|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Chamber of Congress President in Birmingham want to get rid of?
2. What charges do the FBI investigate in this chapter?
3. What celebrity lends his name to a fundraiser in this chapter?
4. Whose phone does Hoover bug in this chapter?
5. What reason does the sheriff give for shooting the black man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did King write letters from the Birmingham Jail?
2. How do the police prevent the D-Day marches from entering downtown?
3. How do the Freedom Riders anger Kennedy in Chapter 12?
4. How do Birmingham's white businessmen respond to the riots?
5. Why does Moses file a federal suit against Robert Kennedy and Hoover?
6. Why did a hitman prove to be an embarrassment to the government?
7. How does Hoover keep an eye on King in this chapter?
8. How does Jesse Jackson cause problems for King after he wins the National Baptist elections?
9. How do the Freedom Riders enrage the Albany sheriff?
10. Why is the Washington march so important to the movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why have the police been accused of racism in the past? Have the police shown a similar attitude to poor people and minorities in general or has their attitude been particularly bad towards the blacks? How have the police force tried to combat racism?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Branch use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)