|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the real life pitcher that Gopnik includes in his bedtime story, The Rookie?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) J. Reuben Meyers.
(c) Christy Matthewson.
(d) John J. McGraw.
2. What advice does Martha's doctor give her for after the baby arrives?
(a) Stay at home in the apartment for two weeks before going out.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Get daily massages.
(d) Get a night nurse.
3. Where do the friends of the Balzar meet in November before their breakfast with Bucher to talk strategy?
(a) Mme. de Lavigne's apartment.
(b) A room at the film school.
(c) The Cafe de Flores.
(d) The Balzar.
4. Why is the association of friends of the Balzar hesitant to support the waiters in their walkout?
(a) They don't want their favorite restaurant to be closed.
(b) They do not feel that it will work.
(c) They are worried about retaliation.
(d) They don't want to openly ruin their arrangement with Bucher.
5. How long does Gopnik braise a lamb for, when he prepares dinner for Waters?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Seven hours.
(d) Sixteen hours.
6. According to Gopnik, what is the unforgiving idol of New York?
(d) The Office.
7. Where is the Rookie from?
(a) New York, USA.
(b) Anywhere, USA.
(c) Somwhere, France.
(d) Paris, France.
8. What is the name of the poet who wrote about the wrapping of a sugar cube?
(a) Stephane Mallarme.
(b) Guillaume Apollinaire.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) Victor Hugo.
9. What is at the opening of the parade for the beginning of the World Cup?
(a) A procession of famous soccer players.
(b) A large marching band.
(c) Four inflatable dolls representing different nationallities.
(d) A gigantic soccer ball float carrying French school children.
10. What is the name of the young publisher who gives a speech at the Balzar that gets media coverage?
(a) Lorenzo Valentin.
(b) Jacques D'Artere.
(c) Maurice Revelli.
(d) Andre Bertillini.
11. How does Gopnik usually begin cooking?
(a) By creating a broth.
(b) By drinking a glass of wine.
(c) By chopping onions.
(d) By peeling potatoes.
12. Why is Martha happy her little girl will be born in Paris rather than New York?
(a) Because she wants an excuse to name her daughter Paris.
(b) Because she dislikes the hospitals in New York.
(c) Because she is excited for the longer French hospital stay.
(d) Because her friends in New York all have two boys.
13. Who calls and tells Gopnik that things are not going well with the Balzar in A Handful of Cherries?
14. Who won the World Cup?
15. What is Gopnik's opinion of Mitterrand's grand projects such as the library?
(a) He finds them very homey.
(b) He is indifferent to them.
(c) He is awestruck by them.
(d) They do not impress him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the American author of the cookbook, which includes some recipes from the Balzar?
2. What is the name of the restaurant where the waiters invite Gopnik to dinner after they have left the Balzar?
3. Which is not one of the players for the French soccer team mentioned in The World Cup?
4. What sickness does Luke contract in A Machine to Draw the World?
5. What profession does Antoine Jacobsohn hold?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)