|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer does Robert Kennedy enlist the help of?
2. When does Kennedy sign the Civil Rights Racial Discrimination Bill?
3. What is Jack O'Dell the director of?
4. What celebrity lends his name to a fundraiser in this chapter?
5. Whose phone does Hoover bug in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did King write letters from the Birmingham Jail?
2. How do the Freedom Riders enrage the Albany sheriff?
3. Why is the Washington march so important to the movement?
4. How did Megdar Evans die?
5. What deal does King make with Robert Kennedy in this chapter?
6. How do the Freedom Riders anger Kennedy in Chapter 12?
7. What problems does Moses have in Mississippi?
8. What is the Albany Movement?
9. Why does Moses file a federal suit against Robert Kennedy and Hoover?
10. How do the police prevent the D-Day marches from entering downtown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can Branch express in an autobiography that he can't in a novel? How does Branch use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Martin Luther King and President Kennedy.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) How can they work together to combat racism?
Essay Topic 3
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)