|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Adam first hear about the bomb going off in the Left Bank?
(a) From the television.
(b) In the newspaper, Le Monde.
(c) From the lady who keeps the striped-pajama boutique.
(d) From the street sweeper.
2. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
(a) The Valentio show.
(b) The Yves St. Laurent show.
(c) The Gucci show.
(d) The Givenchy Show.
3. What was the profession of Gopnik's parents?
(a) They were artists.
(b) They were chefs.
(c) They were college professors.
(d) They were both writers.
4. What error displays most often on Gopnik's fax machine?
(a) Pas d'identitie.
(b) Erreur distante.
(c) Bourage de papier.
(d) Pas de probleme.
5. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) He watches CNN on the television.
(b) He listens to a book on tape.
(c) Stones on his walkman.
(d) He listens to the conversation of those working out around him.
6. What is the name of Adam's cousin who had fled Paris for London and made a small fortune in banking?
7. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
(a) Real candles on the boughs.
(b) A nutcracker hidden in the boughs.
(c) A series of cuts in the stem marking the day it was cut.
(d) A wooden cross at the bottom that makes it difficult to water the tree.
8. Where are most of the fashion shows held in Couture Shock?
9. Where is Gopnik's fax machine made?
(a) It is made by France Telecom in France.
(b) It is made in China.
(c) It is a U.S. machine he brought over.
(d) It is made in Sweden.
10. What is the name of the post-structuralist philosopher that enjoys French cuisine?
(a) Eugenio Donato.
(b) Freitz Carem.
(c) Cesar Ritz.
(d) Baroness de Rothschild.
11. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Helene Berchtold.
(b) Julia Child.
(c) Auguste Excoffier.
(d) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
12. What did Adam's gym do to celebrate their opening?
(a) They hosted a concert.
(b) They hosted a relay race.
(c) The had a crepe party.
(d) They had a dance.
13. Which fashion show captivated Gopnik in the way of a "romantic cartoon," in Couture Shock?
(a) Olivier Lapidus.
(b) Yves Saint Laurent.
(c) Christian Lacroix.
14. How do French intellectuals regard the affect of American culture on France?
(a) They blame America for the decline of French art and literature.
(b) They are completely indifferent with American culture and don't even know prominent American authors.
(c) They love abstract influence from America and credit it with changing French thought.
(d) They think America has no influence whatsoever on the French arts.
15. Which is not one of the estimates of the number of domaine prive apartments listed in the chapter Private Domain?
(d) More than 4000.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not one of the restaurants mentioned in the first chapter, Paris to the Moon?
2. What did Adam have to undergo before he was allowed to work out on the machines at this gym?
3. What year did Gopnik enjoy his first stay in Paris for one year?
4. What is the stadium eventually named in The Rules of the Sport?
5. Who wrote the treatise L'Horreur Economique?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)