|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
2. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
3. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
4. What sickness does Luke contract in A Machine to Draw the World?
5. What does Gopnik drink during his lunch with Quelin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Adam Gopnik's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
Essay Topic 2
Gopnik claims that he aims to examine the macro through the lens of the micro in his observation of daily French life. Describe how he does this throughout the book using at least three specific examples from the text and describing what overarching themes are established through small anecdotes.
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik utilize literary framing devices in "Paris to the Moon" and is he effective in using them. Why or why not?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)