|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the marquee of the Cafe de Flore?
(a) White with black lettering.
(b) Green with gilt lettering.
(c) White with green lettering.
(d) Red with black lettering.
2. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
(a) Telephone company workers.
(b) The sanitation workers.
(c) Police officers.
(d) The railroad workers.
3. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
4. What is the title of the daily sports paper in France?
(a) Le Sports.
(b) Le Monde.
5. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Helene Berchtold.
(b) Auguste Excoffier.
(c) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(d) Julia Child.
6. What color is the marquee of the Cafe Deux Magots?
(a) White with red lettering.
(b) White with green lettering.
(c) Green with gilt lettering.
(d) Black with gilt lettering.
7. How does Gopnik's turkey in The Strike compare with his previous experiences with turkeys?
(a) It is much more salty than he remembers turkey being.
(b) It is the best tasting turkey he has ever had.
(c) It tastes much poorer than other turkeys he has had.
(d) It has a very tough texture, but still tastes good.
8. What was Papon accused of during his trial?
(b) Embezzlement of goods taken from Jewish holocaust victims.
(c) First degree murder.
(d) Complicity in crimes against humanity.
9. What color of track suits do the employees of Adam's gym wear?
10. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
(a) Sex and food.
(b) Books and music.
(c) Hunting and food.
(d) Work and food.
11. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
(a) She wore a see through top and covered her breats with her fingertips.
(b) She wore a jaw dropping red dress created for her by the designer.
(c) She slapped Claudia Schiffer.
(d) She sat next to Georgio Armani and refused to acknowledge Christian Lacroix.
12. How do French intellectuals regard the affect of American culture on France?
(a) They are completely indifferent with American culture and don't even know prominent American authors.
(b) They blame America for the decline of French art and literature.
(c) They love abstract influence from America and credit it with changing French thought.
(d) They think America has no influence whatsoever on the French arts.
13. How long did the jury deliberate in the Papon case?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) All night.
(c) One hour.
(d) Three days.
14. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
(b) Emile Zola.
15. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
(b) Yves Saint Laurent.
(c) Olivier Lapidus.
(d) Christian Lacroix.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not one of the restaurants mentioned in the first chapter, Paris to the Moon?
2. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
3. Where does Adam take Luke on rainy days?
4. What day did the strike begin on?
5. What is the name of the magazine that Adam Gopnik works as a correspondent for?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)