|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the names suggested for the new stadium in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) Place Zinedine.
(c) They wanted to name it after Saint-Exupery.
(d) Le Stade Platini.
2. How does the taxidermy shop make most of its money in Winter Circus?
(a) Stuffing exotic animals from hunting expeditions.
(b) Stuffing beloved family pets.
(c) Selling bugs and butterflies to collectors.
(d) Stuffing animals for various zoos.
3. What does Gopnik call the notion that Americans wanted to consume in a world where workers were hidden or dressed up as nonhumans, so as not to be disconcerting?
(a) Disney World.
(c) Paris in July.
4. How many remotes does Gopnik receive for his television in Winter Circus?
5. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
(a) One thousand dollars a month.
(b) Three thousand dollars a month.
(c) Five thousand dollars a month.
(d) Five hundred dollars a month.
6. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
(a) He needed to have his photograph taken.
(b) He needed to take an exam proving his language abilities.
(c) He need to pay an outstanding parking ticket.
(d) He needed to undergo a physical.
7. When Gopnik sits on a panel in Distant Errors, who does the panel blame for the American dominance of culture?
(a) Walmart and McDonald's.
(c) The CIA and Disney.
(d) The CIA and Ford.
8. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
(a) Security cameras were being mounted on the tower.
(b) The government installed automated ticket takers.
(c) A new elevator was installed.
(d) The workers went on strike.
9. What is the name of the bill supported by Le Pen which would have required people inform police if they had a foreign guest?
(a) Crise bill.
(b) Debre bill.
(c) Vichy bill.
(d) Le Pen's bill.
10. Which area of Paris does Gopnik find his apartment in?
(a) The Fourth Arrondissment.
(b) The Seventh Arrondissement.
(c) He isn't able to find an apartment in Paris and moves to the suburbs.
(d) The Sixth Arrondissement.
11. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) He watches CNN on the television.
(b) Stones on his walkman.
(c) He listens to the conversation of those working out around him.
(d) He listens to a book on tape.
12. Which is not one of the estimates of the number of domaine prive apartments listed in the chapter Private Domain?
(a) More than 4000.
13. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
(a) 8 percent.
(b) 10 percent.
(c) 12 percent.
(d) 15 percent.
14. What color is the marquee of the Cafe Deux Magots?
(a) White with red lettering.
(b) Black with gilt lettering.
(c) Green with gilt lettering.
(d) White with green lettering.
15. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
(a) Olivier Lapidus.
(b) Yves Saint Laurent.
(c) Christian Lacroix.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color of frame did the Gopniks frame their engraving of Paris to the Moon?
2. What class is most enthusiastic about the strikes in France?
3. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
4. What do the students want to achieve from their strike?
5. What does Nisha's spouse do for a job?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)