|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the former profession of the old woman Connie tends?
2. Where were Deek and Steward born?
3. What did someone paint on the oven?
4. Where does Mavis's mother live?
5. What is Richard Misner advocating on behalf of the young people?
Short Essay Questions
1. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
2. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
3. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
4. What does Connie do to earn a meager income?
5. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
6. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
7. In addition to being respected as founders of the town of Ruby, what is another way that the Morgan twins have power over the townspeople?
8. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
9. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
10. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel does not have a simply linear plot progression. Describe the novel's plot progression and what effect this has on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the novel "Paradise". Is the plot progression chronological and linear, or does the presentation of the story move forward and backward in time? How does the structure of the novel affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone of the novel "Paradise". Does the tone remain consistent throughout the novel or does it change from chapter to chapter? What effect does the tone have on the story?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)