|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Satan cast out of heaven?
2. About what new race does Beelzebub speak?
3. On what story does Adam ask Raphael to elaborate?
4. To whom does Raphael say Adam and Eve owe their happiness?
5. What does Satan say hypocrisy is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Satan think they can defeat God?
2. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
3. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
4. What will happen on the third day of the fight?
5. How does Satan get past Uriel?
6. Why does Adam still feel hope?
7. What is Satan's role in Paradise Lost?
8. How does Satan raise his followers from the Lake of Fire?
9. In what way are angels similar to humans?
10. How do Satan's followers meet his announcement that they have destroyed God's creation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is blank verse? What meaning do the students think it can convey in comparison to lyric poetry? Why do the students think John Milton uses blank verse in Paradise Lost? What kind of texture does it give the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Milton represents Paradise as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Paradise give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
Essay Topic 3
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
This section contains 1,517 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)