|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Adam have to go back to the apartment before Martha can receive an epidural?
(a) Martha wanted Luke to be present.
(b) He had left the paperwork there.
(c) He needed Martha's identification cards.
(d) He needed to get the telephone number for Martha's New York physician.
2. At the end of The Rookie, what does Luke ask for, for his birthday?
(a) An ID card marked as a press pass from the government.
(b) A baseball bat.
(c) A beret.
(d) A dog.
3. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) George Bush.
(c) Joseph McCarthy.
(d) Bill Clinton.
4. Where is Alice Waters from originally?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
5. How many waiters did the Balzar have?
6. Which is not one of the girls from Luke's two-year old gym class mentioned in Barney?
7. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
8. What is the name of the young publisher who gives a speech at the Balzar that gets media coverage?
(a) Maurice Revelli.
(b) Jacques D'Artere.
(c) Andre Bertillini.
(d) Lorenzo Valentin.
9. Where is the Rookie from?
(a) New York, USA.
(b) Anywhere, USA.
(c) Somwhere, France.
(d) Paris, France.
10. According to Gopnik, what is the unforgiving idol of New York?
(d) The Office.
11. What sickness does Luke contract in A Machine to Draw the World?
(b) Scarlet fever.
12. How long does Gopnik braise a lamb for, when he prepares dinner for Waters?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Seven hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Sixteen hours.
13. Where did Alice own a restaurant prior to her visit to France?
(d) New York.
14. What mistake does Gopnik make while decorating the Christmas tree in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) He leaves off the angel.
(b) He hangs the ornaments upside down.
(c) He hangs lights that do not work.
(d) He puts the branches through the lights rather than tying them on.
15. What is the name of the restaurant where the waiters invite Gopnik to dinner after they have left the Balzar?
(a) Relais Beaujolais.
(b) Cafe du Porte.
(c) Le Mignon.
(d) Place Sansuit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the Rookie when he is discovered in 1908?
2. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
3. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
4. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
5. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)