|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the original group traveling to what would become Ruby take some babies from their homes?
2. What in the basement attracts Connie?
3. Where do the women of the Convent dance?
4. What is one of the mishaps that the men of Ruby blame on the women of the Convent?
5. What was the man who built the Convent arrested for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mavis buy toys every Christmas?
2. What are some of K.D.'s thoughts about marriage that indicate that he still has an immature or naïve worldview?
3. What reasons does Patricia give for not approving of Richard's talks with the young people of the town?
4. Why do some people believe that Senior Pullman's negative remarks are directed at Richard Misner?
5. Why does Lone believe that the men of Ruby want to get rid of the women at the Convent?
6. What sort of prejudice does Patricia witness in Ruby?
7. Why do the Fleetwoods blame Lone for problems with their grandchildren, and what evidence is there that the situation was not Lone's fault?
8. How has Patricia's genealogy project turned into a way for her to express her negative view of the people of Ruby?
9. How do the town of Ruby and the Convent share joint responsibility for the field of marijuana?
10. What are some possible reasons for Connie spending so much time in the basement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though the Morgan's are the wealthiest and most powerful people in Ruby, that is not to say that they have not faced their own hardships. Indeed, the Morgans have endured heartbreaking loses. Outline some of these loses and offer theories on why the loses did or did not affect the Morgan's views on race relations.
Essay Topic 2
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the final line of the book. How does the final line of the book relate to the entire preceding novel? How does this conception of paradise help explain the novel's title?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)