|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has recently arrived by boat to the island?
(a) Esmeralda Von Trece.
(b) No one has arrived to this God forsaken place in months.
(c) Anthony Bowles.
(d) The Sultan.
2. What parallel does Pascali see with his report?
(a) The almost-erupting volcano.
(b) The rotting empire.
(c) The island.
(d) The German trade.
3. What does Pascali say the Sultan needs?
(a) An annex for his thoughts.
(b) A moral compass.
(c) A new chatelaine.
(d) A new direction for the empire.
4. For what does Pascali blame the Sultan?
(a) For paying him too little.
(b) For telling Pascali he has to come home.
(c) For not taking action on any of his previous reports.
(d) For not stopping the masacre of the Armenians.
5. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
6. What does Lydia think free expression does?
(a) It encourages the irrational.
(b) It encourages imprecision.
(c) It spills over into dangerous areas such as politics.
(d) It makes one think the impossible is possible.
7. What could deaths on the island do?
(a) Increase local unrest.
(b) Bring in the Americans.
(c) Benefit someone as a bargaining tool or negotiation point.
(d) Turn off trade.
8. Instead of death, with what is Pascali concerned in this section?
(a) With being recalled to Constantinople.
(b) With getting Lydia to marry him.
(c) With finding out the truth about Bowles.
(d) With making enough money to move to Tahiti.
9. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
10. Who is Herr Gesing?
(a) The heir to the German beer manufacturer.
(b) A German commercial agent.
(c) The cousin to the Sultan through marriage.
(d) A former Nazi.
11. What does Pascali realize he loves as he loves the island?
(a) Grapes and humus.
(b) Olives and grapes.
(c) Grapes and halvah.
(d) Halvah and humus.
12. What is the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) A cave set in the hills behind the city.
(b) A waterfall.
(c) Where the Virgin Mary was supposed to have rested following the death of Christ.
(d) A small shrine dedicated to the god Artemis.
13. How does Bowles think the British operate trade?
(d) Based upon their ideals.
14. What does Pascali see on the shore line as he passes by?
(a) Lydia and Bowles searching the tide pools.
(b) The fisherman Smith unloading cargo into a small boat.
(c) Two men pretending to fight.
(d) Two gulls fighting over a piece of crab.
15. What does Herr Gesing believe about British trade?
(a) That they only rival the Americans.
(b) That they are less inept than the Turks.
(c) That Britain only opposes politics when it is harming their trade.
(d) That they have blundered their way into wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali think he has found?
2. What does Bowles believe Germany should do?
3. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
4. What does Pascali think when he sees what is happening on the shoreline?
5. For how much does Bowles obtain the lease?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)