|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Martin Luther King initially intend to train for?
2. Where do King and his supporters march to in Los Angeles?
3. What was Coretta Scott hoping to become after college?
4. What did a group of Negroes form in 1877?
5. What is Burke Marshall appointed head of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises King about the Crozer Theological Seminary?
2. How did Reverend Williams benefit from the education provided at Morehouse College?
3. How did Johns cause problems for the Dexter Avenue Church?
4. How does King prove himself innocent of the tax charges?
5. What does Robert Kennedy declare in his speech in Georgia?
6. What happens when a girl refuses to move from her seat on the bus?
7. What does King put into motion with the SCLC in Chapter 6?
8. How did the city taxi drivers try to help out the local Negroes?
9. How did Mike King improve himself so he could date Alberta Williams?
10. Why is the phone call Robert Kennedy makes to a judge potentially dangerous to his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do King's Christian beliefs influence his approach to fighting racism? Why did people think that King's approach was direct enough?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Branch's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Branch's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following people and outline his influence on Martin Luther King's life and ideas.
2) Vernon Johns
3) President Kennedy
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)