|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
2. Where did Gopnik first hear the term "lessons from things."
3. Who calls and tells Gopnik that things are not going well with the Balzar in A Handful of Cherries?
4. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
5. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gopnik establish the dichotomy between French and American thought in the novel? Illustrate it through at least three anecdotes?
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three extended metaphors included in "Paris to the Moon" and discuss how Gopnik establishes them and uses them to contribute to thematic patterning.
Essay Topic 3
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)