Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
2. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
3. Who appointed Juppe to his position as Prime Minister?
4. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
5. What nationality was the tourist that got off on the first platform rather than the second in Trouble at the Tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the Balzar.
2. What request does Jerome Meyssonier make when he agrees to be taken hostage in The Chill?
3. What do men generally discuss to break the ice in France?
4. When Adam and Martha tell friends that they are expecting a girl, what do their friends tell them?
5. Why does Gopnik view the French as stubborn in the chapter, The Strike?
6. How did the movement to lower the age of retirement begin in France in The Chill?
7. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
8. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
9. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
10. Why is it difficult to be lonely in Paris, according to Gopnik?
Discuss the point of view utilized by Adam Gopnik in "Paris to the Moon". As this was a deliberate choice discuss why Gopnik may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
How is the theme of fashion displayed in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik draw attention to the query, what makes something fashionable?
How is thematic patterning evident in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik orchestrate themes to create an overarching meaning?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)