Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is K.D. doing at the opening of the chapter?
2. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
3. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
4. Who did Connie have an affair with?
5. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
2. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
3. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
4. Why does Gigi receive fifty dollars for the box she finds under the bathtub?
5. What are some possible reasons why few in Ruby believe Lone's version of what happened at the Convent?
6. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
7. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
8. What sort of prejudice does Patricia witness in Ruby?
9. What does Deek believe that the tea that Connie gave Soane causes, and why is this ironic?
10. What reasons does Patricia give for not approving of Richard's talks with the young people of the town?
Develop an argument that proposes that the vast differences between Ruby and the Convent can be traced back to their origins. Ruby was founded intentionally by those trying to avoid oppression of a racial majority. The Convent came about mostly by accident as a place where several traumatized women found sanctuary.
How do the people of Ruby recreate the same prejudices and forms of discrimination that the founders were trying to escape?
Do you believe that Mavis' family really intended or even wanted to kill her? Could there be another reason for Mavis believing that her family wanted to kill her?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)