|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali know about Izzet and Pasha regarding payment?
(a) They do not care if they lose such a small sum of money.
(b) They do not know they are being blackmailed.
(c) They do not have that much money.
(d) They have no choice but to pay the 700 lira that Bowles demands.
2. What kind of image does Pascali think Bowles projects?
(a) One of decency, morality, and ethics.
(b) A dedicated amatuer scientist.
(c) A bit of a fop.
(d) A sophisticated, yet jaded, businessman.
3. Who is the first person killed?
(d) A worker.
4. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
(a) That Bowles actually is a geologist.
(b) That Bowles is cousin to the Sultan.
(c) Bowles has completed this same scheme that he is running on Pasha in numerous areas around Asia Minor for many months.
(d) That Bowles works for German SSI.
5. To what does Pascali admit?
(a) Stealing the marble statue.
(b) Searching Bowles' hotel room.
(c) Stealing the gold watch.
(d) Being jealous of Bowles with Lydia.
6. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 300 liras.
(b) 200 liras.
(c) 500 liras.
(d) 400 liras.
7. What goes wrong with the meeting?
(a) Bowles brings English soldiers.
(b) Izzet does not show.
(c) Pascali is not there to translate.
(d) Bowles does not show.
8. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room?
(a) Bowles' journal.
(b) A plate of olives.
(d) A gold ring from the excavation site.
9. What does Bowles say to the second offer?
(a) He declines but says he may change his mind but needs a day to think on it.
(b) He accepts but says they have to pay him 10 percent of any profit.
(c) He accepts.
(d) He declines.
10. Who cowers in his palace?
(a) The King of England.
(b) Abdul-Hamid, the Sultan, cowers in his palace, trusting only his harem and guards.
(c) The King of France.
(d) The Kaiser of Germany.
11. What does the note from Bowles say?
(a) That he has left for England.
(b) That they can find him at the Sanctuary.
(c) That he is unavoidably delayed for an hour.
(d) That he is unable to attend.
12. Why is Pascali depressed and anguished?
(a) At the thought of losing his 150 liras.
(b) At the thought of his own death.
(c) At the thought of confronting Lydia.
(d) At the thought of confronting Bowles.
13. What does Pascali figure out about how Bowles will remove the statue from the island?
(a) By way of Smith's boat.
(b) Through the mountains over to the other side of the island.
(c) By ballon in the middle of the night.
(d) He's still trying to figure it out.
14. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
(a) To make his way to Constantinople to find his previous reports.
(b) To save his life.
(c) To get away from the unrequited love of Lydia.
(d) To go to a cooler climate.
15. How much does Pascali ask for keeping Bowles' secret?
(a) 200 liras.
(b) 75 liras.
(c) 500 liras.
(d) 150 liras.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
2. What does Pascali decide to do?
3. What does Pascali say of Bowles's speech patterns?
4. When Pascali tells Bowles Pasha wants to kill Bowles, what is Bowles' response?
5. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)