|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many good soccer teams does Paris have?
2. What did Adam's gym do to celebrate their opening?
(a) The had a crepe party.
(b) They hosted a relay race.
(c) They hosted a concert.
(d) They had a dance.
3. What was the profession of Gopnik's parents?
(a) They were college professors.
(b) They were both writers.
(c) They were chefs.
(d) They were artists.
4. How many remotes does Gopnik receive for his television in Winter Circus?
5. How do French intellectuals regard the affect of American culture on France?
(a) They are completely indifferent with American culture and don't even know prominent American authors.
(b) They love abstract influence from America and credit it with changing French thought.
(c) They blame America for the decline of French art and literature.
(d) They think America has no influence whatsoever on the French arts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
2. How does Gopnik's turkey in The Strike compare with his previous experiences with turkeys?
3. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
4. What day did the strike begin on?
5. Which two American authors does Philippe Sollers debate with Gopnik?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people worried that French cooking may be deteriorating?
2. Describe the ancient carousel in the Luxembourg Gardens.
3. How do the French feel about American Halloween?
4. How does the new owner of the Balzar respond to the protesters?
5. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
6. According to Gopnik, how is pregnancy and childbirth viewed differently in France from the U.S.?
7. What type of reaction does Alice have towards vegetables at the market?
8. What does interest in sports identify a Frenchman as?
9. What do men generally discuss to break the ice in France?
10. Describe the Ritz pool.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)