|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the clinic where the Gopniks go to have their baby?
(a) Near the Louvre.
(d) The sixth arrondissement.
2. What sickness does Luke contract in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) Scarlet fever.
3. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
(a) His wife Martha.
(b) Susan Herrmann Loomis.
(c) Antoine Jacobsohn.
(d) Elise Chartreuse.
4. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
(a) A gigantic soccer ball float carrying French school children.
(b) A large marching band.
(c) A procession of famous soccer players.
(d) Four inflatable dolls representing different nationallities.
5. What is the most important lesson Gopnik has learned in Paris.
(a) He has learned how to dress fashionably.
(b) He has learned to cook.
(c) He has learned to speak French.
(d) He has learned to navigate the metro.
6. Who won the World Cup?
7. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) John J. McGraw.
(b) J. Reuben Meyers.
(c) Babe Ruth.
(d) Christy Matthewson.
8. Where did Alice own a restaurant prior to her visit to France?
(a) New York.
9. Which is not one of the menu items of the Balzar listed in The Balzar Wars?
(a) Grilled Salmon.
(c) Pommes frites.
(d) Croque Monsieur.
10. What surprise do the Gopnik's receive at Christmas in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) They find a new apartment.
(b) They find out they are expecting a baby.
(c) Their grandparents come for a surpise visit.
(d) They are given a dog.
11. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
(a) They are worried about retaliation.
(b) They don't want to openly ruin their arrangement with Bucher.
(c) They do not feel that it will work.
(d) They don't want their favorite restaurant to be closed.
12. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
(a) A PBS series on baseball.
(b) A video game of baseball.
(c) A collection of baseball cards.
(d) New mitts and baseball bats.
13. Which is not one of the girls from Luke's two-year old gym class mentioned in Barney?
14. How does Gopnik usually begin cooking?
(a) By chopping onions.
(b) By creating a broth.
(c) By drinking a glass of wine.
(d) By peeling potatoes.
15. What is the name of the young publisher who gives a speech at the Balzar that gets media coverage?
(a) Jacques D'Artere.
(b) Maurice Revelli.
(c) Andre Bertillini.
(d) Lorenzo Valentin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the clinic that Adam and Martha chose?
2. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
3. According to Gopnik, what is the unforgiving idol of New York?
4. Who calls and tells Gopnik that things are not going well with the Balzar in A Handful of Cherries?
5. Where did Gopnik first hear the term "lessons from things."
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)