|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What university did Du Bois work at?
2. What did Mike King's father do for a living?
3. What kind of army does King build?
4. Who was Dexter's preacher after Johns?
5. Who does Kennedy select as his running mate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the phone call Robert Kennedy makes to a judge potentially dangerous to his career?
2. Why did the girl decide not to take the bus company to the courts?
3. How does the governor of Montgomery react to students trying to get served at the state capitol building lunch counter?
4. How did the First Baptist Church of Montgomery and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church form?
5. Describe how the Dialectical Society King starts at Boston College.
6. What dilemma did King's relationship with Betty pose?
7. What were the differences between the First Baptist Church and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
8. What happens to the Freedom Rider's Greyhound bus in Chapter 11?
9. How does King counteract Clayton Powell's threat?
10. How does King meet Vice President Nixon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Martin Luther King and President Kennedy.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) How can they work together to combat racism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can Branch express in an autobiography that he can't in a novel? How does Branch use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 3
How important was King's education? Would the Civil Rights movement have worked without educated leaders? How difficult was it for black people to get an education in America before Civil Rights?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)