|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Izzet then offer?
(a) 700 liras, which is what Bowles initially asks for.
(b) 800 liras.
(d) 600 lira, 50 of which will pay Bowles for his time already spent.
2. What does Pascali figure out about how Bowles will remove the statue from the island?
(a) He's still trying to figure it out.
(b) By way of Smith's boat.
(c) Through the mountains over to the other side of the island.
(d) By ballon in the middle of the night.
3. What does Bowles insist that he is doing?
(a) Helping the field of archeology.
(b) Being honest.
(c) Writing a book.
(d) Paying Pascali.
4. When Pascali tells Bowles Pasha wants to kill Bowles, what is Bowles' response?
(a) That Bowles feels safe.
(b) That Scotland Yard is keeping an eye on things.
(c) That Bowles has a few tricks up his sleeve.
(d) That Bowles is leaving that night.
5. Why does Bowles want to leave the situation for a few days?
(a) To find out who is behind Pasha's scheme.
(b) To extort more money.
(c) Because he has not finished his research.
(d) To find more artifacts.
6. What does Izzet say he knows about Bowles?
(a) That Bowles used to work for Scotland Yard.
(b) That Bowles and Smith are associated.
(c) That Bowles does have an advance degree in archeology.
(d) That Bowles has a wife arriving on the next boat.
7. Of what does Pascali write to the Sultan again?
(a) The need for more money.
(b) The suspicians he has of Bowles.
(c) The fear he has that he has been discovered.
(d) Pascali's blending of reality and illusion to create realism in imaginary settings.
8. What happens as Pascali waits at the hotel?
(a) Bowles does not show up.
(b) Bowles arrives but will not speak to Pascali.
(c) Pascali witnesses a handoff of a large package from Bowles to Smith.
(d) Pascali gets drunk.
9. What does Pascali insist to Bowles about the church service?
(a) That they were going to kill Pascali.
(b) That the Saint was hexed.
(c) Pascali is unwilling to answer Bowles's questions.
(d) That the priest is in on the conspiracy to kill Bowles.
10. What shocking news does Bowles give Pascali?
(a) That Lydia is actually a German government agent.
(b) That the Sultan is dead.
(c) That Germany has occupied Constantinople.
(d) That the Sultan is on his way to being deposed.
11. How does Pascali see Bowles?
(a) As a brilliant archeologist.
(b) As a dreamer and both a victim of his own mind and an exploiter of those ideas.
(c) As a dead man.
(d) As a frustrated writer.
12. What does Bowles' notebook indicate?
(a) That Bowles actually is a geologist.
(b) That Bowles is cousin to the Sultan.
(c) Bowles has completed this same scheme that he is running on Pasha in numerous areas around Asia Minor for many months.
(d) That Bowles works for German SSI.
13. What goes wrong with the meeting?
(a) Izzet does not show.
(b) Bowles does not show.
(c) Bowles brings English soldiers.
(d) Pascali is not there to translate.
14. Why does Bowles want a few more days at the site?
(a) To make his getaway on Smith's boat.
(b) To hide his activities.
(c) To plunder the artifacts more.
(d) To make a few more sketches.
15. What does Pascali know about Izzet and Pasha regarding payment?
(a) They do not know they are being blackmailed.
(b) They do not care if they lose such a small sum of money.
(c) They have no choice but to pay the 700 lira that Bowles demands.
(d) They do not have that much money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pascali close his report?
2. What does Pascali realize that Bowles believes about himself?
3. What does Pascali see as he's walking home through the market?
4. To what does Pascali admit?
5. For what purpose would he do the answer to question #97?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)