|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who bathes the baby in Like a King?
(b) The doctor.
(c) Adam and the nurse.
2. What position did the Rookie play?
(c) Short stop.
(d) First Baseman.
3. What do the Gopnik's receive when they leave the sonogram visit?
(a) An outfit for the baby.
(b) A small stapled album of images of the fetus.
(c) A box of truffles.
(d) A calendar.
4. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
(a) Victor Hugo.
(b) Stephane Mallarme.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) Guillaume Apollinaire.
5. Which is not one of the girls from Luke's two-year old gym class mentioned in Barney?
6. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
(a) Clinique Saint-Isabelle.
(b) Clinique de Liberite.
(c) Clinique Marie.
(d) Clinique Saint Cloude.
7. What response do Luke's French friend have to Barney?
(a) They refuse to watch him.
(b) They are completely indifferent to him.
(c) They hate him.
(d) They like him.
8. What does Martha's doctor tell her to do when she is gaining weight in her pregnancy?
(a) Eat only fruit and vegetables.
(b) Just worry about losing the weight after the baby comes.
(c) Go on long walks.
(d) Stop eating and start swimming.
9. Where is the Rookie from?
(a) Somwhere, France.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) New York, USA.
(d) Anywhere, USA.
10. What profession does Antoine Jacobsohn hold?
(a) He is an agricultural scientist.
(b) He is a food critic.
(c) He is a restaurant owner.
(d) He is a chef.
11. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) A room at the film school.
(b) The Balzar.
(c) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
(d) The Cafe de Flores.
12. What is the name of the young publisher who gives a speech at the Balzar that gets media coverage?
(a) Maurice Revelli.
(b) Jacques D'Artere.
(c) Lorenzo Valentin.
(d) Andre Bertillini.
13. What movies does Luke form an attachment to in Barney?
(b) Charlie Chaplin Films.
(c) Lucky Luke.
14. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) John J. McGraw.
(c) Christy Matthewson.
(d) J. Reuben Meyers.
15. Where do the Gopnik's spend the month of August while they live in Paris?
(a) In the south of France.
(b) Back home in America.
(c) They like to stay in Paris and observe the tourists.
(d) In England.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the Rookie when he is discovered in 1908?
2. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
3. According to Gopnik, what is the unforgiving idol of New York?
4. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
5. What does the Rookie sprinkle on his ball to keep anyone from hitting it?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)