|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many nations participate in the World Cup tournament?
2. What team does the Rookie begin to play for?
(a) The Boston Red Socks.
(b) The St. Louis Cardinals.
(c) The New York Giants.
(d) The Los Angeles Dodgers.
3. What request did the Gopniks make from a Chinese restaurant that charmed the management?
(a) They ask them to host Luke's birthday party.
(b) They ask for a picture with the chef.
(c) They request a recipe for their orange flavored chicken.
(d) They ask for take out to be prepared for them.
4. Where did Gopnik first hear the term "lessons from things."
(a) It is a French school term.
(b) He heard it on the radio.
(c) He read it in a novel.
(d) He heard it in the play Tartouffe.
5. When the clinic is locked upon the Gopnik's arrival, who opens the door?
(a) A janitor.
(b) A sleepy midwife.
(c) The owner of the clinic.
6. What is the name of the restaurant that Gopnik dreams about opening that would only serve game?
(a) Sur le Toit.
(b) Les Fauves.
(c) La Chanson.
(d) Le Lavigne.
7. What is the name of the batter who ties himself into a knot?
(a) Terrible Ty Cobb.
(b) Big Babe Ruth.
(c) Horrible Howard Blowsky.
(d) Jesse the Great.
8. What news do the Gopnik's receive in April in A Machine to draw the World?
(a) They find out Gopnik's job is being disolved.
(b) They are told they have three months to move.
(c) They are told they are expecting a baby.
(d) They find out Luke has a terminal illness.
9. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) Joseph McCarthy.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) George Bush.
10. What color do all the obstetricians in Paris wear?
11. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
(a) Because her friends in New York all have two boys.
(b) Because she wants an excuse to name her daughter Paris.
(c) Because she is excited for the longer French hospital stay.
(d) Because she dislikes the hospitals in New York.
12. What goal does Gopnik set in The World Cup?
(a) To watch the entire World Cup tournament.
(b) To study the history of soccer before the end of the tournament.
(c) To learn every players name on the French team.
(d) To attend at least one game of the World Cup.
13. What movies does Luke form an attachment to in Barney?
(a) Charlie Chaplin Films.
(c) Lucky Luke.
14. What is the name of the restaurant where the waiters invite Gopnik to dinner after they have left the Balzar?
(a) Place Sansuit.
(b) Relais Beaujolais.
(c) Cafe du Porte.
(d) Le Mignon.
15. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
(a) They are worried about retaliation.
(b) They don't want their favorite restaurant to be closed.
(c) They don't want to openly ruin their arrangement with Bucher.
(d) They do not feel that it will work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response do Luke's French friend have to Barney?
2. How many weeks of vacation are the French people guaranteed by law?
3. What drug does Gopnik compare Barney to?
4. What doesn't Luke like on his hamburger?
5. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)