|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class is most enthusiastic about the strikes in France?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The upper class.
(c) All classes are equally invested in strikes.
(d) The lower class.
2. What do the students want to achieve from their strike?
(a) They want smaller classes and more government subsidies.
(b) They want more government housing options for students and newer buildings on college campuses.
(c) They want more guaranteed jobs after graduation.
(d) They want better health benefits.
3. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
(a) Books and music.
(b) Work and food.
(c) Hunting and food.
(d) Sex and food.
4. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
(b) Emile Zola.
5. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
6. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
(a) It is made by France Telecom in France.
(b) It is made in Sweden.
(c) It is a U.S. machine he brought over.
(d) It is made in China.
7. What movie star did Gopnik and his cousin fall in love with, when they were boys?
(a) Charlotte Redoux.
(b) Audrey Hepburn.
(c) Catherine Deneuve.
(d) Jacqueline Bisset.
8. When Gopnik sits on a panel in Distant Errors, who does the panel blame for the American dominance of culture?
(a) Walmart and McDonald's.
(c) The CIA and Disney.
(d) The CIA and Ford.
9. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
(a) Security cameras were being mounted on the tower.
(b) The government installed automated ticket takers.
(c) A new elevator was installed.
(d) The workers went on strike.
10. What did Adam and Martha buy from BHV, that they had to return in The Winter Circus?
(a) A toaster.
(b) A teapot.
(c) An iron.
(d) A television.
11. What book written by Juppe does Gopnik mention in Private Domain?
(a) L'Affaire des logements.
(d) La Tentation de Vinse.
12. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Julia Child.
(b) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(c) Auguste Excoffier.
(d) Helene Berchtold.
13. Which two American authors does Philippe Sollers debate with Gopnik?
(a) Dickinson and Hemingway.
(b) Roth and Updike.
(c) Fitzgerald and Twain.
(d) Sinclair and Faulkner.
14. What is the name of the magazine that Adam Gopnik works as a correspondent for?
(b) Better Homes and Garden.
(c) Time Magazine.
(d) The New Yorker.
15. What sentence was Papon given by the jury?
(a) He was fined 500,000 dollars.
(b) Ten years in prison.
(c) He was given a pardon for his work for the state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adam have to undergo before he was allowed to work out on the machines at this gym?
2. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
3. What is not one of the names suggested for the new stadium in The Rules of the Sport?
4. What color of track suits do the employees of Adam's gym wear?
5. What is the name of the movement that brought an emphasis on spices to compete with this ethic of the soil?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)