|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
(a) Grilled Salmon.
(b) Pommes frites.
(d) Croque Monsieur.
2. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) Bill Clinton.
(c) Joseph McCarthy.
(d) George Bush.
3. What position did the Rookie play?
(a) Short stop.
(b) First Baseman.
4. Where is the Rookie from?
(a) New York, USA.
(b) Anywhere, USA.
(c) Somwhere, France.
(d) Paris, France.
5. What does Martha's doctor tell her to do when she is gaining weight in her pregnancy?
(a) Just worry about losing the weight after the baby comes.
(b) Go on long walks.
(c) Eat only fruit and vegetables.
(d) Stop eating and start swimming.
6. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) A room at the film school.
(b) The Cafe de Flores.
(c) The Balzar.
(d) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
7. What ability does the Rookie have when he is discovered?
(a) He can throw stones with surprising accuracy.
(b) He can see a fly from one hundred yards away.
(c) He can run faster than boys twice his age.
(d) He can catch all types of balls.
8. What is the name of the man who purchases the Balzar?
(a) Jacques Chirac.
(b) Jean-Paul Bucher.
(c) Lorenzo Vaentin.
(d) Christophe Berdonne.
9. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
(a) Clinique Saint-Isabelle.
(b) Clinique de Liberite.
(c) Clinique Saint Cloude.
(d) Clinique Marie.
10. Why is Alice in Paris?
(a) She is learning a new pastry technique.
(b) She is visiting Adam.
(c) She is opening a restaurant at the Louvre.
(d) She is a receiving an award.
11. Which is not one of the players for the French soccer team mentioned in The World Cup?
12. How much money does Gopnik agree to commit to the Friends of the Balzar to keep the brasserie open?
(a) 50 dollar.
(b) 500 dollars.
(c) 1000 dollars.
(d) 100 dollars.
13. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
(a) Because she is excited for the longer French hospital stay.
(b) Because her friends in New York all have two boys.
(c) Because she dislikes the hospitals in New York.
(d) Because she wants an excuse to name her daughter Paris.
14. What drug does Gopnik compare Barney to?
15. How does Gopnik usually begin cooking?
(a) By peeling potatoes.
(b) By chopping onions.
(c) By creating a broth.
(d) By drinking a glass of wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
2. What is the name of the batter who ties himself into a knot?
3. When the clinic is locked upon the Gopnik's arrival, who opens the door?
4. Which is not one of the girls from Luke's two-year old gym class mentioned in Barney?
5. Who bathes the baby in Like a King?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)