|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pascali respond to Bowles' accusation.
(a) Pascali proudly declares himself to be "the best kind."
(b) He gives Bowles an evil grin.
(c) He lowers his head.
(d) He gets tearful.
2. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
(a) To make his way to Constantinople to find his previous reports.
(b) To go to a cooler climate.
(c) To save his life.
(d) To get away from the unrequited love of Lydia.
3. How does Pascali close his report?
(a) By saying May the Sultan Live Forever.
(b) He mentions that the entire report, from Bowles arrival to his death, could be as false as his earlier tale of the fly on his arm.
(c) By signing his name.
(d) He says he quits.
4. What does Hogan think "terra rossa" means?
(a) Terracotta, a type of pottery.
(b) Red earth.
(c) The red planet Mars.
(d) He has no idea.
5. What does Bowles demand?
(a) For Pascali to be arrested for extortion.
(b) For Pasha to meet with him instead of Izzet.
(c) The removal of the soldiers from the evacuation site.
(d) More money.
6. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room?
(a) Bowles' journal.
(b) A plate of olives.
(d) A gold ring from the excavation site.
7. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
(a) Bowles begins to berate the people of the Ottoman Empire, calling them savage and without honor.
(b) Bowles laughs at Pascali's concern about breaking the law.
(c) Bowles mentions how much he enjoys sex with Lydia.
(d) Bowles calls Pascali a wimp.
8. What does Pascali figure out about how Bowles will remove the statue from the island?
(a) He's still trying to figure it out.
(b) By way of Smith's boat.
(c) By ballon in the middle of the night.
(d) Through the mountains over to the other side of the island.
9. What does Pascali say of Bowles's speech patterns?
(a) That they sound more German than English.
(b) That they are a curious blend of sophistication and peasantry.
(c) That they belie his English origins.
(d) That they are seemingly innocent.
10. Who is the first person killed?
(b) A worker.
11. Who does Pascali see talking to the person Pascali is following?
12. What does Pascali think Lydia has been doing?
(a) Writing the Sultan of Bowles's activities.
(b) Two timing Bowles.
(c) Reporting Bowles's activities to Pasha.
(d) Acting as the go between for Bowles and Smith.
13. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 200 liras.
(b) 500 liras.
(c) 400 liras.
(d) 300 liras.
14. What does Bowles believe about Greek statues?
(a) That Greek statues are a metaphor for civilization.
(b) That Greek statues are a dime a dozen.
(c) That Greek statues have been secretly disseminated throughout the world.
(d) That Greek statues symbolize all human affairs.
15. Who does Bowles leave to meet?
(a) No one.
(d) Marchant and Lydia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
2. What does Pascali think the men he is leading are going to do?
3. What is Mannfeldt?
4. To what does Pascali agree?
5. With whom does Pascali ask to speak?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)