|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in the basement attracts Connie?
2. Why is Richard concerned about Billie?
3. Where does Patricia say that Billie currently resides?
4. Where does Connie spend an increasing amount of time?
5. Why was Menus forced to abandon the woman he brought from Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
2. Why do some people believe that Senior Pullman's negative remarks are directed at Richard Misner?
3. Why do the Fleetwoods blame Lone for problems with their grandchildren, and what evidence is there that the situation was not Lone's fault?
4. What reasons does Patricia give for not approving of Richard's talks with the young people of the town?
5. What do the women of the Convent do after Connie draws their outlines on the basement floor?
6. What are some possible reasons for Connie spending so much time in the basement?
7. How do the town of Ruby and the Convent share joint responsibility for the field of marijuana?
8. Why do many parents of the town instruct their children to stay away from Billie Delia, and is this reputation deserved?
9. Why does Lone believe that the men of Ruby want to get rid of the women at the Convent?
10. What sort of dilemma does Billie face in her romantic life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the structure of the novel "Paradise". Is the plot progression chronological and linear, or does the presentation of the story move forward and backward in time? How does the structure of the novel affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Morrison's or the narrator's use of language in the novel "Paradise". Is the language elevated to the poetic or is it the everyday language of the rural people of Ruby?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone of the novel "Paradise". Does the tone remain consistent throughout the novel or does it change from chapter to chapter? What effect does the tone have on the story?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)