|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way was Gopnik worried that the strike would affect his life in the chapter The Strike?
(a) He was worried that his telephone service would be interrupted.
(b) He was worried his apartment would be vandalized.
(c) He was worried he would not receive a turkey he had ordered.
(d) He was worried he wouldn't be able to use the metro for his daily commute.
2. Where is Luke's baby-sitter Nisha from?
(a) Sri Lanka.
3. What is the stadium eventually named in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) Place Zinedine.
(b) Le Stade Platini.
(c) The French Stadium.
(d) L'espirit de Sport.
4. Which two American authors does Philippe Sollers debate with Gopnik?
(a) Sinclair and Faulkner.
(b) Dickinson and Hemingway.
(c) Roth and Updike.
(d) Fitzgerald and Twain.
5. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
(a) Once per week.
(b) Four times a week.
(c) Three times a week.
(d) Twice a week.
6. How old is Juppe in Private Domain?
7. How did the prosecution consider Papon's sentence?
(a) They saw it as a complete failure as he was not sentenced to death.
(b) The were shocked by its outcome.
(c) They were indifferent to the sentence because the trial was more important than its outcome.
(d) They saw it as a victory for bringing down a powerful man.
8. What is the name of the bill supported by Le Pen which would have required people inform police if they had a foreign guest?
(a) Crise bill.
(b) Vichy bill.
(c) Le Pen's bill.
(d) Debre bill.
9. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
(a) In the newspaper, Le Monde.
(b) From the lady who keeps the striped-pajama boutique.
(c) From the street sweeper.
(d) From the television.
10. What gym did Adam and Martha first try out on in Paris?
(a) Place Americaine.
(c) The health club at the Ritz.
(d) Regiment Rouge.
11. Which is not one of the animals mentioned in the taxidermy shop in Winter Circus?
(c) Polar Bear.
12. What was the profession of Gopnik's parents?
(a) They were chefs.
(b) They were both writers.
(c) They were artists.
(d) They were college professors.
13. What is Gopnik's model of fax machine?
(a) Le Premiere fax.
(b) Galeo 5000.
(c) Timprenteur 2000.
(d) Le Presidente.
14. What sentence was Papon given by the jury?
(a) He was given a pardon for his work for the state.
(b) He was fined 500,000 dollars.
(c) Ten years in prison.
15. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
(a) Les Deux Enfants.
(b) Le Monde.
(d) Le Canard Enchaine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What restaurant does Gopnik attend at the end of The Crisis of French Cooking where he has a wonderful French meal?
2. According to Gopnik in Distant Errors, what is the magic American word?
3. What was Papon accused of during his trial?
4. What is the name of the post-structuralist philosopher that enjoys French cuisine?
5. What does Luke like to do outside the toy store on the boulevard Saint-Germain?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)