|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Adam and Eve have to do to dwell in heaven and paradise?
2. Whose assistance does the narrator ask for in the retelling of the story?
3. Where is Satan imprisoned?
4. What does Satan pretend when he sets up his kingdom in the north?
5. What does Eve tell Adam about in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Satan's battle with God a metaphor?
2. Why does God congratulate the returning Abdiel?
3. What does Belial argue?
4. What argument does Abdiel present to Satan?
5. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
6. Who are the Chief Demons?
7. Why has God chosen knowledge as the forbidden fruit?
8. What theme does the Son of God's sacrifice introduce?
9. Of what does Raphael remind Adam and Eve?
10. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 2
Milton wrote Paradise Lost in the 17th Century. Think about the world and, in particular, Britain during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to Britain's political or social environment in the 17th Century? If so, how?
2) Is Milton's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)