|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Gopnik enjoy his first stay in Paris for one year?
2. Which is not one of the estimates of the number of domaine prive apartments listed in the chapter Private Domain?
(a) More than 4000.
3. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
(a) The government installed automated ticket takers.
(b) Security cameras were being mounted on the tower.
(c) The workers went on strike.
(d) A new elevator was installed.
4. What is the name of the gym Adam and Martha eventually join?
(a) Place Americaine.
(b) The Ritz health club.
(d) Regiment Rouge.
5. How old is Luke when the Gopniks arrived in Paris?
(a) 4 months old.
(b) Two years old.
(c) One year old.
(d) 8 months old.
6. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
7. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
(a) Les Deux Enfants.
(b) Le Canard Enchaine.
(c) Le Monde.
8. What movie star did Gopnik and his cousin fall in love with, when they were boys?
(a) Catherine Deneuve.
(b) Audrey Hepburn.
(c) Charlotte Redoux.
(d) Jacqueline Bisset.
9. In what way was Gopnik worried that the strike would affect his life in the chapter The Strike?
(a) He was worried he would not receive a turkey he had ordered.
(b) He was worried that his telephone service would be interrupted.
(c) He was worried he wouldn't be able to use the metro for his daily commute.
(d) He was worried his apartment would be vandalized.
10. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
(a) He was the secretary general.
(b) He was the governor.
(c) He was the mayor of Bordeaux.
(d) He was a magistrate.
11. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
(a) It is made by France Telecom in France.
(b) It is made in China.
(c) It is made in Sweden.
(d) It is a U.S. machine he brought over.
12. What is the name of the bill supported by Le Pen which would have required people inform police if they had a foreign guest?
(a) Debre bill.
(b) Vichy bill.
(c) Le Pen's bill.
(d) Crise bill.
13. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
(a) He needed to take an exam proving his language abilities.
(b) He needed to undergo a physical.
(c) He need to pay an outstanding parking ticket.
(d) He needed to have his photograph taken.
14. What was Papon accused of during his trial?
(a) Complicity in crimes against humanity.
(c) First degree murder.
(d) Embezzlement of goods taken from Jewish holocaust victims.
15. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
(a) Christian Lacroix.
(b) Olivier Lapidus.
(d) Yves Saint Laurent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many good soccer teams does Paris have?
2. What food does Gopnik miss more than any other American food in Distant Errors?
3. What is the name of the French economist who claimed that the U.S. economy was stagnant?
4. What does Luke like to do outside the toy store on the boulevard Saint-Germain?
5. What color is the marquee of the Cafe de Flore?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)