|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
(a) That Bowles is cousin to the Sultan.
(b) That Bowles works for German SSI.
(c) Bowles has completed this same scheme that he is running on Pasha in numerous areas around Asia Minor for many months.
(d) That Bowles actually is a geologist.
2. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
(a) That Germany has occupied Constantinople.
(b) That the Sultan is on his way to being deposed.
(c) That the Sultan is dead.
(d) That Lydia is actually a German government agent.
3. When Pascali tells Bowles Pasha wants to kill Bowles, what is Bowles' response?
(a) That Bowles is leaving that night.
(b) That Bowles has a few tricks up his sleeve.
(c) That Bowles feels safe.
(d) That Scotland Yard is keeping an eye on things.
4. Who cowers in his palace?
(a) The Kaiser of Germany.
(b) The King of England.
(c) Abdul-Hamid, the Sultan, cowers in his palace, trusting only his harem and guards.
(d) The King of France.
5. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
(a) Any artifacts being turned over to the State.
(b) Bowles leaving the island.
(c) Further negotiations.
(d) Any more money.
6. What does Pascali realize that Bowles believes about himself?
(a) Bowles believes himself to be on a mission from a higher power.
(b) Bowles believes he is above the law.
(c) Bowles believes he is a prophet.
(d) Bowles believes he is the messiah of Greek art.
7. Upon whose head is the responsibility for this situation?
8. What is the likely reason Bowles has suddenly brought up the presence of the soldiers?
(a) As a stalling tactic.
(b) To be doubly obnoxious.
(c) As more leverage.
(d) Because he wants to discomfit Pasha.
9. What does Pascali know about Izzet and Pasha regarding payment?
(a) They do not care if they lose such a small sum of money.
(b) They do not know they are being blackmailed.
(c) They do not have that much money.
(d) They have no choice but to pay the 700 lira that Bowles demands.
10. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(b) The Frenchman Chaudan.
11. What does Pascali decide to do?
(a) Bribe Bowles.
(b) Bribe Lydia.
(c) Bribe Izzet.
(d) Kill Pasha.
12. What does Pascali insist to Bowles about the church service?
(a) That the priest is in on the conspiracy to kill Bowles.
(b) That the Saint was hexed.
(c) Pascali is unwilling to answer Bowles's questions.
(d) That they were going to kill Pascali.
13. What does Pascali think Lydia has been doing?
(a) Writing the Sultan of Bowles's activities.
(b) Acting as the go between for Bowles and Smith.
(c) Two timing Bowles.
(d) Reporting Bowles's activities to Pasha.
14. What does Hogan think "terra rossa" means?
(a) Red earth.
(b) The red planet Mars.
(c) He has no idea.
(d) Terracotta, a type of pottery.
15. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
(a) Bowles laughs at Pascali's concern about breaking the law.
(b) Bowles mentions how much he enjoys sex with Lydia.
(c) Bowles calls Pascali a wimp.
(d) Bowles begins to berate the people of the Ottoman Empire, calling them savage and without honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Pasha and Izzet caught in a must-pay situation?
2. Who is the first person killed?
3. What does Bowles demand?
4. Why does Pascali think Bowles despises Pascali?
5. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)