|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the spirits fight battles?
2. The spirits sing about _________.
3. How is Satan turned back to his original form?
4. How do Adam and Eve begin the day?
5. Why does the son of God need to be turned into a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
2. Why will man's fall be the fault of man?
3. What does Moloch advise?
4. Why would machines be a good idea in Satan's fight against God?
5. What does Belial argue?
6. Why does Satan choose Eve as his victim?
7. How does Satan get past Uriel?
8. What does Beezlebub advise?
9. How will the Son of God be rewarded for making himself a sacrifice?
10. Why is the knowledge of information different from the knowledge of experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 2
Milton wrote Paradise Lost in the 17th Century. Think about the world and, in particular, Britain during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to Britain's political or social environment in the 17th Century? If so, how?
2) Is Milton's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)