|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lone DuPres's occupation?
2. The group that first arrived to found the town of Ruby shared a common dislike for what other group?
3. Who raised Lone DuPres?
4. One day, who arrives at the Convent instead of Deek?
5. What does Connie realize about Pallas before even Pallas knows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richard Misner angry about?
2. What does Deek believe that the tea that Connie gave Soane causes, and why is this ironic?
3. How has Patricia's genealogy project turned into a way for her to express her negative view of the people of Ruby?
4. What are some of K.D.'s thoughts about marriage that indicate that he still has an immature or naïve worldview?
5. What do the women of the Convent do after Connie draws their outlines on the basement floor?
6. What sort of prejudice does Patricia witness in Ruby?
7. Why does Lone believe that the men of Ruby want to get rid of the women at the Convent?
8. What sort of dilemma does Billie face in her romantic life?
9. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
10. Why do the Fleetwoods blame Lone for problems with their grandchildren, and what evidence is there that the situation was not Lone's fault?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the final line of the book. How does the final line of the book relate to the entire preceding novel? How does this conception of paradise help explain the novel's title?
Essay Topic 2
Offer a detailed theory about the meaning of the title of the novel. On the surface, neither Ruby nor the Convent seems like a paradise. What might Morrison have intended by choosing this title?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the setting of the novel "Paradise" both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)