|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the marquee of the Cafe de Flore?
(a) Green with gilt lettering.
(b) White with black lettering.
(c) White with green lettering.
(d) Red with black lettering.
2. How many haute couture shows were in Paris in Couture Shock?
3. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
(a) The railroad workers.
(b) The sanitation workers.
(c) Police officers.
(d) Telephone company workers.
4. What is the name of the author of Les Enfants de Saturne, who Gopnik contacts in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) Charles Maurras.
(b) Jean-Paul Enthove.
(c) Roger Cazes.
(d) Paul Boubal.
5. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Auguste Excoffier.
(b) Julia Child.
(c) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(d) Helene Berchtold.
6. According to legend, what is supposed to take the place of sports for men in France?
(a) Books and music.
(b) Work and food.
(c) Hunting and food.
(d) Sex and food.
7. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
(a) A wooden cross at the bottom that makes it difficult to water the tree.
(b) Real candles on the boughs.
(c) A series of cuts in the stem marking the day it was cut.
(d) A nutcracker hidden in the boughs.
8. How old is Luke when the Gopniks arrived in Paris?
(a) 8 months old.
(b) 4 months old.
(c) One year old.
(d) Two years old.
9. What did Adam have to undergo before he was allowed to work out on the machines at this gym?
(a) He had to pass a test on safety exam.
(b) He had to have a background check.
(c) He had to get his eyes checked.
(d) A consultation with the gym "professeur."
10. What is remarkable about the turkey that Gopnik receives in The Strike?
(a) It was shipped from America.
(b) It is extremely large.
(c) It has not been frozen and was raised in open air.
(d) It is a rare breed of turkey.
11. What is the name of the taxidermy shop on rue du Bac?
12. What is Gopnik's model of fax machine?
(a) Galeo 5000.
(b) Le Premiere fax.
(c) Le Presidente.
(d) Timprenteur 2000.
13. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
(a) Three times a week.
(b) Four times a week.
(c) Once per week.
(d) Twice a week.
14. Which is not one of the estimates of the number of domaine prive apartments listed in the chapter Private Domain?
(d) More than 4000.
15. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
(a) The Valentio show.
(b) The Gucci show.
(c) The Givenchy Show.
(d) The Yves St. Laurent show.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
2. What magazine is Nicole Wisniak an editor for?
3. What is the name of Adam's cousin who had fled Paris for London and made a small fortune in banking?
4. How much had Juppe rented his apartment to himself for?
5. What is the name of the restaurant who created the complex dessert of braised tomato?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)