|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
2. What was the theme song of the victorious soccer team?
3. What sickness does Luke contract in A Machine to Draw the World?
4. How does Gopnik usually begin cooking?
5. What does Martha's doctor tell her to do when she is gaining weight in her pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Adam Gopnik's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of fashion displayed in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik draw attention to the query, what makes something fashionable?
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three extended metaphors included in "Paris to the Moon" and discuss how Gopnik establishes them and uses them to contribute to thematic patterning.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)