Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert Kennedy begin to shy away from King?
2. Who does John Kennedy offer his support to in this chapter?
3. What was Williams' father's job?
4. Where did King's four friends go on trial?
5. What kind of commitee does the Nashville mayor appoint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the city taxi drivers try to help out the local Negroes?
2. How does Moses react to the sheriff attacking him in Chapter 13?
3. Describe how the Dialectical Society King starts at Boston College.
4. How did Megdar Evans die?
5. Why is the Washington march so important to the movement?
6. What does Kennedy ask business officials to do?
7. How do the police try to stop the carpool drivers?
8. How does King disappoint his father in this chapter?
9. What surprises King about the Crozer Theological Seminary?
10. What were the differences between the First Baptist Church and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following people and outline his influence on Martin Luther King's life and ideas.
2) Vernon Johns
3) President Kennedy
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Branch uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)