|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Soane want Connie to help her with?
2. What was the occupation of the woman who took care of Lone after Lone's mother died?
3. How old was Connie when the man finally came to her?
4. Why is Billie skeptical about the chances of a happy marriage between Arnette and K.D.?
5. What does Lone do after hearing the men plotting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though she was welcomed back home by her father, why did Pallas return to the Convent?
2. Why do the Fleetwoods blame Lone for problems with their grandchildren, and what evidence is there that the situation was not Lone's fault?
3. What is Richard Misner angry about?
4. What do Arnette and Soane have in common in terms of being parents?
5. Why does Lone believe that the men of Ruby want to get rid of the women at the Convent?
6. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
7. What does Deek believe that the tea that Connie gave Soane causes, and why is this ironic?
8. What sort of prejudice does Patricia witness in Ruby?
9. What sort of dilemma does Billie face in her romantic life?
10. What reasons does Patricia give for not approving of Richard's talks with the young people of the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is an important literary tool. Examine the text for instances of foreshadowing. If instances are present, how do they impact the plot? If there are no instances of foreshadowing, a rare occurrence in a novel, how does the absence of foreshadowing affect the reader's reception of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Though the Morgan's are the wealthiest and most powerful people in Ruby, that is not to say that they have not faced their own hardships. Indeed, the Morgans have endured heartbreaking loses. Outline some of these loses and offer theories on why the loses did or did not affect the Morgan's views on race relations.
Essay Topic 3
Could the major conflict in the novel have been resolved any other way, or was the final outcome inevitable?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)