Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
(a) Christian Lacroix.
(b) Olivier Lapidus.
(c) Yves Saint Laurent.
2. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
(a) She sat next to Georgio Armani and refused to acknowledge Christian Lacroix.
(b) She wore a jaw dropping red dress created for her by the designer.
(c) She slapped Claudia Schiffer.
(d) She wore a see through top and covered her breats with her fingertips.
3. Who appointed Juppe to his position as Prime Minister?
(a) Edouard Balladur.
(b) Jacques Chirac.
(c) Christine Ockrent.
(d) He was voted in by the populace.
4. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
(a) The sanitation workers.
(b) The railroad workers.
(c) Police officers.
(d) Telephone company workers.
5. What nationality was the tourist that got off on the first platform rather than the second in Trouble at the Tower?
6. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
(a) Le Canard Enchaine.
(c) Le Monde.
(d) Les Deux Enfants.
7. What is the name of the bill supported by Le Pen which would have required people inform police if they had a foreign guest?
(a) Crise bill.
(b) Vichy bill.
(c) Le Pen's bill.
(d) Debre bill.
8. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
(a) Work and food.
(b) Sex and food.
(c) Hunting and food.
(d) Books and music.
9. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
(a) The government installed automated ticket takers.
(b) The workers went on strike.
(c) A new elevator was installed.
(d) Security cameras were being mounted on the tower.
10. What did Adam and Martha buy from BHV, that they had to return in The Winter Circus?
(a) A toaster.
(b) An iron.
(c) A television.
(d) A teapot.
11. Which nationality champions producerism, according to Gopnik?
12. How does Gopnik's turkey in The Strike compare with his previous experiences with turkeys?
(a) It tastes much poorer than other turkeys he has had.
(b) It is much more salty than he remembers turkey being.
(c) It is the best tasting turkey he has ever had.
(d) It has a very tough texture, but still tastes good.
13. How does the taxidermy shop make most of its money in Winter Circus?
(a) Stuffing exotic animals from hunting expeditions.
(b) Selling bugs and butterflies to collectors.
(c) Stuffing beloved family pets.
(d) Stuffing animals for various zoos.
14. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Julia Child.
(b) Helene Berchtold.
(c) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(d) Auguste Excoffier.
15. How did the prosecution consider Papon's sentence?
(a) They saw it as a complete failure as he was not sentenced to death.
(b) They were indifferent to the sentence because the trial was more important than its outcome.
(c) The were shocked by its outcome.
(d) They saw it as a victory for bringing down a powerful man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie star did Gopnik and his cousin fall in love with, when they were boys?
2. How do French intellectuals regard the affect of American culture on France?
3. Where is Luke's baby-sitter Nisha from?
4. What was Martha's profession?
5. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)