|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali think he has found?
(a) A way to earn a huge sum of money.
(b) A way to get Bowles off the island immediately.
(c) A way to break free of the island.
(d) A way to gain Lydia's love.
2. To what does Pascali compare the sea?
(a) To humans, tormented and violent.
(b) To the waves of fortune.
(c) To the violence of an assassination.
(d) To the depths of one's mind that cannot by plumbed.
3. How does Pascali portray Bowles?
(a) As a naive Englishman.
(b) As a wealthy German.
(c) As a possible spy.
(d) As a world-renowned archeologist.
4. Why do the expensive objects in Pasha's home dismay Pascali?
(a) Because they are ostentatious.
(b) Because many are fake duplicates.
(c) Because Pascali will never have the like.
(d) Because the objects have been obtained through suffering and extortion.
5. Where do Pascali and Marchant go?
(a) To the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(b) To the mainland.
(c) To the church to witness the festival.
(d) To Pascali's apartment.
6. For how much does Bowles obtain the lease?
(a) Two hundred liras.
(b) Twenty liras.
(c) The request for the lease is denied.
(d) Fifty liras.
7. What does Pascali say the Sultan needs?
(a) A new chatelaine.
(b) An annex for his thoughts.
(c) A new direction for the empire.
(d) A moral compass.
8. What two people does Pascali notice out of the window at Pasha's office who seem to be arguing.
(a) Smith and Lydia.
(b) Herr Gesing and Lydia.
(c) Pasha and Lydia.
(d) Pasha and Herr Gesing.
9. How long has Pascali been a paid informer?
(a) Ten years.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Nearly 20 years.
(d) Almost 13 years.
10. What does Pascali say he does to his stories?
(a) Gives as little detail as possible.
(b) Embellishes them.
(c) Writes them exactly as they happen.
(d) Fabricates them entirely.
11. To whom is Pascali writing?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Sultan in Constantinople.
(c) His wife.
(d) His eldest daughter.
12. What does Pascali believe about humankind?
(a) That humankind prefers to be kind rather than cruel.
(b) That humankind prefers destruction to balance.
(c) That humankind is neither kind nor human.
(d) That humankind is always wavering on the edge of oblivion.
13. What does Pascali realize Smith's business must be?
(a) A slaver.
(b) A very expensive type of crab.
(c) Guns for the rebels.
(d) Running drugs.
14. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That he is about to become very wealthy.
(b) That the volcano is definitely about to spew.
(c) That the villagers know of his spy activities.
(d) That the newcomer is his half brother he's never met.
15. What does Bowles claim to Pasha that he has found?
(a) A letter indicating that someone else owns the land Bowles is leasing.
(b) An artifact that is from WWI that proves the Germans did occupy this island.
(c) Numerous human bones.
(d) Objects of great historical and monetary value at the site.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom is Pasha's offer of friendship interrupted?
2. Of what does Pascali warn the Sultan?
3. Of what is Pascali's observation about Hassan a symbol?
4. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
5. How does Pascali think the unity of the Ottoman Empire can be maintained?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)