|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
2. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
3. What do the students want to achieve from their strike?
4. Which publication first revealed that Juppe had leased an apartment from the domaine privee of the city of Paris?
5. What does Nisha's spouse do for a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
2. How did the Cafe de Flore get its name?
3. What did Gopnik observe of the other patrons after he dove into the pool at the Ritz?
4. When Adam and Martha tell friends that they are expecting a girl, what do their friends tell them?
5. According to Gopnik, what is the French dream of producerism?
6. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
7. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
8. Why does Gopnik think that Prime Minister Alain Juppe was probably relieved by the Islamic terrorist bombing in Private Domain?
9. Why does the midwife advise Adam not to tell the cab driver that Martha is in labor when they go to the hospital?
10. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gopnik establish the dichotomy between French and American thought in the novel? Illustrate it through at least three anecdotes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Gopnik utilize literary framing devices in "Paris to the Moon" and is he effective in using them. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik illustrate the French penchant for over-dramatization and what does he delineate is the cause for their melodramatic ways?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)