|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
2. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
3. Who appointed Juppe to his position as Prime Minister?
4. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
5. What nationality was the tourist that got off on the first platform rather than the second in Trouble at the Tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the Balzar.
2. What request does Jerome Meyssonier make when he agrees to be taken hostage in The Chill?
3. What do men generally discuss to break the ice in France?
4. When Adam and Martha tell friends that they are expecting a girl, what do their friends tell them?
5. Why does Gopnik view the French as stubborn in the chapter, The Strike?
6. How did the movement to lower the age of retirement begin in France in The Chill?
7. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
8. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
9. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
10. Why is it difficult to be lonely in Paris, according to Gopnik?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Gopnik establishes the setting of Paris in the novel and how the setting contributes to the plot and themes introduced in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three instance where Gopnik uses objects or places as symbols, and discuss how he creates the symbolism and uses it accentuate themes.
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of "Paris to the Moon" and what literary tools does Gopnik use to create this tone?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)