|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into whose ear does Satan whisper?
2. With whom does Satan say people will have equal favor?
3. Abdiel say the ruler should be chosen by _________.
4. Which of the following is not a chief demon?
5. With what does God say Satan will pervert mankind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Satan think it is best to stay in Hell?
2. What theme do Satan's doubts introduce to the poem?
3. How does Uriel recognize Satan as an evil spirit?
4. How did Satan rebel against God?
5. Of what does Raphael remind Adam and Eve?
6. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
7. What does Mammon suggest?
8. How does Satan motivate his troops in Book 6?
9. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
10. What is Satan's role in Paradise Lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the differences between the novel and poetry formats. What do the students think are the main elements of a novel? What do the students think are the main elements of a poem? What can novelists express that a poet cannot? How does a poet express deep character in so few words?
Essay Topic 2
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two different settings in the novel and discuss how different characters act in different settings and the reasons why. For example, what is it about Paradise that makes Satan so uncomfortable?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)