|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Juppe in Private Domain?
2. What company was M. Meyssonier the president of?
(a) A telephone company.
(b) A mortgage lending company.
(c) An engineering firm.
(d) A sanitation company.
3. Which designer created a forest-like set in Couture Shock?
(c) Olivier Lapidus.
(d) Yves Saint Laurent.
4. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
(a) The railroad workers.
(b) Police officers.
(c) The sanitation workers.
(d) Telephone company workers.
5. Which publication first revealed that Juppe had leased an apartment from the domaine privee of the city of Paris?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) The weekly comic paper Le Canard Enchaine.
(c) Le Monde.
(d) The British paper, The Financial Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the post-structuralist philosopher that enjoys French cuisine?
2. What color of frame did the Gopniks frame their engraving of Paris to the Moon?
3. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
4. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
5. What is not one of the names suggested for the new stadium in The Rules of the Sport?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the French regard fact checking?
2. What was the goal of the strikers in the chapter, The Strike?
3. Why does the midwife advise Adam not to tell the cab driver that Martha is in labor when they go to the hospital?
4. How did the movement to lower the age of retirement begin in France in The Chill?
5. In Distant Errors, Christmas Journal 2, how does Gopnik feel about his experience of immigrating to Paris?
6. Why does Gopnik realize that trying to buy out the owner of the Balzar would be unsuccessful in A Handful of Cherries?
7. According to Gopnik, why do most people love Paris?
8. What unique action does Gopnik observe at the Valentino show in Paris?
9. What does interest in sports identify a Frenchman as?
10. What prompts Gopnik to invent the bedtime story of The Rookie for his son Luke?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)