|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women respond to Lone's warning?
2. What is one deed the Convent is blamed for that was actually committed by K.D.?
3. How does Lone feel about the young couples' tendency to go to hospitals to deliver their babies?
4. Who joins Pallas when she dances with the rest of the women at the Convent?
5. Why was Menus forced to abandon the woman he brought from Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the women of the Convent do after Connie draws their outlines on the basement floor?
2. Though she was welcomed back home by her father, why did Pallas return to the Convent?
3. Why does Lone believe that the men of Ruby want to get rid of the women at the Convent?
4. Why do some people believe that Senior Pullman's negative remarks are directed at Richard Misner?
5. What do some of the people that try to stop the massacre seem more concerned about than the welfare of the women of the Convent?
6. What do Arnette and Soane have in common in terms of being parents?
7. What are some of K.D.'s thoughts about marriage that indicate that he still has an immature or naïve worldview?
8. Why do the Fleetwoods blame Lone for problems with their grandchildren, and what evidence is there that the situation was not Lone's fault?
9. What reasons does Patricia give for not approving of Richard's talks with the young people of the town?
10. How has Patricia's genealogy project turned into a way for her to express her negative view of the people of Ruby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the final line of the book. How does the final line of the book relate to the entire preceding novel? How does this conception of paradise help explain the novel's title?
Essay Topic 2
Offer a detailed theory about the meaning of the title of the novel. On the surface, neither Ruby nor the Convent seems like a paradise. What might Morrison have intended by choosing this title?
Essay Topic 3
On multiple occasions the civil authority in the area of Ruby is referred to as the "white law." The "white law" is something no citizen of Ruby wants to come in contact with. Explain what citizens of Ruby mean by "white law" and offer explanations based on information from the text and your own knowledge of history about why citizens of Ruby would fear the "white law."
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)