|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What error displays most often on Gopnik's fax machine?
2. What is the name of the restaurant who created the complex dessert of braised tomato?
3. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
4. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
5. What is the name of the French economist who claimed that the U.S. economy was stagnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, what purpose does soccer have?
2. Why does Gopnik realize that trying to buy out the owner of the Balzar would be unsuccessful in A Handful of Cherries?
3. What do men generally discuss to break the ice in France?
4. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
5. What prominent American trial does Gopnik compare Papon's trial with?
6. How are pregnant women treated in France?
7. After Luke is born, what motivates Gopnik to move to Paris sooner rather than later?
8. How do the French regard fact checking?
9. What prompts Gopnik to invent the bedtime story of The Rookie for his son Luke?
10. What game do the older children play at the carousel at the Luxembourg Gardens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least three extended metaphors included in "Paris to the Moon" and discuss how Gopnik establishes them and uses them to contribute to thematic patterning.
Essay Topic 2
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik utilize literary framing devices in "Paris to the Moon" and is he effective in using them. Why or why not?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)