|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not one of the names suggested for the new stadium in The Rules of the Sport?
2. What day did the strike begin on?
3. What does Nisha's spouse do for a job?
4. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
5. How does Paris look at the time of the strike in the chapter, The Strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Distant Errors, Christmas Journal 2, how does Gopnik feel about his experience of immigrating to Paris?
2. Why is it difficult to be lonely in Paris, according to Gopnik?
3. What type of reaction does Alice have towards vegetables at the market?
4. What game do the older children play at the carousel at the Luxembourg Gardens.
5. According to Gopnik, what purpose does soccer have?
6. What does Gopnik mean by the phrase "the law of Inverse Natural Appeal" in A Tale of Two Cafes?
7. How do the French regard fact checking?
8. What do men generally discuss to break the ice in France?
9. How is Luke exposed to Barney for the first time?
10. How are pregnant women treated in France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of fashion displayed in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik draw attention to the query, what makes something fashionable?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Gopnik establishes the setting of Paris in the novel and how the setting contributes to the plot and themes introduced in the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)