|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two families display open animosity?
2. To what institution did the foundation donate the Convent?
3. What country was Consolata originally from?
4. What are Richard and Anna contemplating?
5. Why is Billie skeptical about the chances of a happy marriage between Arnette and K.D.?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lone, what do the Fleetwoods blame on the women of the Convent, and why does Lone think this makes no sense?
2. How do the town of Ruby and the Convent share joint responsibility for the field of marijuana?
3. What are some of K.D.'s thoughts about marriage that indicate that he still has an immature or naïve worldview?
4. What is Richard Misner angry about?
5. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
6. What are some possible reasons for Connie spending so much time in the basement?
7. What do Arnette and Soane have in common in terms of being parents?
8. Why do some people believe that Senior Pullman's negative remarks are directed at Richard Misner?
9. Why does Lone believe that the men of Ruby want to get rid of the women at the Convent?
10. What do some of the people that try to stop the massacre seem more concerned about than the welfare of the women of the Convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On multiple occasions the civil authority in the area of Ruby is referred to as the "white law." The "white law" is something no citizen of Ruby wants to come in contact with. Explain what citizens of Ruby mean by "white law" and offer explanations based on information from the text and your own knowledge of history about why citizens of Ruby would fear the "white law."
Essay Topic 2
Examine the final line of the book. How does the final line of the book relate to the entire preceding novel? How does this conception of paradise help explain the novel's title?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the point of view in the novel "Paradise". Does the story come from a single narrator or multiple narrators? Does the point of view remain the same throughout the novel, or does it change, and what effect does this have on the story?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)