|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movies does Luke form an attachment to in Barney?
2. How many nations participate in the World Cup tournament?
3. What is the name of the restaurant where the waiters invite Gopnik to dinner after they have left the Balzar?
4. What surprise do the Gopnik's receive at Christmas in A Machine to Draw the World?
5. What sound awakens Gopnik on his first morning at home on the Left Bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least three instance where Gopnik uses objects or places as symbols, and discuss how he creates the symbolism and uses it accentuate themes.
Essay Topic 2
How does Gopnik establish the dichotomy between French and American thought in the novel? Illustrate it through at least three anecdotes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik utilize literary framing devices in "Paris to the Moon" and is he effective in using them. Why or why not?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)