|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns Moses to get out of the county?
2. Who does Moses use his one phone call to call?
3. What does a restaurant owner set off in Sam Block's face?
4. What kind of animal attacks Moses?
5. What is Jack O'Dell the director of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the city respond to the Albany Movement's manifesto?
2. Why is the Washington march so important to the movement?
3. Why does King snub Kennedy?
4. How do the police prevent the D-Day marches from entering downtown?
5. Why did a hitman prove to be an embarrassment to the government?
6. How did Megdar Evans die?
7. Why did King write letters from the Birmingham Jail?
8. How does Jesse Jackson cause problems for King after he wins the National Baptist elections?
9. Why does Hoover want Kennedy to keep away from Frank Sinatra?
10. What changes does Megdar Evans try to implement in Jackson, Mississippi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the famous people Branch depicts in the book and examine his or her impact on the Civil Rights Movement.
1) What were his or her beliefs?
2) How did he or she communicate his or her beliefs to the public?
3) What impact did he or she have on the Civil Rights movement?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the demonstrations Branch describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)