|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Richard and Anna contemplating?
2. How does Lone feel about the young couples' tendency to go to hospitals to deliver their babies?
3. In what conditions did the nuns find Consolata?
4. In addition to Senior Pullman, who presides at K.D. and Arnette's wedding?
5. How many children has Lone DuPres delivered since the last of the Fleetwood children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard Misner angry about?
2. What started the townspeople's idea that Billie was a wild child?
3. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
4. Why does Gigi receive fifty dollars for the box she finds under the bathtub?
5. What reasons does Patricia give for not approving of Richard's talks with the young people of the town?
6. Why does Mavis buy toys every Christmas?
7. Why do the Fleetwoods blame Lone for problems with their grandchildren, and what evidence is there that the situation was not Lone's fault?
8. Though she was welcomed back home by her father, why did Pallas return to the Convent?
9. Why do some people believe that Senior Pullman's negative remarks are directed at Richard Misner?
10. How do the women react to Lone's warning that men are coming to harm them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the overall tone of "Paradise"? Does the tone change from chapter to chapter? In the end, how much the narrator's tone affect your reception of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The novel does not have a simply linear plot progression. Describe the novel's plot progression and what effect this has on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Could the major conflict in the novel have been resolved any other way, or was the final outcome inevitable?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)