|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many banners do the fallen angels raise?
2. Where does Satan want to send Adam and Eve?
3. What does God feel when he looks down on Adam and Eve in this chapter?
4. Where does Satan set up a new kingdom?
5. With whom does Satan say people will have equal favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does God congratulate the returning Abdiel?
2. Why has God chosen knowledge as the forbidden fruit?
3. What does Belial argue?
4. How does Adam comfort Eve when she worries about her dream?
5. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
6. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
7. What does Adam see in the field?
8. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
9. Why did God create another world?
10. How did Satan rebel against God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Satan and God.
1) Are they both black-and-white representations of good and evil or are they more complex?
2) What is their relationship to each other? Is their rivalry only Satan's side?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters from the poem.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What are the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the poem change if the character were taken away?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the differences between the novel and poetry formats. What do the students think are the main elements of a novel? What do the students think are the main elements of a poem? What can novelists express that a poet cannot? How does a poet express deep character in so few words?
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)