|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The spirits sing about _________.
2. What resources do Satan and his followers possess to make the machines?
3. The tree of life is next to ___________.
4. What is Satan trying to find at the end of the book?
5. Which demon claims the right to carry Satan's standard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will man's fall be the fault of man?
2. What will happen on the third day of the fight?
3. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
4. What does Moloch advise?
5. Who are the Chief Demons?
6. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
7. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
8. How does Satan get past Uriel?
9. How does Satan think they can defeat God?
10. How can the Son of God defeat evil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)