|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
(a) He needed to take an exam proving his language abilities.
(b) He needed to undergo a physical.
(c) He needed to have his photograph taken.
(d) He need to pay an outstanding parking ticket.
2. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
(a) A series of cuts in the stem marking the day it was cut.
(b) A wooden cross at the bottom that makes it difficult to water the tree.
(c) Real candles on the boughs.
(d) A nutcracker hidden in the boughs.
3. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
(a) One thousand dollars a month.
(b) Three thousand dollars a month.
(c) Five hundred dollars a month.
(d) Five thousand dollars a month.
4. Where are most of the fashion shows held in Couture Shock?
5. What do the students want to achieve from their strike?
(a) They want better health benefits.
(b) They want smaller classes and more government subsidies.
(c) They want more guaranteed jobs after graduation.
(d) They want more government housing options for students and newer buildings on college campuses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adam have to undergo before he was allowed to work out on the machines at this gym?
2. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
3. What nationality was the tourist that got off on the first platform rather than the second in Trouble at the Tower?
4. What is the title of the daily sports paper in France?
5. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "machine to draw the world"?
2. What request did Claude Blanchot make to the association of Balzar supporters in A Handful of Cherries?
3. What prompts Gopnik to invent the bedtime story of The Rookie for his son Luke?
4. What game do the older children play at the carousel at the Luxembourg Gardens.
5. How did the Cafe de Flore get its name?
6. What happens when Gopnik decides to finish the Rookie story?
7. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
8. What prominent American trial does Gopnik compare Papon's trial with?
9. Describe the Ritz pool.
10. Why don't people buy the one thousand outfits exhibited at the haute couture shows?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)