|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the authorities closed in Birmingham?
2. Who do demonstrators kill outside the Lyceum?
3. What does a restaurant owner set off in Sam Block's face?
4. What does King reveal a habit of keeping?
5. What does Kennedy want to register in the South?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Branch uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
Essay Topic 3
Examine racism in America. How much has it changed since the Civil Rights Movement? How much do the students think Martin Luther King was responsible for that change? In what forms does racism still exist in America today?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)