|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie star did Gopnik and his cousin fall in love with, when they were boys?
2. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
3. Which designer created a forest-like set in Couture Shock?
4. In what way was Gopnik worried that the strike would affect his life in the chapter The Strike?
5. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, why do most people love Paris?
2. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
3. How does Gopnik describe Alice?
4. What does Gopnik regret after New Years in One Last Year?
5. What was the goal of the strikers in the chapter, The Strike?
6. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
7. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
8. Describe the appearance of Cressida Taylor.
9. What did Gopnik observe of the other patrons after he dove into the pool at the Ritz?
10. Why wouldn't the Rookie have fought in WWI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of fashion displayed in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik draw attention to the query, what makes something fashionable?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss Gopnik's use of the literary tool of hyperbole, using at least three textual examples to illustrate how Gopnik employs it.
Essay Topic 3
What is Adam Gopnik's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)