|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of being supportive of Mavis's decision, what does Mavis's mother say?
2. Why is Connie so upset when Gigi first meets her?
3. What is Gigi's real name?
4. Who welcomes Mavis at the Convent without judging or questioning her?
5. Who gives Gigi a ride away from Ruby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
2. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
3. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
4. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
5. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
6. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
7. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
8. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
9. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
10. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could the major conflict in the novel have been resolved any other way, or was the final outcome inevitable?
Essay Topic 2
Generally in fiction there is a clear protagonist and a clear antagonist. Can this be said of the novel "Paradise"? If you believe the novel contains a clear protagonist and antagonist, name them and explain how they fit these roles. If you believe there are no clear protagonists or antagonists, explain how this is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the setting of the novel "Paradise" both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)