|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a chief demon?
2. Who stands guard at the newly created world?
3. What two people does Satan see in the garden?
4. Who stands beside God?
5. For what does Satan say he is fighting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will the Son of God be rewarded for making himself a sacrifice?
2. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
3. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
4. What argument does Abdiel present to Satan?
5. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
6. For what is Satan's battle with God a metaphor?
7. Of what does Raphael remind Adam and Eve?
8. How did Satan rebel against God?
9. Why does God congratulate the returning Abdiel?
10. What is Satan's role in Paradise Lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Milton wrote Paradise Lost in the 17th Century. Think about the world and, in particular, Britain during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to Britain's political or social environment in the 17th Century? If so, how?
2) Is Milton's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time?
Essay Topic 3
What is blank verse? What meaning do the students think it can convey in comparison to lyric poetry? Why do the students think John Milton uses blank verse in Paradise Lost? What kind of texture does it give the poem?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)