|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do French intellectuals regard the affect of American culture on France?
2. What did Adam and Martha buy from BHV, that they had to return in The Winter Circus?
3. Where is Adam attending the Baudrillard seminar in Winter Circus?
4. Which two American authors does Philippe Sollers debate with Gopnik?
5. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Cressida Taylor.
2. What prominent American trial does Gopnik compare Papon's trial with?
3. Why don't people buy the one thousand outfits exhibited at the haute couture shows?
4. What do Gopnik and Quelin discuss in their dinner together?
5. Why does Gopnik view the French as stubborn in the chapter, The Strike?
6. According to Gopnik, how is pregnancy and childbirth viewed differently in France from the U.S.?
7. What request does Jerome Meyssonier make when he agrees to be taken hostage in The Chill?
8. What game does Adam play with Luke at the Ritz pool?
9. What request did Claude Blanchot make to the association of Balzar supporters in A Handful of Cherries?
10. What observation does Gopnik make about French weather reports compared to those of an American place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss Gopnik's use of the literary tool of hyperbole, using at least three textual examples to illustrate how Gopnik employs it.
Essay Topic 2
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik highlight the theme of observation, and how does he connect this theme with the importance of writing?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)