|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sickness does Luke contract in A Machine to Draw the World?
(b) Scarlet fever.
2. What bothers Gopnik most about soccer?
(a) The faking of injuries.
(b) The commentators.
(c) The lack of action.
(d) The low scores.
3. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
(a) Pommes frites.
(c) Croque Monsieur.
(d) Grilled Salmon.
4. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
(a) He is afraid of the Butcher.
(b) He does not like the smell.
(c) He carcasses of meat scare him.
(d) He loves to play hopscotch outside the store instead.
5. Where does Adam go to fill out the birth certificate for Olivia?
(a) The nurse gives him a form at the hospital.
(b) He goes to the main administration building in Paris.
(c) City Hall.
(d) He has to fax in forms to New York.
6. What is the name of the young publisher who gives a speech at the Balzar that gets media coverage?
(a) Andre Bertillini.
(b) Jacques D'Artere.
(c) Maurice Revelli.
(d) Lorenzo Valentin.
7. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
(a) Four inflatable dolls representing different nationallities.
(b) A gigantic soccer ball float carrying French school children.
(c) A procession of famous soccer players.
(d) A large marching band.
8. Where did Gopnik first hear the term "lessons from things."
(a) He heard it on the radio.
(b) It is a French school term.
(c) He heard it in the play Tartouffe.
(d) He read it in a novel.
9. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) Christy Matthewson.
(b) Babe Ruth.
(c) John J. McGraw.
(d) J. Reuben Meyers.
10. Who calls and tells Gopnik that things are not going well with the Balzar in A Handful of Cherries?
11. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) The Cafe de Flores.
(b) A room at the film school.
(c) The Balzar.
(d) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
12. How old is the Rookie when he is discovered in 1908?
13. What is Gopnik's opinion of Mitterrand's grand projects such as the library?
(a) He is awestruck by them.
(b) They do not impress him.
(c) He finds them very homey.
(d) He is indifferent to them.
14. What does Gopnik drink during his lunch with Quelin?
15. Where did Alice own a restaurant prior to her visit to France?
(a) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Antoine Jacobsohn hold?
2. What drug does Gopnik compare Barney to?
3. What is the name of the man who purchases the Balzar?
4. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
5. Where do the Gopnik's spend the month of August while they live in Paris?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)