|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the likely reason Bowles has suddenly brought up the presence of the soldiers?
(a) Because he wants to discomfit Pasha.
(b) To be doubly obnoxious.
(c) As a stalling tactic.
(d) As more leverage.
2. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That Pasha is not the person to fear.
(b) That he will get his money finally.
(c) That he is about to die.
(d) That Izzet likes the way Pascali works.
3. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(b) The Frenchman Chaudan.
4. When Pascali leads Izzet and the soldiers to the cove, who is dead?
(a) No one.
(c) The soldiers Pasha had posted at the site.
5. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
(a) Bowles leaving the island.
(b) Further negotiations.
(c) Any more money.
(d) Any artifacts being turned over to the State.
6. What does the note from Bowles say?
(a) That he has left for England.
(b) That he is unable to attend.
(c) That they can find him at the Sanctuary.
(d) That he is unavoidably delayed for an hour.
7. How is Bowles killed?
(a) The statue crushes him.
(b) Lydia kills him before she dies.
(c) One of the soldiers stabs him with his bayonet.
(d) He is not killed.
8. What does Bowles say to the second offer?
(a) He declines.
(b) He declines but says he may change his mind but needs a day to think on it.
(c) He accepts.
(d) He accepts but says they have to pay him 10 percent of any profit.
9. Why do Pascali and Bowles meet with Izzet at the hotel?
(a) To discuss the seven hundred liras payment.
(b) For public witnesses.
(c) Because they have a great buffet.
(d) So they cannot be secretly killed at Pasha's house.
10. Where does the person go who Pascali is following?
(a) To the excavation site.
(b) Into a bar called the Agoraki.
(c) To Lydia's home.
(d) To Pasha's home.
11. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
(a) Bowles has completed this same scheme that he is running on Pasha in numerous areas around Asia Minor for many months.
(b) That Bowles works for German SSI.
(c) That Bowles actually is a geologist.
(d) That Bowles is cousin to the Sultan.
12. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 200 liras.
(b) 400 liras.
(c) 300 liras.
(d) 500 liras.
13. Who cowers in his palace?
(a) The Kaiser of Germany.
(b) The King of England.
(c) Abdul-Hamid, the Sultan, cowers in his palace, trusting only his harem and guards.
(d) The King of France.
14. To what does Pascali agree?
(a) To removing the soldiers.
(b) To killing Bowles.
(c) To finding Bowles.
(d) To getting the money from Lydia.
15. What does Bowles demand?
(a) For Pasha to meet with him instead of Izzet.
(b) More money.
(c) For Pascali to be arrested for extortion.
(d) The removal of the soldiers from the evacuation site.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pascali respond to Bowles' accusation.
2. Why is Pascali depressed and anguished?
3. Who does Bowles leave to meet?
4. Why is Pascali in danger?
5. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)