|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters fight in this chapter?
2. On what story does Adam ask Raphael to elaborate?
3. Who stands guard at the newly created world?
4. What do the spirits find in Hell when they explore?
5. Who stands beside God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
2. How does Uriel recognize Satan as an evil spirit?
3. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
4. In what does Hell have an advantage over Heaven?
5. Describe the doubts that Satan has in Book 4.
6. How does Satan get past Uriel?
7. What will happen on the third day of the fight?
8. Why must Adam and Eve be able to choose their own fate?
9. How does Satan think they can defeat God?
10. Why is the knowledge of information different from the knowledge of experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is blank verse? What meaning do the students think it can convey in comparison to lyric poetry? Why do the students think John Milton uses blank verse in Paradise Lost? What kind of texture does it give the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the Fall of Man story that the poem was based upon. What are the similarities between the poem and the story? How much has Milton changed the story? Does Milton's poem have a different meaning from the story in Genesis?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)