Chapter 1, Forerunner: Vernon Johns,
• In 1867, a group of Negroes leaves the First Baptist Church to form the First Baptist Church of Montgomery, Alabama. Ten years later another group of Negroes leaves the First Baptist Church to form the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church.
• In 1946, Dexter's preacher, Vernon Johns', sermons stir controversy.
• Johns starts to give sermons addressing the problems of segregation. He names one of his sermons "It is Safe to Murder a Negro in Montgomery."
• The deacons ask Johns to tone down his sermon, but he refuses.
• The deacons fire Johns and after a two-year search, hire Martin Luther King, Jr. as their new preacher.
Chapter 2, Rockefeller and Ebenezer,
• The Rockefeller family donates money to Atlanta Female Baptist Seminary, a Negro school for girls. They then oversee the building of a college they name Morehouse College.
• Reverend A.D Williams graduates Morehouse College and uses his education to...
This section contains 3,210 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)