|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
2. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
3. What day did the strike begin on?
4. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
5. What is the name of the gym Adam and Martha eventually join?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gopnik describe Alice?
2. What does Gopnik think the strike illustrates about the French way of coping with difficulties?
3. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
4. What does Gopnik regret after New Years in One Last Year?
5. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
6. What is the "machine to draw the world"?
7. How are pregnant women treated in France?
8. What action do the other employees take when an employee is fired over the altercation with the British tourist in Trouble at the Tower?
9. What game does Adam play with Luke at the Ritz pool?
10. What request did Claude Blanchot make to the association of Balzar supporters in A Handful of Cherries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gopnik highlight the them of transparency in "Paris to the Moon" and what specific French political stories does he draw on to communicate this theme?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of "Paris to the Moon" and what literary tools does Gopnik use to create this tone?
Essay Topic 3
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)