Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resources do Satan and his followers possess to make the machines?
2. For what does Satan say he is fighting?
3. What is the name of Satan's palace?
4. What is the name of the trumpet that is sounded?
5. What is Raphael's natural shape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme does the Son of God's sacrifice introduce?
2. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
3. What does Mammon suggest?
4. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
5. How will man get to the promised land?
6. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
7. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
8. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
9. What does Beezlebub advise?
10. Why does Satan think it is best to stay in Hell?
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Milton represents Hell as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Hell give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two different settings in the novel and discuss how different characters act in different settings and the reasons why. For example, what is it about Paradise that makes Satan so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the poem. Why do you think these themes are so important? How does Milton use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)