|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
2. How old is Luke when the Gopniks arrived in Paris?
(a) One year old.
(b) 4 months old.
(c) Two years old.
(d) 8 months old.
3. What was the profession of Gopnik's parents?
(a) They were college professors.
(b) They were artists.
(c) They were chefs.
(d) They were both writers.
4. What is the name of the post-structuralist philosopher that enjoys French cuisine?
(a) Baroness de Rothschild.
(b) Cesar Ritz.
(c) Freitz Carem.
(d) Eugenio Donato.
5. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
(a) They lived there for their first year of marriage in 1989.
(b) They went there on their honeymoon.
(c) They stayed there for a week before they were married.
(d) They had never been to Paris together before the move in 1995.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
2. What is the name of the restaurant who created the complex dessert of braised tomato?
3. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
4. What nationality was the tourist that got off on the first platform rather than the second in Trouble at the Tower?
5. How many good soccer teams does Paris have?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, what is the French dream of producerism?
2. What was the goal of the strikers in the chapter, The Strike?
3. Why does Gopnik think that writing is sometimes a depressing job?
4. According to Gopnik in "Paris to the Moon", how have Americans through the generations regarded Paris?
5. Why does Gopnik realize that trying to buy out the owner of the Balzar would be unsuccessful in A Handful of Cherries?
6. Describe the appearance of Cressida Taylor.
7. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
8. What does Gopnik think the strike illustrates about the French way of coping with difficulties?
9. What does Gopnik mean by the phrase "the law of Inverse Natural Appeal" in A Tale of Two Cafes?
10. How are pregnant women treated in France?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)