|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many haute couture shows were in Paris in Couture Shock?
2. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
(a) In the newspaper, Le Monde.
(b) From the lady who keeps the striped-pajama boutique.
(c) From the television.
(d) From the street sweeper.
3. How did the prosecution consider Papon's sentence?
(a) They saw it as a complete failure as he was not sentenced to death.
(b) They saw it as a victory for bringing down a powerful man.
(c) The were shocked by its outcome.
(d) They were indifferent to the sentence because the trial was more important than its outcome.
4. What is the name of the magazine that Adam Gopnik works as a correspondent for?
(b) Better Homes and Garden.
(c) Time Magazine.
(d) The New Yorker.
5. What do the students want to achieve from their strike?
(a) They want better health benefits.
(b) They want more government housing options for students and newer buildings on college campuses.
(c) They want more guaranteed jobs after graduation.
(d) They want smaller classes and more government subsidies.
6. What color of track suits do the employees of Adam's gym wear?
7. What did Adam have to undergo before he was allowed to work out on the machines at this gym?
(a) A consultation with the gym "professeur."
(b) He had to pass a test on safety exam.
(c) He had to get his eyes checked.
(d) He had to have a background check.
8. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
(a) 10 percent.
(b) 12 percent.
(c) 15 percent.
(d) 8 percent.
9. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
(a) She wore a jaw dropping red dress created for her by the designer.
(b) She sat next to Georgio Armani and refused to acknowledge Christian Lacroix.
(c) She wore a see through top and covered her breats with her fingertips.
(d) She slapped Claudia Schiffer.
10. What was the profession of Gopnik's parents?
(a) They were both writers.
(b) They were artists.
(c) They were chefs.
(d) They were college professors.
11. How does Paris look at the time of the strike in the chapter, The Strike?
(a) It seems cheerful and sunny and spring is coming.
(b) It is very dirty due to the sanitation workers striking.
(c) The city seems gray and drab in the wake of all the negative strike propaganda.
(d) It is decorated for Christmas.
12. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
(a) He was the governor.
(b) He was a magistrate.
(c) He was the mayor of Bordeaux.
(d) He was the secretary general.
13. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
(a) They stayed there for a week before they were married.
(b) They had never been to Paris together before the move in 1995.
(c) They went there on their honeymoon.
(d) They lived there for their first year of marriage in 1989.
14. What did Adam and Martha buy from BHV, that they had to return in The Winter Circus?
(a) A television.
(b) An iron.
(c) A teapot.
(d) A toaster.
15. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Julia Child.
(b) Helene Berchtold.
(c) Auguste Excoffier.
(d) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Adam's cousin who had fled Paris for London and made a small fortune in banking?
2. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
3. What company was M. Meyssonier the president of?
4. What food does Gopnik miss more than any other American food in Distant Errors?
5. What does Nisha's spouse do for a job?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)