|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police use on the students to keep them out of the downtown area?
2. What do a group of people form at Slater King's house?
3. Why did the sheriff shoot a black man?
4. What was Hartman Turnbow the first Negro to do in Holmes County?
5. What does King reveal a habit of keeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the police prevent the D-Day marches from entering downtown?
2. Why does Hoover want Kennedy to keep away from Frank Sinatra?
3. How does Kennedy create the Voter Education Project?
4. What does the New Orleans article accuse O'Dell of?
5. Why does King snub Kennedy?
6. How does Hoover keep an eye on King in this chapter?
7. How do the Freedom Riders anger Kennedy in Chapter 12?
8. Why is the Washington march so important to the movement?
9. What deal does King make with Robert Kennedy in this chapter?
10. How does Moses react to the sheriff attacking him in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Examine King's upbringing and write 500 words about how his upbringing molded him into the strong and influential leader he became.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the demonstrations Branch describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)