|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lydia, what does the Sultan constantly fear?
(a) His home guard.
2. What happens to the statue in the church on festival day?
(a) It comes alive and starts healing people.
(b) It is stolen.
(c) Statue suddenly falls forward, striking the concrete and beheading itself.
(d) It starts talking.
3. Who has recently arrived by boat to the island?
(a) The Sultan.
(b) Anthony Bowles.
(c) Esmeralda Von Trece.
(d) No one has arrived to this God forsaken place in months.
4. Who does Pascali wonder might be the leak as to his spy activities?
(d) The banker, Pariente.
5. Who is Herr Gesing?
(a) A former Nazi.
(b) A German commercial agent.
(c) The heir to the German beer manufacturer.
(d) The cousin to the Sultan through marriage.
6. What does Pascali think he has found?
(a) A way to gain Lydia's love.
(b) A way to get Bowles off the island immediately.
(c) A way to earn a huge sum of money.
(d) A way to break free of the island.
7. Why does a soldier point a rifle at Bowles?
(a) Because they mistrust foreigners, especially the English.
(b) Because the soldier is incompetent.
(c) Because he thought Bowles threatened Pascali.
(d) Because Bowles inadvertently insults the man.q
8. Why is Dranas rude to Pascali?
(a) Because Pascali was first rude to Dranas.
(b) There is no obvious reason.
(c) Because Dranas says "we know."
(d) Because Dranas is rude to everyone.
9. What does the sound of bleating sheep mean to Pascali as he is walking?
(a) He knows they are being herded to the rebels for food.
(b) He remembers the phrase, "the Lion will lie down with the lamb," from his childhood.
(c) It reminds him of his childhood.
(d) He knows they will soon be slaughtered for the Sacrifice Festival.
10. What does Pascali think when he sees what is happening on the shoreline?
(a) That the gulls are merely imitating humankind.
(b) That all around him, the world is preparing for violence.
(c) That Smith is probably unloading guns.
(d) That Bowles and Lydia are definitely together.
11. What does Pascali realize Smith's business must be?
(a) Running drugs.
(b) A slaver.
(c) A very expensive type of crab.
(d) Guns for the rebels.
12. For what does Pascali blame the Sultan?
(a) For not taking action on any of his previous reports.
(b) For paying him too little.
(c) For not stopping the masacre of the Armenians.
(d) For telling Pascali he has to come home.
13. With whom does Pascali notice Bowles having a growing relationship?
(a) The lone polizi on the island.
(c) The bartender.
14. What is the motivating factor in Izzet agreeing to meet with Bowles?
15. Why does Pascali need new glasses?
(a) He doesn't like the frame style.
(b) His are broken.
(c) His are badly scratched.
(d) His are old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Izzet warn Pascali?
2. What does Bowles say about any nation who puts self-interest before morality?
3. What does Pascali realize he loves as he loves the island?
4. What does Pascali believe about the information he gives Bowles in their conversation?
5. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)