Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resources do Satan and his followers possess to make the machines?
2. For what does Satan say he is fighting?
3. What is the name of Satan's palace?
4. What is the name of the trumpet that is sounded?
5. What is Raphael's natural shape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme does the Son of God's sacrifice introduce?
2. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
3. What does Mammon suggest?
4. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
5. How will man get to the promised land?
6. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
7. What is Satan troubled with as he comes down from the sky?
8. How do the spirits of Hell amuse themselves while Satan is away?
9. What does Beezlebub advise?
10. Why does Satan think it is best to stay in Hell?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Satan and God.
1) Are they both black-and-white representations of good and evil or are they more complex?
2) What is their relationship to each other? Is their rivalry only Satan's side?
Essay Topic 2
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Milton represents Hell as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Hell give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)