|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hoover and Kennedy never get along?
2. What is the name of King's lawyer?
3. What does a man fracture when he falls over in a scuffle?
4. What do Kennedy and the heads of the Civil Rights groups create in New York?
5. What does Bull Connors fire at the church congregation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jesse Jackson cause problems for King after he wins the National Baptist elections?
2. What is the Albany Movement?
3. Why did King write letters from the Birmingham Jail?
4. How does the city respond to the Albany Movement's manifesto?
5. How did Megdar Evans die?
6. How do Birmingham's white businessmen respond to the riots?
7. Why does Hoover want Kennedy to keep away from Frank Sinatra?
8. What problems does Moses have in Mississippi?
9. How does Moses react to the sheriff attacking him in Chapter 13?
10. How does the Albany Movement try to recover its momentum in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How important was King's education? Would the Civil Rights movement have worked without educated leaders? How difficult was it for black people to get an education in America before Civil Rights?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Branch uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Examine racism in America. How much has it changed since the Civil Rights Movement? How much do the students think Martin Luther King was responsible for that change? In what forms does racism still exist in America today?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)