|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali think about the things Lydia does at the dinner table?
(a) That it is immaculately well mannered.
(b) That she is erratically inept.
(c) It's all to impress Bowles.
(d) It's full of faux paus.
2. What do the Turks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Have a yearly festival.
(b) Have the ill come and immerse in the water.
(c) Burn an effigy of a phoenix to symbolize rebirth.
(d) Bring spring water from the site to the ill.
3. What does the crumbling island seem like a metaphor for to Pascali?
(a) The crumbling Ottoman empire.
(b) A paradise in hell.
(c) The old Roman empire.
(d) The crumbling British empire.
4. What does Pascali realize Smith's business must be?
(a) A slaver.
(b) A very expensive type of crab.
(c) Guns for the rebels.
(d) Running drugs.
5. What does Lydia notice that delights Pascali?
(a) That his new suit is becoming.
(b) That his haircut is handsome.
(c) That he is losing weight.
(d) That he is looking fit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Russia, Britain, and France take action against the Ottoman empire?
2. What does Bowles believe Germany should do?
3. How does Bowles think the British operate trade?
4. What meetings does Pascali stop attending months ago?
5. How does Pascali portray Bowles?
Short Essay Questions
1. In continuing his report to the Sultan, what parallels does Pascali note?
2. What does Lydia report about the Sultan and how does this report impact Pascali?
3. Discuss the theme of jealousy as it particularly applies to Pascali.
4. What is ironic about Pasha buying land from the locals?
5. What are some clues that Pascali thinks he has inadvertently given as to his status as a spy?
6. What is the meaning of the phrase utriusque capex and how can this ability be useful to a spy?
7. How is the theme of deceit demonstrated by Bowles during the transaction with Pasha?
8. Of what does Pascali warn the Sultan, which taken in historical retrospect is "bad advice"?
9. How is Pascali's visit to Lydia a metaphor for the Ottoman Empire?
10. If you were receiving Pascali's spy reports, how would you treat them?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)