|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Menus forced to abandon the woman he brought from Virginia?
2. How many bodies does Roger pick up at the Convent?
3. The group that first arrived to found the town of Ruby shared a common dislike for what other group?
4. What is one possible reason that Menus drinks too much?
5. One day, who arrives at the Convent instead of Deek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Patricia's genealogy project turned into a way for her to express her negative view of the people of Ruby?
2. Why does Mavis buy toys every Christmas?
3. What do some of the people that try to stop the massacre seem more concerned about than the welfare of the women of the Convent?
4. Why does Gigi receive fifty dollars for the box she finds under the bathtub?
5. How do the women react to Lone's warning that men are coming to harm them?
6. What do the women of the Convent do after Connie draws their outlines on the basement floor?
7. What reasons does Patricia give for not approving of Richard's talks with the young people of the town?
8. What do Arnette and Soane have in common in terms of being parents?
9. According to Lone, what do the Fleetwoods blame on the women of the Convent, and why does Lone think this makes no sense?
10. Though she was welcomed back home by her father, why did Pallas return to the Convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the people of Ruby recreate the same prejudices and forms of discrimination that the founders were trying to escape?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the point of view in the novel "Paradise". Does the story come from a single narrator or multiple narrators? Does the point of view remain the same throughout the novel, or does it change, and what effect does this have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the final line of the book. How does the final line of the book relate to the entire preceding novel? How does this conception of paradise help explain the novel's title?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)