|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the angel next to the tree of knowledge tempt Eve to eat?
2. What argument does Satan set before his followers?
3. What does Eve tell Adam about in the morning?
4. Who guards the gates of Eden?
5. Which two angels are sent to lead God's army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Satan motivate his troops in Book 6?
2. Describe the doubts that Satan has in Book 4.
3. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
4. Why is the knowledge of information different from the knowledge of experience?
5. How does Uriel recognize Satan as an evil spirit?
6. For what is Satan's battle with God a metaphor?
7. Why will man's fall be the fault of man?
8. How does Satan think they can defeat God?
9. Why does Satan think it is best to stay in Hell?
10. Why would machines be a good idea in Satan's fight against God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters from the poem.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What are the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the poem change if the character were taken away?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Satan and God.
1) Are they both black-and-white representations of good and evil or are they more complex?
2) What is their relationship to each other? Is their rivalry only Satan's side?
Essay Topic 3
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)