|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as Pascali waits at the hotel?
(a) Bowles arrives but will not speak to Pascali.
(b) Bowles does not show up.
(c) Pascali witnesses a handoff of a large package from Bowles to Smith.
(d) Pascali gets drunk.
2. When Pascali meets Izzet the next time, what does Izzet want?
(a) Pascali does not see Izzet anymore in the story.
(b) To know why Bowles is delaying.
(c) To know if Smith and Bowles are running drugs.
(d) To have Pascali bring Bowles to a place where Bowles can be roughed up.
3. What does Pascali say of Bowles's speech patterns?
(a) That they belie his English origins.
(b) That they sound more German than English.
(c) That they are a curious blend of sophistication and peasantry.
(d) That they are seemingly innocent.
4. How much does Pascali ask for keeping Bowles' secret?
(a) 75 liras.
(b) 150 liras.
(c) 200 liras.
(d) 500 liras.
5. What does Bowles insist that he is doing?
(a) Writing a book.
(b) Paying Pascali.
(c) Helping the field of archeology.
(d) Being honest.
6. What does Pascali insist to Bowles about the church service?
(a) That they were going to kill Pascali.
(b) That the Saint was hexed.
(c) That the priest is in on the conspiracy to kill Bowles.
(d) Pascali is unwilling to answer Bowles's questions.
7. Why is Pascali depressed and anguished?
(a) At the thought of his own death.
(b) At the thought of confronting Lydia.
(c) At the thought of losing his 150 liras.
(d) At the thought of confronting Bowles.
8. What kind of image does Pascali think Bowles projects?
(a) A dedicated amatuer scientist.
(b) One of decency, morality, and ethics.
(c) A bit of a fop.
(d) A sophisticated, yet jaded, businessman.
9. With whom does Pascali ask to speak?
10. Why does Pascali think Bowles despises Pascali?
(a) Because Bowles despises everyone on the island except Lydia.
(b) Because within Pascali Bowles sees himself,
(c) Because Pascali knows Bowles is up to something.
(d) Because Pascali wants to be paid for his translation work.
11. Why do Pascali and Bowles meet with Izzet at the hotel?
(a) For public witnesses.
(b) Because they have a great buffet.
(c) So they cannot be secretly killed at Pasha's house.
(d) To discuss the seven hundred liras payment.
12. Why does Pascali visit Dr. Hogan?
(a) To relate to someone who is honest.
(b) Pascali needs a kind conversation and information.
(c) Because his eyesight is getting worse.
(d) To get a shot and information.
13. What is the likely reason Bowles has suddenly brought up the presence of the soldiers?
(a) As more leverage.
(b) Because he wants to discomfit Pasha.
(c) As a stalling tactic.
(d) To be doubly obnoxious.
14. Who does Bowles leave to meet?
(b) Marchant and Lydia.
(c) No one.
15. To what does Pascali admit?
(a) Stealing the marble statue.
(b) Stealing the gold watch.
(c) Being jealous of Bowles with Lydia.
(d) Searching Bowles' hotel room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
2. What is the most significant thing about terra rossa?
3. To what does Pascali agree?
4. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan again?
5. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan in this section?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)