|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Williams' father's job?
2. Who takes over the running of the carpool?
3. What did James B. Pritchard teach?
4. Who does Powell say he will claim King is having an affair with?
5. Who has dinner with the Freedom Riders when they arrive in Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a girl refuses to move from her seat on the bus?
2. Describe Vernon's character.
3. Why did a hitman prove to be an embarrassment to the government?
4. What dilemma did King's relationship with Betty pose?
5. How does the Albany Movement try to recover its momentum in this chapter?
6. What is the Albany Movement?
7. How did the movie theaters in Nashville react to people protesting outside?
8. Describe how the Dialectical Society King starts at Boston College.
9. What changes does Megdar Evans try to implement in Jackson, Mississippi?
10. How does Jesse Jackson cause problems for King after he wins the National Baptist elections?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was it the right time to boycott the buses? How did the black community spread the word that they were boycotting the buses? How did the media respond to the bus boycott?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the demonstrations Branch describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
Essay Topic 3
How do King's Christian beliefs influence his approach to fighting racism? Why did people think that King's approach was direct enough?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)