Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lone when she hears the men talking?
2. Why is Richard concerned about Billie?
3. Connie and the man have regular meetings on what day of the week?
4. How many founding families arrived in Ruby?
5. What had happened to Lone's birth mother before the group headed to Ruby arrived?
Essay Topic 1
Offer a detailed theory about the meaning of the title of the novel. On the surface, neither Ruby nor the Convent seems like a paradise. What might Morrison have intended by choosing this title?
Essay Topic 2
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
Essay Topic 3
On multiple occasions the civil authority in the area of Ruby is referred to as the "white law." The "white law" is something no citizen of Ruby wants to come in contact with. Explain what citizens of Ruby mean by "white law" and offer explanations based on information from the text and your own knowledge of history about why citizens of Ruby would fear the "white law."
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)