|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political party is Levison a member of?
2. What was Levison's job?
3. What does John share with the judge?
4. What did W.E.B Du Bois found?
5. What did Johns begin to sell on the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the Dialectical Society King starts at Boston College.
2. How does King's Civil Rights work affect his preaching?
3. How does King prove himself innocent of the tax charges?
4. What surprises King about the Crozer Theological Seminary?
5. How did McCall fail the second sermon?
6. Why did the girl decide not to take the bus company to the courts?
7. Why is Robert Kennedy furious that his brother contacts Coretta King?
8. How did the movie theaters in Nashville react to people protesting outside?
9. What does Robert Kennedy declare in his speech in Georgia?
10. How does Belafonte prove a good running mate for Kennedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1960s America.
1) Why did Afro-American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960s America?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following people and outline his influence on Martin Luther King's life and ideas.
2) Vernon Johns
3) President Kennedy
Essay Topic 3
Examine Branch's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Branch's style give to his story?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)