|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
(b) The lone polizi on the island.
(d) The bartender.
2. Who is Herr Gesing?
(a) The cousin to the Sultan through marriage.
(b) A German commercial agent.
(c) A former Nazi.
(d) The heir to the German beer manufacturer.
3. Of what is Pascali's observation about Hassan a symbol?
(a) Of how intention does not ensure success.
(b) For how he must throw his reports into the waters of the Sultan's eyes.
(c) For how the offspring is an improvement from the former generation.
(d) For the type of detail he must avoid giving in his reports.
4. What does Pascali's salary not allow him?
(a) Fine wines.
(b) A trip to the redlight district.
(c) Transportation services.
(d) Fine cigars.
5. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
6. What does Bowles claim to Pasha that he has found?
(a) A letter indicating that someone else owns the land Bowles is leasing.
(b) Numerous human bones.
(c) Objects of great historical and monetary value at the site.
(d) An artifact that is from WWI that proves the Germans did occupy this island.
7. How long has Pascali been a paid informer?
(a) Nearly 20 years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Almost 13 years.
8. Who is Zeki Bey?
(a) The school headmaster.
(b) The newspaper editor.
(c) The tax collector.
(d) The city mayor.
9. What do the Greeks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Burn incense twice a year as a cleansing ritual.
(b) Have a monthly festival.
(c) Burn candles at the site to thank the gods.
(d) Bring and leave orchids to symbolize rebirth.
10. What does Pascali see on the shore line as he passes by?
(a) Lydia and Bowles searching the tide pools.
(b) Two gulls fighting over a piece of crab.
(c) Two men pretending to fight.
(d) The fisherman Smith unloading cargo into a small boat.
11. What does Pascali tell Bowles he would not be allowed to do even with a lease?
(a) Bring in a crew of more than three workers.
(b) Take away anything from the grounds.
(c) Dig on the grounds of the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(d) Use any power equipment.
12. What does Bowles say about any nation who puts self-interest before morality?
(a) That it is smart.
(b) That it deserves what it gets.
(c) That it is the nature of humans to do so.
(d) That it is headed for disaster.
13. Who does Pascali wonder might be the leak as to his spy activities?
(a) The banker, Pariente.
14. Why does Bowles need translation services?
(a) To ask for permission to build a horse arena.
(b) To convince local authorities to give him an access lease to the grounds where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located.
(c) To convince Lydia to marry him.
(d) To ask for a building permit.
15. Of what does Izzet warn Pascali?
(a) That Pascali will be held personally responsible for the remaining money owed to Pasha.
(b) That Bowles will be arrested if he violates any of the contract.
(c) That the contract will not be in force until they receive the rest of the money.
(d) That Pascali must supervise Bowles's access.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parallel does Pascali see with his report?
2. What does Bowles say when asked by Izzet if he has the contract with him?
3. To whom is Pascali writing?
4. Where do Pascali and Marchant go?
5. At the opening of this section, how does Pasha feel about himself?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)