|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does K.D. blame for Arnette's pregnancy?
2. What does Mavis do to the Cadillac in Newark?
3. Where did Mavis's twins die?
4. What was Mavis purchasing when the twins died?
5. What type of law enforcement organization does the town of Ruby have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
2. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
3. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
4. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
5. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
6. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
7. What causes the men to think that the women at the Convent are perhaps not as hard working as the women in Ruby?
8. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
9. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
10. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Morrison's or the narrator's use of language in the novel "Paradise". Is the language elevated to the poetic or is it the everyday language of the rural people of Ruby?
Essay Topic 2
Offer a detailed theory about the meaning of the title of the novel. On the surface, neither Ruby nor the Convent seems like a paradise. What might Morrison have intended by choosing this title?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the residents of Ruby seem to think that the root of all their past problems were white people. Based on the outcome of the novel and what we learn about human nature, is this believe and oversimplification? Which characters best illustrate your stance on the subject?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)