|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adam attending the Baudrillard seminar in Winter Circus?
2. What is the name of the movement that brought an emphasis on spices to compete with this ethic of the soil?
3. Which nationality champions producerism, according to Gopnik?
4. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
5. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
2. What prompts Gopnik to invent the bedtime story of The Rookie for his son Luke?
3. How did the movement to lower the age of retirement begin in France in The Chill?
4. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
5. What is the "machine to draw the world"?
6. What do men generally discuss to break the ice in France?
7. When Adam and Martha tell friends that they are expecting a girl, what do their friends tell them?
8. According to Gopnik in "Paris to the Moon", how have Americans through the generations regarded Paris?
9. Why does Gopnik realize that trying to buy out the owner of the Balzar would be unsuccessful in A Handful of Cherries?
10. What type of reaction does Alice have towards vegetables at the market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of "Paris to the Moon" and what literary tools does Gopnik use to create this tone?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of fashion displayed in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik draw attention to the query, what makes something fashionable?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)