|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't Adam and Nicole eat at Cafe de Flores in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) It is unfashionable.
(b) There aren't any tables available.
(c) Nicole does not like the food.
(d) It is too expensive.
2. What food does Gopnik miss more than any other American food in Distant Errors?
(c) A bran muffin.
3. What is the title of the daily sports paper in France?
(b) Le Monde.
(c) Le Sports.
4. Which area of Paris does Gopnik find his apartment in?
(a) He isn't able to find an apartment in Paris and moves to the suburbs.
(b) The Fourth Arrondissment.
(c) The Seventh Arrondissement.
(d) The Sixth Arrondissement.
5. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
(a) A series of cuts in the stem marking the day it was cut.
(b) Real candles on the boughs.
(c) A nutcracker hidden in the boughs.
(d) A wooden cross at the bottom that makes it difficult to water the tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentence was Papon given by the jury?
2. What percentage of the population was in favor of stopping work at fifty-five in The Chill?
3. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
4. Where is Adam attending the Baudrillard seminar in Winter Circus?
5. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gopnik regard soccer at the beginning of The World Cup.
2. What prompts Gopnik to invent the bedtime story of The Rookie for his son Luke?
3. What idea does Alice have for a restaurant in the Louvre?
4. How did the Cafe de Flore get its name?
5. What are the complaints of the waiters of the Balzar restaurant in A Handful of Cherries?
6. What is the "machine to draw the world"?
7. According to Gopnik, why do most people love Paris?
8. Why does Gopnik think that writing is sometimes a depressing job?
9. How does the new owner of the Balzar respond to the protesters?
10. How did the movement to lower the age of retirement begin in France in The Chill?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)