|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did James B. Pritchard teach?
2. What does the black driver do when a black girl refuses to give up her seat for a white person?
3. What does a newspaper assign their reporter Tom Johnson to find out?
4. Who does Kennedy select as his running mate?
5. What did W.E.B Du Bois found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does King begin to understand about his faith?
2. Describe how the Dialectical Society King starts at Boston College.
3. How does the governor of Montgomery react to students trying to get served at the state capitol building lunch counter?
4. How did the city taxi drivers try to help out the local Negroes?
5. How did the movie theaters in Nashville react to people protesting outside?
6. What happens to the Freedom Rider's Greyhound bus in Chapter 11?
7. How does King find the task of writing a book?
8. How did the First Baptist Church of Montgomery and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church form?
9. What dilemma did King's relationship with Betty pose?
10. How did McCall fail the second sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1960s America.
1) Why did Afro-American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine how they helped to bridge the racial gap.
1) Freedom Riders.
3) President Kennedy.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)