|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pascali think the unity of the Ottoman Empire can be maintained?
(a) Unity can only be maintained through non-mobility.
(b) Through a heavy military presence in all the countries that make up the Empire.
(c) Through granting independence to rebellious nations.
(d) Through religious conversion.
2. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That the volcano is definitely about to spew.
(b) That he is about to become very wealthy.
(c) That the newcomer is his half brother he's never met.
(d) That the villagers know of his spy activities.
3. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
4. What does Pascali's salary not allow him?
(a) Transportation services.
(b) A trip to the redlight district.
(c) Fine cigars.
(d) Fine wines.
5. What meetings does Pascali stop attending months ago?
(a) The Literary Society.
(b) The Commissioners.
(c) The Cabinet.
(d) Veterans of Foreign Wars.
6. In what areas of Pascali's life is he capable of going both ways (utriusque capex)?
(a) Religion and politics.
(b) Religion and politics.
(c) Politics and sexuality.
(d) Religion and sexuality.
7. Who does Pascali follow?
(a) No one.
(b) Lydia and Bowles.
(c) Lydia and Izzet.
(d) Smith and Lydia.
8. What does Bowles claim to Pasha that he has found?
(a) A letter indicating that someone else owns the land Bowles is leasing.
(b) An artifact that is from WWI that proves the Germans did occupy this island.
(c) Objects of great historical and monetary value at the site.
(d) Numerous human bones.
9. What does Pascali believe about humankind?
(a) That humankind prefers destruction to balance.
(b) That humankind is always wavering on the edge of oblivion.
(c) That humankind is neither kind nor human.
(d) That humankind prefers to be kind rather than cruel.
10. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
11. When hearing about the Sultan's fears, how does Pascali feel?
(a) Hopeless for his own safety.
(b) Disgusted that the Sultan worries so much about disease.
(c) Disbelieving of Lydia's statement.
(d) Surprised that the home guard is not loyal.
12. Who has recently arrived by boat to the island?
(a) No one has arrived to this God forsaken place in months.
(b) Anthony Bowles.
(c) Esmeralda Von Trece.
(d) The Sultan.
13. What does Pascali think when he sees what is happening on the shoreline?
(a) That all around him, the world is preparing for violence.
(b) That the gulls are merely imitating humankind.
(c) That Smith is probably unloading guns.
(d) That Bowles and Lydia are definitely together.
14. Of what does Pascali warn the Sultan?
(a) That the island will likely attempt to get out from under Turkish rule.
(b) That the volcano will blow soon.
(c) A possible assassination attempt in the near future.
(d) That he has watched the Empire slowly deteriorate.
15. Of what is the Ottoman empire comprised?
(a) Of multiple races, creed, and languages that have united under the Ottoman State.
(b) Mostly Arab nations.
(c) Many disparate but loyal groups.
(d) An fairly homogenous group of peoples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parallel does Pascali see with his report?
2. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
3. Of what does Pascali remind the Sultan?
4. What happens to the statue in the church on festival day?
5. What do Lydia and Pascali talk about concerning the boats?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)