|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose name is spoken softly to Pasha?
2. What does Pascali think is the reason for Bowles' action?
(a) To make Pascali jealous.
(b) To have a bit of sport for the afternoon.
(c) To get rid of evidence of his gluttony.
(d) To search out a good spot for enemy landings.
3. Who seems surprised at the number of objects within the room?
4. Why does a soldier point a rifle at Bowles?
(a) Because he thought Bowles threatened Pascali.
(b) Because they mistrust foreigners, especially the English.
(c) Because Bowles inadvertently insults the man.q
(d) Because the soldier is incompetent.
5. What does Herr Gesing believe about British trade?
(a) That they have blundered their way into wealth.
(b) That they only rival the Americans.
(c) That they are less inept than the Turks.
(d) That Britain only opposes politics when it is harming their trade.
6. What does Pascali note about the fisherman Hassan?
(a) That he goes to secret meetings every Tuesday.
(b) That he throws his fishing net perfectly into the water.
(c) That his daughter is very attractive.
(d) That he seldom brings back a full boat.
7. What does Pascali believe about the information he gives Bowles in their conversation?
(a) That Bowles is with the rebels.
(b) That Pascali has convinced Bowles to rethink his options.
(c) Pascali believes he is not giving Bowles new information, but simply confirming information.
(d) That Bowles does not really understand the situation.
8. What does Pascali say the Sultan needs?
(a) A new direction for the empire.
(b) A new chatelaine.
(c) An annex for his thoughts.
(d) A moral compass.
9. What does Pascali see about the papers on the desk?
(a) Two letters addressed to Bowles.
(b) There is a letter from the Sultan.
(c) He finds a reference from a Germany company, Mannfeldt, and a map marked in red that includes the area Bowles is researching with the words "terra rossa."
(d) A bank draft from the Ottoman National Bank.
10. What does Bowles claim to Pasha that he has found?
(a) Numerous human bones.
(b) Objects of great historical and monetary value at the site.
(c) An artifact that is from WWI that proves the Germans did occupy this island.
(d) A letter indicating that someone else owns the land Bowles is leasing.
11. Why do the expensive objects in Pasha's home dismay Pascali?
(a) Because many are fake duplicates.
(b) Because the objects have been obtained through suffering and extortion.
(c) Because Pascali will never have the like.
(d) Because they are ostentatious.
12. What does Pascali think about the things Lydia does at the dinner table?
(a) It's all to impress Bowles.
(b) It's full of faux paus.
(c) That she is erratically inept.
(d) That it is immaculately well mannered.
13. What does Pascali's salary not allow him?
(a) Fine wines.
(b) A trip to the redlight district.
(c) Transportation services.
(d) Fine cigars.
14. Why does Pascali want to travel to Stambul?
(a) Because he's never seen the place before.
(b) To seek out Mehmet Bey.
(c) To throw himself on the mercy of the Sultan.
(d) To get off the island and onto firm land.
15. Who has recently arrived by boat to the island?
(a) Anthony Bowles.
(b) No one has arrived to this God forsaken place in months.
(c) Esmeralda Von Trece.
(d) The Sultan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
2. Where do Pascali and Marchant go?
3. What parallel does Pascali see with his report?
4. What does Pascali realize he loves as he loves the island?
5. What does Pascali tell Bowles he would not be allowed to do even with a lease?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)