|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the prosecution consider Papon's sentence?
(a) They saw it as a victory for bringing down a powerful man.
(b) They saw it as a complete failure as he was not sentenced to death.
(c) The were shocked by its outcome.
(d) They were indifferent to the sentence because the trial was more important than its outcome.
2. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
(a) He needed to take an exam proving his language abilities.
(b) He need to pay an outstanding parking ticket.
(c) He needed to have his photograph taken.
(d) He needed to undergo a physical.
3. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
4. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
(a) Sex and food.
(b) Hunting and food.
(c) Books and music.
(d) Work and food.
5. How long did the jury deliberate in the Papon case?
(a) All night.
(b) One hour.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Papon accused of during his trial?
2. How many haute couture shows were in Paris in Couture Shock?
3. How does the taxidermy shop make most of its money in Winter Circus?
4. What is the title of the daily sports paper in France?
5. What year did Gopnik enjoy his first stay in Paris for one year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observation does Gopnik make about French weather reports compared to those of an American place?
2. According to Gopnik, what purpose does soccer have?
3. In Distant Errors, Christmas Journal 2, how does Gopnik feel about his experience of immigrating to Paris?
4. Describe the ancient carousel in the Luxembourg Gardens.
5. After Luke is born, what motivates Gopnik to move to Paris sooner rather than later?
6. What does Gopnik think the strike illustrates about the French way of coping with difficulties?
7. How does Gopnik regard soccer at the beginning of The World Cup.
8. How does Gopnik describe the video personality, Barney?
9. What does Gopnik mean by the phrase "the law of Inverse Natural Appeal" in A Tale of Two Cafes?
10. What type of reaction does Alice have towards vegetables at the market?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)