|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
2. Who does Pascali wonder might be the leak as to his spy activities?
(c) The banker, Pariente.
3. What does Bowles say when asked by Izzet if he has the contract with him?
(a) He says he has sent it to England.
(b) He says yes but that they cannot have it.
(c) He says no.
(d) He says that the contract and receipt are in a safe deposit with instructions to send them to the British Consul in the event of his death.
4. What is the overarching emotion that the newcomer exudes?
5. What meetings does Pascali stop attending months ago?
(a) The Commissioners.
(b) The Literary Society.
(c) Veterans of Foreign Wars.
(d) The Cabinet.
6. What does Bowles believe Germany should do?
(a) Shoot the Kaiser.
(b) Keep their treaty with the Sultan.
(c) Stop being the aggressors in the Balkans.
(d) Declare their stance on minorities before developing trade.
7. To what predicament do Pascali's thoughts return?
(a) His need to successfully convince Izzet to lease the grounds to Bowles.
(b) His need for more money.
(c) That of his being a spy.
(d) His love for Lydia not being returned.
8. What is the current environment on the island like?
(a) Laidback and peaceful.
(b) Open for new business enterprises.
(c) One of spy activities, broken loyalties, and fears of invasion.
9. What does Pascali think he has found?
(a) A way to gain Lydia's love.
(b) A way to earn a huge sum of money.
(c) A way to get Bowles off the island immediately.
(d) A way to break free of the island.
10. For what does Pascali blame the Sultan?
(a) For paying him too little.
(b) For not stopping the masacre of the Armenians.
(c) For not taking action on any of his previous reports.
(d) For telling Pascali he has to come home.
11. In what areas of Pascali's life is he capable of going both ways (utriusque capex)?
(a) Religion and politics.
(b) Religion and sexuality.
(c) Religion and politics.
(d) Politics and sexuality.
12. How does Pascali think the unity of the Ottoman Empire can be maintained?
(a) Through granting independence to rebellious nations.
(b) Through a heavy military presence in all the countries that make up the Empire.
(c) Through religious conversion.
(d) Unity can only be maintained through non-mobility.
13. What is Bowles' reply to Pascali?
(a) He hopes to have a museum at the site eventually and not take anything away.
(b) He does not plan to dig.
(c) He is not going to have but one other person helping him.
(d) He wouldn't dream of using power equipment at such a sacred site.
14. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
(d) The Sultan.
15. What does Pascali think of what Bowles is saying about finding artifacts at the site?
(a) Pascali thinks Bowles is lying.
(b) Pascali thinks Bowles is hiding something but is not sure what.
(c) Pascali thinks Bowles has made a fantastic find.
(d) Pascali is not really paying attention and has no opinion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sound of bleating sheep mean to Pascali as he is walking?
2. By whom is Pasha's offer of friendship interrupted?
3. What does Bowles say about any nation who puts self-interest before morality?
4. Of what does Pascali become painfully aware?
5. What does the crumbling island seem like a metaphor for to Pascali?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)