|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Izzet say he knows about Bowles?
(a) That Bowles used to work for Scotland Yard.
(b) That Bowles has a wife arriving on the next boat.
(c) That Bowles does have an advance degree in archeology.
(d) That Bowles and Smith are associated.
2. What does Pascali say of Bowles's speech patterns?
(a) That they are a curious blend of sophistication and peasantry.
(b) That they sound more German than English.
(c) That they are seemingly innocent.
(d) That they belie his English origins.
3. Who is Bowles supposed to meet with at the opening of this section?
4. Why does Pascali think Bowles despises Pascali?
(a) Because Pascali wants to be paid for his translation work.
(b) Because Bowles despises everyone on the island except Lydia.
(c) Because within Pascali Bowles sees himself,
(d) Because Pascali knows Bowles is up to something.
5. Why do Pascali and Bowles meet with Izzet at the hotel?
(a) For public witnesses.
(b) Because they have a great buffet.
(c) So they cannot be secretly killed at Pasha's house.
(d) To discuss the seven hundred liras payment.
6. How does Pascali close his report?
(a) By signing his name.
(b) He mentions that the entire report, from Bowles arrival to his death, could be as false as his earlier tale of the fly on his arm.
(c) He says he quits.
(d) By saying May the Sultan Live Forever.
7. What did Pascali fear until recently?
(c) The Sultan.
8. What does Pascali know about Izzet and Pasha regarding payment?
(a) They have no choice but to pay the 700 lira that Bowles demands.
(b) They do not have that much money.
(c) They do not know they are being blackmailed.
(d) They do not care if they lose such a small sum of money.
9. What does Bowles insist that he is doing?
(a) Paying Pascali.
(b) Being honest.
(c) Helping the field of archeology.
(d) Writing a book.
10. What does Pascali think that Bowles sees within Pascali?
(b) A man without a country.
(c) A homeless romantic.
(d) A man with high ideals.
11. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room?
(b) A plate of olives.
(c) A gold ring from the excavation site.
(d) Bowles' journal.
12. What does Pascali decide to do?
(a) Bribe Bowles.
(b) Bribe Izzet.
(c) Bribe Lydia.
(d) Kill Pasha.
13. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
(a) That Bowles is cousin to the Sultan.
(b) That Bowles actually is a geologist.
(c) Bowles has completed this same scheme that he is running on Pasha in numerous areas around Asia Minor for many months.
(d) That Bowles works for German SSI.
14. When Pascali meets Izzet the next time, what does Izzet want?
(a) To have Pascali bring Bowles to a place where Bowles can be roughed up.
(b) Pascali does not see Izzet anymore in the story.
(c) To know if Smith and Bowles are running drugs.
(d) To know why Bowles is delaying.
15. What does Bowles say to the second offer?
(a) He accepts.
(b) He accepts but says they have to pay him 10 percent of any profit.
(c) He declines but says he may change his mind but needs a day to think on it.
(d) He declines.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bowles killed?
2. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
3. What does Hogan's wife give Pascali?
4. Of what does Bowles accuse Pascali?
5. What does Pascali find Bowles doing at the excavation site?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)