|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
2. How long has Pascali been a paid informer?
(a) Almost 13 years.
(b) Nearly 20 years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) A year and a half.
3. Who has recently arrived by boat to the island?
(a) Esmeralda Von Trece.
(b) No one has arrived to this God forsaken place in months.
(c) Anthony Bowles.
(d) The Sultan.
4. What does Pascali tell Bowles he would not be allowed to do even with a lease?
(a) Take away anything from the grounds.
(b) Use any power equipment.
(c) Bring in a crew of more than three workers.
(d) Dig on the grounds of the Sanctuary of Artemis.
5. By whom is Pasha's offer of friendship interrupted?
(a) The local constable.
(b) A rebel leader brought in in handcuffs.
(c) A servant.
(d) The mayor.
6. What does Pascali's salary not allow him?
(a) A trip to the redlight district.
(b) Transportation services.
(c) Fine wines.
(d) Fine cigars.
7. Why does Bowles need translation services?
(a) To ask for a building permit.
(b) To ask for permission to build a horse arena.
(c) To convince Lydia to marry him.
(d) To convince local authorities to give him an access lease to the grounds where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located.
8. How does a lack of the true effects of lighting cause Lydia's painting to look according to Pascali?
(a) It makes landscapes seem nearly like hallucinations.
(b) It gives a pastoral glow to the painting that is unreal.
(c) It causes unnatural shadows.
(d) It distorts perspective.
9. Who is uneasy in Lydia's world?
(a) Pascali and Bowles.
(b) Bowles and Izzet.
(c) Pascali and Izzet.
(d) Pascali and Smith.
10. To whom is Pascali writing?
(a) His wife.
(b) His eldest daughter.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The Sultan in Constantinople.
11. What does Bowles say when asked by Izzet if he has the contract with him?
(a) He says yes but that they cannot have it.
(b) He says no.
(c) He says he has sent it to England.
(d) He says that the contract and receipt are in a safe deposit with instructions to send them to the British Consul in the event of his death.
12. What does Pascali believe about humankind?
(a) That humankind prefers to be kind rather than cruel.
(b) That humankind prefers destruction to balance.
(c) That humankind is neither kind nor human.
(d) That humankind is always wavering on the edge of oblivion.
13. In what areas of Pascali's life is he capable of going both ways (utriusque capex)?
(a) Religion and politics.
(b) Politics and sexuality.
(c) Religion and politics.
(d) Religion and sexuality.
14. What does Pascali believe about the information he gives Bowles in their conversation?
(a) That Pascali has convinced Bowles to rethink his options.
(b) That Bowles is with the rebels.
(c) Pascali believes he is not giving Bowles new information, but simply confirming information.
(d) That Bowles does not really understand the situation.
15. What happens to the statue in the church on festival day?
(a) Statue suddenly falls forward, striking the concrete and beheading itself.
(b) It starts talking.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) It comes alive and starts healing people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pascali follow?
2. What does Pascali realize Smith's business must be?
3. Who is Herr Gesing?
4. Whose name is spoken softly to Pasha?
5. How does Pascali portray Bowles?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)