|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mistake does Gopnik make while decorating the Christmas tree in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) He puts the branches through the lights rather than tying them on.
(b) He hangs lights that do not work.
(c) He leaves off the angel.
(d) He hangs the ornaments upside down.
2. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
(a) Pommes frites.
(c) Croque Monsieur.
(d) Grilled Salmon.
3. What goal does Gopnik set in The World Cup?
(a) To learn every players name on the French team.
(b) To watch the entire World Cup tournament.
(c) To attend at least one game of the World Cup.
(d) To study the history of soccer before the end of the tournament.
4. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
5. What request did the Gopniks make from a Chinese restaurant that charmed the management?
(a) They ask for a picture with the chef.
(b) They request a recipe for their orange flavored chicken.
(c) They ask for take out to be prepared for them.
(d) They ask them to host Luke's birthday party.
6. Where does Adam go to fill out the birth certificate for Olivia?
(a) He has to fax in forms to New York.
(b) City Hall.
(c) The nurse gives him a form at the hospital.
(d) He goes to the main administration building in Paris.
7. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
(a) A video game of baseball.
(b) New mitts and baseball bats.
(c) A PBS series on baseball.
(d) A collection of baseball cards.
8. What do the Gopnik's receive when they leave the sonogram visit?
(a) A calendar.
(b) A small stapled album of images of the fetus.
(c) A box of truffles.
(d) An outfit for the baby.
9. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) J. Reuben Meyers.
(b) Christy Matthewson.
(c) Babe Ruth.
(d) John J. McGraw.
10. How many weeks of vacation are the French people guaranteed by law?
11. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
(a) He loves to play hopscotch outside the store instead.
(b) He is afraid of the Butcher.
(c) He does not like the smell.
(d) He carcasses of meat scare him.
12. What does Bucher offer the waiters who leave the Balzar.
(a) A fat envelope.
(b) He offers them nothing.
(c) He offers them a reccommendation.
(d) He offers them a position in one of his other restaurants.
13. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
(b) The nurse.
(c) The doctor.
14. What surprise do the Gopnik's receive at Christmas in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) They find a new apartment.
(b) Their grandparents come for a surpise visit.
(c) They are given a dog.
(d) They find out they are expecting a baby.
15. What was the theme song of the victorious soccer team?
(a) Queen's We Are the Champions.
(b) We Stand Triumphant.
(c) La Marseillaise.
(d) We Will Rock You.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug does Gopnik compare Barney to?
2. Which is not one of the girls from Luke's two-year old gym class mentioned in Barney?
3. What is the name of the batter who ties himself into a knot?
4. Where did Alice own a restaurant prior to her visit to France?
5. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)