|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Daddy King want Martin Luther King, Jr. to marry?
2. Who is the candidate for the Republicans in the 1960 presidential election?
3. What was Coretta Scott hoping to become after college?
4. What does Crozier Theological Seminary have in its basement rec room?
5. What do organizers call the march on Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did McCall fail the second sermon?
2. What happens to the Freedom Rider's Greyhound bus in Chapter 11?
3. How does King meet Vice President Nixon?
4. Why did the girl decide not to take the bus company to the courts?
5. How does King change Dexter church?
6. Why is Robert Kennedy furious that his brother contacts Coretta King?
7. What does Clayton Powell threaten to do if King does not call off plans to picket the Democratic convention?
8. What dilemma did King's relationship with Betty pose?
9. How did Reverend Williams benefit from the education provided at Morehouse College?
10. How does the governor of Montgomery react to students trying to get served at the state capitol building lunch counter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Branch's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Branch's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Martin Luther King and President Kennedy.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) How can they work together to combat racism?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and outline King's thoughts on the subject. Use your own ideas to argue whether you think King is right or wrong.
2) Non-violent protests
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)