|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That Izzet likes the way Pascali works.
(b) That he will get his money finally.
(c) That Pasha is not the person to fear.
(d) That he is about to die.
2. What does Pascali think that Bowles sees within Pascali?
(a) A homeless romantic.
(c) A man with high ideals.
(d) A man without a country.
3. What does Pascali find Bowles doing at the excavation site?
(a) Unearthing a bronze statue.
(b) Smashing many artifacts.
(c) Burying the gold bracelet.
4. For what purpose would he do the answer to question #97?
(a) To get a lot of money.
(b) To see Lydia turn away from Bowles.
(c) To see Bowles humiliated.
(d) To get off the island.
5. How does Bowles envision the bronze statue he finds?
(a) Erected at the Sanctuary of Artimes.
(b) He has no plans for the statue.
(c) On a platform in the harbor.
(d) Placed into a museum with a plaque bearing his name.
6. Upon what is Bowles' pretended offer of friendship to Pascali solely based?
(a) Upon Bowles's belief that he could manipulate Pascali to help him seduce Lydia.
(b) Upon Bowles's need for translation services.
(c) Upon Bowles's need for local legitimization.
(d) Upon Bowles's erroneous perception that Pascali held power on the island.
7. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
(a) To make his way to Constantinople to find his previous reports.
(b) To go to a cooler climate.
(c) To save his life.
(d) To get away from the unrequited love of Lydia.
8. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
(a) Because he is greedy.
(b) He says he has had to stop his research and that does not cover his expenses.
(c) Because he has to pay Pascali out of that.
(d) Because he thinks they will not honor their offer.
9. With whom does Pascali ask to speak?
10. What does Pascali learn about the phrase "terra rossa"?
(a) That it is slightly radioactive.
(b) That there is actually no such material.
(c) That it is bauxite, a non-plastic, clay-like material, generally red in color.
(d) That it is only used in very primative cultures for making wood-fired dishes.
11. How does Pascali close his report?
(a) By signing his name.
(b) He says he quits.
(c) By saying May the Sultan Live Forever.
(d) He mentions that the entire report, from Bowles arrival to his death, could be as false as his earlier tale of the fly on his arm.
12. What did Pascali fear until recently?
(d) The Sultan.
13. Who does Pascali follow?
(b) Lydia and Bowles.
(d) A large white man with gaps in his teeth.
14. How would this trait that Bowles sees in Pascali help Bowles?
(a) Bowles can use the romantic side of Pascali to lure him with Lydia.
(b) Bowles can offer Pascali a return to his native land.
(c) Bowles can appeal to the high ideals to gain Pascali's help.
(d) It is a corruption to a level necessary to deal with the likes of Izzet and Pasha.
15. What does Bowles demand?
(a) For Pasha to meet with him instead of Izzet.
(b) For Pascali to be arrested for extortion.
(c) More money.
(d) The removal of the soldiers from the evacuation site.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
2. What kind of image does Pascali think Bowles projects?
3. When Pascali tells Bowles Pasha wants to kill Bowles, what is Bowles' response?
4. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
5. To what does Pascali admit?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)