|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the Rookie when he is discovered in 1908?
2. What was the theme song of the victorious soccer team?
(a) We Will Rock You.
(b) La Marseillaise.
(c) Queen's We Are the Champions.
(d) We Stand Triumphant.
3. At the end of The Rookie, what does Luke ask for, for his birthday?
(a) A dog.
(b) A beret.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) An ID card marked as a press pass from the government.
4. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
(a) Clinique Marie.
(b) Clinique de Liberite.
(c) Clinique Saint-Isabelle.
(d) Clinique Saint Cloude.
5. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) Bill Clinton.
(b) Joseph McCarthy.
(c) George Bush.
6. What bothers Gopnik most about soccer?
(a) The lack of action.
(b) The faking of injuries.
(c) The commentators.
(d) The low scores.
7. What movies does Luke form an attachment to in Barney?
(b) Lucky Luke.
(d) Charlie Chaplin Films.
8. What is the most important lesson Gopnik has learned in Paris.
(a) He has learned to cook.
(b) He has learned how to dress fashionably.
(c) He has learned to speak French.
(d) He has learned to navigate the metro.
9. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
(a) A video game of baseball.
(b) New mitts and baseball bats.
(c) A collection of baseball cards.
(d) A PBS series on baseball.
10. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) The Cafe de Flores.
(b) A room at the film school.
(c) The Balzar.
(d) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
11. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
(a) They don't want to openly ruin their arrangement with Bucher.
(b) They don't want their favorite restaurant to be closed.
(c) They are worried about retaliation.
(d) They do not feel that it will work.
12. Which is not one of the girls from Luke's two-year old gym class mentioned in Barney?
13. What surprise do the Gopnik's receive at Christmas in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) They find a new apartment.
(b) They are given a dog.
(c) Their grandparents come for a surpise visit.
(d) They find out they are expecting a baby.
14. What is the name of the batter who ties himself into a knot?
(a) Horrible Howard Blowsky.
(b) Jesse the Great.
(c) Terrible Ty Cobb.
(d) Big Babe Ruth.
15. Why does Adam have to go back to the apartment before Martha can receive an epidural?
(a) He needed to get the telephone number for Martha's New York physician.
(b) He needed Martha's identification cards.
(c) Martha wanted Luke to be present.
(d) He had left the paperwork there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
2. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
3. What response do Luke's French friend have to Barney?
4. What does Bucher offer the waiters who leave the Balzar.
5. What team does the Rookie begin to play for?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)