|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What company was M. Meyssonier the president of?
(a) A sanitation company.
(b) An engineering firm.
(c) A mortgage lending company.
(d) A telephone company.
2. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) He watches CNN on the television.
(b) Stones on his walkman.
(c) He listens to a book on tape.
(d) He listens to the conversation of those working out around him.
3. Where was the Givenchy show held in Couture Shock?
(a) In the Louvre.
(b) In a stadium.
(c) At the George V.
(d) In the Luxembourg Gardens.
4. What does Nisha's spouse do for a job?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a chef.
(c) He is a chauffeur.
(d) He is a professor.
5. What was the profession of Gopnik's parents?
(a) They were artists.
(b) They were both writers.
(c) They were chefs.
(d) They were college professors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Adam and Nicole eat at Cafe de Flores in A Tale of Two Cafes?
2. How did the prosecution consider Papon's sentence?
3. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
4. What is the name of the bill supported by Le Pen which would have required people inform police if they had a foreign guest?
5. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gopnik describe Alice?
2. According to Gopnik, how do the French feel about American-style sports and stadiums?
3. How did the Cafe de Flore get its name?
4. What does interest in sports identify a Frenchman as?
5. According to Gopnik, what keeps France functioning and unified?
6. After Luke is born, what motivates Gopnik to move to Paris sooner rather than later?
7. Describe the ancient carousel in the Luxembourg Gardens.
8. What do Gopnik and Quelin discuss in their dinner together?
9. What does Gopnik think is the sublime moment in cooking?
10. What happens when Gopnik decides to finish the Rookie story?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)