|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
(a) The government installed automated ticket takers.
(b) Security cameras were being mounted on the tower.
(c) A new elevator was installed.
(d) The workers went on strike.
2. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
(a) It is made in China.
(b) It is made in Sweden.
(c) It is made by France Telecom in France.
(d) It is a U.S. machine he brought over.
3. What is the name of the post-structuralist philosopher that enjoys French cuisine?
(a) Eugenio Donato.
(b) Cesar Ritz.
(c) Freitz Carem.
(d) Baroness de Rothschild.
4. Which is not one of the animals mentioned in the taxidermy shop in Winter Circus?
(d) Polar Bear.
5. According to Gopnik in Distant Errors, what is the magic American word?
6. What is the name of Adam's cousin who had fled Paris for London and made a small fortune in banking?
7. Why don't Adam and Nicole eat at Cafe de Flores in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) It is unfashionable.
(b) There aren't any tables available.
(c) Nicole does not like the food.
(d) It is too expensive.
8. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Auguste Excoffier.
(b) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(c) Helene Berchtold.
(d) Julia Child.
9. Which famous writer had once been the mayor of Bordeaux, as mentioned in the chapter Private Domain?
(c) Emile Zola.
10. What is the name of the French economist who claimed that the U.S. economy was stagnant?
(a) Bertrand Heloise.
(b) Philippe Sollers.
(d) Emmanuel Todd.
11. How does Gopnik's turkey in The Strike compare with his previous experiences with turkeys?
(a) It tastes much poorer than other turkeys he has had.
(b) It has a very tough texture, but still tastes good.
(c) It is much more salty than he remembers turkey being.
(d) It is the best tasting turkey he has ever had.
12. What was Martha's profession?
(a) She was a dancer.
(b) She was a librarian.
(c) She was a nurse.
(d) She was a screenwriter.
13. What is the name of the magazine that Adam Gopnik works as a correspondent for?
(a) Time Magazine.
(b) Better Homes and Garden.
(c) The New Yorker.
14. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
(a) 8 percent.
(b) 10 percent.
(c) 12 percent.
(d) 15 percent.
15. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
(a) She wore a jaw dropping red dress created for her by the designer.
(b) She sat next to Georgio Armani and refused to acknowledge Christian Lacroix.
(c) She wore a see through top and covered her breats with her fingertips.
(d) She slapped Claudia Schiffer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which area of Paris does Gopnik find his apartment in?
2. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
3. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
4. What food does Gopnik miss more than any other American food in Distant Errors?
5. What is the name of the restaurant who created the complex dessert of braised tomato?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)