|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goal does Gopnik set in The World Cup?
(a) To study the history of soccer before the end of the tournament.
(b) To attend at least one game of the World Cup.
(c) To learn every players name on the French team.
(d) To watch the entire World Cup tournament.
2. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) Christy Matthewson.
(c) J. Reuben Meyers.
(d) John J. McGraw.
3. What is the most important lesson Gopnik has learned in Paris.
(a) He has learned to cook.
(b) He has learned how to dress fashionably.
(c) He has learned to speak French.
(d) He has learned to navigate the metro.
4. What ability does the Rookie have when he is discovered?
(a) He can see a fly from one hundred yards away.
(b) He can catch all types of balls.
(c) He can run faster than boys twice his age.
(d) He can throw stones with surprising accuracy.
5. Who helps Gopnik prepare the meal for Alice?
(a) Antoine Jacobsohn.
(b) Susan Herrmann Loomis.
(c) His wife Martha.
(d) Elise Chartreuse.
6. Which is not one of the girls from Luke's two-year old gym class mentioned in Barney?
7. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
(a) Because she is excited for the longer French hospital stay.
(b) Because she dislikes the hospitals in New York.
(c) Because her friends in New York all have two boys.
(d) Because she wants an excuse to name her daughter Paris.
8. What is Gopnik's opinion of Mitterrand's grand projects such as the library?
(a) He finds them very homey.
(b) They do not impress him.
(c) He is indifferent to them.
(d) He is awestruck by them.
9. Where does Adam go to fill out the birth certificate for Olivia?
(a) The nurse gives him a form at the hospital.
(b) He goes to the main administration building in Paris.
(c) He has to fax in forms to New York.
(d) City Hall.
10. Why does Luke refuse to enter the Barthelemy on rue de Grenelle?
(a) He loves to play hopscotch outside the store instead.
(b) He carcasses of meat scare him.
(c) He is afraid of the Butcher.
(d) He does not like the smell.
11. How long does Gopnik braise a lamb for, when he prepares dinner for Waters?
(a) Seven hours.
(b) Sixteen hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Twenty minutes.
12. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
(a) A procession of famous soccer players.
(b) Four inflatable dolls representing different nationallities.
(c) A gigantic soccer ball float carrying French school children.
(d) A large marching band.
13. How many weeks of vacation are the French people guaranteed by law?
14. What is the name of the restaurant where the waiters invite Gopnik to dinner after they have left the Balzar?
(a) Le Mignon.
(b) Relais Beaujolais.
(c) Place Sansuit.
(d) Cafe du Porte.
15. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
(a) Victor Hugo.
(b) T.S. Eliot.
(c) Guillaume Apollinaire.
(d) Stephane Mallarme.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Gopnik's spend the month of August while they live in Paris?
2. What does Gopnik drink during his lunch with Quelin?
3. What position did the Rookie play?
4. What is Gopnik's favorite sport?
5. When the clinic is locked upon the Gopnik's arrival, who opens the door?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)