|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
(a) It is made in Sweden.
(b) It is made by France Telecom in France.
(c) It is a U.S. machine he brought over.
(d) It is made in China.
2. When Gopnik sits on a panel in Distant Errors, who does the panel blame for the American dominance of culture?
(b) The CIA and Disney.
(c) The CIA and Ford.
(d) Walmart and McDonald's.
3. Where did Papon flee to after he was convicted?
4. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
(a) Nothing happened and her complaint was dismissed.
(b) The woman was barred from riding the tower again.
(c) The employee was fired.
(d) The woman was credited money.
5. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
(a) He was the governor.
(b) He was a magistrate.
(c) He was the mayor of Bordeaux.
(d) He was the secretary general.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appointed Juppe to his position as Prime Minister?
2. What did Adam's gym do to celebrate their opening?
3. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
4. What is the title of the daily sports paper in France?
5. What is the name of the movement that brought an emphasis on spices to compete with this ethic of the soil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "machine to draw the world"?
2. Describe the Ritz pool.
3. How is Luke exposed to Barney for the first time?
4. After Luke is born, what motivates Gopnik to move to Paris sooner rather than later?
5. What type of reaction does Alice have towards vegetables at the market?
6. What game does Adam play with Luke at the Ritz pool?
7. Why don't people buy the one thousand outfits exhibited at the haute couture shows?
8. How does Gopnik regard soccer at the beginning of The World Cup.
9. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
10. Why does Gopnik think that Prime Minister Alain Juppe was probably relieved by the Islamic terrorist bombing in Private Domain?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)