|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what is Bowles' pretended offer of friendship to Pascali solely based?
(a) Upon Bowles's erroneous perception that Pascali held power on the island.
(b) Upon Bowles's belief that he could manipulate Pascali to help him seduce Lydia.
(c) Upon Bowles's need for translation services.
(d) Upon Bowles's need for local legitimization.
2. Who cowers in his palace?
(a) Abdul-Hamid, the Sultan, cowers in his palace, trusting only his harem and guards.
(b) The King of England.
(c) The Kaiser of Germany.
(d) The King of France.
3. Who does Dr. Hogan say is the man to whom Bowles was talking?
(a) An American named Smith.
(b) The American fisherman named Smith.
(c) An Englishman named Jones.
(d) An American named Jones.
4. Of what does Bowles accuse Pascali?
(a) Of being insane.
(b) Of being an informant.
(c) Of being without a conscience.
(d) Of being timid.
5. Why is Pascali in danger?
(a) Because of his love for Lydia.
(b) For accepting bribe money.
(c) Because of Bowles' actions.
(d) For informing on Fisherman Smith.
6. How does Pascali see Bowles?
(a) As a frustrated writer.
(b) As a dead man.
(c) As a brilliant archeologist.
(d) As a dreamer and both a victim of his own mind and an exploiter of those ideas.
7. What does Hogan think "terra rossa" means?
(a) Red earth.
(b) The red planet Mars.
(c) Terracotta, a type of pottery.
(d) He has no idea.
8. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(a) The Frenchman Chaudan.
9. Who is the first person killed?
(a) A worker.
10. How does Pascali view Bowles after the meeting with Izzet?
(a) As a threat to Pascali's position on the island.
(b) As a scoundrel.
(c) He is afraid of Bowles but in awe of Bowles' talents.
(d) As more honest than Pascali had thought.
11. What does Pascali think that Bowles sees within Pascali?
(a) A man with high ideals.
(c) A man without a country.
(d) A homeless romantic.
12. Why does Pascali visit Dr. Hogan?
(a) Because his eyesight is getting worse.
(b) To relate to someone who is honest.
(c) To get a shot and information.
(d) Pascali needs a kind conversation and information.
13. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
(a) To get away from the unrequited love of Lydia.
(b) To make his way to Constantinople to find his previous reports.
(c) To save his life.
(d) To go to a cooler climate.
14. To what does Pascali agree?
(a) To removing the soldiers.
(b) To killing Bowles.
(c) To getting the money from Lydia.
(d) To finding Bowles.
15. What does Bowles insist that he is doing?
(a) Being honest.
(b) Paying Pascali.
(c) Helping the field of archeology.
(d) Writing a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pascali close his report?
2. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
3. Upon whose head is the responsibility for this situation?
4. Why does Pascali think Bowles despises Pascali?
5. What goes wrong with the meeting?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)