|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
(a) Because he thinks they will not honor their offer.
(b) Because he is greedy.
(c) Because he has to pay Pascali out of that.
(d) He says he has had to stop his research and that does not cover his expenses.
2. Who does Dr. Hogan say is the man to whom Bowles was talking?
(a) An American named Jones.
(b) The American fisherman named Smith.
(c) An American named Smith.
(d) An Englishman named Jones.
3. How does Pascali see Bowles?
(a) As a dreamer and both a victim of his own mind and an exploiter of those ideas.
(b) As a dead man.
(c) As a frustrated writer.
(d) As a brilliant archeologist.
4. What does the note from Bowles say?
(a) That they can find him at the Sanctuary.
(b) That he is unable to attend.
(c) That he is unavoidably delayed for an hour.
(d) That he has left for England.
5. Who waits impatiently for all persons to arrive for the meeting?
(a) Bowles and Izzet.
(b) Bowles and Pascali.
(c) Pascali and Izzet.
6. Who does Pascali see talking to the person Pascali is following?
7. About what does Pascali warn Bowles?
(a) That Pasha has set up an ambush at the site.
(b) That someone is stalking Bowles.
(c) That they are both likely to lose their heads if things are not resolved very soon.
(d) That Izzet has secretly called in the Sultan's assassin.
8. How does Pascali close his report?
(a) He says he quits.
(b) He mentions that the entire report, from Bowles arrival to his death, could be as false as his earlier tale of the fly on his arm.
(c) By saying May the Sultan Live Forever.
(d) By signing his name.
9. Where does the person go who Pascali is following?
(a) To the excavation site.
(b) To Pasha's home.
(c) Into a bar called the Agoraki.
(d) To Lydia's home.
10. What happens as Pascali waits at the hotel?
(a) Bowles arrives but will not speak to Pascali.
(b) Pascali gets drunk.
(c) Bowles does not show up.
(d) Pascali witnesses a handoff of a large package from Bowles to Smith.
11. What did Pascali fear until recently?
(d) The Sultan.
12. How much does Izzet then offer?
(a) 800 liras.
(b) 600 lira, 50 of which will pay Bowles for his time already spent.
(d) 700 liras, which is what Bowles initially asks for.
13. Who does Pascali follow?
(b) A large white man with gaps in his teeth.
(c) Lydia and Bowles.
14. What does Pascali wonder about Pasha?
(a) If he has always been so fat.
(b) Why he has scared Izzet.
(c) What he hasn't acted against Bowles and Pascali yet.
(d) Why he is still alive after all his manipulations.
15. What is Mannfeldt?
(a) A ship in the harbor of the island.
(b) An armament firm of Germany.
(c) A city in Germany.
(d) A book by Kant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would this trait that Bowles sees in Pascali help Bowles?
2. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
3. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
4. What does Pascali think Lydia has been doing?
5. Who is Bowles supposed to meet with at the opening of this section?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)