|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of commitee does the Nashville mayor appoint?
2. What do the Nashville police threaten to arrest all protesters for?
3. What do organizers call the march on Washington?
4. Whose philosophy does Harris Wofford follow?
5. What does the police commissioner call the taxi drivers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vernon's character.
2. Why is Robert Kennedy furious that his brother contacts Coretta King?
3. What does Robert Kennedy declare in his speech in Georgia?
4. How does King change Dexter church?
5. How does King find the task of writing a book?
6. What were the differences between the First Baptist Church and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
7. What surprises King about the Crozer Theological Seminary?
8. How does King counteract Clayton Powell's threat?
9. What does King put into motion with the SCLC in Chapter 6?
10. How do sit-ins start to become popular across the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Martin Luther King and President Kennedy.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) How can they work together to combat racism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1960s America.
1) Why did Afro-American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)