|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gigi the first time that Mavis sees her?
2. Who is in charge of operations at the Convent?
3. While the issue of Arnette's pregnancy is being worked out, what woman is K.D. most fascinated with?
4. What is K.D. doing at the opening of the chapter?
5. Who is Steward Morgan's twin brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
2. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
3. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
4. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
5. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
6. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
7. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
8. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
9. How has the community oven lost its significance?
10. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop an argument that proposes that the vast differences between Ruby and the Convent can be traced back to their origins. Ruby was founded intentionally by those trying to avoid oppression of a racial majority. The Convent came about mostly by accident as a place where several traumatized women found sanctuary.
Essay Topic 2
The racial situation in the United States during the time that "Paradise" was set was different from the situation today. Today we have the benefit of hindsight. Given what we know today, was creating their own towns the best alternative for black people given their limited options, or was it merely a form of self-imposed segregation?
Essay Topic 3
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)