|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way was Gopnik worried that the strike would affect his life in the chapter The Strike?
(a) He was worried that his telephone service would be interrupted.
(b) He was worried he wouldn't be able to use the metro for his daily commute.
(c) He was worried his apartment would be vandalized.
(d) He was worried he would not receive a turkey he had ordered.
2. What was Papon accused of during his trial?
(a) Embezzlement of goods taken from Jewish holocaust victims.
(b) First degree murder.
(d) Complicity in crimes against humanity.
3. What class is most enthusiastic about the strikes in France?
(a) The upper class.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The lower class.
(d) All classes are equally invested in strikes.
4. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
5. What gym did Adam and Martha first try out on in Paris?
(a) The health club at the Ritz.
(b) Place Americaine.
(d) Regiment Rouge.
6. Where is Luke's baby-sitter Nisha from?
(a) Sri Lanka.
7. What is the name of Adam's cousin who had fled Paris for London and made a small fortune in banking?
8. What was Martha's profession?
(a) She was a librarian.
(b) She was a dancer.
(c) She was a screenwriter.
(d) She was a nurse.
9. What is the name of the bill supported by Le Pen which would have required people inform police if they had a foreign guest?
(a) Crise bill.
(b) Debre bill.
(c) Vichy bill.
(d) Le Pen's bill.
10. How many haute couture shows were in Paris in Couture Shock?
11. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
12. What year did Gopnik enjoy his first stay in Paris for one year?
13. How old is Juppe in Private Domain?
14. Where is Adam attending the Baudrillard seminar in Winter Circus?
(a) Lycee Paris.
(b) The Beaubourg.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The Sorbonne.
15. Who appointed Juppe to his position as Prime Minister?
(a) He was voted in by the populace.
(b) Christine Ockrent.
(c) Edouard Balladur.
(d) Jacques Chirac.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
2. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
3. How many remotes does Gopnik receive for his television in Winter Circus?
4. Shortly after the problem with the tourist, why was the tower closed for several days in Trouble at the Tower?
5. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)