|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the club King organizes at Boston?
2. What African country does King fly to?
3. What does a newspaper assign their reporter Tom Johnson to find out?
4. Where did King and Coretta marry?
5. Who does Kennedy select as his running mate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does King change Dexter church?
2. Describe Vernon's character.
3. What dilemma did King's relationship with Betty pose?
4. What does King put into motion with the SCLC in Chapter 6?
5. What were the differences between the First Baptist Church and the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church?
6. What does King begin to understand about his faith?
7. What surprises King about the Crozer Theological Seminary?
8. How does King's Civil Rights work affect his preaching?
9. How did Johns cause problems for the Dexter Avenue Church?
10. Why is the phone call Robert Kennedy makes to a judge potentially dangerous to his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can Branch express in an autobiography that he can't in a novel? How does Branch use these limitations to his advantage?
Essay Topic 2
Examine racism in America. How much has it changed since the Civil Rights Movement? How much do the students think Martin Luther King was responsible for that change? In what forms does racism still exist in America today?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine how they helped to bridge the racial gap.
1) Freedom Riders.
3) President Kennedy.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)