|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what newspaper does Rustin run an ad to help Martin Luther King?
2. Which of the following countries does Mike King not visit on his trip abroad?
3. What did King have to work on as well as working on church business?
4. What church does Reverend A.D. Williams take over?
5. What does John Lewis go to the restaurant to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moses file a federal suit against Robert Kennedy and Hoover?
2. How do the police try to stop the carpool drivers?
3. What does Robert Kennedy declare in his speech in Georgia?
4. What does Kennedy ask business officials to do?
5. How do the Freedom Riders anger Kennedy in Chapter 12?
6. How does the governor of Montgomery react to students trying to get served at the state capitol building lunch counter?
7. Why does Hoover want Kennedy to keep away from Frank Sinatra?
8. How do the police prevent the D-Day marches from entering downtown?
9. What deal does King make with Robert Kennedy in this chapter?
10. How does Kennedy create the Voter Education Project?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Branch use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can Branch express in an autobiography that he can't in a novel? How does Branch use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the demonstrations Branch describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)