|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(d) The Frenchman Chaudan.
2. What does Bowles say to the second offer?
(a) He accepts but says they have to pay him 10 percent of any profit.
(b) He declines but says he may change his mind but needs a day to think on it.
(c) He declines.
(d) He accepts.
3. Why does Pascali think Bowles despises Pascali?
(a) Because Bowles despises everyone on the island except Lydia.
(b) Because Pascali knows Bowles is up to something.
(c) Because Pascali wants to be paid for his translation work.
(d) Because within Pascali Bowles sees himself,
4. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan again?
(a) The need for more money.
(b) Pascali's blending of reality and illusion to create realism in imaginary settings.
(c) The suspicians he has of Bowles.
(d) The fear he has that he has been discovered.
5. What does Izzet say he knows about Bowles?
(a) That Bowles and Smith are associated.
(b) That Bowles used to work for Scotland Yard.
(c) That Bowles does have an advance degree in archeology.
(d) That Bowles has a wife arriving on the next boat.
6. Who cowers in his palace?
(a) The King of England.
(b) Abdul-Hamid, the Sultan, cowers in his palace, trusting only his harem and guards.
(c) The Kaiser of Germany.
(d) The King of France.
7. How much does Izzet then offer?
(a) 700 liras, which is what Bowles initially asks for.
(b) 800 liras.
(d) 600 lira, 50 of which will pay Bowles for his time already spent.
8. How does Bowles envision the bronze statue he finds?
(a) He has no plans for the statue.
(b) Erected at the Sanctuary of Artimes.
(c) Placed into a museum with a plaque bearing his name.
(d) On a platform in the harbor.
9. What does Pascali insist to Bowles about the church service?
(a) That the priest is in on the conspiracy to kill Bowles.
(b) That they were going to kill Pascali.
(c) Pascali is unwilling to answer Bowles's questions.
(d) That the Saint was hexed.
10. Who waits impatiently for all persons to arrive for the meeting?
(b) Bowles and Pascali.
(c) Pascali and Izzet.
(d) Bowles and Izzet.
11. What does Bowles say about the stranger with whom he was speaking?
(a) That he comes from Istanbul.
(c) That he is a German.
(d) That he is an American.
12. What does Pascali find when he returns home?
(a) A note saying the money will be mailed to him.
(b) Fifty liras with a not promising more soon.
(c) A letter addressed to Lydia and Pascali giving them Bowles's blessings.
(d) The one hundred fifty liras promised him, with a note telling him to leave the island.
13. Why does Pascali visit Dr. Hogan?
(a) Because his eyesight is getting worse.
(b) To relate to someone who is honest.
(c) To get a shot and information.
(d) Pascali needs a kind conversation and information.
14. What does Bowles demand?
(a) More money.
(b) For Pasha to meet with him instead of Izzet.
(c) The removal of the soldiers from the evacuation site.
(d) For Pascali to be arrested for extortion.
15. When Pascali tells Bowles Pasha wants to kill Bowles, what is Bowles' response?
(a) That Bowles feels safe.
(b) That Bowles has a few tricks up his sleeve.
(c) That Bowles is leaving that night.
(d) That Scotland Yard is keeping an eye on things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what is Bowles' pretended offer of friendship to Pascali solely based?
2. Who is Bowles supposed to meet with at the opening of this section?
3. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
4. What does Pascali say of Bowles's speech patterns?
5. What happens as Pascali waits at the hotel?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)