|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a restaurant owner set off in Sam Block's face?
2. What reason does the sheriff give for shooting the black man?
3. What celebrity lends his name to a fundraiser in this chapter?
4. What does A New Orleans newspaper accuse O'Dell of being a member of?
5. What is Moses struggling to find in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hoover want Kennedy to keep away from Frank Sinatra?
2. How does Kennedy create the Voter Education Project?
3. How does Jesse Jackson cause problems for King after he wins the National Baptist elections?
4. How does the city respond to the Albany Movement's manifesto?
5. What does the New Orleans article accuse O'Dell of?
6. Why did a hitman prove to be an embarrassment to the government?
7. What deal does King make with Robert Kennedy in this chapter?
8. How does Hoover keep an eye on King in this chapter?
9. What problems does Moses have in Mississippi?
10. Why is the Washington march so important to the movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Martin Luther King and President Kennedy.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) How can they work together to combat racism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Why have the police been accused of racism in the past? Have the police shown a similar attitude to poor people and minorities in general or has their attitude been particularly bad towards the blacks? How have the police force tried to combat racism?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)