|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali see on the shore line as he passes by?
(a) Two men pretending to fight.
(b) Two gulls fighting over a piece of crab.
(c) The fisherman Smith unloading cargo into a small boat.
(d) Lydia and Bowles searching the tide pools.
2. Who is Zeki Bey?
(a) The school headmaster.
(b) The newspaper editor.
(c) The tax collector.
(d) The city mayor.
3. What could deaths on the island do?
(a) Increase local unrest.
(b) Bring in the Americans.
(c) Benefit someone as a bargaining tool or negotiation point.
(d) Turn off trade.
4. Why does Bowles need translation services?
(a) To convince local authorities to give him an access lease to the grounds where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located.
(b) To ask for a building permit.
(c) To convince Lydia to marry him.
(d) To ask for permission to build a horse arena.
5. What does Bowles claim to Pasha that he has found?
(a) Numerous human bones.
(b) An artifact that is from WWI that proves the Germans did occupy this island.
(c) Objects of great historical and monetary value at the site.
(d) A letter indicating that someone else owns the land Bowles is leasing.
6. From where does Zeki Bey think the rebels obtain money?
7. Who said that motion its self is an illusion.
8. What do the Greeks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Have a monthly festival.
(b) Bring and leave orchids to symbolize rebirth.
(c) Burn candles at the site to thank the gods.
(d) Burn incense twice a year as a cleansing ritual.
9. What meetings does Pascali stop attending months ago?
(a) The Commissioners.
(b) The Literary Society.
(c) Veterans of Foreign Wars.
(d) The Cabinet.
10. Of what is Pascali's observation about Hassan a symbol?
(a) For how the offspring is an improvement from the former generation.
(b) Of how intention does not ensure success.
(c) For the type of detail he must avoid giving in his reports.
(d) For how he must throw his reports into the waters of the Sultan's eyes.
11. What does Pascali think is the reason for Bowles' action?
(a) To make Pascali jealous.
(b) To get rid of evidence of his gluttony.
(c) To search out a good spot for enemy landings.
(d) To have a bit of sport for the afternoon.
12. To what does Pascali compare the sea?
(a) To the waves of fortune.
(b) To the depths of one's mind that cannot by plumbed.
(c) To humans, tormented and violent.
(d) To the violence of an assassination.
13. Who is Izzet?
(a) Mahmoud Pasha's assistant.
(b) A Greek shipping tycoon.
(c) A spy for the native islanders.
(d) Lydia's boyfriend.
14. What does Bowles say about any nation who puts self-interest before morality?
(a) That it is smart.
(b) That it is the nature of humans to do so.
(c) That it is headed for disaster.
(d) That it deserves what it gets.
15. How does a lack of the true effects of lighting cause Lydia's painting to look according to Pascali?
(a) It causes unnatural shadows.
(b) It makes landscapes seem nearly like hallucinations.
(c) It distorts perspective.
(d) It gives a pastoral glow to the painting that is unreal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the lands where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located?
2. By whom is Pasha's offer of friendship interrupted?
3. What does Pascali think of what Bowles is saying about finding artifacts at the site?
4. How does Pascali portray Bowles?
5. Who does Pascali follow?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)