|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
(a) He was the mayor of Bordeaux.
(b) He was a magistrate.
(c) He was the governor.
(d) He was the secretary general.
2. What color of frame did the Gopniks frame their engraving of Paris to the Moon?
3. What is the name of the post-structuralist philosopher that enjoys French cuisine?
(a) Cesar Ritz.
(b) Baroness de Rothschild.
(c) Freitz Carem.
(d) Eugenio Donato.
4. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
(a) Four times a week.
(b) Once per week.
(c) Three times a week.
(d) Twice a week.
5. What company was M. Meyssonier the president of?
(a) An engineering firm.
(b) A sanitation company.
(c) A mortgage lending company.
(d) A telephone company.
6. What restaurant does Gopnik attend at the end of The Crisis of French Cooking where he has a wonderful French meal?
7. How did the prosecution consider Papon's sentence?
(a) They saw it as a victory for bringing down a powerful man.
(b) The were shocked by its outcome.
(c) They were indifferent to the sentence because the trial was more important than its outcome.
(d) They saw it as a complete failure as he was not sentenced to death.
8. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
(a) The Yves St. Laurent show.
(b) The Valentio show.
(c) The Gucci show.
(d) The Givenchy Show.
9. What class is most enthusiastic about the strikes in France?
(a) The middle class.
(b) All classes are equally invested in strikes.
(c) The upper class.
(d) The lower class.
10. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
(a) She wore a jaw dropping red dress created for her by the designer.
(b) She wore a see through top and covered her breats with her fingertips.
(c) She slapped Claudia Schiffer.
(d) She sat next to Georgio Armani and refused to acknowledge Christian Lacroix.
11. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
(a) The employee was fired.
(b) Nothing happened and her complaint was dismissed.
(c) The woman was barred from riding the tower again.
(d) The woman was credited money.
12. What error displays most often on Gopnik's fax machine?
(a) Pas d'identitie.
(b) Pas de probleme.
(c) Bourage de papier.
(d) Erreur distante.
13. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Julia Child.
(b) Helene Berchtold.
(c) Auguste Excoffier.
(d) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
14. According to Gopnik in Distant Errors, what is the magic American word?
15. What color is the marquee of the Cafe de Flore?
(a) White with black lettering.
(b) Red with black lettering.
(c) White with green lettering.
(d) Green with gilt lettering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Luke's baby-sitter Nisha from?
2. What is the name of the magazine that Adam Gopnik works as a correspondent for?
3. What year did Gopnik enjoy his first stay in Paris for one year?
4. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
5. How old is Luke when the Gopniks arrived in Paris?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)