|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lone when she hears the men talking?
2. In addition to Connie, which was the only nun to remain at the Convent?
3. How many bodies does Roger pick up at the Convent?
4. Who has been injured in the automobile accident that Lone and Connie find?
5. What was the occupation of the woman who took care of Lone after Lone's mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mavis buy toys every Christmas?
2. What do the women of the Convent do after Connie draws their outlines on the basement floor?
3. What started the townspeople's idea that Billie was a wild child?
4. Why do many parents of the town instruct their children to stay away from Billie Delia, and is this reputation deserved?
5. Though she was welcomed back home by her father, why did Pallas return to the Convent?
6. What is Richard Misner angry about?
7. What was Pallas Truelove's situation before she arrived at the Convent?
8. How do the town of Ruby and the Convent share joint responsibility for the field of marijuana?
9. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
10. How do the women react to Lone's warning that men are coming to harm them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the residents of Ruby seem to think that the root of all their past problems were white people. Based on the outcome of the novel and what we learn about human nature, is this believe and oversimplification? Which characters best illustrate your stance on the subject?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the novel "Paradise". Is the plot progression chronological and linear, or does the presentation of the story move forward and backward in time? How does the structure of the novel affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 3
Develop an argument that proposes that the vast differences between Ruby and the Convent can be traced back to their origins. Ruby was founded intentionally by those trying to avoid oppression of a racial majority. The Convent came about mostly by accident as a place where several traumatized women found sanctuary.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)