|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 200 liras.
(b) 400 liras.
(c) 500 liras.
(d) 300 liras.
2. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
(a) To make a few more sketches.
(b) To make his getaway on Smith's boat.
(c) To plunder the artifacts more.
(d) To hide his activities.
3. What does the note from Bowles say?
(a) That he has left for England.
(b) That they can find him at the Sanctuary.
(c) That he is unavoidably delayed for an hour.
(d) That he is unable to attend.
4. What does Pascali learn about the phrase "terra rossa"?
(a) That there is actually no such material.
(b) That it is only used in very primative cultures for making wood-fired dishes.
(c) That it is slightly radioactive.
(d) That it is bauxite, a non-plastic, clay-like material, generally red in color.
5. What does Bowles say about the stranger with whom he was speaking?
(a) That he is a German.
(b) That he is an American.
(d) That he comes from Istanbul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali figure out about how Bowles will remove the statue from the island?
2. How would this trait that Bowles sees in Pascali help Bowles?
3. What is the most significant thing about terra rossa?
4. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
5. What does Pascali see as he's walking home through the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. When you read that Bowles does not show up at the hotel for his meeting with Izzet, are you surprised?
2. Why do you think Pascali blends reality and illusion to create realism in imaginary settings?
3. What do you think is Pascali's interpretation of the man he follows and sees laughing with Bowles?
4. What does Pascali seem to forget when he is rejoicing at the prospect of 150 liras?
5. What is ironic as Pascali reflects on whether to send this latest report to the Sultan?
6. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles and one probable hidden meaning.
7. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
8. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles just before Pascali leaves the evacuation site and explain if you think Pascali intends to follow through on the agreement with Bowles.
9. Explain how Pascali and Bowles agree again to be allies and whether you think either man is sincere.
10. In the end, what do you think Pascali is left with of any value?
This section contains 1,522 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)