|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where do Satan and Beelzebub fly?
2. About what new race does Beelzebub speak?
3. How many banners do the fallen angels raise?
4. What stops Satan from speaking?
5. The tree of life is next to ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
2. What theme does the Son of God's sacrifice introduce?
3. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
4. How does Satan get past Uriel?
5. How did Satan rebel against God?
6. What does Belial argue?
7. Of what does Raphael remind Adam and Eve?
8. What does Beezlebub advise?
9. How can the Son of God defeat evil?
10. Why does Satan choose Eve as his victim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paradise lost is made up of 12 books. Examine the structure of the poem.
1) How does Milton develop the theme of good and evil?
2) Why do Milton actually mention that the story is changing into a tragedy?
3) How does the structure subvert what we already know about the story of the Fall of Man?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Milton represents Paradise as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Paradise give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact of good and evil within our culture. Do the students think representations of good and evil have had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things simpler than what they are? Does Milton subvert any ideas of good and evil in Paradise Lost. How much has the representation of good and evil changed since the 17th Century?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)