|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali realize that Bowles believes about himself?
(a) Bowles believes he is a prophet.
(b) Bowles believes himself to be on a mission from a higher power.
(c) Bowles believes he is above the law.
(d) Bowles believes he is the messiah of Greek art.
2. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
(a) To make a few more sketches.
(b) To hide his activities.
(c) To plunder the artifacts more.
(d) To make his getaway on Smith's boat.
3. Why does Pascali think Bowles despises Pascali?
(a) Because Bowles despises everyone on the island except Lydia.
(b) Because within Pascali Bowles sees himself,
(c) Because Pascali knows Bowles is up to something.
(d) Because Pascali wants to be paid for his translation work.
4. What does Pascali insist to Bowles about the church service?
(a) That the priest is in on the conspiracy to kill Bowles.
(b) That the Saint was hexed.
(c) That they were going to kill Pascali.
(d) Pascali is unwilling to answer Bowles's questions.
5. What is the most significant thing about terra rossa?
(a) It is a fairly valuable export.
(b) It is only found on this island.
(c) It contains large amounts of aluminum deposits.
(d) It can create an explosion when mixed with sulfur.
6. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(a) The Frenchman Chaudan.
7. Who cowers in his palace?
(a) The King of France.
(b) Abdul-Hamid, the Sultan, cowers in his palace, trusting only his harem and guards.
(c) The King of England.
(d) The Kaiser of Germany.
8. To what does Pascali agree?
(a) To finding Bowles.
(b) To killing Bowles.
(c) To getting the money from Lydia.
(d) To removing the soldiers.
9. Who is Bowles supposed to meet with at the opening of this section?
10. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
(a) Further negotiations.
(b) Any more money.
(c) Any artifacts being turned over to the State.
(d) Bowles leaving the island.
11. Who does Pascali see talking to the person Pascali is following?
12. How much does Pascali ask for keeping Bowles' secret?
(a) 150 liras.
(b) 500 liras.
(c) 75 liras.
(d) 200 liras.
13. What does Pascali see as he's walking home through the market?
(a) Lydia talking with three strangers.
(b) Three strangers buying fruit.
(c) Bowles talking with three strangers.
(d) Lydia and Bowles talking with a stranger.
14. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
(a) Bowles laughs at Pascali's concern about breaking the law.
(b) Bowles calls Pascali a wimp.
(c) Bowles begins to berate the people of the Ottoman Empire, calling them savage and without honor.
(d) Bowles mentions how much he enjoys sex with Lydia.
15. What does Bowles believe about Greek statues?
(a) That Greek statues are a metaphor for civilization.
(b) That Greek statues have been secretly disseminated throughout the world.
(c) That Greek statues symbolize all human affairs.
(d) That Greek statues are a dime a dozen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali decide to do?
2. What does Bowles demand?
3. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
4. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room?
5. For what purpose would he do the answer to question #97?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)