|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
2. What surprise do the Gopnik's receive at Christmas in A Machine to Draw the World?
3. How much money does Gopnik agree to commit to the Friends of the Balzar to keep the brasserie open?
4. When the clinic is locked upon the Gopnik's arrival, who opens the door?
5. Where did Gopnik first hear the term "lessons from things."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gopnik establish the dichotomy between French and American thought in the novel? Illustrate it through at least three anecdotes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Gopnik highlight the them of transparency in "Paris to the Moon" and what specific French political stories does he draw on to communicate this theme?
Essay Topic 3
What is Adam Gopnik's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)