|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Zeki Bey?
(a) The newspaper editor.
(b) The tax collector.
(c) The school headmaster.
(d) The city mayor.
2. What do the Greeks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Burn candles at the site to thank the gods.
(b) Bring and leave orchids to symbolize rebirth.
(c) Have a monthly festival.
(d) Burn incense twice a year as a cleansing ritual.
3. Why is Dranas rude to Pascali?
(a) Because Pascali was first rude to Dranas.
(b) Because Dranas is rude to everyone.
(c) There is no obvious reason.
(d) Because Dranas says "we know."
4. What does Pascali tell Bowles he would not be allowed to do even with a lease?
(a) Use any power equipment.
(b) Take away anything from the grounds.
(c) Dig on the grounds of the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(d) Bring in a crew of more than three workers.
5. Of what is the Ottoman empire comprised?
(a) An fairly homogenous group of peoples.
(b) Many disparate but loyal groups.
(c) Of multiple races, creed, and languages that have united under the Ottoman State.
(d) Mostly Arab nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
2. What is the overarching emotion that the newcomer exudes?
3. According to Lydia, what does the Sultan constantly fear?
4. Who is Herr Gesing?
5. What does Pascali believe about harmony.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Pascali has figured out and how Bowles fits into the picture.
2. How does the conversation at dinner reveal much about some of the characters?
3. Why do you think Pascali continues to let Bowles dictate the terms of their interaction?
4. How does Pascali now see Bowles and how might that insight be both inaccurate and dangerous?
5. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
6. By this section, can we be certain as to whether Pascali is a reliable narrator?
7. What does Pascali seem to forget when he is rejoicing at the prospect of 150 liras?
8. What do you think is a possible instance of foreshadowing in this section?
9. Discuss the theme of jealousy as it particularly applies to Pascali.
10. What are some signs of the high level of tension present on the island?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)