|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bowles envision the bronze statue he finds?
(a) On a platform in the harbor.
(b) He has no plans for the statue.
(c) Placed into a museum with a plaque bearing his name.
(d) Erected at the Sanctuary of Artimes.
2. What happens as Pascali waits at the hotel?
(a) Pascali gets drunk.
(b) Pascali witnesses a handoff of a large package from Bowles to Smith.
(c) Bowles arrives but will not speak to Pascali.
(d) Bowles does not show up.
3. How much does Izzet then offer?
(a) 700 liras, which is what Bowles initially asks for.
(b) 600 lira, 50 of which will pay Bowles for his time already spent.
(c) 800 liras.
4. Why are Pasha and Izzet caught in a must-pay situation?
(a) Not to pay would mean involvement by authorities which would betray their secret.
(b) They do not have to pay; they know the authorities will believe them over Bowles.
(c) They know Bowles has the contacts to have them killed.
(d) Because Bowles has kidnapped a child of each of them and holds the child against payment.
5. Who waits impatiently for all persons to arrive for the meeting?
(b) Bowles and Izzet.
(c) Pascali and Izzet.
(d) Bowles and Pascali.
6. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
(a) That the Sultan is on his way to being deposed.
(b) That Lydia is actually a German government agent.
(c) That Germany has occupied Constantinople.
(d) That the Sultan is dead.
7. How does Pascali respond to Bowles' accusation.
(a) He lowers his head.
(b) He gets tearful.
(c) He gives Bowles an evil grin.
(d) Pascali proudly declares himself to be "the best kind."
8. What does Hogan's wife give Pascali?
(a) A jar of tomato paste.
(b) A smile and a hug.
(c) A plate of falafiel.
(d) A bowl of shelled peas.
9. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(c) The Frenchman Chaudan.
10. What does Hogan think "terra rossa" means?
(a) He has no idea.
(b) The red planet Mars.
(c) Terracotta, a type of pottery.
(d) Red earth.
11. What does Pascali learn about the phrase "terra rossa"?
(a) That it is only used in very primative cultures for making wood-fired dishes.
(b) That there is actually no such material.
(c) That it is slightly radioactive.
(d) That it is bauxite, a non-plastic, clay-like material, generally red in color.
12. Why do Pascali and Bowles meet with Izzet at the hotel?
(a) Because they have a great buffet.
(b) So they cannot be secretly killed at Pasha's house.
(c) To discuss the seven hundred liras payment.
(d) For public witnesses.
13. What does Pascali wonder about Pasha?
(a) Why he has scared Izzet.
(b) What he hasn't acted against Bowles and Pascali yet.
(c) Why he is still alive after all his manipulations.
(d) If he has always been so fat.
14. Who is Bowles supposed to meet with at the opening of this section?
15. Where does the person go who Pascali is following?
(a) Into a bar called the Agoraki.
(b) To Lydia's home.
(c) To the excavation site.
(d) To Pasha's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali think the men he is leading are going to do?
2. What does Pascali find Bowles doing at the excavation site?
3. Why does Pascali visit Dr. Hogan?
4. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
5. How does Pascali see Bowles?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)