|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
(d) Emile Zola.
2. How does the taxidermy shop make most of its money in Winter Circus?
(a) Stuffing animals for various zoos.
(b) Stuffing exotic animals from hunting expeditions.
(c) Stuffing beloved family pets.
(d) Selling bugs and butterflies to collectors.
3. What is the name of the author of Les Enfants de Saturne, who Gopnik contacts in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) Roger Cazes.
(b) Paul Boubal.
(c) Charles Maurras.
(d) Jean-Paul Enthove.
4. What does Gopnik call the notion that Americans wanted to consume in a world where workers were hidden or dressed up as nonhumans, so as not to be disconcerting?
(b) Paris in July.
(d) Disney World.
5. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
(a) It is made in China.
(b) It is a U.S. machine he brought over.
(c) It is made in Sweden.
(d) It is made by France Telecom in France.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
2. What company was M. Meyssonier the president of?
3. How old is Luke when the Gopniks arrived in Paris?
4. What is the name of the magazine that Adam Gopnik works as a correspondent for?
5. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
2. Describe the engraving, Paris to the Moon, that Gopnik and his wife buy in Paris.
3. Why does Gopnik think that writing is sometimes a depressing job?
4. Why does Gopnik realize that trying to buy out the owner of the Balzar would be unsuccessful in A Handful of Cherries?
5. According to Gopnik, how do the French feel about American-style sports and stadiums?
6. What prominent American trial does Gopnik compare Papon's trial with?
7. According to Gopnik in "Paris to the Moon", how have Americans through the generations regarded Paris?
8. According to Gopnik, how is pregnancy and childbirth viewed differently in France from the U.S.?
9. What does Gopnik think is the sublime moment in cooking?
10. Why does Gopnik think that Prime Minister Alain Juppe was probably relieved by the Islamic terrorist bombing in Private Domain?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)