|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the author of Les Enfants de Saturne, who Gopnik contacts in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) Paul Boubal.
(b) Charles Maurras.
(c) Jean-Paul Enthove.
(d) Roger Cazes.
2. What day did the strike begin on?
(a) October 11.
(b) December 1.
(c) November 24.
(d) December 24.
3. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
(a) One thousand dollars a month.
(b) Three thousand dollars a month.
(c) Five hundred dollars a month.
(d) Five thousand dollars a month.
4. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
(a) 12 percent.
(b) 15 percent.
(c) 8 percent.
(d) 10 percent.
5. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(b) Auguste Excoffier.
(c) Helene Berchtold.
(d) Julia Child.
6. Which is not one of the estimates of the number of domaine prive apartments listed in the chapter Private Domain?
(c) More than 4000.
7. What class is most enthusiastic about the strikes in France?
(a) The upper class.
(b) All classes are equally invested in strikes.
(c) The lower class.
(d) The middle class.
8. When Gopnik sits on a panel in Distant Errors, who does the panel blame for the American dominance of culture?
(a) Walmart and McDonald's.
(b) The CIA and Ford.
(c) The CIA and Disney.
9. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
(b) Emile Zola.
10. What book written by Juppe does Gopnik mention in Private Domain?
(b) La Tentation de Vinse.
(d) L'Affaire des logements.
11. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
(a) He needed to have his photograph taken.
(b) He needed to take an exam proving his language abilities.
(c) He needed to undergo a physical.
(d) He need to pay an outstanding parking ticket.
12. What sentence was Papon given by the jury?
(a) Ten years in prison.
(b) He was fined 500,000 dollars.
(c) He was given a pardon for his work for the state.
13. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
(a) Four times a week.
(b) Three times a week.
(c) Once per week.
(d) Twice a week.
14. What color of track suits do the employees of Adam's gym wear?
15. Which nationality champions producerism, according to Gopnik?
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
2. How does Gopnik's turkey in The Strike compare with his previous experiences with turkeys?
3. Which publication first revealed that Juppe had leased an apartment from the domaine privee of the city of Paris?
4. What movie star did Gopnik and his cousin fall in love with, when they were boys?
5. How many remotes does Gopnik receive for his television in Winter Circus?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)