|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali see about the papers on the desk?
(a) He finds a reference from a Germany company, Mannfeldt, and a map marked in red that includes the area Bowles is researching with the words "terra rossa."
(b) A bank draft from the Ottoman National Bank.
(c) Two letters addressed to Bowles.
(d) There is a letter from the Sultan.
2. Where do Pascali and Marchant go?
(a) To the mainland.
(b) To the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(c) To the church to witness the festival.
(d) To Pascali's apartment.
3. What does Bowles believe Germany should do?
(a) Declare their stance on minorities before developing trade.
(b) Shoot the Kaiser.
(c) Stop being the aggressors in the Balkans.
(d) Keep their treaty with the Sultan.
4. Who does Pascali follow?
(a) Lydia and Bowles.
(b) Smith and Lydia.
(c) Lydia and Izzet.
(d) No one.
5. Who is uneasy in Lydia's world?
(a) Pascali and Smith.
(b) Bowles and Izzet.
(c) Pascali and Izzet.
(d) Pascali and Bowles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Izzet warn Pascali?
2. What does Lydia notice that delights Pascali?
3. Of what does Pascali become painfully aware?
4. Who has recently arrived by boat to the island?
5. Who is Herr Gesing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of deceit demonstrated by Bowles during the transaction with Pasha?
2. What is the meaning of the phrase utriusque capex and how can this ability be useful to a spy?
3. How does Pascali now see Bowles and how might that insight be both inaccurate and dangerous?
4. What historical event is introduced in this section and how is it linked symbolically to the major plot?
5. What do you think is Pascali's interpretation of the man he follows and sees laughing with Bowles?
6. Of what does Pascali warn the Sultan, which taken in historical retrospect is "bad advice"?
7. What is odd about Pascali's reaction to Bowles's not showing up for the meeting?
8. In the end, what do you think Pascali is left with of any value?
9. What is ironic about Pasha buying land from the locals?
10. Discuss the theme of jealousy as it particularly applies to Pascali.
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)