|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha's doctor tell her to do when she is gaining weight in her pregnancy?
(a) Eat only fruit and vegetables.
(b) Just worry about losing the weight after the baby comes.
(c) Go on long walks.
(d) Stop eating and start swimming.
2. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) Joseph McCarthy.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(d) George Bush.
3. What is the name of the batter who ties himself into a knot?
(a) Big Babe Ruth.
(b) Jesse the Great.
(c) Terrible Ty Cobb.
(d) Horrible Howard Blowsky.
4. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
(a) Clinique de Liberite.
(b) Clinique Marie.
(c) Clinique Saint Cloude.
(d) Clinique Saint-Isabelle.
5. What is the name of the American author of the cookbook, which includes some recipes from the Balzar?
(a) Pierce Avery.
(b) William Jones.
(c) Daniel Young.
(d) Philip Chance.
6. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
(a) Because she wants an excuse to name her daughter Paris.
(b) Because her friends in New York all have two boys.
(c) Because she dislikes the hospitals in New York.
(d) Because she is excited for the longer French hospital stay.
7. What advice does Martha's doctor give her for after the baby arrives?
(a) Take a vacation.
(b) Get a night nurse.
(c) Get daily massages.
(d) Stay at home in the apartment for two weeks before going out.
8. How much money does Gopnik agree to commit to the Friends of the Balzar to keep the brasserie open?
(a) 1000 dollars.
(b) 100 dollars.
(c) 500 dollars.
(d) 50 dollar.
9. What is the name of the English restaurateur that Bucher threatens to sell the Balzar to?
(a) Hal Davis.
(b) Kingsly Devon.
(c) Hugh Potts.
(d) Terrence Conran.
10. At the end of The Rookie, what does Luke ask for, for his birthday?
(a) A dog.
(b) A baseball bat.
(c) A beret.
(d) An ID card marked as a press pass from the government.
11. Who dresses the baby in Like a King?
(a) The nurse.
(b) The doctor.
12. What profession does Antoine Jacobsohn hold?
(a) He is an agricultural scientist.
(b) He is a restaurant owner.
(c) He is a chef.
(d) He is a food critic.
13. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
(a) A procession of famous soccer players.
(b) Four inflatable dolls representing different nationallities.
(c) A gigantic soccer ball float carrying French school children.
(d) A large marching band.
14. Why does Adam have to go back to the apartment before Martha can receive an epidural?
(a) He needed to get the telephone number for Martha's New York physician.
(b) He had left the paperwork there.
(c) He needed Martha's identification cards.
(d) Martha wanted Luke to be present.
15. Where is the Rookie from?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) New York, USA.
(c) Anywhere, USA.
(d) Somwhere, France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound awakens Gopnik on his first morning at home on the Left Bank?
2. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
3. Where do the Gopnik's spend the month of August while they live in Paris?
4. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
5. Why is Alice in Paris?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)