Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resources do Satan and his followers possess to make the machines?
2. For what does Satan say he is fighting?
3. What is the name of Satan's palace?
4. What is the name of the trumpet that is sounded?
5. What is Raphael's natural shape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme does the Son of God's sacrifice introduce?
2. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
3. What does Mammon suggest?
4. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
5. How will man get to the promised land?
6. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
7. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
8. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
9. What does Beezlebub advise?
10. Why does Satan think it is best to stay in Hell?
Essay Topic 1
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 2
Paradise lost is made up of 12 books. Examine the structure of the poem.
1) How does Milton develop the theme of good and evil?
2) Why do Milton actually mention that the story is changing into a tragedy?
3) How does the structure subvert what we already know about the story of the Fall of Man?
Essay Topic 3
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)