|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Martha's doctor give her for after the baby arrives?
(a) Get a night nurse.
(b) Get daily massages.
(c) Take a vacation.
(d) Stay at home in the apartment for two weeks before going out.
2. What is the name of the American author of the cookbook, which includes some recipes from the Balzar?
(a) Daniel Young.
(b) William Jones.
(c) Philip Chance.
(d) Pierce Avery.
3. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) George Bush.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) Joseph McCarthy.
4. What is Gopnik's opinion of Mitterrand's grand projects such as the library?
(a) He finds them very homey.
(b) He is indifferent to them.
(c) They do not impress him.
(d) He is awestruck by them.
5. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
(a) He carcasses of meat scare him.
(b) He does not like the smell.
(c) He loves to play hopscotch outside the store instead.
(d) He is afraid of the Butcher.
6. What movies does Luke form an attachment to in Barney?
(b) Charlie Chaplin Films.
(d) Lucky Luke.
7. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
(a) Elise Chartreuse.
(b) Antoine Jacobsohn.
(c) Susan Herrmann Loomis.
(d) His wife Martha.
8. According to Gopnik, what is the unforgiving idol of New York?
(b) The Office.
9. How old is the Rookie when he is discovered in 1908?
10. What goal does Gopnik set in The World Cup?
(a) To study the history of soccer before the end of the tournament.
(b) To learn every players name on the French team.
(c) To attend at least one game of the World Cup.
(d) To watch the entire World Cup tournament.
11. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
(a) Victor Hugo.
(b) Guillaume Apollinaire.
(c) Stephane Mallarme.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
12. What team does the Rookie begin to play for?
(a) The Boston Red Socks.
(b) The Los Angeles Dodgers.
(c) The St. Louis Cardinals.
(d) The New York Giants.
13. Why is Alice in Paris?
(a) She is a receiving an award.
(b) She is opening a restaurant at the Louvre.
(c) She is visiting Adam.
(d) She is learning a new pastry technique.
14. What was the theme song of the victorious soccer team?
(a) Queen's We Are the Champions.
(b) La Marseillaise.
(c) We Will Rock You.
(d) We Stand Triumphant.
15. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
2. What sound awakens Gopnik on his first morning at home on the Left Bank?
3. What does Gopnik bring back from his New York business trip to share with Luke in The Rookie?
4. What is the name of the young publisher who gives a speech at the Balzar that gets media coverage?
5. Who bathes the baby in Like a King?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)