|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the marquee of the Cafe Deux Magots?
2. Where are most of the fashion shows held in Couture Shock?
3. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
4. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
5. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, what purpose does soccer have?
2. What does interest in sports identify a Frenchman as?
3. Why does Gopnik view the French as stubborn in the chapter, The Strike?
4. How does Gopnik describe Alice?
5. What idea does Alice have for a restaurant in the Louvre?
6. According to Gopnik, why do most people love Paris?
7. What happens when Gopnik decides to finish the Rookie story?
8. How is Luke exposed to Barney for the first time?
9. What action do the other employees take when an employee is fired over the altercation with the British tourist in Trouble at the Tower?
10. What game does Adam play with Luke at the Ritz pool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least three extended metaphors included in "Paris to the Moon" and discuss how Gopnik establishes them and uses them to contribute to thematic patterning.
Essay Topic 2
How does Gopnik use descriptive detail to further the story and strengthen themes? What types of imagery and expository statements does he use to create descriptive detail?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of "Paris to the Moon" and what literary tools does Gopnik use to create this tone?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)