|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Auguste Excoffier.
(b) Helene Berchtold.
(c) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(d) Julia Child.
2. How many Jews were deported to Auschwitz death camp while Papon was in power?
3. What was Martha's profession?
(a) She was a librarian.
(b) She was a nurse.
(c) She was a screenwriter.
(d) She was a dancer.
4. What was Papon accused of during his trial?
(a) Embezzlement of goods taken from Jewish holocaust victims.
(b) Complicity in crimes against humanity.
(c) First degree murder.
5. What was the profession of Gopnik's parents?
(a) They were both writers.
(b) They were college professors.
(c) They were chefs.
(d) They were artists.
6. How old is Juppe in Private Domain?
7. Which area of Paris does Gopnik find his apartment in?
(a) The Sixth Arrondissement.
(b) The Seventh Arrondissement.
(c) He isn't able to find an apartment in Paris and moves to the suburbs.
(d) The Fourth Arrondissment.
8. What error displays most often on Gopnik's fax machine?
(a) Pas de probleme.
(b) Bourage de papier.
(c) Erreur distante.
(d) Pas d'identitie.
9. Which is not one of the animals mentioned in the taxidermy shop in Winter Circus?
(d) Polar Bear.
10. What position did Maurice Papon have in the Gironde department?
(a) He was a magistrate.
(b) He was the governor.
(c) He was the mayor of Bordeaux.
(d) He was the secretary general.
11. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
12. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
(a) The Yves St. Laurent show.
(b) The Valentio show.
(c) The Gucci show.
(d) The Givenchy Show.
13. How does Paris look at the time of the strike in the chapter, The Strike?
(a) It seems cheerful and sunny and spring is coming.
(b) The city seems gray and drab in the wake of all the negative strike propaganda.
(c) It is very dirty due to the sanitation workers striking.
(d) It is decorated for Christmas.
14. Where are most of the fashion shows held in Couture Shock?
15. When did Gopnik and his wife go to Paris before their move there in 1995?
(a) They went there on their honeymoon.
(b) They lived there for their first year of marriage in 1989.
(c) They stayed there for a week before they were married.
(d) They had never been to Paris together before the move in 1995.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke like to do outside the toy store on the boulevard Saint-Germain?
2. When Gopnik sits on a panel in Distant Errors, who does the panel blame for the American dominance of culture?
3. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
4. Which workers were the first to begin a strike in the chapter The Strike?
5. Where is Luke's baby-sitter Nisha from?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)