|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of war does Moloch advise?
2. What can the spirits not find in hell?
3. What is the name of Satan's second in command?
4. What does Satan say they can use against heaven instead of violence?
5. What instrument signals the start of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must Adam and Eve be able to choose their own fate?
2. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
3. How did Satan rebel against God?
4. Describe the doubts that Satan has in Book 4.
5. How does Satan motivate his troops in Book 6?
6. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
7. How does Uriel recognize Satan as an evil spirit?
8. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
9. Why will man's fall be the fault of man?
10. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the differences between the novel and poetry formats. What do the students think are the main elements of a novel? What do the students think are the main elements of a poem? What can novelists express that a poet cannot? How does a poet express deep character in so few words?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Milton's style. How long is each line and verse? What kind of language does Milton use? How does Milton develop a rhythm to the poem? What meaning does his style give the book?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)