|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) J. Reuben Meyers.
(b) Christy Matthewson.
(c) Babe Ruth.
(d) John J. McGraw.
2. Which is not one of the girls from Luke's two-year old gym class mentioned in Barney?
3. Which is not one of the players for the French soccer team mentioned in The World Cup?
4. When the clinic is locked upon the Gopnik's arrival, who opens the door?
(a) The owner of the clinic.
(b) A janitor.
(c) A sleepy midwife.
5. What political figure does Gopnik compare Barney to?
(a) Bill Clinton.
(c) Joseph McCarthy.
(d) George Bush.
6. What does Gopnik drink during his lunch with Quelin?
7. How many weeks of vacation are the French people guaranteed by law?
8. What goal does Gopnik set in The World Cup?
(a) To learn every players name on the French team.
(b) To watch the entire World Cup tournament.
(c) To study the history of soccer before the end of the tournament.
(d) To attend at least one game of the World Cup.
9. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) A room at the film school.
(b) The Cafe de Flores.
(c) The Balzar.
(d) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
10. What is the most important lesson Gopnik has learned in Paris.
(a) He has learned to cook.
(b) He has learned to speak French.
(c) He has learned how to dress fashionably.
(d) He has learned to navigate the metro.
11. What is the name of the man who purchases the Balzar?
(a) Jacques Chirac.
(b) Christophe Berdonne.
(c) Lorenzo Vaentin.
(d) Jean-Paul Bucher.
12. What mistake does Gopnik make while decorating the Christmas tree in A Machine to Draw the World?
(a) He puts the branches through the lights rather than tying them on.
(b) He leaves off the angel.
(c) He hangs lights that do not work.
(d) He hangs the ornaments upside down.
13. What bothers Gopnik most about soccer?
(a) The faking of injuries.
(b) The commentators.
(c) The low scores.
(d) The lack of action.
14. Where did Gopnik first hear the term "lessons from things."
(a) He heard it in the play Tartouffe.
(b) He read it in a novel.
(c) It is a French school term.
(d) He heard it on the radio.
15. What news do the Gopnik's receive in April in A Machine to draw the World?
(a) They are told they are expecting a baby.
(b) They find out Luke has a terminal illness.
(c) They find out Gopnik's job is being disolved.
(d) They are told they have three months to move.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
2. According to Gopnik, what is the unforgiving idol of New York?
3. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
4. What is the name of the restaurant where the waiters invite Gopnik to dinner after they have left the Balzar?
5. What is the name of the batter who ties himself into a knot?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)