|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan in this section?
(a) Of the death of Bowles and his party to the Sultan in his report.
(b) That he is no longer going to be writing any reports.
(c) Of Pascali's desire to retire.
(d) Of Pascali's desier to return to Istanbul.
2. How is Bowles killed?
(a) One of the soldiers stabs him with his bayonet.
(b) He is not killed.
(c) The statue crushes him.
(d) Lydia kills him before she dies.
3. What does Pascali know about Izzet and Pasha regarding payment?
(a) They do not care if they lose such a small sum of money.
(b) They do not know they are being blackmailed.
(c) They have no choice but to pay the 700 lira that Bowles demands.
(d) They do not have that much money.
4. What does Pascali see as he's walking home through the market?
(a) Bowles talking with three strangers.
(b) Lydia and Bowles talking with a stranger.
(c) Lydia talking with three strangers.
(d) Three strangers buying fruit.
5. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
(a) Any artifacts being turned over to the State.
(b) Further negotiations.
(c) Bowles leaving the island.
(d) Any more money.
6. What does Pascali think that Bowles sees within Pascali?
(b) A man without a country.
(c) A homeless romantic.
(d) A man with high ideals.
7. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
(a) To make a few more sketches.
(b) To hide his activities.
(c) To plunder the artifacts more.
(d) To make his getaway on Smith's boat.
8. What does Pascali think Lydia has been doing?
(a) Reporting Bowles's activities to Pasha.
(b) Acting as the go between for Bowles and Smith.
(c) Writing the Sultan of Bowles's activities.
(d) Two timing Bowles.
9. How would this trait that Bowles sees in Pascali help Bowles?
(a) Bowles can appeal to the high ideals to gain Pascali's help.
(b) Bowles can offer Pascali a return to his native land.
(c) Bowles can use the romantic side of Pascali to lure him with Lydia.
(d) It is a corruption to a level necessary to deal with the likes of Izzet and Pasha.
10. What does the note from Bowles say?
(a) That he has left for England.
(b) That they can find him at the Sanctuary.
(c) That he is unable to attend.
(d) That he is unavoidably delayed for an hour.
11. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
(a) That Bowles works for German SSI.
(b) That Bowles actually is a geologist.
(c) Bowles has completed this same scheme that he is running on Pasha in numerous areas around Asia Minor for many months.
(d) That Bowles is cousin to the Sultan.
12. How does Bowles envision the bronze statue he finds?
(a) On a platform in the harbor.
(b) Placed into a museum with a plaque bearing his name.
(c) He has no plans for the statue.
(d) Erected at the Sanctuary of Artimes.
13. What does Hogan's wife give Pascali?
(a) A bowl of shelled peas.
(b) A smile and a hug.
(c) A plate of falafiel.
(d) A jar of tomato paste.
14. Why is Pascali depressed and anguished?
(a) At the thought of his own death.
(b) At the thought of confronting Bowles.
(c) At the thought of confronting Lydia.
(d) At the thought of losing his 150 liras.
15. About what does Pascali warn Bowles?
(a) That Izzet has secretly called in the Sultan's assassin.
(b) That Pasha has set up an ambush at the site.
(c) That someone is stalking Bowles.
(d) That they are both likely to lose their heads if things are not resolved very soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bowles demand?
2. What goes wrong with the meeting?
3. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
4. Who waits impatiently for all persons to arrive for the meeting?
5. How does Pascali close his report?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)