|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day did the strike begin on?
(a) October 11.
(b) November 24.
(c) December 1.
(d) December 24.
2. Which is not one of the animals mentioned in the taxidermy shop in Winter Circus?
(c) Polar Bear.
3. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
(a) He need to pay an outstanding parking ticket.
(b) He needed to undergo a physical.
(c) He needed to have his photograph taken.
(d) He needed to take an exam proving his language abilities.
4. What gym did Adam and Martha first try out on in Paris?
(a) Regiment Rouge.
(b) The health club at the Ritz.
(d) Place Americaine.
5. How long did the jury deliberate in the Papon case?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) All night.
(c) Three days.
(d) One hour.
6. What do the French insist on putting on their Christmas trees?
(a) A wooden cross at the bottom that makes it difficult to water the tree.
(b) A nutcracker hidden in the boughs.
(c) Real candles on the boughs.
(d) A series of cuts in the stem marking the day it was cut.
7. What is the name of the satirical paper that Gopnik buys every Wednesday?
(a) Le Canard Enchaine.
(b) Le Monde.
(d) Les Deux Enfants.
8. Which is not one of the estimates of the number of domaine prive apartments listed in the chapter Private Domain?
(c) More than 4000.
9. What is the name of the author of Les Enfants de Saturne, who Gopnik contacts in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) Paul Boubal.
(b) Jean-Paul Enthove.
(c) Charles Maurras.
(d) Roger Cazes.
10. How did Karen Mulder "steal the show" at the Yves Saint Laurent show?
(a) She wore a jaw dropping red dress created for her by the designer.
(b) She slapped Claudia Schiffer.
(c) She wore a see through top and covered her breats with her fingertips.
(d) She sat next to Georgio Armani and refused to acknowledge Christian Lacroix.
11. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
12. What color is the marquee of the Cafe Deux Magots?
(a) White with green lettering.
(b) White with red lettering.
(c) Green with gilt lettering.
(d) Black with gilt lettering.
13. What was Papon accused of during his trial?
(b) Embezzlement of goods taken from Jewish holocaust victims.
(c) Complicity in crimes against humanity.
(d) First degree murder.
14. Where did Papon flee to after he was convicted?
15. What color is the marquee of the Cafe de Flore?
(a) Green with gilt lettering.
(b) White with green lettering.
(c) Red with black lettering.
(d) White with black lettering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Martha's profession?
2. Who wrote the treatise L'Horreur Economique?
3. Where are most of the fashion shows held in Couture Shock?
4. What is not one of the names suggested for the new stadium in The Rules of the Sport?
5. What did Adam have to undergo before he was allowed to work out on the machines at this gym?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)