|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the restaurant that Gopnik dreams about opening that would only serve game?
(a) La Chanson.
(b) Sur le Toit.
(c) Le Lavigne.
(d) Les Fauves.
2. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
(a) Stephane Mallarme.
(b) T.S. Eliot.
(c) Victor Hugo.
(d) Guillaume Apollinaire.
3. What is the most important lesson Gopnik has learned in Paris.
(a) He has learned how to dress fashionably.
(b) He has learned to speak French.
(c) He has learned to cook.
(d) He has learned to navigate the metro.
4. How old is the Rookie when he is discovered in 1908?
5. Where is the Rookie from?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Anywhere, USA.
(c) New York, USA.
(d) Somwhere, France.
6. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) Joseph McCarthy.
(c) Bill Clinton.
(d) George Bush.
7. What surprise do the Gopnik's receive at Christmas in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) They find a new apartment.
(b) They find out they are expecting a baby.
(c) Their grandparents come for a surpise visit.
(d) They are given a dog.
8. What is the name of the American author of the cookbook, which includes some recipes from the Balzar?
(a) Daniel Young.
(b) William Jones.
(c) Pierce Avery.
(d) Philip Chance.
9. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
(a) The doctor.
(d) The nurse.
10. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
(a) They are worried about retaliation.
(b) They do not feel that it will work.
(c) They don't want to openly ruin their arrangement with Bucher.
(d) They don't want their favorite restaurant to be closed.
11. What was the theme song of the victorious soccer team?
(a) We Will Rock You.
(b) Queen's We Are the Champions.
(c) We Stand Triumphant.
(d) La Marseillaise.
12. What does Martha's doctor tell her to do when she is gaining weight in her pregnancy?
(a) Just worry about losing the weight after the baby comes.
(b) Go on long walks.
(c) Eat only fruit and vegetables.
(d) Stop eating and start swimming.
13. Where does Adam go to fill out the birth certificate for Olivia?
(a) The nurse gives him a form at the hospital.
(b) He has to fax in forms to New York.
(c) He goes to the main administration building in Paris.
(d) City Hall.
14. What is the name of the man who purchases the Balzar?
(a) Jacques Chirac.
(b) Christophe Berdonne.
(c) Lorenzo Vaentin.
(d) Jean-Paul Bucher.
15. How long does Gopnik braise a lamb for, when he prepares dinner for Waters?
(a) Sixteen hours.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Seven hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Alice Waters from originally?
2. What news do the Gopnik's receive in April in A Machine to draw the World?
3. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
4. What team does the Rookie begin to play for?
5. What doesn't Luke like on his hamburger?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)