|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pascali's purpose on the island?
(a) To assassinate the current prime minister.
(b) To monitor the flow of ideas on the island.
(c) To incite the local population to rebel against Germany.
(d) To set up a puppet government in favor of the Turks.
2. How does a lack of the true effects of lighting cause Lydia's painting to look according to Pascali?
(a) It causes unnatural shadows.
(b) It gives a pastoral glow to the painting that is unreal.
(c) It distorts perspective.
(d) It makes landscapes seem nearly like hallucinations.
3. What happens to the statue in the church on festival day?
(a) It is stolen.
(b) Statue suddenly falls forward, striking the concrete and beheading itself.
(c) It starts talking.
(d) It comes alive and starts healing people.
4. What parallel does Pascali see with his report?
(a) The island.
(b) The almost-erupting volcano.
(c) The German trade.
(d) The rotting empire.
5. Who has recently arrived by boat to the island?
(a) The Sultan.
(b) Esmeralda Von Trece.
(c) No one has arrived to this God forsaken place in months.
(d) Anthony Bowles.
6. When hearing about the Sultan's fears, how does Pascali feel?
(a) Hopeless for his own safety.
(b) Disbelieving of Lydia's statement.
(c) Disgusted that the Sultan worries so much about disease.
(d) Surprised that the home guard is not loyal.
7. How does Bowles think the British operate trade?
(d) Based upon their ideals.
8. Who seems surprised at the number of objects within the room?
9. To what does Pascali compare the sea?
(a) To the violence of an assassination.
(b) To the depths of one's mind that cannot by plumbed.
(c) To the waves of fortune.
(d) To humans, tormented and violent.
10. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
(a) Trying to maintain peace between the two.
(b) Trying to set one against the other.
(c) Consorting with both equally.
(d) Disliking both groups.
11. What does Pascali think is the reason for Bowles' action?
(a) To search out a good spot for enemy landings.
(b) To have a bit of sport for the afternoon.
(c) To get rid of evidence of his gluttony.
(d) To make Pascali jealous.
12. What does Lydia notice that delights Pascali?
(a) That he is looking fit.
(b) That his haircut is handsome.
(c) That he is losing weight.
(d) That his new suit is becoming.
13. Who is uneasy in Lydia's world?
(a) Pascali and Izzet.
(b) Pascali and Smith.
(c) Bowles and Izzet.
(d) Pascali and Bowles.
14. At the opening of this section, how does Pasha feel about himself?
15. What does Pascali see about the papers on the desk?
(a) He finds a reference from a Germany company, Mannfeldt, and a map marked in red that includes the area Bowles is researching with the words "terra rossa."
(b) There is a letter from the Sultan.
(c) A bank draft from the Ottoman National Bank.
(d) Two letters addressed to Bowles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pascali observe Bowles doing?
2. What does Pascali see on the shore line as he passes by?
3. What two people does Pascali notice out of the window at Pasha's office who seem to be arguing.
4. What do the Greeks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
5. What does Pascali realize he loves as he loves the island?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)