|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bowles envision the bronze statue he finds?
(a) On a platform in the harbor.
(b) Erected at the Sanctuary of Artimes.
(c) He has no plans for the statue.
(d) Placed into a museum with a plaque bearing his name.
2. What does Bowles believe about Greek statues?
(a) That Greek statues symbolize all human affairs.
(b) That Greek statues have been secretly disseminated throughout the world.
(c) That Greek statues are a dime a dozen.
(d) That Greek statues are a metaphor for civilization.
3. When Pascali leads Izzet and the soldiers to the cove, who is dead?
(a) The soldiers Pasha had posted at the site.
(d) No one.
4. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
(a) Because he is greedy.
(b) Because he has to pay Pascali out of that.
(c) He says he has had to stop his research and that does not cover his expenses.
(d) Because he thinks they will not honor their offer.
5. Who is Pasha deceiving?
(a) The empire.
(b) The English.
6. Of what does Bowles accuse Pascali?
(a) Of being an informant.
(b) Of being timid.
(c) Of being without a conscience.
(d) Of being insane.
7. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 500 liras.
(b) 300 liras.
(c) 200 liras.
(d) 400 liras.
8. Who is Bowles supposed to meet with at the opening of this section?
9. Why does Pascali want to leave the island?
(a) To get away from the unrequited love of Lydia.
(b) To save his life.
(c) To make his way to Constantinople to find his previous reports.
(d) To go to a cooler climate.
10. Why does Bowles want to leave the situation for a few days?
(a) Because he has not finished his research.
(b) To extort more money.
(c) To find out who is behind Pasha's scheme.
(d) To find more artifacts.
11. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
(a) That Germany has occupied Constantinople.
(b) That the Sultan is dead.
(c) That Lydia is actually a German government agent.
(d) That the Sultan is on his way to being deposed.
12. What does Pascali see as he's walking home through the market?
(a) Lydia talking with three strangers.
(b) Bowles talking with three strangers.
(c) Lydia and Bowles talking with a stranger.
(d) Three strangers buying fruit.
13. What does Pascali take from Bowles' room?
(b) Bowles' journal.
(c) A plate of olives.
(d) A gold ring from the excavation site.
14. With whom does Pascali ask to speak?
15. About what does Pascali warn Bowles?
(a) That Pasha has set up an ambush at the site.
(b) That Izzet has secretly called in the Sultan's assassin.
(c) That someone is stalking Bowles.
(d) That they are both likely to lose their heads if things are not resolved very soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Pascali and Bowles meet with Izzet at the hotel?
2. What does Bowles say about the stranger with whom he was speaking?
3. What does Izzet tell Pascali?
4. Why is Pascali in danger?
5. What is the likely reason Bowles has suddenly brought up the presence of the soldiers?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)