|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gopnik call the notion that Americans wanted to consume in a world where workers were hidden or dressed up as nonhumans, so as not to be disconcerting?
(a) Disney World.
(c) Paris in July.
2. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
(a) The employee was fired.
(b) Nothing happened and her complaint was dismissed.
(c) The woman was barred from riding the tower again.
(d) The woman was credited money.
3. Where does Adam take Luke on rainy days?
(a) The Ritz pool.
(b) The toy store.
(c) The taxidermy shop.
(d) The Luxembourg Gardens.
4. What is the name of the author of Les Enfants de Saturne, who Gopnik contacts in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) Jean-Paul Enthove.
(b) Roger Cazes.
(c) Paul Boubal.
(d) Charles Maurras.
5. Which is not one of the restaurants mentioned in the first chapter, Paris to the Moon?
(a) Chez Andre.
(b) Le Sasilic.
(c) Le Souffle.
(d) Chez Doux.
6. What error displays most often on Gopnik's fax machine?
(a) Pas de probleme.
(b) Pas d'identitie.
(c) Bourage de papier.
(d) Erreur distante.
7. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
(a) He was the mayor of Bordeaux.
(b) He was the secretary general.
(c) He was a magistrate.
(d) He was the governor.
8. What is remarkable about the turkey that Gopnik receives in The Strike?
(a) It was shipped from America.
(b) It is a rare breed of turkey.
(c) It has not been frozen and was raised in open air.
(d) It is extremely large.
9. Why don't Adam and Nicole eat at Cafe de Flores in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) It is too expensive.
(b) Nicole does not like the food.
(c) There aren't any tables available.
(d) It is unfashionable.
10. Which area of Paris does Gopnik find his apartment in?
(a) The Fourth Arrondissment.
(b) The Sixth Arrondissement.
(c) He isn't able to find an apartment in Paris and moves to the suburbs.
(d) The Seventh Arrondissement.
11. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
(a) The Yves St. Laurent show.
(b) The Valentio show.
(c) The Givenchy Show.
(d) The Gucci show.
12. How do French intellectuals regard the affect of American culture on France?
(a) They love abstract influence from America and credit it with changing French thought.
(b) They are completely indifferent with American culture and don't even know prominent American authors.
(c) They blame America for the decline of French art and literature.
(d) They think America has no influence whatsoever on the French arts.
13. What color is the marquee of the Cafe de Flore?
(a) White with black lettering.
(b) Green with gilt lettering.
(c) White with green lettering.
(d) Red with black lettering.
14. Which publication first revealed that Juppe had leased an apartment from the domaine privee of the city of Paris?
(a) The British paper, The Financial Times.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) The weekly comic paper Le Canard Enchaine.
(d) Le Monde.
15. Where are most of the fashion shows held in Couture Shock?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adam attending the Baudrillard seminar in Winter Circus?
2. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
3. What was Papon accused of during his trial?
4. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
5. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)