|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pascali realize he loves as he loves the island?
(a) Grapes and halvah.
(b) Halvah and humus.
(c) Grapes and humus.
(d) Olives and grapes.
2. Of what is the Ottoman empire comprised?
(a) Many disparate but loyal groups.
(b) Of multiple races, creed, and languages that have united under the Ottoman State.
(c) Mostly Arab nations.
(d) An fairly homogenous group of peoples.
3. Why won't Russia, Britain, and France take action against the Ottoman empire?
(a) They are too badly outclassed militarily.
(b) None will take action due to their need for trade alliances.
(c) They do not believe the reports about the Armenians.
(d) They cannot ally themselves with each other.
4. What does Pascali believe about harmony.
(a) That only the dead understand harmony.
(b) That it works in music but not politics.
(c) That it is unobtainable.
(d) That it cannot be attained without discord.
5. Who is too smart to get caught red-handed?
(c) Smith, the fisherman.
6. What field interests Bowles as he tells Pascali?
7. Who is Herr Gesing?
(a) A German commercial agent.
(b) A former Nazi.
(c) The heir to the German beer manufacturer.
(d) The cousin to the Sultan through marriage.
8. What does Pascali see on the shore line as he passes by?
(a) Lydia and Bowles searching the tide pools.
(b) Two men pretending to fight.
(c) Two gulls fighting over a piece of crab.
(d) The fisherman Smith unloading cargo into a small boat.
9. What does Pascali observe Bowles doing?
(a) Holding Lydia's hand.
(b) Helping Hassan launch his boat.
(c) Throwing food to the gulls.
(d) Crossing over to climb the rocks on the far shore.
10. Why is Pascali perturbed when he delivers the contract to Bowles?
(a) Pascali is now visible with his name on the contract also.
(b) Pascali cannot read some of the fine print.
(c) Bowles tells Pascali to leave the contract on the porch.
(d) Bowles does not thank him for his efforts, nor offer to pay him the nominal fee mentioned previously.
11. Who suddenly calls from the next room?
12. What does Pascali think when he sees what is happening on the shoreline?
(a) That the gulls are merely imitating humankind.
(b) That all around him, the world is preparing for violence.
(c) That Bowles and Lydia are definitely together.
(d) That Smith is probably unloading guns.
13. What does Pascali think of what Bowles is saying about finding artifacts at the site?
(a) Pascali is not really paying attention and has no opinion.
(b) Pascali thinks Bowles is hiding something but is not sure what.
(c) Pascali thinks Bowles has made a fantastic find.
(d) Pascali thinks Bowles is lying.
14. What does Pascali's salary not allow him?
(a) Fine cigars.
(b) Transportation services.
(c) Fine wines.
(d) A trip to the redlight district.
15. What is the current environment on the island like?
(a) One of spy activities, broken loyalties, and fears of invasion.
(b) Open for new business enterprises.
(c) Laidback and peaceful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose name is spoken softly to Pasha?
2. What happens to the statue in the church on festival day?
3. What does Politis say to Pascali when they pass on the street?
4. Of what does Pascali become painfully aware?
5. To what does Pascali compare the sea?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)