|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bowles' reply to Pascali?
(a) He is not going to have but one other person helping him.
(b) He does not plan to dig.
(c) He wouldn't dream of using power equipment at such a sacred site.
(d) He hopes to have a museum at the site eventually and not take anything away.
2. What does Pascali tell Bowles he would not be allowed to do even with a lease?
(a) Take away anything from the grounds.
(b) Use any power equipment.
(c) Bring in a crew of more than three workers.
(d) Dig on the grounds of the Sanctuary of Artemis.
3. How has Mahmoud Pasha been inadvertently contributing to the rebel cause?
(a) In enacting harsh laws that make little sense.
(b) By seducing so many of the local women.
(c) Buying up land held by locals for unfair prices.
(d) Allowing the rebels to use his lands for a low price for supposedly hunting purposes.
4. What does Pascali see about the papers on the desk?
(a) There is a letter from the Sultan.
(b) Two letters addressed to Bowles.
(c) He finds a reference from a Germany company, Mannfeldt, and a map marked in red that includes the area Bowles is researching with the words "terra rossa."
(d) A bank draft from the Ottoman National Bank.
5. Who needs Pascali's translation services?
(a) The Sultan.
6. What does Pascali's salary not allow him?
(a) A trip to the redlight district.
(b) Fine wines.
(c) Fine cigars.
(d) Transportation services.
7. What does Herr Gesing believe about British trade?
(a) That they are less inept than the Turks.
(b) That Britain only opposes politics when it is harming their trade.
(c) That they only rival the Americans.
(d) That they have blundered their way into wealth.
8. Where do Pascali and Marchant go?
(a) To the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(b) To the church to witness the festival.
(c) To Pascali's apartment.
(d) To the mainland.
9. What does Pascali think of what Bowles is saying about finding artifacts at the site?
(a) Pascali thinks Bowles is lying.
(b) Pascali thinks Bowles is hiding something but is not sure what.
(c) Pascali is not really paying attention and has no opinion.
(d) Pascali thinks Bowles has made a fantastic find.
10. Who is Zeki Bey?
(a) The school headmaster.
(b) The city mayor.
(c) The newspaper editor.
(d) The tax collector.
11. What do the Greeks do at the Sanctuary of Artemis?
(a) Burn candles at the site to thank the gods.
(b) Burn incense twice a year as a cleansing ritual.
(c) Bring and leave orchids to symbolize rebirth.
(d) Have a monthly festival.
12. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
13. Why does Pascali need new glasses?
(a) His are badly scratched.
(b) His are broken.
(c) His are old.
(d) He doesn't like the frame style.
14. What could deaths on the island do?
(a) Bring in the Americans.
(b) Turn off trade.
(c) Benefit someone as a bargaining tool or negotiation point.
(d) Increase local unrest.
15. To what does he admit concerning the Turks and Greeks?
(a) Disliking both groups.
(b) Consorting with both equally.
(c) Trying to set one against the other.
(d) Trying to maintain peace between the two.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Izzet warn Pascali?
2. What does Pascali think about him and this recent arrival?
3. What does Politis say to Pascali when they pass on the street?
4. What does Lydia notice that delights Pascali?
5. Who is Herr Gesing?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)