|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of Farmer's family dies in this chapter?
2. What political party is Levison a member of?
3. What did a group of Negroes form in 1877?
4. What is Burke Marshall appointed head of?
5. What do organizers call the march on Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does King disappoint his father in this chapter?
2. How did Johns cause problems for the Dexter Avenue Church?
3. What does King put into motion with the SCLC in Chapter 6?
4. How does King prove himself innocent of the tax charges?
5. How did Rockefeller change the school?
6. What does King begin to understand about his faith?
7. What does Clayton Powell threaten to do if King does not call off plans to picket the Democratic convention?
8. How did the city taxi drivers try to help out the local Negroes?
9. What happens to the Freedom Rider's Greyhound bus in Chapter 11?
10. How did the First Baptist Church of Montgomery and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church form?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine how they helped to bridge the racial gap.
1) Freedom Riders.
3) President Kennedy.
Essay Topic 2
Why was it the right time to boycott the buses? How did the black community spread the word that they were boycotting the buses? How did the media respond to the bus boycott?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can Branch express in an autobiography that he can't in a novel? How does Branch use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)