|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people does King not choose as an advisor?
2. Who is the American President in this chapter?
3. What was the name of the preacher who caused a scandal in 1946?
4. Why did Moses drop out of graduate school?
5. In which government building does King meet Nixon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does King meet Vice President Nixon?
2. Describe how the Dialectical Society King starts at Boston College.
3. How do the police try to stop the carpool drivers?
4. How does King's Civil Rights work affect his preaching?
5. Why is Robert Kennedy furious that his brother contacts Coretta King?
6. How do sit-ins start to become popular across the country?
7. How did Reverend Williams benefit from the education provided at Morehouse College?
8. What does Clayton Powell threaten to do if King does not call off plans to picket the Democratic convention?
9. How does King change Dexter church?
10. What happens to the Freedom Rider's Greyhound bus in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Branch's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Branch's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the famous people Branch depicts in the book and examine his or her impact on the Civil Rights Movement.
1) What were his or her beliefs?
2) How did he or she communicate his or her beliefs to the public?
3) What impact did he or she have on the Civil Rights movement?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Branch uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)