|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
(a) A gigantic soccer ball float carrying French school children.
(b) A large marching band.
(c) Four inflatable dolls representing different nationallities.
(d) A procession of famous soccer players.
2. What is the name of the American author of the cookbook, which includes some recipes from the Balzar?
(a) Pierce Avery.
(b) Philip Chance.
(c) William Jones.
(d) Daniel Young.
3. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) J. Reuben Meyers.
(c) John J. McGraw.
(d) Christy Matthewson.
4. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
(a) New mitts and baseball bats.
(b) A collection of baseball cards.
(c) A PBS series on baseball.
(d) A video game of baseball.
5. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
(a) Because her friends in New York all have two boys.
(b) Because she dislikes the hospitals in New York.
(c) Because she wants an excuse to name her daughter Paris.
(d) Because she is excited for the longer French hospital stay.
6. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Stephane Mallarme.
(c) Victor Hugo.
(d) Guillaume Apollinaire.
7. Who calls and tells Gopnik that things are not going well with the Balzar in A Handful of Cherries?
8. According to Gopnik, what is the unforgiving idol of New York?
(d) The Office.
9. What request did the Gopniks make from a Chinese restaurant that charmed the management?
(a) They ask for a picture with the chef.
(b) They request a recipe for their orange flavored chicken.
(c) They ask them to host Luke's birthday party.
(d) They ask for take out to be prepared for them.
10. What is the name of the young publisher who gives a speech at the Balzar that gets media coverage?
(a) Maurice Revelli.
(b) Andre Bertillini.
(c) Jacques D'Artere.
(d) Lorenzo Valentin.
11. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
(a) Clinique Saint-Isabelle.
(b) Clinique de Liberite.
(c) Clinique Saint Cloude.
(d) Clinique Marie.
12. What mistake does Gopnik make while decorating the Christmas tree in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) He puts the branches through the lights rather than tying them on.
(b) He hangs the ornaments upside down.
(c) He leaves off the angel.
(d) He hangs lights that do not work.
13. What is the name of the man who purchases the Balzar?
(a) Christophe Berdonne.
(b) Lorenzo Vaentin.
(c) Jean-Paul Bucher.
(d) Jacques Chirac.
14. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) A room at the film school.
(b) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
(c) The Cafe de Flores.
(d) The Balzar.
15. What drug does Gopnik compare Barney to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Martha's doctor give her for after the baby arrives?
2. What movies does Luke form an attachment to in Barney?
3. What news do the Gopnik's receive in April in A Machine to draw the World?
4. When the clinic is locked upon the Gopnik's arrival, who opens the door?
5. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)