|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country's prime minister sends an official protest at the use of fire hoses?
2. What does the judge charge the sheriff with?
3. What does a restaurant owner set off in Sam Block's face?
4. Where is Seigenthaler when Kennedy calls him?
5. What does Hoover use to justify investigating King?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the New Orleans article accuse O'Dell of?
2. What changes does Megdar Evans try to implement in Jackson, Mississippi?
3. Why did King write letters from the Birmingham Jail?
4. Why does King snub Kennedy?
5. How do Birmingham's white businessmen respond to the riots?
6. Why does Hoover want Kennedy to keep away from Frank Sinatra?
7. How does Jesse Jackson cause problems for King after he wins the National Baptist elections?
8. How does Hoover keep an eye on King in this chapter?
9. What is the Albany Movement?
10. How does Moses react to the sheriff attacking him in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Martin Luther King and President Kennedy.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) How can they work together to combat racism?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Branch use character and setting to express his themes?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)