|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book written by Juppe does Gopnik mention in Private Domain?
(a) L'Affaire des logements.
(b) La Tentation de Vinse.
2. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) Stones on his walkman.
(b) He watches CNN on the television.
(c) He listens to the conversation of those working out around him.
(d) He listens to a book on tape.
3. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
(a) The Gucci show.
(b) The Valentio show.
(c) The Givenchy Show.
(d) The Yves St. Laurent show.
4. How long did the jury deliberate in the Papon case?
(a) Three days.
(b) One hour.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) All night.
5. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
(b) Christian Lacroix.
(c) Yves Saint Laurent.
(d) Olivier Lapidus.
6. What is the title of the daily sports paper in France?
(a) Le Monde.
(d) Le Sports.
7. What did Adam have to undergo before he was allowed to work out on the machines at this gym?
(a) He had to have a background check.
(b) He had to pass a test on safety exam.
(c) He had to get his eyes checked.
(d) A consultation with the gym "professeur."
8. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
(a) Five hundred dollars a month.
(b) One thousand dollars a month.
(c) Five thousand dollars a month.
(d) Three thousand dollars a month.
9. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
(a) Sex and food.
(b) Hunting and food.
(c) Work and food.
(d) Books and music.
10. How many remotes does Gopnik receive for his television in Winter Circus?
11. What magazine is Nicole Wisniak an editor for?
(d) Marie Claire.
12. How does Gopnik's turkey in The Strike compare with his previous experiences with turkeys?
(a) It has a very tough texture, but still tastes good.
(b) It tastes much poorer than other turkeys he has had.
(c) It is the best tasting turkey he has ever had.
(d) It is much more salty than he remembers turkey being.
13. What is the name of the gym Adam and Martha eventually join?
(a) The Ritz health club.
(c) Place Americaine.
(d) Regiment Rouge.
14. What does Nisha's spouse do for a job?
(a) He is a professor.
(b) He is a chef.
(c) He is a doctor.
(d) He is a chauffeur.
15. What is the name of the post-structuralist philosopher that enjoys French cuisine?
(a) Freitz Carem.
(b) Cesar Ritz.
(c) Baroness de Rothschild.
(d) Eugenio Donato.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
2. Who appointed Juppe to his position as Prime Minister?
3. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
4. After the tourist, a successful writer, formed a complaint against the tower employee in Trouble at the Tower, what action was taken?
5. What restaurant does Gopnik attend at the end of The Crisis of French Cooking where he has a wonderful French meal?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)