|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) He listens to the conversation of those working out around him.
(b) Stones on his walkman.
(c) He watches CNN on the television.
(d) He listens to a book on tape.
2. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
(a) It is made by France Telecom in France.
(b) It is a U.S. machine he brought over.
(c) It is made in Sweden.
(d) It is made in China.
3. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
(a) From the lady who keeps the striped-pajama boutique.
(b) From the street sweeper.
(c) In the newspaper, Le Monde.
(d) From the television.
4. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
(a) Christian Lacroix.
(b) Yves Saint Laurent.
(d) Olivier Lapidus.
5. How many good soccer teams does Paris have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
2. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
3. How many haute couture shows were in Paris in Couture Shock?
4. What is the name of Adam's cousin who had fled Paris for London and made a small fortune in banking?
5. What company was M. Meyssonier the president of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wouldn't the Rookie have fought in WWI?
2. According to Gopnik, how is pregnancy and childbirth viewed differently in France from the U.S.?
3. Describe the engraving, Paris to the Moon, that Gopnik and his wife buy in Paris.
4. Why does the midwife advise Adam not to tell the cab driver that Martha is in labor when they go to the hospital?
5. What does Gopnik think is the sublime moment in cooking?
6. What game does Adam play with Luke at the Ritz pool?
7. What was the goal of the strikers in the chapter, The Strike?
8. How does Gopnik describe Alice?
9. Why does Gopnik think that Prime Minister Alain Juppe was probably relieved by the Islamic terrorist bombing in Private Domain?
10. According to Gopnik in "Paris to the Moon", how have Americans through the generations regarded Paris?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)