|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Consolata is known to the people of Ruby by what name?
2. When Richard Misner arrives to visit Patricia, what does he want to know?
3. What are Richard and Anna contemplating?
4. What did the nuns operate at the convent before loosing funding?
5. What does Lone hear the men plotting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Pallas Truelove's situation before she arrived at the Convent?
2. Why do many parents of the town instruct their children to stay away from Billie Delia, and is this reputation deserved?
3. How do the women react to Lone's warning that men are coming to harm them?
4. What do Arnette and Soane have in common in terms of being parents?
5. What are some possible reasons for Connie spending so much time in the basement?
6. What do some of the people that try to stop the massacre seem more concerned about than the welfare of the women of the Convent?
7. What is Richard Misner angry about?
8. Though she was welcomed back home by her father, why did Pallas return to the Convent?
9. How has Patricia's genealogy project turned into a way for her to express her negative view of the people of Ruby?
10. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Generally in fiction there is a clear protagonist and a clear antagonist. Can this be said of the novel "Paradise"? If you believe the novel contains a clear protagonist and antagonist, name them and explain how they fit these roles. If you believe there are no clear protagonists or antagonists, explain how this is the case.
Essay Topic 2
Offer a detailed theory about the meaning of the title of the novel. On the surface, neither Ruby nor the Convent seems like a paradise. What might Morrison have intended by choosing this title?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Mavis' family really intended or even wanted to kill her? Could there be another reason for Mavis believing that her family wanted to kill her?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)