|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gym did Adam and Martha first try out on in Paris?
2. Which is not one of the estimates of the number of domaine prive apartments listed in the chapter Private Domain?
3. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
4. What is the name of Adam's cousin who had fled Paris for London and made a small fortune in banking?
5. Where was the Givenchy show held in Couture Shock?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
2. Describe the engraving, Paris to the Moon, that Gopnik and his wife buy in Paris.
3. Why does Gopnik think that writing is sometimes a depressing job?
4. What request does Jerome Meyssonier make when he agrees to be taken hostage in The Chill?
5. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
6. Describe the ancient carousel in the Luxembourg Gardens.
7. According to Gopnik, how is pregnancy and childbirth viewed differently in France from the U.S.?
8. What action do the other employees take when an employee is fired over the altercation with the British tourist in Trouble at the Tower?
9. What does Gopnik regret after New Years in One Last Year?
10. What request did Claude Blanchot make to the association of Balzar supporters in A Handful of Cherries?
Essay Topic 1
What is Adam Gopnik's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
Essay Topic 2
How does Gopnik illustrate the French penchant for over-dramatization and what does he delineate is the cause for their melodramatic ways?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Gopnik establishes the setting of Paris in the novel and how the setting contributes to the plot and themes introduced in the book.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)