|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the spirits battles cause?
2. What will the chosen one do to save mankind?
3. Why does Moloch suggest an open war?
4. For whom has God saved victory ?
5. Where does Satan set up a new kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
2. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
3. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
4. What will happen on the third day of the fight?
5. How did Satan rebel against God?
6. What is Satan's role in Paradise Lost?
7. How does Satan raise his followers from the Lake of Fire?
8. What theme do Satan's doubts introduce to the poem?
9. Why must Adam and Eve be able to choose their own fate?
10. How does Satan motivate his troops in Book 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the differences between the novel and poetry formats. What do the students think are the main elements of a novel? What do the students think are the main elements of a poem? What can novelists express that a poet cannot? How does a poet express deep character in so few words?
Essay Topic 2
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 3
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)