|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what tree can Adam and Eve not eat?
2. What does Michael cause Satan to experience for the first time?
3. What are Adam and Eve wearing?
4. Who does Gabriel instruct to find the evil spirit?
5. Where do the spirits fight battles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
2. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
3. Why would machines be a good idea in Satan's fight against God?
4. What will happen on the third day of the fight?
5. Why does God not stop Satan from destroying paradise?
6. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
7. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
8. What does Beezlebub advise?
9. Why will man's fall be the fault of man?
10. For what is Satan's battle with God a metaphor?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the poem. Why do you think these themes are so important? How does Milton use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact of good and evil within our culture. Do the students think representations of good and evil have had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things simpler than what they are? Does Milton subvert any ideas of good and evil in Paradise Lost. How much has the representation of good and evil changed since the 17th Century?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the poem.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What are the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the poem change if the character were taken away?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)