|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Where the Virgin Mary was supposed to have rested following the death of Christ.
(b) A waterfall.
(c) A cave set in the hills behind the city.
(d) A small shrine dedicated to the god Artemis.
2. What does Pascali think when he sees what is happening on the shoreline?
(a) That all around him, the world is preparing for violence.
(b) That Smith is probably unloading guns.
(c) That the gulls are merely imitating humankind.
(d) That Bowles and Lydia are definitely together.
3. At the opening of this section, how does Pasha feel about himself?
4. What is the current environment on the island like?
(a) Laidback and peaceful.
(b) Open for new business enterprises.
(d) One of spy activities, broken loyalties, and fears of invasion.
5. Whose name is spoken softly to Pasha?
6. Who said that motion its self is an illusion.
7. What does Pascali believe about humankind?
(a) That humankind is always wavering on the edge of oblivion.
(b) That humankind prefers destruction to balance.
(c) That humankind prefers to be kind rather than cruel.
(d) That humankind is neither kind nor human.
8. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
(a) The lone polizi on the island.
(d) The bartender.
9. Who is uneasy in Lydia's world?
(a) Bowles and Izzet.
(b) Pascali and Izzet.
(c) Pascali and Smith.
(d) Pascali and Bowles.
10. Who is Zeki Bey?
(a) The newspaper editor.
(b) The city mayor.
(c) The tax collector.
(d) The school headmaster.
11. What is the overarching emotion that the newcomer exudes?
12. Who is Herr Gesing?
(a) The heir to the German beer manufacturer.
(b) The cousin to the Sultan through marriage.
(c) A former Nazi.
(d) A German commercial agent.
13. What does Pascali believe about harmony.
(a) That it cannot be attained without discord.
(b) That it is unobtainable.
(c) That only the dead understand harmony.
(d) That it works in music but not politics.
14. What do the Turks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Have the ill come and immerse in the water.
(b) Burn an effigy of a phoenix to symbolize rebirth.
(c) Bring spring water from the site to the ill.
(d) Have a yearly festival.
15. Who is too smart to get caught red-handed?
(c) Smith, the fisherman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pascali wonder might be the leak as to his spy activities?
2. Of what is Pascali's observation about Hassan a symbol?
3. What does Pascali think he has found?
4. Why does a soldier point a rifle at Bowles?
5. What does Pascali say he does to his stories?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)