|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not one of the restaurants mentioned in the first chapter, Paris to the Moon?
2. Where does Adam take Luke on rainy days?
3. What is the name of the French economist who claimed that the U.S. economy was stagnant?
4. How does the taxidermy shop make most of its money in Winter Circus?
5. What does Gopnik call the notion that Americans wanted to consume in a world where workers were hidden or dressed up as nonhumans, so as not to be disconcerting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gopnik think is the sublime moment in cooking?
2. What idea does Alice have for a restaurant in the Louvre?
3. How does Gopnik regard soccer at the beginning of The World Cup.
4. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
5. What game do the older children play at the carousel at the Luxembourg Gardens.
6. Why are people worried that French cooking may be deteriorating?
7. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
8. How is Luke exposed to Barney for the first time?
9. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
10. According to Gopnik, what purpose does soccer have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is thematic patterning evident in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik orchestrate themes to create an overarching meaning?
Essay Topic 2
How is the narrative of "Paris to the Moon" organized, and how does the organization of the book lend itself to the creating of themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik establish the dichotomy between French and American thought in the novel? Illustrate it through at least three anecdotes?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)