|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali tell Bowles he would not be allowed to do even with a lease?
(a) Take away anything from the grounds.
(b) Dig on the grounds of the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(c) Bring in a crew of more than three workers.
(d) Use any power equipment.
2. What does Pascali realize he loves as he loves the island?
(a) Olives and grapes.
(b) Grapes and humus.
(c) Halvah and humus.
(d) Grapes and halvah.
3. According to Lydia, what does the Sultan constantly fear?
(a) His home guard.
4. What is the current environment on the island like?
(b) One of spy activities, broken loyalties, and fears of invasion.
(c) Open for new business enterprises.
(d) Laidback and peaceful.
5. For what does Pascali blame the Sultan?
(a) For not stopping the masacre of the Armenians.
(b) For telling Pascali he has to come home.
(c) For paying him too little.
(d) For not taking action on any of his previous reports.
6. To whom is Pascali writing?
(a) His eldest daughter.
(b) The Sultan in Constantinople.
(c) The Pope.
(d) His wife.
7. What is Bowles' reply to Pascali?
(a) He is not going to have but one other person helping him.
(b) He hopes to have a museum at the site eventually and not take anything away.
(c) He does not plan to dig.
(d) He wouldn't dream of using power equipment at such a sacred site.
8. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That the volcano is definitely about to spew.
(b) That the newcomer is his half brother he's never met.
(c) That the villagers know of his spy activities.
(d) That he is about to become very wealthy.
9. What parallel does Pascali see with his report?
(a) The German trade.
(b) The almost-erupting volcano.
(c) The rotting empire.
(d) The island.
10. Who said that motion its self is an illusion.
11. What happens to the statue in the church on festival day?
(a) It is stolen.
(b) Statue suddenly falls forward, striking the concrete and beheading itself.
(c) It comes alive and starts healing people.
(d) It starts talking.
12. Who is Herr Gesing?
(a) A former Nazi.
(b) A German commercial agent.
(c) The cousin to the Sultan through marriage.
(d) The heir to the German beer manufacturer.
13. How does Pascali portray Bowles?
(a) As a wealthy German.
(b) As a world-renowned archeologist.
(c) As a possible spy.
(d) As a naive Englishman.
14. How long has Pascali been a paid informer?
(a) Nearly 20 years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Almost 13 years.
15. What does the crumbling island seem like a metaphor for to Pascali?
(a) The crumbling British empire.
(b) A paradise in hell.
(c) The crumbling Ottoman empire.
(d) The old Roman empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali say he does to his stories?
2. When hearing about the Sultan's fears, how does Pascali feel?
3. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
4. Why does Pascali want to travel to Stambul?
5. Why does a soldier point a rifle at Bowles?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)