|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a newspaper assign their reporter Tom Johnson to find out?
2. What does a mob throw through the back window of a bus?
3. What kind of people did the Dexter Avenue Church attract?
4. Which of the following countries does Mike King not visit on his trip abroad?
5. What is King asked to write a book about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Freedom Riders anger Kennedy in Chapter 12?
2. What problems does Moses have in Mississippi?
3. How does the Albany Movement try to recover its momentum in this chapter?
4. Why does Moses file a federal suit against Robert Kennedy and Hoover?
5. How does King arrange to transport the Negroes to and from work?
6. How does the governor of Montgomery react to students trying to get served at the state capitol building lunch counter?
7. How do the police try to stop the carpool drivers?
8. How does Kennedy create the Voter Education Project?
9. Why is Robert Kennedy furious that his brother contacts Coretta King?
10. How did the movie theaters in Nashville react to people protesting outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Branch's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Branch's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the demonstrations Branch describes in the book and examine how impact this event had on the Civil Rights Movements as a whole. What was the public's initial reaction to the demonstration? What media attention did it receive?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Civil Rights Movement improve life for Afro-Americans? What was life like for Afro-Americans before the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)