|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Soane want Connie to help her with?
2. What does Arnette bring to the Convent after her wedding?
3. What was the occupation of the person that raised Lone DuPres?
4. To what institution did the foundation donate the Convent?
5. What is one possible reason that Menus drinks too much?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lone believe that the men of Ruby want to get rid of the women at the Convent?
2. According to Lone, what do the Fleetwoods blame on the women of the Convent, and why does Lone think this makes no sense?
3. What is Richard Misner angry about?
4. Why does Gigi receive fifty dollars for the box she finds under the bathtub?
5. What are some of K.D.'s thoughts about marriage that indicate that he still has an immature or naïve worldview?
6. What was Pallas Truelove's situation before she arrived at the Convent?
7. What sort of dilemma does Billie face in her romantic life?
8. Why does Mavis buy toys every Christmas?
9. What started the townspeople's idea that Billie was a wild child?
10. Why do many parents of the town instruct their children to stay away from Billie Delia, and is this reputation deserved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is an important literary tool. Examine the text for instances of foreshadowing. If instances are present, how do they impact the plot? If there are no instances of foreshadowing, a rare occurrence in a novel, how does the absence of foreshadowing affect the reader's reception of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the point of view in the novel "Paradise". Does the story come from a single narrator or multiple narrators? Does the point of view remain the same throughout the novel, or does it change, and what effect does this have on the story?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)