|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Luke's baby-sitter Nisha from?
2. What gym did Adam and Martha first try out on in Paris?
3. What restaurant does Gopnik attend at the end of The Crisis of French Cooking where he has a wonderful French meal?
4. What do the students want to achieve from their strike?
5. How old is Juppe in Private Domain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people worried that French cooking may be deteriorating?
2. When Adam and Martha tell friends that they are expecting a girl, what do their friends tell them?
3. How is Luke exposed to Barney for the first time?
4. Why is it difficult to be lonely in Paris, according to Gopnik?
5. Why does the midwife advise Adam not to tell the cab driver that Martha is in labor when they go to the hospital?
6. Describe the ancient carousel in the Luxembourg Gardens.
7. In Distant Errors, Christmas Journal 2, how does Gopnik feel about his experience of immigrating to Paris?
8. Why wouldn't the Rookie have fought in WWI?
9. According to Gopnik, why do most people love Paris?
10. Describe the appearance of the Balzar.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gopnik utilize literary framing devices in "Paris to the Moon" and is he effective in using them. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the narrative of "Paris to the Moon" organized, and how does the organization of the book lend itself to the creating of themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik use descriptive detail to further the story and strengthen themes? What types of imagery and expository statements does he use to create descriptive detail?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)