|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) Stones on his walkman.
(b) He listens to the conversation of those working out around him.
(c) He listens to a book on tape.
(d) He watches CNN on the television.
2. In what way was Gopnik worried that the strike would affect his life in the chapter The Strike?
(a) He was worried he wouldn't be able to use the metro for his daily commute.
(b) He was worried his apartment would be vandalized.
(c) He was worried that his telephone service would be interrupted.
(d) He was worried he would not receive a turkey he had ordered.
3. What nationality was the tourist that got off on the first platform rather than the second in Trouble at the Tower?
4. What color of track suits do the employees of Adam's gym wear?
5. What restaurant does Gopnik attend at the end of The Crisis of French Cooking where he has a wonderful French meal?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paris look at the time of the strike in the chapter, The Strike?
2. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
3. What does Luke like to do outside the toy store on the boulevard Saint-Germain?
4. Which designer created a forest-like set in Couture Shock?
5. What color is the marquee of the Cafe Deux Magots?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of reaction does Alice have towards vegetables at the market?
2. What does Gopnik mean by the phrase "the law of Inverse Natural Appeal" in A Tale of Two Cafes?
3. According to Gopnik, what purpose does soccer have?
4. What request does Jerome Meyssonier make when he agrees to be taken hostage in The Chill?
5. What action do the other employees take when an employee is fired over the altercation with the British tourist in Trouble at the Tower?
6. Why does Gopnik object to more transparency in France?
7. What prompts Gopnik to invent the bedtime story of The Rookie for his son Luke?
8. Why does the midwife advise Adam not to tell the cab driver that Martha is in labor when they go to the hospital?
9. Why wouldn't the Rookie have fought in WWI?
10. What was the goal of the strikers in the chapter, The Strike?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)