|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Gopnik first hear the term "lessons from things."
(a) He read it in a novel.
(b) It is a French school term.
(c) He heard it in the play Tartouffe.
(d) He heard it on the radio.
2. At the end of The Rookie, what does Luke ask for, for his birthday?
(a) A dog.
(b) An ID card marked as a press pass from the government.
(c) A beret.
(d) A baseball bat.
3. When the clinic is locked upon the Gopnik's arrival, who opens the door?
(a) The owner of the clinic.
(c) A janitor.
(d) A sleepy midwife.
4. Which is not one of the players for the French soccer team mentioned in The World Cup?
5. How many waiters did the Balzar have?
6. What position did the Rookie play?
(a) First Baseman.
(c) Short stop.
7. What sound awakens Gopnik on his first morning at home on the Left Bank?
(a) The humm of the French radio.
(b) The drum of the city traffic.
(c) The neighbors listening to Mozart.
(d) The sound of organ music.
8. What profession does Antoine Jacobsohn hold?
(a) He is a restaurant owner.
(b) He is a food critic.
(c) He is an agricultural scientist.
(d) He is a chef.
9. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) The Balzar.
(b) A room at the film school.
(c) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
(d) The Cafe de Flores.
10. Who bathes the baby in Like a King?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Adam and the nurse.
11. Where is Alice Waters from originally?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
12. What was the theme song of the victorious soccer team?
(a) We Stand Triumphant.
(b) La Marseillaise.
(c) We Will Rock You.
(d) Queen's We Are the Champions.
13. Who calls and tells Gopnik that things are not going well with the Balzar in A Handful of Cherries?
14. Why is Alice in Paris?
(a) She is learning a new pastry technique.
(b) She is a receiving an award.
(c) She is visiting Adam.
(d) She is opening a restaurant at the Louvre.
15. What bothers Gopnik most about soccer?
(a) The low scores.
(b) The lack of action.
(c) The faking of injuries.
(d) The commentators.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news do the Gopnik's receive in April in A Machine to draw the World?
2. What is the most important lesson Gopnik has learned in Paris.
3. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
4. What is Gopnik's opinion of Mitterrand's grand projects such as the library?
5. What response do Luke's French friend have to Barney?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)