|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the lands where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located?
(c) Mahmoud Pasha.
(d) The Turkish government.
2. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
(a) Disliking both groups.
(b) Trying to maintain peace between the two.
(c) Trying to set one against the other.
(d) Consorting with both equally.
3. What is the motivating factor in Izzet agreeing to meet with Bowles?
4. Instead of death, with what is Pascali concerned in this section?
(a) With being recalled to Constantinople.
(b) With getting Lydia to marry him.
(c) With finding out the truth about Bowles.
(d) With making enough money to move to Tahiti.
5. What does Pascali think when he sees what is happening on the shoreline?
(a) That Smith is probably unloading guns.
(b) That all around him, the world is preparing for violence.
(c) That Bowles and Lydia are definitely together.
(d) That the gulls are merely imitating humankind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali's salary not allow him?
2. When hearing about the Sultan's fears, how does Pascali feel?
3. Of what is the Ottoman empire comprised?
4. How has Pascali betrayed himself as a spy unintentionally?
5. How does Pascali portray Bowles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of deceit demonstrated by Bowles during the transaction with Pasha?
2. What is the meaning of the phrase utriusque capex and how can this ability be useful to a spy?
3. How does Pascali seem to view the idea of violence in this section?
4. Name a metaphor or symbol that occurs in this section and what it represents.
5. What does Lydia report about the Sultan and how does this report impact Pascali?
6. What is one theme that seems to be developing in this section?
7. If you were receiving Pascali's spy reports, how would you treat them?
8. What seems to suggest that Bowles knows more about the local situation than he pretends?
9. Of what does the fact that Bowles is walking and talking with Pascali in public remind Pascali?
10. How is Pascali's visit to Lydia a metaphor for the Ottoman Empire?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)