|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a chief demon?
2. What does Satan say is the only thing that Heaven has?
3. Who stands guard at the newly created world?
4. What does Uriel recognize Satan as?
5. To where do Satan and Beelzebub fly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen on the third day of the fight?
2. Who are the Chief Demons?
3. What does Moloch advise?
4. How does Satan motivate his troops in Book 6?
5. What does Mammon suggest?
6. How does Satan think they can defeat God?
7. How does Satan raise his followers from the Lake of Fire?
8. How will the Son of God be rewarded for making himself a sacrifice?
9. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
10. Describe the doubts that Satan has in Book 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 2
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
Essay Topic 3
Milton wrote Paradise Lost in the 17th Century. Think about the world and, in particular, Britain during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to Britain's political or social environment in the 17th Century? If so, how?
2) Is Milton's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)