|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Adam listen to when he road the bicycle in The Rules of the Sport?
(a) He watches CNN on the television.
(b) He listens to the conversation of those working out around him.
(c) Stones on his walkman.
(d) He listens to a book on tape.
2. What prevents signs and cultures from going universal?
3. What does Gopnik call the notion that Americans wanted to consume in a world where workers were hidden or dressed up as nonhumans, so as not to be disconcerting?
(a) Disney World.
(c) Paris in July.
4. Where did Papon flee to after he was convicted?
5. What did Gopnik need to do before he could receive his carte de sejour?
(a) He needed to have his photograph taken.
(b) He needed to undergo a physical.
(c) He needed to take an exam proving his language abilities.
(d) He need to pay an outstanding parking ticket.
6. How long did the jury deliberate in the Papon case?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) All night.
(d) One hour.
7. How do French intellectuals regard the affect of American culture on France?
(a) They think America has no influence whatsoever on the French arts.
(b) They are completely indifferent with American culture and don't even know prominent American authors.
(c) They love abstract influence from America and credit it with changing French thought.
(d) They blame America for the decline of French art and literature.
8. Where does Adam take Luke on rainy days?
(a) The Ritz pool.
(b) The taxidermy shop.
(c) The Luxembourg Gardens.
(d) The toy store.
9. What did Adam have to undergo before he was allowed to work out on the machines at this gym?
(a) He had to have a background check.
(b) He had to get his eyes checked.
(c) He had to pass a test on safety exam.
(d) A consultation with the gym "professeur."
10. Why don't Adam and Nicole eat at Cafe de Flores in A Tale of Two Cafes?
(a) It is unfashionable.
(b) Nicole does not like the food.
(c) It is too expensive.
(d) There aren't any tables available.
11. Where are most of the fashion shows held in Couture Shock?
12. Who does Gopnik trace the history of French cuisine to?
(a) Jean-Paul LaChevre.
(b) Helene Berchtold.
(c) Julia Child.
(d) Auguste Excoffier.
13. How many visits did Adam's new gym suggest he have per week for a "New York-style" commitment?
(a) Four times a week.
(b) Three times a week.
(c) Once per week.
(d) Twice a week.
14. What error displays most often on Gopnik's fax machine?
(a) Pas de probleme.
(b) Bourage de papier.
(c) Erreur distante.
(d) Pas d'identitie.
15. What magazine is Nicole Wisniak an editor for?
(c) Marie Claire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality was the tourist that got off on the first platform rather than the second in Trouble at the Tower?
2. Which publication first revealed that Juppe had leased an apartment from the domaine privee of the city of Paris?
3. What was the unemployment rate in France in The Chill?
4. What was the first fashion show that Gopnik attended in France?
5. What class is most enthusiastic about the strikes in France?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)