|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the gym Adam and Martha eventually join?
(a) The Ritz health club.
(b) Regiment Rouge.
(c) Place Americaine.
2. How does the taxidermy shop make most of its money in Winter Circus?
(a) Stuffing exotic animals from hunting expeditions.
(b) Stuffing beloved family pets.
(c) Stuffing animals for various zoos.
(d) Selling bugs and butterflies to collectors.
3. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
(a) Three times a week.
(b) Four times a week.
(c) Once per week.
(d) Twice a week.
4. What year did Gopnik enjoy his first stay in Paris for one year?
5. Which area of Paris does Gopnik find his apartment in?
(a) The Fourth Arrondissment.
(b) He isn't able to find an apartment in Paris and moves to the suburbs.
(c) The Seventh Arrondissement.
(d) The Sixth Arrondissement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class is most enthusiastic about the strikes in France?
2. What is not one of the names suggested for the new stadium in The Rules of the Sport?
3. What percentage of the population was in favor of stopping work at fifty-five in The Chill?
4. How does Gopnik's turkey in The Strike compare with his previous experiences with turkeys?
5. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request did Claude Blanchot make to the association of Balzar supporters in A Handful of Cherries?
2. What do Gopnik and Quelin discuss in their dinner together?
3. How did the Cafe de Flore get its name?
4. Why does Gopnik think that Prime Minister Alain Juppe was probably relieved by the Islamic terrorist bombing in Private Domain?
5. How does Gopnik regard soccer at the beginning of The World Cup.
6. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
7. What request does Jerome Meyssonier make when he agrees to be taken hostage in The Chill?
8. What prominent American trial does Gopnik compare Papon's trial with?
9. How did the movement to lower the age of retirement begin in France in The Chill?
10. What observation does Gopnik make about French weather reports compared to those of an American place?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)