|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Williams' daughter?
2. Where do students march to in Nashville?
3. What kind of people did the Dexter Avenue Church attract?
4. Who takes over the running of the carpool?
5. Who has dinner with the Freedom Riders when they arrive in Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the police try to stop the carpool drivers?
2. How does King find the task of writing a book?
3. How does the governor of Montgomery react to students trying to get served at the state capitol building lunch counter?
4. Why is Robert Kennedy furious that his brother contacts Coretta King?
5. How did Reverend Williams benefit from the education provided at Morehouse College?
6. Why did the girl decide not to take the bus company to the courts?
7. What happens to the Freedom Rider's Greyhound bus in Chapter 11?
8. Describe how the Dialectical Society King starts at Boston College.
9. Why is the phone call Robert Kennedy makes to a judge potentially dangerous to his career?
10. What dilemma did King's relationship with Betty pose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can Branch express in an autobiography that he can't in a novel? How does Branch use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 2
Examine King's upbringing and write 500 words about how his upbringing molded him into the strong and influential leader he became.
Essay Topic 3
How do King's Christian beliefs influence his approach to fighting racism? Why did people think that King's approach was direct enough?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)