|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does Zeki Bey think the rebels obtain money?
2. What does Herr Gesing believe about British trade?
(a) That they are less inept than the Turks.
(b) That they have blundered their way into wealth.
(c) That Britain only opposes politics when it is harming their trade.
(d) That they only rival the Americans.
3. Who is Zeki Bey?
(a) The tax collector.
(b) The school headmaster.
(c) The city mayor.
(d) The newspaper editor.
4. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
(b) The lone polizi on the island.
(c) The bartender.
5. Why does Pascali decide to seek out Lydia?
(a) To see if she will undertake a spy mission for the Sultan.
(b) To seek information, as well as a meal.
(c) To ask her to marry him.
(d) To see if Bowles is with her.
6. Why does Bowles need translation services?
(a) To convince local authorities to give him an access lease to the grounds where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located.
(b) To ask for a building permit.
(c) To ask for permission to build a horse arena.
(d) To convince Lydia to marry him.
7. Why does Pascali need new glasses?
(a) His are broken.
(b) He doesn't like the frame style.
(c) His are old.
(d) His are badly scratched.
8. What could deaths on the island do?
(a) Bring in the Americans.
(b) Benefit someone as a bargaining tool or negotiation point.
(c) Turn off trade.
(d) Increase local unrest.
9. What does Bowles say about any nation who puts self-interest before morality?
(a) That it deserves what it gets.
(b) That it is the nature of humans to do so.
(c) That it is headed for disaster.
(d) That it is smart.
10. Whose name is spoken softly to Pasha?
11. How has Mahmoud Pasha been inadvertently contributing to the rebel cause?
(a) Buying up land held by locals for unfair prices.
(b) By seducing so many of the local women.
(c) In enacting harsh laws that make little sense.
(d) Allowing the rebels to use his lands for a low price for supposedly hunting purposes.
12. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
(b) The Sultan.
13. Why does a soldier point a rifle at Bowles?
(a) Because the soldier is incompetent.
(b) Because Bowles inadvertently insults the man.q
(c) Because they mistrust foreigners, especially the English.
(d) Because he thought Bowles threatened Pascali.
14. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
15. What does Pascali think about him and this recent arrival?
(a) That they are destined never to formally meet.
(b) That they may fall in love.
(c) That they will inevitably kill each other.
(d) That their destinies are intertwined.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dranas rude to Pascali?
2. To whom is Pascali writing?
3. What does Pascali think about the things Lydia does at the dinner table?
4. What does Pascali see about the papers on the desk?
5. What is the current environment on the island like?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)