|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali wonder about Pasha?
(a) Why he is still alive after all his manipulations.
(b) If he has always been so fat.
(c) Why he has scared Izzet.
(d) What he hasn't acted against Bowles and Pascali yet.
2. When Pascali leads Izzet and the soldiers to the cove, who is dead?
(a) The soldiers Pasha had posted at the site.
(b) No one.
3. Who meets Pascali on his way home from Dr. Hogan's?
(c) Izzet and a large man.
4. How much does Izzet then offer?
(b) 700 liras, which is what Bowles initially asks for.
(c) 600 lira, 50 of which will pay Bowles for his time already spent.
(d) 800 liras.
5. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan in this section?
(a) That he is no longer going to be writing any reports.
(b) Of Pascali's desier to return to Istanbul.
(c) Of Pascali's desire to retire.
(d) Of the death of Bowles and his party to the Sultan in his report.
6. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 200 liras.
(b) 400 liras.
(c) 300 liras.
(d) 500 liras.
7. Why is Pascali depressed and anguished?
(a) At the thought of losing his 150 liras.
(b) At the thought of confronting Bowles.
(c) At the thought of confronting Lydia.
(d) At the thought of his own death.
8. Of what does Bowles accuse Pascali?
(a) Of being an informant.
(b) Of being timid.
(c) Of being insane.
(d) Of being without a conscience.
9. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
(a) To make his way to Constantinople to find his previous reports.
(b) To get away from the unrequited love of Lydia.
(c) To save his life.
(d) To go to a cooler climate.
10. Who does Bowles leave to meet?
(b) No one.
(c) Marchant and Lydia.
11. How does Pascali view Bowles after the meeting with Izzet?
(a) As more honest than Pascali had thought.
(b) He is afraid of Bowles but in awe of Bowles' talents.
(c) As a scoundrel.
(d) As a threat to Pascali's position on the island.
12. What does Pascali think Lydia has been doing?
(a) Two timing Bowles.
(b) Reporting Bowles's activities to Pasha.
(c) Acting as the go between for Bowles and Smith.
(d) Writing the Sultan of Bowles's activities.
13. Who cowers in his palace?
(a) The Kaiser of Germany.
(b) The King of England.
(c) The King of France.
(d) Abdul-Hamid, the Sultan, cowers in his palace, trusting only his harem and guards.
14. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That he is about to die.
(b) That Izzet likes the way Pascali works.
(c) That Pasha is not the person to fear.
(d) That he will get his money finally.
15. For what purpose would he do the answer to question #97?
(a) To get off the island.
(b) To get a lot of money.
(c) To see Bowles humiliated.
(d) To see Lydia turn away from Bowles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali think the men he is leading are going to do?
2. To what does Pascali admit?
3. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
4. When Pascali meets Izzet the next time, what does Izzet want?
5. What does Pascali think that Bowles sees within Pascali?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)