|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali note about the fisherman Hassan?
(a) That his daughter is very attractive.
(b) That he goes to secret meetings every Tuesday.
(c) That he seldom brings back a full boat.
(d) That he throws his fishing net perfectly into the water.
2. How does Bowles think the British operate trade?
(a) Based upon their ideals.
3. When hearing about the Sultan's fears, how does Pascali feel?
(a) Disbelieving of Lydia's statement.
(b) Hopeless for his own safety.
(c) Surprised that the home guard is not loyal.
(d) Disgusted that the Sultan worries so much about disease.
4. What does Bowles say when asked by Izzet if he has the contract with him?
(a) He says he has sent it to England.
(b) He says yes but that they cannot have it.
(c) He says that the contract and receipt are in a safe deposit with instructions to send them to the British Consul in the event of his death.
(d) He says no.
5. What does Pascali believe about humankind?
(a) That humankind is always wavering on the edge of oblivion.
(b) That humankind prefers destruction to balance.
(c) That humankind is neither kind nor human.
(d) That humankind prefers to be kind rather than cruel.
6. What could deaths on the island do?
(a) Increase local unrest.
(b) Turn off trade.
(c) Benefit someone as a bargaining tool or negotiation point.
(d) Bring in the Americans.
7. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
(a) Trying to set one against the other.
(b) Disliking both groups.
(c) Trying to maintain peace between the two.
(d) Consorting with both equally.
8. Why does Pascali need new glasses?
(a) He doesn't like the frame style.
(b) His are broken.
(c) His are badly scratched.
(d) His are old.
9. Of what does Pascali warn the Sultan?
(a) That the volcano will blow soon.
(b) That he has watched the Empire slowly deteriorate.
(c) A possible assassination attempt in the near future.
(d) That the island will likely attempt to get out from under Turkish rule.
10. What meetings does Pascali stop attending months ago?
(a) The Cabinet.
(b) Veterans of Foreign Wars.
(c) The Commissioners.
(d) The Literary Society.
11. How has Pascali betrayed himself as a spy unintentionally?
(a) By his copious letters to the Sultan.
(b) Through his multiple attempts to gain information.
(c) He does not know how.
(d) Through his coded advertisements on the town board.
12. Why does Bowles need translation services?
(a) To ask for permission to build a horse arena.
(b) To convince Lydia to marry him.
(c) To ask for a building permit.
(d) To convince local authorities to give him an access lease to the grounds where the Sanctuary of Artemis is located.
13. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
14. What does Pascali observe Bowles doing?
(a) Holding Lydia's hand.
(b) Throwing food to the gulls.
(c) Crossing over to climb the rocks on the far shore.
(d) Helping Hassan launch his boat.
15. Who is Zeki Bey?
(a) The city mayor.
(b) The newspaper editor.
(c) The school headmaster.
(d) The tax collector.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Zeki Bey think the rebels obtain money?
2. What does Pascali believe about harmony.
3. What does Herr Gesing believe about British trade?
4. What does Pascali realize Smith's business must be?
5. Who does Pascali wonder might be the leak as to his spy activities?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)