Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
(a) Christian Lacroix.
(b) Olivier Lapidus.
(c) Yves Saint Laurent.
2. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
(a) She sat next to Georgio Armani and refused to acknowledge Christian Lacroix.
(b) She wore a jaw dropping red dress created for her by the designer.
(c) She slapped Claudia Schiffer.
(d) She wore a see through top and covered her breats with her fingertips.
3. Who appointed Juppe to his position as Prime Minister?
(a) Edouard Balladur.
(b) Jacques Chirac.
(c) Christine Ockrent.
(d) He was voted in by the populace.
4. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
(a) The sanitation workers.
(b) The railroad workers.
(c) Police officers.
(d) Telephone company workers.
5. What nationality was the tourist that got off on the first platform rather than the second in Trouble at the Tower?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
2. What is the name of the bill supported by Le Pen which would have required people inform police if they had a foreign guest?
3. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
4. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
5. What did Adam and Martha buy from BHV, that they had to return in The Winter Circus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the Balzar.
2. What request does Jerome Meyssonier make when he agrees to be taken hostage in The Chill?
3. What do men generally discuss to break the ice in France?
4. When Adam and Martha tell friends that they are expecting a girl, what do their friends tell them?
5. Why does Gopnik view the French as stubborn in the chapter, The Strike?
6. How did the movement to lower the age of retirement begin in France in The Chill?
7. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
8. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
9. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
10. Why is it difficult to be lonely in Paris, according to Gopnik?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)