|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
(a) He carcasses of meat scare him.
(b) He does not like the smell.
(c) He loves to play hopscotch outside the store instead.
(d) He is afraid of the Butcher.
2. What request did the Gopniks make from a Chinese restaurant that charmed the management?
(a) They request a recipe for their orange flavored chicken.
(b) They ask for take out to be prepared for them.
(c) They ask them to host Luke's birthday party.
(d) They ask for a picture with the chef.
3. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
(a) Antoine Jacobsohn.
(b) His wife Martha.
(c) Elise Chartreuse.
(d) Susan Herrmann Loomis.
4. What does Martha's doctor tell her to do when she is gaining weight in her pregnancy?
(a) Go on long walks.
(b) Stop eating and start swimming.
(c) Eat only fruit and vegetables.
(d) Just worry about losing the weight after the baby comes.
5. What drug does Gopnik compare Barney to?
6. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
7. What does Bucher offer the waiters who leave the Balzar.
(a) A fat envelope.
(b) He offers them nothing.
(c) He offers them a reccommendation.
(d) He offers them a position in one of his other restaurants.
8. How old is the Rookie when he is discovered in 1908?
9. What is the name of the American author of the cookbook, which includes some recipes from the Balzar?
(a) Philip Chance.
(b) Pierce Avery.
(c) William Jones.
(d) Daniel Young.
10. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) The Balzar.
(b) The Cafe de Flores.
(c) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
(d) A room at the film school.
11. How long does Gopnik braise a lamb for, when he prepares dinner for Waters?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Sixteen hours.
(d) Seven hours.
12. Why is Alice in Paris?
(a) She is opening a restaurant at the Louvre.
(b) She is visiting Adam.
(c) She is learning a new pastry technique.
(d) She is a receiving an award.
13. What color do all the obstetricians in Paris wear?
14. Why does Adam have to go back to the apartment before Martha can receive an epidural?
(a) He needed Martha's identification cards.
(b) Martha wanted Luke to be present.
(c) He had left the paperwork there.
(d) He needed to get the telephone number for Martha's New York physician.
15. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the English restaurateur that Bucher threatens to sell the Balzar to?
2. Which is not one of the players for the French soccer team mentioned in The World Cup?
3. Where did Gopnik first hear the term "lessons from things."
4. Who calls and tells Gopnik that things are not going well with the Balzar in A Handful of Cherries?
5. When the clinic is locked upon the Gopnik's arrival, who opens the door?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)