|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King's speech stress the importance of?
2. What do the courts accuse King of not paying taxes for?
3. What does John Lewis go to the restaurant to eat?
4. What do organizers call the march on Washington?
5. What does Crozier Theological Seminary have in its basement rec room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do sit-ins start to become popular across the country?
2. How does the governor of Montgomery react to students trying to get served at the state capitol building lunch counter?
3. How does Belafonte prove a good running mate for Kennedy?
4. What were the differences between the First Baptist Church and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
5. How does King meet Vice President Nixon?
6. What does Robert Kennedy declare in his speech in Georgia?
7. What happens to the Freedom Rider's Greyhound bus in Chapter 11?
8. How do the police try to stop the carpool drivers?
9. How did Mike King improve himself so he could date Alberta Williams?
10. Describe Vernon's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Branch uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Examine racism in America. How much has it changed since the Civil Rights Movement? How much do the students think Martin Luther King was responsible for that change? In what forms does racism still exist in America today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)