|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
(d) The Sultan.
2. What does Pascali see about the papers on the desk?
(a) He finds a reference from a Germany company, Mannfeldt, and a map marked in red that includes the area Bowles is researching with the words "terra rossa."
(b) Two letters addressed to Bowles.
(c) There is a letter from the Sultan.
(d) A bank draft from the Ottoman National Bank.
3. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
(c) The bartender.
(d) The lone polizi on the island.
4. Whose name is spoken softly to Pasha?
5. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the lands where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located?
2. How long has Pascali been a paid informer?
3. Why does Pascali want to travel to Stambul?
4. Why does Pascali need new glasses?
5. What does Pascali believe about harmony.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the signs of violence/tension that seem just below the surface in Pascali?
2. What are some images that seem to suggest the violence that is simmering just below the surface on this island?
3. Of what do you think the discussion of morality and self-preservation might be symbolic?
4. What are some signs of the high level of tension present on the island?
5. What seems to suggest that Bowles knows more about the local situation than he pretends?
6. How does the conversation between Lydia and Pascali about the fisherman show that Lydia is lying?
7. How does Pascali represent the theme of violence symbolically?
8. How is the concept of lighting discussed and interpreted by Pascali
9. What is a theme that predominates this section?
10. How is Pascali's visit to Lydia a metaphor for the Ottoman Empire?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)