|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gym did Adam and Martha first try out on in Paris?
2. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
3. Where was the Givenchy show held in Couture Shock?
4. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
5. In what way was Gopnik worried that the strike would affect his life in the chapter The Strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people worried that French cooking may be deteriorating?
2. What request does Jerome Meyssonier make when he agrees to be taken hostage in The Chill?
3. What request did Claude Blanchot make to the association of Balzar supporters in A Handful of Cherries?
4. How do the French feel about American Halloween?
5. When Adam and Martha tell friends that they are expecting a girl, what do their friends tell them?
6. What do Gopnik and Quelin discuss in their dinner together?
7. According to Gopnik, how is pregnancy and childbirth viewed differently in France from the U.S.?
8. What idea does Alice have for a restaurant in the Louvre?
9. Why does Gopnik think that Prime Minister Alain Juppe was probably relieved by the Islamic terrorist bombing in Private Domain?
10. What is the "machine to draw the world"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gopnik illustrate the French penchant for over-dramatization and what does he delineate is the cause for their melodramatic ways?
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three instance where Gopnik uses objects or places as symbols, and discuss how he creates the symbolism and uses it accentuate themes.
Essay Topic 3
What is Adam Gopnik's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)