|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did King and Coretta marry?
2. What organization does King join in this chapter?
3. What kind of commitee does the Nashville mayor appoint?
4. In which government building does King meet Nixon?
5. What member of Farmer's family dies in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the girl decide not to take the bus company to the courts?
2. How did Rockefeller change the school?
3. Why is the phone call Robert Kennedy makes to a judge potentially dangerous to his career?
4. What happens when a girl refuses to move from her seat on the bus?
5. How did the movie theaters in Nashville react to people protesting outside?
6. What does Robert Kennedy declare in his speech in Georgia?
7. How did McCall fail the second sermon?
8. Describe Vernon's character.
9. How did Mike King improve himself so he could date Alberta Williams?
10. How do sit-ins start to become popular across the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the famous people Branch depicts in the book and examine his or her impact on the Civil Rights Movement.
1) What were his or her beliefs?
2) How did he or she communicate his or her beliefs to the public?
3) What impact did he or she have on the Civil Rights movement?
Essay Topic 2
Examine King's upbringing and write 500 words about how his upbringing molded him into the strong and influential leader he became.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1960s America.
1) Why did Afro-American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)