|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color of frame did the Gopniks frame their engraving of Paris to the Moon?
2. What food does Gopnik miss more than any other American food in Distant Errors?
3. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
4. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
5. What magazine is Nicole Wisniak an editor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unique action does Gopnik observe at the Valentino show in Paris?
2. What idea does Alice have for a restaurant in the Louvre?
3. What game does Adam play with Luke at the Ritz pool?
4. What prominent American trial does Gopnik compare Papon's trial with?
5. What do men generally discuss to break the ice in France?
6. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
7. What request did Claude Blanchot make to the association of Balzar supporters in A Handful of Cherries?
8. Describe the appearance of Cressida Taylor.
9. What does Gopnik think is the sublime moment in cooking?
10. Why does the midwife advise Adam not to tell the cab driver that Martha is in labor when they go to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss Gopnik's use of the literary tool of hyperbole, using at least three textual examples to illustrate how Gopnik employs it.
Essay Topic 2
How does Gopnik establish the dichotomy between French and American thought in the novel? Illustrate it through at least three anecdotes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik highlight the theme of observation, and how does he connect this theme with the importance of writing?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)