|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentence was Papon given by the jury?
2. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
3. What restaurant does Gopnik attend at the end of The Crisis of French Cooking where he has a wonderful French meal?
4. What is the name of the French economist who claimed that the U.S. economy was stagnant?
5. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, how is pregnancy and childbirth viewed differently in France from the U.S.?
2. How do the French feel about American Halloween?
3. What action do the other employees take when an employee is fired over the altercation with the British tourist in Trouble at the Tower?
4. What is the "machine to draw the world"?
5. According to Gopnik, what is the French dream of producerism?
6. According to Gopnik, why do most people love Paris?
7. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
8. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
9. How does the new owner of the Balzar respond to the protesters?
10. What happens when Gopnik decides to finish the Rookie story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of fashion displayed in "Paris to the Moon" and how does Gopnik draw attention to the query, what makes something fashionable?
Essay Topic 2
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Gopnik claims that he aims to examine the macro through the lens of the micro in his observation of daily French life. Describe how he does this throughout the book using at least three specific examples from the text and describing what overarching themes are established through small anecdotes.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)