|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only one of Satan's followers who disagrees?
2. Who is the last fallen angel to stand at the meeting?
3. Who warns Gabriel of the evil spirit?
4. Eating from the tree of knowledge would make Adam and Eve equal to ____________.
5. What does man have that allows him to make a decision between good and evil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Satan's followers meet his announcement that they have destroyed God's creation?
2. What theme do Satan's doubts introduce to the poem?
3. What does Beezlebub advise?
4. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
5. Why does Adam still feel hope?
6. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
7. How do the angels comfort Adam?
8. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
9. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
10. What has Adam learned from his experience?
Essay Topic 1
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Milton represents Hell as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Hell give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the poem. Why do you think these themes are so important? How does Milton use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,579 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)