|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how much does Bowles obtain the lease?
(a) The request for the lease is denied.
(b) Two hundred liras.
(c) Fifty liras.
(d) Twenty liras.
2. Instead of death, with what is Pascali concerned in this section?
(a) With finding out the truth about Bowles.
(b) With making enough money to move to Tahiti.
(c) With being recalled to Constantinople.
(d) With getting Lydia to marry him.
3. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
(c) The Sultan.
4. In what areas of Pascali's life is he capable of going both ways (utriusque capex)?
(a) Religion and sexuality.
(b) Politics and sexuality.
(c) Religion and politics.
(d) Religion and politics.
5. What does Pascali think of what Bowles is saying about finding artifacts at the site?
(a) Pascali is not really paying attention and has no opinion.
(b) Pascali thinks Bowles has made a fantastic find.
(c) Pascali thinks Bowles is lying.
(d) Pascali thinks Bowles is hiding something but is not sure what.
6. What do Lydia and Pascali talk about concerning the boats?
(a) The manufacturing of so many new boats.
(b) The way the boats seem to be changing hands.
(c) The sinking of two boats this week.
(d) The boats' boarding by the garrison.
7. Of what does Pascali become painfully aware?
(a) That Lydia is no longer interested in Pascali.
(b) That Bowles has stirred her desire.
(c) That Pascali no longer is in the loop for information.
(d) That Lydia has many suitors.
8. Why does Bowles need translation services?
(a) To convince local authorities to give him an access lease to the grounds where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located.
(b) To ask for a building permit.
(c) To ask for permission to build a horse arena.
(d) To convince Lydia to marry him.
9. Who seems surprised at the number of objects within the room?
10. What is the motivating factor in Izzet agreeing to meet with Bowles?
11. Of what is Pascali's observation about Hassan a symbol?
(a) For how he must throw his reports into the waters of the Sultan's eyes.
(b) Of how intention does not ensure success.
(c) For the type of detail he must avoid giving in his reports.
(d) For how the offspring is an improvement from the former generation.
12. Of what is the Ottoman empire comprised?
(a) Mostly Arab nations.
(b) Of multiple races, creed, and languages that have united under the Ottoman State.
(c) Many disparate but loyal groups.
(d) An fairly homogenous group of peoples.
13. For what does Pascali blame the Sultan?
(a) For not taking action on any of his previous reports.
(b) For paying him too little.
(c) For not stopping the masacre of the Armenians.
(d) For telling Pascali he has to come home.
14. What does Pascali tell Bowles he would not be allowed to do even with a lease?
(a) Dig on the grounds of the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(b) Take away anything from the grounds.
(c) Bring in a crew of more than three workers.
(d) Use any power equipment.
15. Where do Pascali and Marchant go?
(a) To the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(b) To the mainland.
(c) To the church to witness the festival.
(d) To Pascali's apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Pascali compare the sea?
2. According to Lydia, what does the Sultan constantly fear?
3. What is the Sanctuary of Artemis?
4. At the opening of this section, how does Pasha feel about himself?
5. What does Pascali believe about the information he gives Bowles in their conversation?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)