|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pascali see Bowles?
(a) As a dead man.
(b) As a dreamer and both a victim of his own mind and an exploiter of those ideas.
(c) As a frustrated writer.
(d) As a brilliant archeologist.
2. What is Mannfeldt?
(a) A ship in the harbor of the island.
(b) An armament firm of Germany.
(c) A book by Kant.
(d) A city in Germany.
3. Who does Pascali follow?
(a) Lydia and Bowles.
(d) A large white man with gaps in his teeth.
4. What does Pascali decide to do?
(a) Bribe Lydia.
(b) Bribe Bowles.
(c) Bribe Izzet.
(d) Kill Pasha.
5. Who meets Pascali on his way home from Dr. Hogan's?
(d) Izzet and a large man.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Pascali agree?
2. Who is Pasha deceiving?
3. What does Pascali insist to Bowles about the church service?
4. What does Hogan's wife give Pascali?
5. What view of the world do Bowles and Pascali have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is a possible instance of foreshadowing in this section?
2. What does Pascali seem to forget when he is rejoicing at the prospect of 150 liras?
3. How is the slaughter of the sheep symbolic of a "slaughter" that takes place within Pascali?
4. Explain how Pascali and Bowles agree again to be allies and whether you think either man is sincere.
5. What is some information that Pascali has learned in this section and do you think any of the information will determine a course of action for Pascali?
6. How does Pascali miss an important clue about Bowles because of Pascali's own desires?
7. What does it suggest to you when Bowles insists on the removal of the soldiers at the evacuation site?
8. How does Pascali now see Bowles and how might that insight be both inaccurate and dangerous?
9. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles just before Pascali leaves the evacuation site and explain if you think Pascali intends to follow through on the agreement with Bowles.
10. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)