|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who guards the gates of hell?
2. Why does the son of God need to be turned into a man?
3. How many banners do the fallen angels raise?
4. Which of Satan's followers suggests they increase their power with machines?
5. Who does Gabriel instruct to find the evil spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
2. Who are the Chief Demons?
3. What is Satan's role in Paradise Lost?
4. Why does Satan choose Eve as his victim?
5. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
6. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
7. Why would machines be a good idea in Satan's fight against God?
8. Why must Adam and Eve be able to choose their own fate?
9. In what does Hell have an advantage over Heaven?
10. What does Belial argue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Milton represents Hell as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Hell give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the poem.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What are the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the poem change if the character were taken away?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)