|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wo hears Satan's army approach?
2. For what does God praise Abdiel?
3. What is the story meant to explore?
4. Why does Satan decide to stay in hell?
5. To where does Uriel direct Satan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will man's fall be the fault of man?
2. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
3. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
4. What argument does Abdiel present to Satan?
5. Why is the knowledge of information different from the knowledge of experience?
6. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
7. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
8. Why does Adam still feel hope?
9. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
10. Of what does Raphael remind Adam and Eve?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters from the poem.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What are the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the poem change if the character were taken away?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact of good and evil within our culture. Do the students think representations of good and evil have had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things simpler than what they are? Does Milton subvert any ideas of good and evil in Paradise Lost. How much has the representation of good and evil changed since the 17th Century?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two different settings in the novel and discuss how different characters act in different settings and the reasons why. For example, what is it about Paradise that makes Satan so uncomfortable?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)