|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the preacher who caused a scandal in 1946?
2. What does Robinson's letter call to boycott?
3. In what state do the Freedom Riders encounter their first problems?
4. Which of the following is a title of one of John's sermons?
5. What is the title of Niebuhr's book that King reads in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the governor of Montgomery react to students trying to get served at the state capitol building lunch counter?
2. What does Clayton Powell threaten to do if King does not call off plans to picket the Democratic convention?
3. What happens to John Lewis when he tries to order hamburgers at a bar?
4. How does King counteract Clayton Powell's threat?
5. How did the city taxi drivers try to help out the local Negroes?
6. How does King change Dexter church?
7. How did the First Baptist Church of Montgomery and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church form?
8. What happens to the Freedom Rider's Greyhound bus in Chapter 11?
9. How did Johns cause problems for the Dexter Avenue Church?
10. How did the movie theaters in Nashville react to people protesting outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Branch's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Branch's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Why was it the right time to boycott the buses? How did the black community spread the word that they were boycotting the buses? How did the media respond to the bus boycott?
Essay Topic 3
Examine racism in America. How much has it changed since the Civil Rights Movement? How much do the students think Martin Luther King was responsible for that change? In what forms does racism still exist in America today?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)