|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
(a) Bowles leaving the island.
(b) Any artifacts being turned over to the State.
(c) Further negotiations.
(d) Any more money.
2. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
(a) Bowles calls Pascali a wimp.
(b) Bowles laughs at Pascali's concern about breaking the law.
(c) Bowles begins to berate the people of the Ottoman Empire, calling them savage and without honor.
(d) Bowles mentions how much he enjoys sex with Lydia.
3. What does the note from Bowles say?
(a) That he is unable to attend.
(b) That he has left for England.
(c) That they can find him at the Sanctuary.
(d) That he is unavoidably delayed for an hour.
4. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan again?
(a) Pascali's blending of reality and illusion to create realism in imaginary settings.
(b) The suspicians he has of Bowles.
(c) The need for more money.
(d) The fear he has that he has been discovered.
5. Of what does Bowles accuse Pascali?
(a) Of being insane.
(b) Of being without a conscience.
(c) Of being timid.
(d) Of being an informant.
6. Why is Pascali in danger?
(a) Because of Bowles' actions.
(b) For informing on Fisherman Smith.
(c) Because of his love for Lydia.
(d) For accepting bribe money.
7. About what does Pascali warn Bowles?
(a) That they are both likely to lose their heads if things are not resolved very soon.
(b) That someone is stalking Bowles.
(c) That Pasha has set up an ambush at the site.
(d) That Izzet has secretly called in the Sultan's assassin.
8. What does Bowles say to the second offer?
(a) He declines but says he may change his mind but needs a day to think on it.
(b) He declines.
(c) He accepts.
(d) He accepts but says they have to pay him 10 percent of any profit.
9. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 300 liras.
(b) 200 liras.
(c) 500 liras.
(d) 400 liras.
10. What does Bowles ask of Pascali?
(a) To be quiet about Bowles's deceptions.
(b) To gain Pasha's confidence again.
(c) To be his ally.
(d) To help Bowles get the statue out of the country.
11. To what does Pascali admit?
(a) Stealing the gold watch.
(b) Stealing the marble statue.
(c) Searching Bowles' hotel room.
(d) Being jealous of Bowles with Lydia.
12. What did Pascali fear until recently?
(c) The Sultan.
13. What does Pascali figure out about how Bowles will remove the statue from the island?
(a) Through the mountains over to the other side of the island.
(b) By way of Smith's boat.
(c) He's still trying to figure it out.
(d) By ballon in the middle of the night.
14. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
(a) To hide his activities.
(b) To plunder the artifacts more.
(c) To make a few more sketches.
(d) To make his getaway on Smith's boat.
15. What does Pascali see as he's walking home through the market?
(a) Bowles talking with three strangers.
(b) Lydia talking with three strangers.
(c) Three strangers buying fruit.
(d) Lydia and Bowles talking with a stranger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pascali think Bowles despises Pascali?
2. What kind of image does Pascali think Bowles projects?
3. How does Pascali respond to Bowles' accusation.
4. What does Izzet say he knows about Bowles?
5. Who is Pasha deceiving?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)