|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does Zeki Bey think the rebels obtain money?
2. What does Pascali realize Smith's business must be?
(a) Running drugs.
(b) A slaver.
(c) Guns for the rebels.
(d) A very expensive type of crab.
3. What parallel does Pascali see with his report?
(a) The island.
(b) The almost-erupting volcano.
(c) The rotting empire.
(d) The German trade.
4. What do the Greeks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Burn incense twice a year as a cleansing ritual.
(b) Bring and leave orchids to symbolize rebirth.
(c) Have a monthly festival.
(d) Burn candles at the site to thank the gods.
5. To what does Pascali compare the sea?
(a) To the depths of one's mind that cannot by plumbed.
(b) To humans, tormented and violent.
(c) To the violence of an assassination.
(d) To the waves of fortune.
6. Who said that motion its self is an illusion.
7. What does Pascali think is the reason for Bowles' action?
(a) To search out a good spot for enemy landings.
(b) To have a bit of sport for the afternoon.
(c) To get rid of evidence of his gluttony.
(d) To make Pascali jealous.
8. What is the current environment on the island like?
(b) One of spy activities, broken loyalties, and fears of invasion.
(c) Laidback and peaceful.
(d) Open for new business enterprises.
9. To what predicament do Pascali's thoughts return?
(a) His love for Lydia not being returned.
(b) His need to successfully convince Izzet to lease the grounds to Bowles.
(c) That of his being a spy.
(d) His need for more money.
10. Who is Izzet?
(a) A spy for the native islanders.
(b) Mahmoud Pasha's assistant.
(c) A Greek shipping tycoon.
(d) Lydia's boyfriend.
11. What happens to the statue in the church on festival day?
(a) It starts talking.
(b) It is stolen.
(c) Statue suddenly falls forward, striking the concrete and beheading itself.
(d) It comes alive and starts healing people.
12. In what areas of Pascali's life is he capable of going both ways (utriusque capex)?
(a) Religion and politics.
(b) Religion and sexuality.
(c) Politics and sexuality.
(d) Religion and politics.
13. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
14. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That the volcano is definitely about to spew.
(b) That the newcomer is his half brother he's never met.
(c) That he is about to become very wealthy.
(d) That the villagers know of his spy activities.
15. To whom is Pascali writing?
(a) His eldest daughter.
(b) The Sultan in Constantinople.
(c) His wife.
(d) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
2. What is the Sanctuary of Artemis?
3. What does Pascali realize he loves as he loves the island?
4. What does the crumbling island seem like a metaphor for to Pascali?
5. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)