|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound awakens Gopnik on his first morning at home on the Left Bank?
(a) The neighbors listening to Mozart.
(b) The sound of organ music.
(c) The drum of the city traffic.
(d) The humm of the French radio.
2. Who bathes the baby in Like a King?
(a) The doctor.
(c) Adam and the nurse.
3. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) The Balzar.
(b) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
(c) A room at the film school.
(d) The Cafe de Flores.
4. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
5. What drug does Gopnik compare Barney to?
6. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) Christy Matthewson.
(b) J. Reuben Meyers.
(c) Babe Ruth.
(d) John J. McGraw.
7. What is the name of the young publisher who gives a speech at the Balzar that gets media coverage?
(a) Jacques D'Artere.
(b) Andre Bertillini.
(c) Lorenzo Valentin.
(d) Maurice Revelli.
8. What movies does Luke form an attachment to in Barney?
(a) Charlie Chaplin Films.
(b) Lucky Luke.
9. What was the theme song of the victorious soccer team?
(a) We Will Rock You.
(b) Queen's We Are the Champions.
(c) We Stand Triumphant.
(d) La Marseillaise.
10. Where is Alice Waters from originally?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
11. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) George Bush.
(b) Joseph McCarthy.
(d) Bill Clinton.
12. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
(a) Antoine Jacobsohn.
(b) Elise Chartreuse.
(c) Susan Herrmann Loomis.
(d) His wife Martha.
13. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
(a) New mitts and baseball bats.
(b) A collection of baseball cards.
(c) A PBS series on baseball.
(d) A video game of baseball.
14. Why is Alice in Paris?
(a) She is visiting Adam.
(b) She is learning a new pastry technique.
(c) She is opening a restaurant at the Louvre.
(d) She is a receiving an award.
15. What does Bucher offer the waiters who leave the Balzar.
(a) He offers them nothing.
(b) He offers them a position in one of his other restaurants.
(c) He offers them a reccommendation.
(d) A fat envelope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What team does the Rookie begin to play for?
2. What does Gopnik drink during his lunch with Quelin?
3. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
4. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
5. What advice does Martha's doctor give her for after the baby arrives?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)