|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
(b) The bartender.
(c) The lone polizi on the island.
2. Why does Pascali want to travel to Stambul?
(a) To throw himself on the mercy of the Sultan.
(b) To seek out Mehmet Bey.
(c) To get off the island and onto firm land.
(d) Because he's never seen the place before.
3. What does Pascali think about the things Lydia does at the dinner table?
(a) That she is erratically inept.
(b) It's full of faux paus.
(c) That it is immaculately well mannered.
(d) It's all to impress Bowles.
4. How does Bowles think the British operate trade?
(c) Based upon their ideals.
5. What is the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A small shrine dedicated to the god Artemis.
(c) A cave set in the hills behind the city.
(d) Where the Virgin Mary was supposed to have rested following the death of Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meetings does Pascali stop attending months ago?
2. What does Pascali think about him and this recent arrival?
3. Who does Pascali follow?
4. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
5. Why do the expensive objects in Pasha's home dismay Pascali?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the theme of jealousy as it particularly applies to Pascali.
2. How does the conversation between Lydia and Pascali about the fisherman show that Lydia is lying?
3. How does the conversation at dinner reveal much about some of the characters?
4. Name a metaphor or symbol that occurs in this section and what it represents.
5. What are some of the signs of violence/tension that seem just below the surface in Pascali?
6. How is the symbolism of the sky and sea used again in this chapter?
7. Give a brief analysis of the character of Pascali.
8. Why is Pascali very careful about how he describes Bowles to Izzet?
9. What are some signs of the high level of tension present on the island?
10. What is a theme that predominates this section?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)