|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
(a) A PBS series on baseball.
(b) A collection of baseball cards.
(c) New mitts and baseball bats.
(d) A video game of baseball.
2. What is the most important lesson Gopnik has learned in Paris.
(a) He has learned how to dress fashionably.
(b) He has learned to speak French.
(c) He has learned to navigate the metro.
(d) He has learned to cook.
3. What bothers Gopnik most about soccer?
(a) The faking of injuries.
(b) The low scores.
(c) The commentators.
(d) The lack of action.
4. How much money does Gopnik agree to commit to the Friends of the Balzar to keep the brasserie open?
(a) 1000 dollars.
(b) 500 dollars.
(c) 50 dollar.
(d) 100 dollars.
5. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
(a) The nurse.
(b) The doctor.
6. What mistake does Gopnik make while decorating the Christmas tree in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) He leaves off the angel.
(b) He puts the branches through the lights rather than tying them on.
(c) He hangs the ornaments upside down.
(d) He hangs lights that do not work.
7. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
(a) Because she is excited for the longer French hospital stay.
(b) Because she wants an excuse to name her daughter Paris.
(c) Because she dislikes the hospitals in New York.
(d) Because her friends in New York all have two boys.
8. What team does the Rookie begin to play for?
(a) The New York Giants.
(b) The Boston Red Socks.
(c) The Los Angeles Dodgers.
(d) The St. Louis Cardinals.
9. What is the name of the American author of the cookbook, which includes some recipes from the Balzar?
(a) Pierce Avery.
(b) William Jones.
(c) Daniel Young.
(d) Philip Chance.
10. What position did the Rookie play?
(b) Short stop.
(d) First Baseman.
11. What is Gopnik's opinion of Mitterrand's grand projects such as the library?
(a) He is awestruck by them.
(b) He finds them very homey.
(c) He is indifferent to them.
(d) They do not impress him.
12. What was the theme song of the victorious soccer team?
(a) La Marseillaise.
(b) We Will Rock You.
(c) Queen's We Are the Champions.
(d) We Stand Triumphant.
13. How many waiters did the Balzar have?
14. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
(a) Four inflatable dolls representing different nationallities.
(b) A procession of famous soccer players.
(c) A large marching band.
(d) A gigantic soccer ball float carrying French school children.
15. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) J. Reuben Meyers.
(b) Christy Matthewson.
(c) Babe Ruth.
(d) John J. McGraw.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Rookie from?
2. What news do the Gopnik's receive in April in A Machine to draw the World?
3. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
4. What is the name of the man who purchases the Balzar?
5. Where do the Gopnik's spend the month of August while they live in Paris?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)