|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali know about Izzet and Pasha regarding payment?
(a) They do not know they are being blackmailed.
(b) They do not have that much money.
(c) They do not care if they lose such a small sum of money.
(d) They have no choice but to pay the 700 lira that Bowles demands.
2. Who does Pascali follow?
(c) Lydia and Bowles.
(d) A large white man with gaps in his teeth.
3. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(b) The Frenchman Chaudan.
4. What does Hogan think "terra rossa" means?
(a) He has no idea.
(b) Terracotta, a type of pottery.
(c) The red planet Mars.
(d) Red earth.
5. How does Pascali close his report?
(a) He says he quits.
(b) By saying May the Sultan Live Forever.
(c) By signing his name.
(d) He mentions that the entire report, from Bowles arrival to his death, could be as false as his earlier tale of the fly on his arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pascali tells Bowles Pasha wants to kill Bowles, what is Bowles' response?
2. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
3. What does Pascali find Bowles doing at the excavation site?
4. How would this trait that Bowles sees in Pascali help Bowles?
5. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Pascali becomes depressed by Dr. Hogan's talk of the Sultan?
2. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles and one probable hidden meaning.
3. Is there anything in this section that gives a different view of Bowles and perhaps makes him a more likable character?
4. What do you think is a possible instance of foreshadowing in this section?
5. Explain how Pascali and Bowles agree again to be allies and whether you think either man is sincere.
6. What is ironic as Pascali reflects on whether to send this latest report to the Sultan?
7. How is the slaughter of the sheep symbolic of a "slaughter" that takes place within Pascali?
8. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room and why does this show a different side of Pascali?
9. Why do you think Pascali blends reality and illusion to create realism in imaginary settings?
10. Summarize the interaction between Pascali and Bowles just before Pascali leaves the evacuation site and explain if you think Pascali intends to follow through on the agreement with Bowles.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)