|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pascali need new glasses?
(a) His are badly scratched.
(b) His are old.
(c) His are broken.
(d) He doesn't like the frame style.
2. How has Mahmoud Pasha been inadvertently contributing to the rebel cause?
(a) Buying up land held by locals for unfair prices.
(b) By seducing so many of the local women.
(c) In enacting harsh laws that make little sense.
(d) Allowing the rebels to use his lands for a low price for supposedly hunting purposes.
3. What do the Turks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Bring spring water from the site to the ill.
(b) Burn an effigy of a phoenix to symbolize rebirth.
(c) Have the ill come and immerse in the water.
(d) Have a yearly festival.
4. What does Pascali believe about humankind?
(a) That humankind is neither kind nor human.
(b) That humankind is always wavering on the edge of oblivion.
(c) That humankind prefers destruction to balance.
(d) That humankind prefers to be kind rather than cruel.
5. How long has Pascali been a paid informer?
(a) Ten years.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Almost 13 years.
(d) Nearly 20 years.
6. Why do the expensive objects in Pasha's home dismay Pascali?
(a) Because many are fake duplicates.
(b) Because the objects have been obtained through suffering and extortion.
(c) Because they are ostentatious.
(d) Because Pascali will never have the like.
7. What does Pascali think is the reason for Bowles' action?
(a) To get rid of evidence of his gluttony.
(b) To make Pascali jealous.
(c) To have a bit of sport for the afternoon.
(d) To search out a good spot for enemy landings.
8. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
(b) The bartender.
(c) The lone polizi on the island.
9. At the opening of this section, how does Pasha feel about himself?
10. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
11. Who does Pascali wonder might be the leak as to his spy activities?
(a) The banker, Pariente.
12. By whom is Pasha's offer of friendship interrupted?
(a) A servant.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The local constable.
(d) A rebel leader brought in in handcuffs.
13. Who is too smart to get caught red-handed?
(c) Smith, the fisherman.
14. When hearing about the Sultan's fears, how does Pascali feel?
(a) Hopeless for his own safety.
(b) Surprised that the home guard is not loyal.
(c) Disbelieving of Lydia's statement.
(d) Disgusted that the Sultan worries so much about disease.
15. In what areas of Pascali's life is he capable of going both ways (utriusque capex)?
(a) Religion and politics.
(b) Religion and politics.
(c) Politics and sexuality.
(d) Religion and sexuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali see about the papers on the desk?
2. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
3. What is the overarching emotion that the newcomer exudes?
4. Who owns the lands where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located?
5. What meetings does Pascali stop attending months ago?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)