* Basil Pascali is writing a report to the Sultan in Constantinople in July, 1908, about a small Greek island.
* He questions why his two hundred and fifty nine previous reports have not been acknowledged.
* Pascali believes his spy activities have been discovered and his death is imminent.
* Pascali spies a newcomer and follows and observes the man, who turns out to be Anthony Bowles.
* Pascali includes insignificant details in his report to demonstrate his poverty and need.
* Lies and deceit begin right from the start between Pascali and Bowles and perhaps Lydia.
* The themes of deceit, politics and duality are all woven throughout this first chapter.
* Pascali and Bowles are having drinks at the hotel and Lydia Neuman joins them.
* As Lydia and Bowles seem to hit it off, stimulating Pascali's jealousy, he sneaks into Bowles' room and examines the contents.
* Lydia, Pascali and Bowles are joined...
This section contains 2,085 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)