|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
(a) Telephone company workers.
(b) Police officers.
(c) The railroad workers.
(d) The sanitation workers.
2. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
3. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
(a) The Gucci show.
(b) The Yves St. Laurent show.
(c) The Valentio show.
(d) The Givenchy Show.
4. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
(a) Five hundred dollars a month.
(b) One thousand dollars a month.
(c) Five thousand dollars a month.
(d) Three thousand dollars a month.
5. What is the name of the French economist who claimed that the U.S. economy was stagnant?
(b) Bertrand Heloise.
(c) Philippe Sollers.
(d) Emmanuel Todd.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
2. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
3. How long did the jury deliberate in the Papon case?
4. Who wrote the treatise L'Horreur Economique?
5. When Gopnik sits on a panel in Distant Errors, who does the panel blame for the American dominance of culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
2. Why does the midwife advise Adam not to tell the cab driver that Martha is in labor when they go to the hospital?
3. How do the French regard fact checking?
4. How is Luke exposed to Barney for the first time?
5. What action do the other employees take when an employee is fired over the altercation with the British tourist in Trouble at the Tower?
6. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
7. What was the goal of the strikers in the chapter, The Strike?
8. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
9. How did the Cafe de Flore get its name?
10. What did Gopnik name his "two cafe problem" after?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)