|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the black driver do when a black girl refuses to give up her seat for a white person?
2. What organization does King join in this chapter?
3. Who is the American President in this chapter?
4. Who is Martin Luther King competing for a position at Dexter church with?
5. Which of the following people does King not choose as an advisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Kennedy declare in his speech in Georgia?
2. Why is the Washington march so important to the movement?
3. How does Kennedy create the Voter Education Project?
4. How did Reverend Williams benefit from the education provided at Morehouse College?
5. What changes does Megdar Evans try to implement in Jackson, Mississippi?
6. How does King disappoint his father in this chapter?
7. How does King meet Vice President Nixon?
8. How did the First Baptist Church of Montgomery and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church form?
9. What dilemma did King's relationship with Betty pose?
10. How does King find the task of writing a book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1960s America.
1) Why did Afro-American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the demonstrations Branch describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine how they helped to bridge the racial gap.
1) Freedom Riders.
3) President Kennedy.
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)