|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What movies does Luke form an attachment to in Barney?
(a) Lucky Luke.
(b) Charlie Chaplin Films.
2. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
(a) Clinique Marie.
(b) Clinique Saint-Isabelle.
(c) Clinique de Liberite.
(d) Clinique Saint Cloude.
3. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
(a) A collection of baseball cards.
(b) A PBS series on baseball.
(c) A video game of baseball.
(d) New mitts and baseball bats.
4. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) J. Reuben Meyers.
(b) John J. McGraw.
(c) Christy Matthewson.
(d) Babe Ruth.
5. Why does Adam have to go back to the apartment before Martha can receive an epidural?
(a) He needed to get the telephone number for Martha's New York physician.
(b) He needed Martha's identification cards.
(c) Martha wanted Luke to be present.
(d) He had left the paperwork there.
6. What mistake does Gopnik make while decorating the Christmas tree in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) He hangs the ornaments upside down.
(b) He puts the branches through the lights rather than tying them on.
(c) He leaves off the angel.
(d) He hangs lights that do not work.
7. What is the name of the restaurant where the waiters invite Gopnik to dinner after they have left the Balzar?
(a) Cafe du Porte.
(b) Le Mignon.
(c) Relais Beaujolais.
(d) Place Sansuit.
8. What does Adam and Martha miss about New York in The Rookie?
(a) The consensual anonymity.
(b) The carrot cake.
(c) The newspapers.
(d) Central Park.
9. What bothers Gopnik most about soccer?
(a) The commentators.
(b) The low scores.
(c) The lack of action.
(d) The faking of injuries.
10. What surprise do the Gopnik's receive at Christmas in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) Their grandparents come for a surpise visit.
(b) They find out they are expecting a baby.
(c) They find a new apartment.
(d) They are given a dog.
11. What position did the Rookie play?
(c) Short stop.
(d) First Baseman.
12. What sickness does Luke contract in A Machine to Draw the World?
(c) Scarlet fever.
13. Where do the Gopnik's spend the month of August while they live in Paris?
(a) They like to stay in Paris and observe the tourists.
(b) Back home in America.
(c) In England.
(d) In the south of France.
14. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
(a) They are worried about retaliation.
(b) They don't want to openly ruin their arrangement with Bucher.
(c) They don't want their favorite restaurant to be closed.
(d) They do not feel that it will work.
15. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
(a) Pommes frites.
(b) Croque Monsieur.
(c) Grilled Salmon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
2. What ability does the Rookie have when he is discovered?
3. What advice does Martha's doctor give her for after the baby arrives?
4. Where does Adam go to fill out the birth certificate for Olivia?
5. What is the name of the English restaurateur that Bucher threatens to sell the Balzar to?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)