|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The spirits sing about _________.
2. Who is the only person who can detect hypocrisy?
3. Whose assistance does the narrator ask for in the retelling of the story?
4. What has God limited so the armies cannot cause too much destruction?
5. What does Abdiel call Satan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Satan choose Eve as his victim?
2. How does Uriel recognize Satan as an evil spirit?
3. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
4. Why has God chosen knowledge as the forbidden fruit?
5. Why does God congratulate the returning Abdiel?
6. What theme do Satan's doubts introduce to the poem?
7. Who are the Chief Demons?
8. Why must Adam and Eve be able to choose their own fate?
9. What argument does Abdiel present to Satan?
10. What does Beezlebub advise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two different settings in the novel and discuss how different characters act in different settings and the reasons why. For example, what is it about Paradise that makes Satan so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 2
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 3
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)