|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali believe about harmony.
(a) That it works in music but not politics.
(b) That only the dead understand harmony.
(c) That it cannot be attained without discord.
(d) That it is unobtainable.
2. Why does a soldier point a rifle at Bowles?
(a) Because Bowles inadvertently insults the man.q
(b) Because they mistrust foreigners, especially the English.
(c) Because the soldier is incompetent.
(d) Because he thought Bowles threatened Pascali.
3. What could deaths on the island do?
(a) Increase local unrest.
(b) Turn off trade.
(c) Benefit someone as a bargaining tool or negotiation point.
(d) Bring in the Americans.
4. What does Pascali realize he loves as he loves the island?
(a) Grapes and halvah.
(b) Grapes and humus.
(c) Olives and grapes.
(d) Halvah and humus.
5. What is Bowles' reply to Pascali?
(a) He wouldn't dream of using power equipment at such a sacred site.
(b) He does not plan to dig.
(c) He hopes to have a museum at the site eventually and not take anything away.
(d) He is not going to have but one other person helping him.
6. Who has recently arrived by boat to the island?
(a) The Sultan.
(b) Esmeralda Von Trece.
(c) No one has arrived to this God forsaken place in months.
(d) Anthony Bowles.
7. At the opening of this section, how does Pasha feel about himself?
8. What is Pascali's purpose on the island?
(a) To incite the local population to rebel against Germany.
(b) To set up a puppet government in favor of the Turks.
(c) To assassinate the current prime minister.
(d) To monitor the flow of ideas on the island.
9. How long has Pascali been a paid informer?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Almost 13 years.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Nearly 20 years.
10. In what areas of Pascali's life is he capable of going both ways (utriusque capex)?
(a) Politics and sexuality.
(b) Religion and politics.
(c) Religion and politics.
(d) Religion and sexuality.
11. What does Lydia think free expression does?
(a) It makes one think the impossible is possible.
(b) It encourages the irrational.
(c) It encourages imprecision.
(d) It spills over into dangerous areas such as politics.
12. What does Pascali observe Bowles doing?
(a) Throwing food to the gulls.
(b) Crossing over to climb the rocks on the far shore.
(c) Helping Hassan launch his boat.
(d) Holding Lydia's hand.
13. Why does Bowles need translation services?
(a) To convince Lydia to marry him.
(b) To convince local authorities to give him an access lease to the grounds where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located.
(c) To ask for a building permit.
(d) To ask for permission to build a horse arena.
14. Of what does Pascali remind the Sultan?
(a) That rebel forces are increasing.
(b) That his last report was two days late.
(c) That the rebels have all laid down their arms.
(d) That his monthly salary has not increased in 10 years.
15. For what does Pascali blame the Sultan?
(a) For not taking action on any of his previous reports.
(b) For paying him too little.
(c) For telling Pascali he has to come home.
(d) For not stopping the masacre of the Armenians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Herr Gesing?
2. What is the overarching emotion that the newcomer exudes?
3. From where does Zeki Bey think the rebels obtain money?
4. What happens to the statue in the church on festival day?
5. When hearing about the Sultan's fears, how does Pascali feel?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)