|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali insist to Bowles about the church service?
(a) That they were going to kill Pascali.
(b) That the Saint was hexed.
(c) Pascali is unwilling to answer Bowles's questions.
(d) That the priest is in on the conspiracy to kill Bowles.
2. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan in this section?
(a) Of the death of Bowles and his party to the Sultan in his report.
(b) That he is no longer going to be writing any reports.
(c) Of Pascali's desier to return to Istanbul.
(d) Of Pascali's desire to retire.
3. What does Pascali figure out about how Bowles will remove the statue from the island?
(a) He's still trying to figure it out.
(b) By ballon in the middle of the night.
(c) By way of Smith's boat.
(d) Through the mountains over to the other side of the island.
4. What is Mannfeldt?
(a) A ship in the harbor of the island.
(b) An armament firm of Germany.
(c) A city in Germany.
(d) A book by Kant.
5. What does Pascali think the men he is leading are going to do?
(a) Capture Smith and Bowles.
(b) Kill Bowles and capture Smith.
(c) Kill Bowles and his men.
(d) He is not sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali find when he returns home?
2. What does Pascali think that Bowles sees within Pascali?
3. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
4. What does Hogan think "terra rossa" means?
5. What does Pascali see as he's walking home through the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what position does Bowles place Pascali in not meeting with Izzet at the hotel and how is this ironic?
2. By this section, can we be certain as to whether Pascali is a reliable narrator?
3. How is the slaughter of the sheep symbolic of a "slaughter" that takes place within Pascali?
4. Why do you think Pascali continues to let Bowles dictate the terms of their interaction?
5. What does Pascali seem to forget when he is rejoicing at the prospect of 150 liras?
6. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles just before Pascali leaves the evacuation site and explain if you think Pascali intends to follow through on the agreement with Bowles.
7. What does it suggest to you when Bowles insists on the removal of the soldiers at the evacuation site?
8. How does Pascali miss an important clue about Bowles because of Pascali's own desires?
9. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
10. Why do you think Pascali becomes depressed by Dr. Hogan's talk of the Sultan?
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)