|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what is Bowles' pretended offer of friendship to Pascali solely based?
(a) Upon Bowles's erroneous perception that Pascali held power on the island.
(b) Upon Bowles's need for local legitimization.
(c) Upon Bowles's belief that he could manipulate Pascali to help him seduce Lydia.
(d) Upon Bowles's need for translation services.
2. What does Bowles demand?
(a) The removal of the soldiers from the evacuation site.
(b) For Pascali to be arrested for extortion.
(c) For Pasha to meet with him instead of Izzet.
(d) More money.
3. Who does Bowles leave to meet?
(a) Marchant and Lydia.
(c) No one.
4. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
(a) He says he has had to stop his research and that does not cover his expenses.
(b) Because he is greedy.
(c) Because he thinks they will not honor their offer.
(d) Because he has to pay Pascali out of that.
5. Upon whose head is the responsibility for this situation?
6. What does Pascali find when he returns home?
(a) Fifty liras with a not promising more soon.
(b) A letter addressed to Lydia and Pascali giving them Bowles's blessings.
(c) A note saying the money will be mailed to him.
(d) The one hundred fifty liras promised him, with a note telling him to leave the island.
7. Why are Pasha and Izzet caught in a must-pay situation?
(a) Not to pay would mean involvement by authorities which would betray their secret.
(b) They do not have to pay; they know the authorities will believe them over Bowles.
(c) Because Bowles has kidnapped a child of each of them and holds the child against payment.
(d) They know Bowles has the contacts to have them killed.
8. How would this trait that Bowles sees in Pascali help Bowles?
(a) Bowles can offer Pascali a return to his native land.
(b) It is a corruption to a level necessary to deal with the likes of Izzet and Pasha.
(c) Bowles can appeal to the high ideals to gain Pascali's help.
(d) Bowles can use the romantic side of Pascali to lure him with Lydia.
9. What does Hogan's wife give Pascali?
(a) A bowl of shelled peas.
(b) A smile and a hug.
(c) A plate of falafiel.
(d) A jar of tomato paste.
10. What does Bowles say about the stranger with whom he was speaking?
(a) That he is a German.
(b) That he comes from Istanbul.
(c) That he is an American.
11. Why does Pascali visit Dr. Hogan?
(a) To relate to someone who is honest.
(b) Pascali needs a kind conversation and information.
(c) To get a shot and information.
(d) Because his eyesight is getting worse.
12. Why does Bowles want to leave the situation for a few days?
(a) To extort more money.
(b) To find more artifacts.
(c) To find out who is behind Pasha's scheme.
(d) Because he has not finished his research.
13. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
(a) That Lydia is actually a German government agent.
(b) That the Sultan is dead.
(c) That the Sultan is on his way to being deposed.
(d) That Germany has occupied Constantinople.
14. What does Pascali wonder about Pasha?
(a) Why he has scared Izzet.
(b) Why he is still alive after all his manipulations.
(c) If he has always been so fat.
(d) What he hasn't acted against Bowles and Pascali yet.
15. What does Pascali know about Izzet and Pasha regarding payment?
(a) They do not care if they lose such a small sum of money.
(b) They do not know they are being blackmailed.
(c) They do not have that much money.
(d) They have no choice but to pay the 700 lira that Bowles demands.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose would he do the answer to question #97?
2. To what does Pascali agree?
3. What does Hogan think "terra rossa" means?
4. Why is Pascali in danger?
5. How does Pascali respond to Bowles' accusation.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)