|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the son of God need to be turned into a man?
2. What stops Satan from speaking?
3. What does Satan say is the only thing that Heaven has?
4. What does Uriel recognize Satan as?
5. What do the spirits battles cause?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the knowledge of information different from the knowledge of experience?
2. What does Belial argue?
3. Why must Adam and Eve be able to choose their own fate?
4. What argument does Abdiel present to Satan?
5. How do you think Satan has attracted followers onto his side?
6. Why does Satan think it is best to stay in Hell?
7. What does Mammon suggest?
8. What does Beezlebub advise?
9. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
10. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the poem. Why do you think these themes are so important? How does Milton use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two different settings in the novel and discuss how different characters act in different settings and the reasons why. For example, what is it about Paradise that makes Satan so uncomfortable?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)