|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Raphael say Adam and Eve owe their happiness?
2. What does Satan say is the only thing that Heaven has?
3. What is Raphael's natural shape?
4. Who stands beside God?
5. What is the name of Satan's second in command?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uriel recognize Satan as an evil spirit?
2. How does Satan get past Uriel?
3. What theme do Satan's doubts introduce to the poem?
4. What will happen on the third day of the fight?
5. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
6. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
7. How does Satan motivate his troops in Book 6?
8. Why is the knowledge of information different from the knowledge of experience?
9. In what does Hell have an advantage over Heaven?
10. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Milton represents Hell as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Hell give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
Essay Topic 2
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)