|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems surprised at the number of objects within the room?
2. For how much does Bowles obtain the lease?
(a) The request for the lease is denied.
(b) Fifty liras.
(c) Two hundred liras.
(d) Twenty liras.
3. Who is Zeki Bey?
(a) The school headmaster.
(b) The newspaper editor.
(c) The tax collector.
(d) The city mayor.
4. What could deaths on the island do?
(a) Turn off trade.
(b) Bring in the Americans.
(c) Increase local unrest.
(d) Benefit someone as a bargaining tool or negotiation point.
5. Who does Pascali wonder might be the leak as to his spy activities?
(c) The banker, Pariente.
6. What does the sound of bleating sheep mean to Pascali as he is walking?
(a) He knows they will soon be slaughtered for the Sacrifice Festival.
(b) He remembers the phrase, "the Lion will lie down with the lamb," from his childhood.
(c) He knows they are being herded to the rebels for food.
(d) It reminds him of his childhood.
7. Where do Pascali and Marchant go?
(a) To the Sanctuary of Artemis.
(b) To Pascali's apartment.
(c) To the mainland.
(d) To the church to witness the festival.
8. What does Pascali believe about the information he gives Bowles in their conversation?
(a) That Bowles is with the rebels.
(b) That Pascali has convinced Bowles to rethink his options.
(c) Pascali believes he is not giving Bowles new information, but simply confirming information.
(d) That Bowles does not really understand the situation.
9. Why does a soldier point a rifle at Bowles?
(a) Because Bowles inadvertently insults the man.q
(b) Because he thought Bowles threatened Pascali.
(c) Because they mistrust foreigners, especially the English.
(d) Because the soldier is incompetent.
10. Why won't Russia, Britain, and France take action against the Ottoman empire?
(a) They are too badly outclassed militarily.
(b) They cannot ally themselves with each other.
(c) They do not believe the reports about the Armenians.
(d) None will take action due to their need for trade alliances.
11. What is Bowles' reply to Pascali?
(a) He is not going to have but one other person helping him.
(b) He does not plan to dig.
(c) He hopes to have a museum at the site eventually and not take anything away.
(d) He wouldn't dream of using power equipment at such a sacred site.
12. What does Politis say to Pascali when they pass on the street?
(a) That Pascali had better watch his back.
(b) That Pascali did not say hello to him as he passed on his way to dinner.
(c) That Bowles plans to kill Pascali after the negotiations.
(d) That Bowles is an English spy.
13. According to Lydia, what does the Sultan constantly fear?
(c) His home guard.
14. What is the motivating factor in Izzet agreeing to meet with Bowles?
15. Of what is Pascali now convinced?
(a) That the volcano is definitely about to spew.
(b) That the villagers know of his spy activities.
(c) That he is about to become very wealthy.
(d) That the newcomer is his half brother he's never met.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Pascali blame the Sultan?
2. What does Bowles say when asked by Izzet if he has the contract with him?
3. Why is Dranas rude to Pascali?
4. Who said that motion its self is an illusion.
5. What does Pascali observe Bowles doing?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)