|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Satan pretend when he sets up his kingdom in the north?
2. With what does God say Satan will pervert mankind?
3. The spirits sing about _________.
4. Who leads the building of Satan's palace?
5. What did the angel next to the tree of knowledge tempt Eve to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme does the Son of God's sacrifice introduce?
2. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
3. For what is Satan's battle with God a metaphor?
4. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
5. In what does Hell have an advantage over Heaven?
6. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
7. How does Satan motivate his troops in Book 6?
8. Why must Adam and Eve be able to choose their own fate?
9. How does Satan think they can defeat God?
10. Why does Satan choose Eve as his victim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two different settings in the novel and discuss how different characters act in different settings and the reasons why. For example, what is it about Paradise that makes Satan so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 2
Milton wrote Paradise Lost in the 17th Century. Think about the world and, in particular, Britain during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to Britain's political or social environment in the 17th Century? If so, how?
2) Is Milton's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Milton represents Paradise as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Paradise give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)