|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
(a) Bowles mentions how much he enjoys sex with Lydia.
(b) Bowles laughs at Pascali's concern about breaking the law.
(c) Bowles calls Pascali a wimp.
(d) Bowles begins to berate the people of the Ottoman Empire, calling them savage and without honor.
2. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 400 liras.
(b) 500 liras.
(c) 200 liras.
(d) 300 liras.
3. What does Bowles insist that he is doing?
(a) Writing a book.
(b) Helping the field of archeology.
(c) Being honest.
(d) Paying Pascali.
4. How does Pascali close his report?
(a) He mentions that the entire report, from Bowles arrival to his death, could be as false as his earlier tale of the fly on his arm.
(b) By signing his name.
(c) He says he quits.
(d) By saying May the Sultan Live Forever.
5. To what does Pascali admit?
(a) Being jealous of Bowles with Lydia.
(b) Searching Bowles' hotel room.
(c) Stealing the marble statue.
(d) Stealing the gold watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
2. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
3. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
4. Why is Pascali in danger?
5. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Pascali continues to let Bowles dictate the terms of their interaction?
2. Why do you think Pascali becomes depressed by Dr. Hogan's talk of the Sultan?
3. When you read that Bowles does not show up at the hotel for his meeting with Izzet, are you surprised?
4. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles and one probable hidden meaning.
5. What do you think is one of the main purposes of this short chapter?
6. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles just before Pascali leaves the evacuation site and explain if you think Pascali intends to follow through on the agreement with Bowles.
7. How is the previous foreshadowing come to completion in this final section?
8. What evidence is there that Pascali may be in danger?
9. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room and why does this show a different side of Pascali?
10. What does it suggest to you when Bowles insists on the removal of the soldiers at the evacuation site?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)