|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resources do Satan and his followers possess to make the machines?
2. For what does Satan say he is fighting?
3. What is the name of Satan's palace?
4. What is the name of the trumpet that is sounded?
5. What is Raphael's natural shape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme does the Son of God's sacrifice introduce?
2. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
3. What does Mammon suggest?
4. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
5. How will man get to the promised land?
6. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
7. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
8. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
9. What does Beezlebub advise?
10. Why does Satan think it is best to stay in Hell?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement: "Milton's poem is not too close to the Bible story to express anything that is different."
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact of good and evil within our culture. Do the students think representations of good and evil have had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things simpler than what they are? Does Milton subvert any ideas of good and evil in Paradise Lost. How much has the representation of good and evil changed since the 17th Century?
Essay Topic 3
What is blank verse? What meaning do the students think it can convey in comparison to lyric poetry? Why do the students think John Milton uses blank verse in Paradise Lost? What kind of texture does it give the poem?
This section contains 1,534 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)