|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nixon choose as his running mate?
2. What does the black driver do when a black girl refuses to give up her seat for a white person?
3. What does Crozier Theological Seminary have in its basement rec room?
4. What do the courts accuse King of not paying taxes for?
5. What kind of school is Atlanta Female Baptist Seminary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the Dialectical Society King starts at Boston College.
2. How does King arrange to transport the Negroes to and from work?
3. Why is the phone call Robert Kennedy makes to a judge potentially dangerous to his career?
4. Describe Vernon's character.
5. How did the Rockefellers become involved with the Atlanta Female Baptist Seminary?
6. What surprises King about the Crozer Theological Seminary?
7. How did Johns cause problems for the Dexter Avenue Church?
8. What were the differences between the First Baptist Church and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
9. What does Clayton Powell threaten to do if King does not call off plans to picket the Democratic convention?
10. How does Belafonte prove a good running mate for Kennedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine King's upbringing and write 500 words about how his upbringing molded him into the strong and influential leader he became.
Essay Topic 2
How did the Civil Rights Movement improve life for Afro-Americans? What was life like for Afro-Americans before the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the famous people Branch depicts in the book and examine his or her impact on the Civil Rights Movement.
1) What were his or her beliefs?
2) How did he or she communicate his or her beliefs to the public?
3) What impact did he or she have on the Civil Rights movement?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)