|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God feel when he looks down on Adam and Eve in this chapter?
2. What is the name of Satan's palace?
3. Where do the spirits fight battles?
4. Into what tree does Satan fly?
5. Abdiel say the ruler should be chosen by _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would machines be a good idea in Satan's fight against God?
2. In what does Hell have an advantage over Heaven?
3. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
4. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
5. Why does God congratulate the returning Abdiel?
6. Describe the doubts that Satan has in Book 4.
7. What is Satan's role in Paradise Lost?
8. How does Uriel recognize Satan as an evil spirit?
9. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
10. What argument does Abdiel present to Satan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement: "Milton's poem is not too close to the Bible story to express anything that is different."
Essay Topic 3
Compare Satan and God.
1) Are they both black-and-white representations of good and evil or are they more complex?
2) What is their relationship to each other? Is their rivalry only Satan's side?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)