|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali say he does to his stories?
(a) Fabricates them entirely.
(b) Writes them exactly as they happen.
(c) Embellishes them.
(d) Gives as little detail as possible.
2. What does Bowles say when asked by Izzet if he has the contract with him?
(a) He says he has sent it to England.
(b) He says yes but that they cannot have it.
(c) He says that the contract and receipt are in a safe deposit with instructions to send them to the British Consul in the event of his death.
(d) He says no.
3. Why does Pascali need new glasses?
(a) His are old.
(b) He doesn't like the frame style.
(c) His are badly scratched.
(d) His are broken.
4. What does Pascali say the Sultan needs?
(a) A moral compass.
(b) An annex for his thoughts.
(c) A new chatelaine.
(d) A new direction for the empire.
5. What does Pascali believe about harmony.
(a) That it is unobtainable.
(b) That it cannot be attained without discord.
(c) That only the dead understand harmony.
(d) That it works in music but not politics.
6. Of what does Izzet warn Pascali?
(a) That Pascali must supervise Bowles's access.
(b) That the contract will not be in force until they receive the rest of the money.
(c) That Pascali will be held personally responsible for the remaining money owed to Pasha.
(d) That Bowles will be arrested if he violates any of the contract.
7. Why does a soldier point a rifle at Bowles?
(a) Because he thought Bowles threatened Pascali.
(b) Because the soldier is incompetent.
(c) Because they mistrust foreigners, especially the English.
(d) Because Bowles inadvertently insults the man.q
8. What do Lydia and Pascali talk about concerning the boats?
(a) The manufacturing of so many new boats.
(b) The boats' boarding by the garrison.
(c) The way the boats seem to be changing hands.
(d) The sinking of two boats this week.
9. Of what does Pascali remind the Sultan?
(a) That his monthly salary has not increased in 10 years.
(b) That the rebels have all laid down their arms.
(c) That his last report was two days late.
(d) That rebel forces are increasing.
10. What does Lydia think free expression does?
(a) It encourages the irrational.
(b) It makes one think the impossible is possible.
(c) It encourages imprecision.
(d) It spills over into dangerous areas such as politics.
11. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
(a) The Sultan.
12. Why won't Russia, Britain, and France take action against the Ottoman empire?
(a) They do not believe the reports about the Armenians.
(b) They cannot ally themselves with each other.
(c) They are too badly outclassed militarily.
(d) None will take action due to their need for trade alliances.
13. Who is too smart to get caught red-handed?
(c) Smith, the fisherman.
14. What does Pascali's salary not allow him?
(a) Fine cigars.
(b) Fine wines.
(c) A trip to the redlight district.
(d) Transportation services.
15. To whom is Pascali writing?
(a) His wife.
(b) The Sultan in Constantinople.
(c) The Pope.
(d) His eldest daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lydia, what does the Sultan constantly fear?
2. What is the overarching emotion that the newcomer exudes?
3. What do the Greeks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
4. Of what is the Ottoman empire comprised?
5. What does Pascali think he has found?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)