|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Luke when the Gopniks arrived in Paris?
(a) 8 months old.
(b) One year old.
(c) 4 months old.
(d) Two years old.
2. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Helene Berchtold.
(b) Julia Child.
(c) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(d) Auguste Excoffier.
3. How does the taxidermy shop make most of its money in Winter Circus?
(a) Selling bugs and butterflies to collectors.
(b) Stuffing beloved family pets.
(c) Stuffing exotic animals from hunting expeditions.
(d) Stuffing animals for various zoos.
4. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
(a) Once per week.
(b) Four times a week.
(c) Twice a week.
(d) Three times a week.
5. What day did the strike begin on?
(a) December 1.
(b) November 24.
(c) December 24.
(d) October 11.
6. What color is the marquee of the Cafe Deux Magots?
(a) Green with gilt lettering.
(b) White with green lettering.
(c) Black with gilt lettering.
(d) White with red lettering.
7. What is the name of the French economist who claimed that the U.S. economy was stagnant?
(b) Emmanuel Todd.
(c) Philippe Sollers.
(d) Bertrand Heloise.
8. How did the prosecution consider Papon's sentence?
(a) The were shocked by its outcome.
(b) They saw it as a victory for bringing down a powerful man.
(c) They saw it as a complete failure as he was not sentenced to death.
(d) They were indifferent to the sentence because the trial was more important than its outcome.
9. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
(a) Five hundred dollars a month.
(b) Three thousand dollars a month.
(c) One thousand dollars a month.
(d) Five thousand dollars a month.
10. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
(a) From the television.
(b) From the street sweeper.
(c) In the newspaper, Le Monde.
(d) From the lady who keeps the striped-pajama boutique.
11. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
(a) They had never been to Paris together before the move in 1995.
(b) They lived there for their first year of marriage in 1989.
(c) They went there on their honeymoon.
(d) They stayed there for a week before they were married.
12. What error displays most often on Gopnik's fax machine?
(a) Pas d'identitie.
(b) Erreur distante.
(c) Bourage de papier.
(d) Pas de probleme.
13. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
(a) The employee was fired.
(b) Nothing happened and her complaint was dismissed.
(c) The woman was barred from riding the tower again.
(d) The woman was credited money.
14. Where is Adam attending the Baudrillard seminar in Winter Circus?
(a) Lycee Paris.
(b) The Beaubourg.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The Sorbonne.
15. What food does Gopnik miss more than any other American food in Distant Errors?
(c) A bran muffin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
2. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
3. What did Adam and Martha buy from BHV, that they had to return in The Winter Circus?
4. What is the name of the bill supported by Le Pen which would have required people inform police if they had a foreign guest?
5. What is Gopnik's model of fax machine?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)