|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form do Gabriel and Uriel find Satan?
2. Who stands guard at the newly created world?
3. What is the name of Satan's palace?
4. To where does Uriel direct Satan?
5. What resources do Satan and his followers possess to make the machines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the knowledge of information different from the knowledge of experience?
2. Why can Satan not be redeemed?
3. How does Satan get past Uriel?
4. Who are the Chief Demons?
5. Describe Eve's bad dream in Book 5.
6. How can the Son of God defeat evil?
7. How does Satan think they can defeat God?
8. Why has God chosen knowledge as the forbidden fruit?
9. What argument does Abdiel present to Satan?
10. Of what does Raphael remind Adam and Eve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the differences between the novel and poetry formats. What do the students think are the main elements of a novel? What do the students think are the main elements of a poem? What can novelists express that a poet cannot? How does a poet express deep character in so few words?
Essay Topic 2
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the poem. Why do you think these themes are so important? How does Milton use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)