|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali say the Sultan needs?
(a) A new direction for the empire.
(b) An annex for his thoughts.
(c) A new chatelaine.
(d) A moral compass.
2. What does Pascali see on the shore line as he passes by?
(a) Lydia and Bowles searching the tide pools.
(b) The fisherman Smith unloading cargo into a small boat.
(c) Two men pretending to fight.
(d) Two gulls fighting over a piece of crab.
3. What does Pascali think about him and this recent arrival?
(a) That they will inevitably kill each other.
(b) That they are destined never to formally meet.
(c) That their destinies are intertwined.
(d) That they may fall in love.
4. What meetings does Pascali stop attending months ago?
(a) Veterans of Foreign Wars.
(b) The Literary Society.
(c) The Cabinet.
(d) The Commissioners.
5. How long has Pascali been a paid informer?
(a) Nearly 20 years.
(b) Almost 13 years.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Ten years.
6. Why is Pascali perturbed when he delivers the contract to Bowles?
(a) Bowles tells Pascali to leave the contract on the porch.
(b) Pascali is now visible with his name on the contract also.
(c) Pascali cannot read some of the fine print.
(d) Bowles does not thank him for his efforts, nor offer to pay him the nominal fee mentioned previously.
7. Of what does Pascali become painfully aware?
(a) That Lydia is no longer interested in Pascali.
(b) That Lydia has many suitors.
(c) That Bowles has stirred her desire.
(d) That Pascali no longer is in the loop for information.
8. What does Pascali believe about humankind?
(a) That humankind is always wavering on the edge of oblivion.
(b) That humankind prefers to be kind rather than cruel.
(c) That humankind prefers destruction to balance.
(d) That humankind is neither kind nor human.
9. Of what is Pascali's observation about Hassan a symbol?
(a) Of how intention does not ensure success.
(b) For how the offspring is an improvement from the former generation.
(c) For how he must throw his reports into the waters of the Sultan's eyes.
(d) For the type of detail he must avoid giving in his reports.
10. What is the current environment on the island like?
(a) Laidback and peaceful.
(b) One of spy activities, broken loyalties, and fears of invasion.
(c) Open for new business enterprises.
11. For how much does Bowles obtain the lease?
(a) Twenty liras.
(b) Two hundred liras.
(c) Fifty liras.
(d) The request for the lease is denied.
12. What is the motivating factor in Izzet agreeing to meet with Bowles?
13. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
14. What does Herr Gesing believe about British trade?
(a) That they only rival the Americans.
(b) That Britain only opposes politics when it is harming their trade.
(c) That they are less inept than the Turks.
(d) That they have blundered their way into wealth.
15. Why is Dranas rude to Pascali?
(a) There is no obvious reason.
(b) Because Pascali was first rude to Dranas.
(c) Because Dranas is rude to everyone.
(d) Because Dranas says "we know."
Short Answer Questions
1. To what predicament do Pascali's thoughts return?
2. What does Pascali tell Bowles he would not be allowed to do even with a lease?
3. To whom is Pascali writing?
4. From where does Zeki Bey think the rebels obtain money?
5. What is the Sanctuary of Artemis?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)