|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Jackson remove King from?
2. Where is the SCLC convention?
3. When does Kennedy sign the Civil Rights Racial Discrimination Bill?
4. Where does Kennedy meet the heads of the Civil Rights groups?
5. Who does the Judge tell Sam Block to stop working for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Freedom Riders enrage the Albany sheriff?
2. What changes does Megdar Evans try to implement in Jackson, Mississippi?
3. How does the city respond to the Albany Movement's manifesto?
4. How do the police prevent the D-Day marches from entering downtown?
5. Why does Moses file a federal suit against Robert Kennedy and Hoover?
6. How do Birmingham's white businessmen respond to the riots?
7. How does Jesse Jackson cause problems for King after he wins the National Baptist elections?
8. How did Megdar Evans die?
9. What does the New Orleans article accuse O'Dell of?
10. What is the Albany Movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1960s America.
1) Why did Afro-American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Branch uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)