|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the taxidermy shop make most of its money in Winter Circus?
(a) Selling bugs and butterflies to collectors.
(b) Stuffing exotic animals from hunting expeditions.
(c) Stuffing animals for various zoos.
(d) Stuffing beloved family pets.
2. Who wrote the treatise L'Horreur Economique?
(a) Jean Medicis.
(b) Viviane Forrester.
(c) Nicole Lepen.
(d) Celeste Prix.
3. What color is the marquee of the Cafe de Flore?
(a) Green with gilt lettering.
(b) White with green lettering.
(c) White with black lettering.
(d) Red with black lettering.
4. What color of frame did the Gopniks frame their engraving of Paris to the Moon?
5. What is remarkable about the turkey that Gopnik receives in The Strike?
(a) It is extremely large.
(b) It was shipped from America.
(c) It is a rare breed of turkey.
(d) It has not been frozen and was raised in open air.
6. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(b) Auguste Excoffier.
(c) Helene Berchtold.
(d) Julia Child.
7. According to Gopnik in Distant Errors, what is the magic American word?
8. What is Gopnik's model of fax machine?
(a) Le Premiere fax.
(b) Le Presidente.
(c) Galeo 5000.
(d) Timprenteur 2000.
9. What is the name of the author of Les Enfants de Saturne, who Gopnik contacts in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) Roger Cazes.
(b) Charles Maurras.
(c) Paul Boubal.
(d) Jean-Paul Enthove.
10. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
(a) Real candles on the boughs.
(b) A wooden cross at the bottom that makes it difficult to water the tree.
(c) A nutcracker hidden in the boughs.
(d) A series of cuts in the stem marking the day it was cut.
11. What is the name of the gym Adam and Martha eventually join?
(a) Place Americaine.
(b) Regiment Rouge.
(c) The Ritz health club.
12. What is the name of the French economist who claimed that the U.S. economy was stagnant?
(b) Emmanuel Todd.
(c) Philippe Sollers.
(d) Bertrand Heloise.
13. When Gopnik sits on a panel in Distant Errors, who does the panel blame for the American dominance of culture?
(b) The CIA and Ford.
(c) The CIA and Disney.
(d) Walmart and McDonald's.
14. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
(a) Work and food.
(b) Sex and food.
(c) Books and music.
(d) Hunting and food.
15. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
(a) He needed to undergo a physical.
(b) He needed to take an exam proving his language abilities.
(c) He needed to have his photograph taken.
(d) He need to pay an outstanding parking ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many good soccer teams does Paris have?
2. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
3. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
4. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
5. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)