|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Connie have to tend to the old woman?
2. What is the occupation of Roger Best?
3. What state is the town of Ruby located?
4. What is Gigi's real name?
5. Why have the men come to the Convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Deek tell Roger to make sure all part's of Deek's son's funeral were black?
2. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
3. What does Connie do to earn a meager income?
4. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
5. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
6. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
7. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
8. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
9. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
10. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
Essay Topic 2
Offer a detailed theory about the meaning of the title of the novel. On the surface, neither Ruby nor the Convent seems like a paradise. What might Morrison have intended by choosing this title?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the setting of the novel "Paradise" both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)