|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mavis's mother live?
2. What type of law enforcement organization does the town of Ruby have?
3. What is Gigi's real name?
4. Where were Deek and Steward born?
5. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
2. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
3. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
4. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
5. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
6. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
7. Why did Deek tell Roger to make sure all part's of Deek's son's funeral were black?
8. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
9. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
10. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the final line of the book. How does the final line of the book relate to the entire preceding novel? How does this conception of paradise help explain the novel's title?
Essay Topic 2
Generally in fiction there is a clear protagonist and a clear antagonist. Can this be said of the novel "Paradise"? If you believe the novel contains a clear protagonist and antagonist, name them and explain how they fit these roles. If you believe there are no clear protagonists or antagonists, explain how this is the case.
Essay Topic 3
How do the people of Ruby recreate the same prejudices and forms of discrimination that the founders were trying to escape?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)