|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Abdiel travel back to after leaving Satan?
2. What stops Satan from speaking?
3. How do Adam and Eve begin the day?
4. Who already lives in Paradise?
5. With what does God say Satan will pervert mankind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Moloch advise?
2. What does Belial argue?
3. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
4. What theme do Satan's doubts introduce to the poem?
5. Why has God chosen knowledge as the forbidden fruit?
6. Describe the doubts that Satan has in Book 4.
7. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
8. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
9. Why does Satan choose Eve as his victim?
10. In what does Hell have an advantage over Heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the poem. Why do you think these themes are so important? How does Milton use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact of good and evil within our culture. Do the students think representations of good and evil have had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things simpler than what they are? Does Milton subvert any ideas of good and evil in Paradise Lost. How much has the representation of good and evil changed since the 17th Century?
Essay Topic 3
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)