|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What error displays most often on Gopnik's fax machine?
2. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
3. What color of track suits do the employees of Adam's gym wear?
4. What restaurant does Gopnik attend at the end of The Crisis of French Cooking where he has a wonderful French meal?
5. What movie star did Gopnik and his cousin fall in love with, when they were boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik in "Paris to the Moon", how have Americans through the generations regarded Paris?
2. Describe the engraving, Paris to the Moon, that Gopnik and his wife buy in Paris.
3. How does the new owner of the Balzar respond to the protesters?
4. Why does Gopnik think that Prime Minister Alain Juppe was probably relieved by the Islamic terrorist bombing in Private Domain?
5. What do Gopnik and Quelin discuss in their dinner together?
6. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
7. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
8. Describe the appearance of the Balzar.
9. What request did Claude Blanchot make to the association of Balzar supporters in A Handful of Cherries?
10. Why is it difficult to be lonely in Paris, according to Gopnik?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss Gopnik's use of the literary tool of hyperbole, using at least three textual examples to illustrate how Gopnik employs it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how "Paris to the Moon" explores the issue of media and how simulated events contrast with reality. Include in your essay and explanation of Gopnik's statement that, "There is no Regulon in the Semiosphere."
Essay Topic 3
How does the French cooking tradition differ from the American cooking tradition and how does this translate to the French appreciation of food?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)