|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many waiters did the Balzar have?
2. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
(a) Guillaume Apollinaire.
(b) Victor Hugo.
(c) Stephane Mallarme.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
3. At the end of The Rookie, what does Luke ask for, for his birthday?
(a) A beret.
(b) A dog.
(c) An ID card marked as a press pass from the government.
(d) A baseball bat.
4. How many weeks of vacation are the French people guaranteed by law?
5. Where is the Rookie from?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) New York, USA.
(c) Anywhere, USA.
(d) Somwhere, France.
6. What news do the Gopnik's receive in April in A Machine to draw the World?
(a) They are told they are expecting a baby.
(b) They find out Gopnik's job is being disolved.
(c) They are told they have three months to move.
(d) They find out Luke has a terminal illness.
7. What bothers Gopnik most about soccer?
(a) The commentators.
(b) The faking of injuries.
(c) The lack of action.
(d) The low scores.
8. What is the name of the man who purchases the Balzar?
(a) Lorenzo Vaentin.
(b) Jean-Paul Bucher.
(c) Jacques Chirac.
(d) Christophe Berdonne.
9. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
(a) Elise Chartreuse.
(b) Antoine Jacobsohn.
(c) Susan Herrmann Loomis.
(d) His wife Martha.
10. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
(b) The nurse.
(d) The doctor.
11. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) Joseph McCarthy.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) George Bush.
12. How long does Gopnik braise a lamb for, when he prepares dinner for Waters?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Seven hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Sixteen hours.
13. What is the name of the English restaurateur that Bucher threatens to sell the Balzar to?
(a) Hal Davis.
(b) Hugh Potts.
(c) Kingsly Devon.
(d) Terrence Conran.
14. What does Bucher offer the waiters who leave the Balzar.
(a) He offers them a reccommendation.
(b) He offers them nothing.
(c) A fat envelope.
(d) He offers them a position in one of his other restaurants.
15. What does Adam and Martha miss about New York in The Rookie?
(a) The newspapers.
(b) The carrot cake.
(c) Central Park.
(d) The consensual anonymity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Alice own a restaurant prior to her visit to France?
2. What advice does Martha's doctor give her for after the baby arrives?
3. Who bathes the baby in Like a King?
4. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
5. What position did the Rookie play?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)