|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gym did Adam and Martha first try out on in Paris?
2. What does Nisha's spouse do for a job?
3. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
4. What is not one of the names suggested for the new stadium in The Rules of the Sport?
5. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Cressida Taylor.
2. How does Gopnik regard soccer at the beginning of The World Cup.
3. According to Gopnik, why do most people love Paris?
4. What did Gopnik observe of the other patrons after he dove into the pool at the Ritz?
5. According to Gopnik, what is the French dream of producerism?
6. What game does Adam play with Luke at the Ritz pool?
7. What prominent American trial does Gopnik compare Papon's trial with?
8. What does Gopnik mean by the phrase "the law of Inverse Natural Appeal" in A Tale of Two Cafes?
9. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
10. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Adam Gopnik in "Paris to the Moon". As this was a deliberate choice discuss why Gopnik may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Gopnik illustrate the French penchant for over-dramatization and what does he delineate is the cause for their melodramatic ways?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik highlight the them of transparency in "Paris to the Moon" and what specific French political stories does he draw on to communicate this theme?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)