|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dranas rude to Pascali?
(a) There is no obvious reason.
(b) Because Dranas says "we know."
(c) Because Dranas is rude to everyone.
(d) Because Pascali was first rude to Dranas.
2. What does Bowles claim to Pasha that he has found?
(a) Numerous human bones.
(b) Objects of great historical and monetary value at the site.
(c) A letter indicating that someone else owns the land Bowles is leasing.
(d) An artifact that is from WWI that proves the Germans did occupy this island.
3. What does Lydia think free expression does?
(a) It makes one think the impossible is possible.
(b) It spills over into dangerous areas such as politics.
(c) It encourages the irrational.
(d) It encourages imprecision.
4. What does Pascali believe about humankind?
(a) That humankind prefers destruction to balance.
(b) That humankind is always wavering on the edge of oblivion.
(c) That humankind prefers to be kind rather than cruel.
(d) That humankind is neither kind nor human.
5. When hearing about the Sultan's fears, how does Pascali feel?
(a) Disbelieving of Lydia's statement.
(b) Disgusted that the Sultan worries so much about disease.
(c) Hopeless for his own safety.
(d) Surprised that the home guard is not loyal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Pascali betrayed himself as a spy unintentionally?
2. To what does Pascali compare the sea?
3. Of what does Pascali remind the Sultan?
4. What does Pascali think when he sees what is happening on the shoreline?
5. How does Bowles think the British operate trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pascali very careful about how he describes Bowles to Izzet?
2. What are some images that seem to suggest the violence that is simmering just below the surface on this island?
3. What are some signs of the high level of tension present on the island?
4. What is one theme that seems to be developing in this section?
5. How is the theme of deceit demonstrated by Bowles during the transaction with Pasha?
6. How might Pascali actually be creating a wall between him and the townspeople and then misinterpreting the townspeople's actions?
7. What does Lydia report about the Sultan and how does this report impact Pascali?
8. What are some clues that Pascali thinks he has inadvertently given as to his status as a spy?
9. How does Pascali seem to view the idea of violence in this section?
10. How is the symbolism of the sky and sea used again in this chapter?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)