|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Uriel direct Satan?
2. What is Raphael's natural shape?
3. With whom does Satan say people will have equal favor?
4. Eating from the tree of knowledge would make Adam and Eve equal to ____________.
5. What is the story meant to explore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Belial argue?
2. How can the Son of God defeat evil?
3. What will happen on the third day of the fight?
4. What does Mammon suggest?
5. Describe the doubts that Satan has in Book 4.
6. Of what does Raphael remind Adam and Eve?
7. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
8. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
9. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
10. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two different settings in the novel and discuss how different characters act in different settings and the reasons why. For example, what is it about Paradise that makes Satan so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact of good and evil within our culture. Do the students think representations of good and evil have had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things simpler than what they are? Does Milton subvert any ideas of good and evil in Paradise Lost. How much has the representation of good and evil changed since the 17th Century?
Essay Topic 3
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)