|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Satan say they can use against heaven instead of violence?
2. What has God limited so the armies cannot cause too much destruction?
3. What happens to Satan's face when he speaks to Uriel?
4. Where do the spirits fight battles?
5. How does God say his son will be made flesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must Adam and Eve be able to choose their own fate?
2. In what does Hell have an advantage over Heaven?
3. Why does Satan think it is best to stay in Hell?
4. Why does Satan choose Eve as his victim?
5. Describe the doubts that Satan has in Book 4.
6. What does Mammon suggest?
7. Who are the Chief Demons?
8. What does Beezlebub advise?
9. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
10. What argument does Abdiel present to Satan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paradise lost is made up of 12 books. Examine the structure of the poem.
1) How does Milton develop the theme of good and evil?
2) Why do Milton actually mention that the story is changing into a tragedy?
3) How does the structure subvert what we already know about the story of the Fall of Man?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters from the poem.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What are the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the poem change if the character were taken away?
Essay Topic 3
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)