|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
(a) They do not feel that it will work.
(b) They are worried about retaliation.
(c) They don't want to openly ruin their arrangement with Bucher.
(d) They don't want their favorite restaurant to be closed.
2. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
(a) He is afraid of the Butcher.
(b) He loves to play hopscotch outside the store instead.
(c) He does not like the smell.
(d) He carcasses of meat scare him.
3. What team does the Rookie begin to play for?
(a) The Boston Red Socks.
(b) The Los Angeles Dodgers.
(c) The St. Louis Cardinals.
(d) The New York Giants.
4. What does Gopnik drink during his lunch with Quelin?
5. What profession does Antoine Jacobsohn hold?
(a) He is a food critic.
(b) He is a restaurant owner.
(c) He is a chef.
(d) He is an agricultural scientist.
6. How many waiters did the Balzar have?
7. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
(a) Grilled Salmon.
(c) Pommes frites.
(d) Croque Monsieur.
8. What advice does Martha's doctor give her for after the baby arrives?
(a) Take a vacation.
(b) Get daily massages.
(c) Stay at home in the apartment for two weeks before going out.
(d) Get a night nurse.
9. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Stephane Mallarme.
(c) Guillaume Apollinaire.
(d) Victor Hugo.
10. What is the name of the American author of the cookbook, which includes some recipes from the Balzar?
(a) Daniel Young.
(b) William Jones.
(c) Pierce Avery.
(d) Philip Chance.
11. What doesn't Luke like on his hamburger?
12. What response do Luke's French friend have to Barney?
(a) They refuse to watch him.
(b) They hate him.
(c) They are completely indifferent to him.
(d) They like him.
13. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
(a) Susan Herrmann Loomis.
(b) His wife Martha.
(c) Antoine Jacobsohn.
(d) Elise Chartreuse.
14. Where do the Gopnik's spend the month of August while they live in Paris?
(a) In England.
(b) Back home in America.
(c) In the south of France.
(d) They like to stay in Paris and observe the tourists.
15. What position did the Rookie play?
(a) Short stop.
(c) First Baseman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Alice in Paris?
2. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
3. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
4. How many weeks of vacation are the French people guaranteed by law?
5. How much money does Gopnik agree to commit to the Friends of the Balzar to keep the brasserie open?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)