|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gopnik call the notion that Americans wanted to consume in a world where workers were hidden or dressed up as nonhumans, so as not to be disconcerting?
2. What did Adam and Martha buy from BHV, that they had to return in The Winter Circus?
3. What color is the marquee of the Cafe Deux Magots?
4. What movie star did Gopnik and his cousin fall in love with, when they were boys?
5. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
2. What observation does Gopnik make about French weather reports compared to those of an American place?
3. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
4. What game do the older children play at the carousel at the Luxembourg Gardens.
5. How do the French regard fact checking?
6. What was the goal of the strikers in the chapter, The Strike?
7. Why does the midwife advise Adam not to tell the cab driver that Martha is in labor when they go to the hospital?
8. Why are people worried that French cooking may be deteriorating?
9. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
10. Describe the Ritz pool.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gopnik highlight the theme of observation, and how does he connect this theme with the importance of writing?
Essay Topic 2
How does the inclusion of current events in "Paris to the Moon" make Gopnik's theme more relevant to contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gopnik use descriptive detail to further the story and strengthen themes? What types of imagery and expository statements does he use to create descriptive detail?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)