|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most significant thing about terra rossa?
(a) It is a fairly valuable export.
(b) It can create an explosion when mixed with sulfur.
(c) It is only found on this island.
(d) It contains large amounts of aluminum deposits.
2. Who meets Pascali on his way home from Dr. Hogan's?
(b) Izzet and a large man.
3. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan in this section?
(a) Of Pascali's desier to return to Istanbul.
(b) Of the death of Bowles and his party to the Sultan in his report.
(c) Of Pascali's desire to retire.
(d) That he is no longer going to be writing any reports.
4. What does Pascali decide to do?
(a) Bribe Lydia.
(b) Bribe Bowles.
(c) Bribe Izzet.
(d) Kill Pasha.
5. Why does Pascali think Bowles despises Pascali?
(a) Because Pascali wants to be paid for his translation work.
(b) Because Bowles despises everyone on the island except Lydia.
(c) Because Pascali knows Bowles is up to something.
(d) Because within Pascali Bowles sees himself,
6. What gives Pascali the courage to bring up the matter of blackmailing Bowles?
(a) Bowles mentions how much he enjoys sex with Lydia.
(b) Bowles begins to berate the people of the Ottoman Empire, calling them savage and without honor.
(c) Bowles calls Pascali a wimp.
(d) Bowles laughs at Pascali's concern about breaking the law.
7. How does Pascali see Bowles?
(a) As a frustrated writer.
(b) As a brilliant archeologist.
(c) As a dead man.
(d) As a dreamer and both a victim of his own mind and an exploiter of those ideas.
8. Who waits impatiently for all persons to arrive for the meeting?
(a) Bowles and Pascali.
(b) Pascali and Izzet.
(d) Bowles and Izzet.
9. What hinges upon Izzet fulfilling Bowles's demand?
(a) Further negotiations.
(b) Bowles leaving the island.
(c) Any more money.
(d) Any artifacts being turned over to the State.
10. What is Mannfeldt?
(a) A ship in the harbor of the island.
(b) A book by Kant.
(c) A city in Germany.
(d) An armament firm of Germany.
11. What does Bowles say about the stranger with whom he was speaking?
(a) That he comes from Istanbul.
(b) That he is an American.
(c) That he is a German.
12. Why does Bowles want to leave the situation for a few days?
(a) To extort more money.
(b) To find more artifacts.
(c) To find out who is behind Pasha's scheme.
(d) Because he has not finished his research.
13. What does Pascali learn about the phrase "terra rossa"?
(a) That it is bauxite, a non-plastic, clay-like material, generally red in color.
(b) That there is actually no such material.
(c) That it is only used in very primative cultures for making wood-fired dishes.
(d) That it is slightly radioactive.
14. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
(a) To make his getaway on Smith's boat.
(b) To make a few more sketches.
(c) To plunder the artifacts more.
(d) To hide his activities.
15. How is Bowles killed?
(a) He is not killed.
(b) One of the soldiers stabs him with his bayonet.
(c) Lydia kills him before she dies.
(d) The statue crushes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Pascali ask to speak?
2. To what does Pascali agree?
3. What does Hogan's wife give Pascali?
4. Who does Bowles leave to meet?
5. What does Pascali see as he's walking home through the market?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)