|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the SNCC organize a fundraiser to buy?
2. Where is Medgar Evans shot?
3. Where does King write his speech for the Washington march?
4. What is Moses struggling to find in this chapter?
5. What position does Jackson remove King from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Megdar Evans try to implement in Jackson, Mississippi?
2. How does the city respond to the Albany Movement's manifesto?
3. How does Jesse Jackson cause problems for King after he wins the National Baptist elections?
4. What deal does King make with Robert Kennedy in this chapter?
5. How does Moses react to the sheriff attacking him in Chapter 13?
6. How do the police prevent the D-Day marches from entering downtown?
7. How do Birmingham's white businessmen respond to the riots?
8. Why did a hitman prove to be an embarrassment to the government?
9. What problems does Moses have in Mississippi?
10. Why did King write letters from the Birmingham Jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Civil Rights Movement improve life for Afro-Americans? What was life like for Afro-Americans before the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can Branch express in an autobiography that he can't in a novel? How does Branch use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Branch's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Branch's style give to his story?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)