|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Izzet warn Pascali?
(a) That Bowles will be arrested if he violates any of the contract.
(b) That the contract will not be in force until they receive the rest of the money.
(c) That Pascali must supervise Bowles's access.
(d) That Pascali will be held personally responsible for the remaining money owed to Pasha.
2. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
(a) The bartender.
(d) The lone polizi on the island.
3. What does Pascali think about the things Lydia does at the dinner table?
(a) That it is immaculately well mannered.
(b) It's all to impress Bowles.
(c) It's full of faux paus.
(d) That she is erratically inept.
4. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That the volcano is definitely about to spew.
(b) That the villagers know of his spy activities.
(c) That he is about to become very wealthy.
(d) That the newcomer is his half brother he's never met.
5. Who owns the lands where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located?
(a) The Turkish government.
(d) Mahmoud Pasha.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the expensive objects in Pasha's home dismay Pascali?
2. What parallel does Pascali see with his report?
3. What does Pascali say he does to his stories?
4. How does Pascali think the unity of the Ottoman Empire can be maintained?
5. Of what is Pascali's observation about Hassan a symbol?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a theme that predominates this section?
2. What is one theme that seems to be developing in this section?
3. Name a metaphor or symbol that occurs in this section and what it represents.
4. How do Bowles and Pascali view Lydia's painting differently and what surprises Pascali about the way Lydia and Bowles discuss art?
5. What are some images that seem to suggest the violence that is simmering just below the surface on this island?
6. Why is Pascali very careful about how he describes Bowles to Izzet?
7. What does Lydia report about the Sultan and how does this report impact Pascali?
8. Discuss the theme of jealousy as it particularly applies to Pascali.
9. In continuing his report to the Sultan, what parallels does Pascali note?
10. How is Pascali's visit to Lydia a metaphor for the Ottoman Empire?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)