over to the State.
(b) Bowles leaving the island.
(c) Further negotiations.
(d) Any more money.
2. What does Pascali wonder about Pasha?
(a) What he hasn't acted against Bowles and Pascali yet.
(b) If he has always been so fat.
(c) Why he has scared Izzet.
(d) Why he is still alive after all his manipulations.
3. What does Bowles say about the stranger with whom he was speaking?
(a) That he comes from Istanbul.
(b) That he is a German.
(c) That he is an American.
4. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
(a) That the Sultan is dead.
(b) That Germany has occupied Constantinople.
(c) That the Sultan is on his way to being deposed.
(d) That Lydia is actually a German government agent.
5. About what does Pascali warn Bowles?
(a) That Pasha has set up an ambush at the site.
(b) That Izzet has secretly called in the Sultan's assassin.
(c) That they are both likely to lose their heads if things are not resolved very soon.
(d) That someone is stalking Bowles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes wrong with the meeting?
2. What does Pascali decide to do?
3. What happens as Pascali waits at the hotel?
4. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
5. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the previous foreshadowing come to completion in this final section?
2. How is the slaughter of the sheep symbolic of a "slaughter" that takes place within Pascali?
3. Why do you think Pascali continues to let Bowles dictate the terms of their interaction?
4. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles just before Pascali leaves the evacuation site and explain if you think Pascali intends to follow through on the agreement with Bowles.
5. What do you think is Pascali's interpretation of the man he follows and sees laughing with Bowles?
6. What evidence is there that Pascali may be in danger?
7. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
8. What is ironic as Pascali reflects on whether to send this latest report to the Sultan?
9. How does the symbolism in this section express the duality of the natures of both Bowles and Pascali?
10. In the end, what do you think Pascali is left with of any value?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)