|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which designer created a forest-like set in Couture Shock?
(b) Yves Saint Laurent.
(c) Olivier Lapidus.
2. Where does Adam take Luke on rainy days?
(a) The taxidermy shop.
(b) The Ritz pool.
(c) The toy store.
(d) The Luxembourg Gardens.
3. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
(a) From the street sweeper.
(b) From the television.
(c) In the newspaper, Le Monde.
(d) From the lady who keeps the striped-pajama boutique.
4. What is the name of the magazine that Adam Gopnik works as a correspondent for?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) Time Magazine.
(c) Better Homes and Garden.
5. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
(a) The Gucci show.
(b) The Valentio show.
(c) The Yves St. Laurent show.
(d) The Givenchy Show.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie star did Gopnik and his cousin fall in love with, when they were boys?
2. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
3. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
4. Which publication first revealed that Juppe had leased an apartment from the domaine privee of the city of Paris?
5. What sentence was Papon given by the jury?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gopnik, how do the French see life?
2. How does Gopnik describe Alice?
3. How are pregnant women treated in France?
4. How is Luke exposed to Barney for the first time?
5. What is the "machine to draw the world"?
6. According to Gopnik, how is pregnancy and childbirth viewed differently in France from the U.S.?
7. Describe the appearance of Cressida Taylor.
8. How does the new owner of the Balzar respond to the protesters?
9. Why don't people buy the one thousand outfits exhibited at the haute couture shows?
10. Why does Gopnik think that writing is sometimes a depressing job?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)