|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
2. What color of frame did the Gopniks frame their engraving of Paris to the Moon?
3. Where is Adam attending the Baudrillard seminar in Winter Circus?
4. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
5. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gopnik observe of the other patrons after he dove into the pool at the Ritz?
2. What observation does Gopnik make about French weather reports compared to those of an American place?
3. After Luke is born, what motivates Gopnik to move to Paris sooner rather than later?
4. How does Gopnik describe Alice?
5. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
6. Describe the appearance of Cressida Taylor.
7. Why does Gopnik view the French as stubborn in the chapter, The Strike?
8. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
9. How is Luke exposed to Barney for the first time?
10. What idea does Alice have for a restaurant in the Louvre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gopnik highlight the theme of observation, and how does he connect this theme with the importance of writing?
Essay Topic 2
What is Adam Gopnik's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three extended metaphors included in "Paris to the Moon" and discuss how Gopnik establishes them and uses them to contribute to thematic patterning.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)