|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
(a) Trying to maintain peace between the two.
(b) Consorting with both equally.
(c) Trying to set one against the other.
(d) Disliking both groups.
2. What do the Turks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Have the ill come and immerse in the water.
(b) Have a yearly festival.
(c) Burn an effigy of a phoenix to symbolize rebirth.
(d) Bring spring water from the site to the ill.
3. Whose name is spoken softly to Pasha?
4. What is the motivating factor in Izzet agreeing to meet with Bowles?
5. What does Pascali think he has found?
(a) A way to earn a huge sum of money.
(b) A way to get Bowles off the island immediately.
(c) A way to break free of the island.
(d) A way to gain Lydia's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bowles need translation services?
2. For how much does Bowles obtain the lease?
3. What does the sound of bleating sheep mean to Pascali as he is walking?
4. How has Mahmoud Pasha been inadvertently contributing to the rebel cause?
5. According to Lydia, what does the Sultan constantly fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some images that seem to suggest the violence that is simmering just below the surface on this island?
2. What are some of the signs of violence/tension that seem just below the surface in Pascali?
3. Of what does Pascali warn the Sultan, which taken in historical retrospect is "bad advice"?
4. Why is Pascali very careful about how he describes Bowles to Izzet?
5. Discuss the theme of jealousy as it particularly applies to Pascali.
6. How is the theme of deceit demonstrated by Bowles during the transaction with Pasha?
7. What historical event is introduced in this section and how is it linked symbolically to the major plot?
8. What does Lydia report about the Sultan and how does this report impact Pascali?
9. How does Pascali represent the theme of violence symbolically?
10. How is the symbolism of the sky and sea used again in this chapter?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)