|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali realize that Bowles believes about himself?
(a) Bowles believes he is a prophet.
(b) Bowles believes he is the messiah of Greek art.
(c) Bowles believes himself to be on a mission from a higher power.
(d) Bowles believes he is above the law.
2. How does Pascali view Bowles after the meeting with Izzet?
(a) As a scoundrel.
(b) He is afraid of Bowles but in awe of Bowles' talents.
(c) As a threat to Pascali's position on the island.
(d) As more honest than Pascali had thought.
3. What is Mannfeldt?
(a) A city in Germany.
(b) A ship in the harbor of the island.
(c) An armament firm of Germany.
(d) A book by Kant.
4. What is the likely reason Bowles has suddenly brought up the presence of the soldiers?
(a) As more leverage.
(b) As a stalling tactic.
(c) To be doubly obnoxious.
(d) Because he wants to discomfit Pasha.
5. How does Pascali see Bowles?
(a) As a brilliant archeologist.
(b) As a dreamer and both a victim of his own mind and an exploiter of those ideas.
(c) As a dead man.
(d) As a frustrated writer.
6. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan again?
(a) The suspicians he has of Bowles.
(b) The need for more money.
(c) The fear he has that he has been discovered.
(d) Pascali's blending of reality and illusion to create realism in imaginary settings.
7. Who does Pascali meet in the hotel lobby?
(d) The Frenchman Chaudan.
8. What does Pascali know about Izzet and Pasha regarding payment?
(a) They do not know they are being blackmailed.
(b) They have no choice but to pay the 700 lira that Bowles demands.
(c) They do not care if they lose such a small sum of money.
(d) They do not have that much money.
9. Who does Pascali see talking to the person Pascali is following?
10. What does the note from Bowles say?
(a) That he is unavoidably delayed for an hour.
(b) That he is unable to attend.
(c) That he has left for England.
(d) That they can find him at the Sanctuary.
11. How much does Pascali ask for keeping Bowles' secret?
(a) 150 liras.
(b) 500 liras.
(c) 75 liras.
(d) 200 liras.
12. When Pascali meets Izzet the next time, what does Izzet want?
(a) Pascali does not see Izzet anymore in the story.
(b) To have Pascali bring Bowles to a place where Bowles can be roughed up.
(c) To know why Bowles is delaying.
(d) To know if Smith and Bowles are running drugs.
13. Of what does Bowles accuse Pascali?
(a) Of being without a conscience.
(b) Of being timid.
(c) Of being an informant.
(d) Of being insane.
14. Upon what is Bowles' pretended offer of friendship to Pascali solely based?
(a) Upon Bowles's belief that he could manipulate Pascali to help him seduce Lydia.
(b) Upon Bowles's erroneous perception that Pascali held power on the island.
(c) Upon Bowles's need for local legitimization.
(d) Upon Bowles's need for translation services.
15. How much does Izzet offer Bowles?
(a) 400 liras.
(b) 500 liras.
(c) 200 liras.
(d) 300 liras.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
2. Who does Bowles leave to meet?
3. What does Pascali think Lydia has been doing?
4. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan in this section?
5. Why does Bowles refuse the offer?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)