|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
2. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
3. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
4. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
5. Where are most of the fashion shows held in Couture Shock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game does Adam play with Luke at the Ritz pool?
2. Why does Gopnik realize that trying to buy out the owner of the Balzar would be unsuccessful in A Handful of Cherries?
3. Describe the appearance of Cressida Taylor.
4. Why are people worried that French cooking may be deteriorating?
5. What does Gopnik think is the sublime moment in cooking?
6. What was the goal of the strikers in the chapter, The Strike?
7. How did the movement to lower the age of retirement begin in France in The Chill?
8. How do the French feel about American Halloween?
9. When Adam and Martha tell friends that they are expecting a girl, what do their friends tell them?
10. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of fashion displayed in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik draw attention to the query, what makes something fashionable?
Essay Topic 2
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik establish the dichotomy between French and American thought in the novel? Illustrate it through at least three anecdotes?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)