|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) Where the Virgin Mary was supposed to have rested following the death of Christ.
(c) A cave set in the hills behind the city.
(d) A small shrine dedicated to the god Artemis.
2. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
(a) Disliking both groups.
(b) Trying to set one against the other.
(c) Trying to maintain peace between the two.
(d) Consorting with both equally.
3. Why won't Russia, Britain, and France take action against the Ottoman empire?
(a) They are too badly outclassed militarily.
(b) None will take action due to their need for trade alliances.
(c) They cannot ally themselves with each other.
(d) They do not believe the reports about the Armenians.
4. What is the motivating factor in Izzet agreeing to meet with Bowles?
5. What two people does Pascali notice out of the window at Pasha's office who seem to be arguing.
(a) Pasha and Lydia.
(b) Herr Gesing and Lydia.
(c) Pasha and Herr Gesing.
(d) Smith and Lydia.
6. What does Politis say to Pascali when they pass on the street?
(a) That Pascali did not say hello to him as he passed on his way to dinner.
(b) That Bowles plans to kill Pascali after the negotiations.
(c) That Bowles is an English spy.
(d) That Pascali had better watch his back.
7. Why do the expensive objects in Pasha's home dismay Pascali?
(a) Because many are fake duplicates.
(b) Because they are ostentatious.
(c) Because the objects have been obtained through suffering and extortion.
(d) Because Pascali will never have the like.
8. Why is Pascali perturbed when he delivers the contract to Bowles?
(a) Bowles does not thank him for his efforts, nor offer to pay him the nominal fee mentioned previously.
(b) Bowles tells Pascali to leave the contract on the porch.
(c) Pascali is now visible with his name on the contract also.
(d) Pascali cannot read some of the fine print.
9. What do the Greeks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Have a monthly festival.
(b) Bring and leave orchids to symbolize rebirth.
(c) Burn candles at the site to thank the gods.
(d) Burn incense twice a year as a cleansing ritual.
10. How has Mahmoud Pasha been inadvertently contributing to the rebel cause?
(a) Buying up land held by locals for unfair prices.
(b) By seducing so many of the local women.
(c) In enacting harsh laws that make little sense.
(d) Allowing the rebels to use his lands for a low price for supposedly hunting purposes.
11. What does Bowles believe Germany should do?
(a) Shoot the Kaiser.
(b) Declare their stance on minorities before developing trade.
(c) Keep their treaty with the Sultan.
(d) Stop being the aggressors in the Balkans.
12. Why is Dranas rude to Pascali?
(a) Because Dranas is rude to everyone.
(b) Because Pascali was first rude to Dranas.
(c) Because Dranas says "we know."
(d) There is no obvious reason.
13. Who is Izzet?
(a) A Greek shipping tycoon.
(b) Lydia's boyfriend.
(c) Mahmoud Pasha's assistant.
(d) A spy for the native islanders.
14. How does Bowles think the British operate trade?
(d) Based upon their ideals.
15. Whose name is spoken softly to Pasha?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pascali think the unity of the Ottoman Empire can be maintained?
2. What does Lydia think free expression does?
3. What is Bowles' reply to Pascali?
4. What does Pascali believe about harmony.
5. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)