|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Gigi initially shocks Mavis upon Mavis's return to the Convent?
2. Who drives Mavis to the Cadillac?
3. Where had most of the residents of Ruby resided prior to starting the town of Ruby?
4. What was the former profession of the old woman Connie tends?
5. Where does Arnette want to go in the coming year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
2. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
3. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
4. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
5. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
6. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
7. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
8. What causes the men to think that the women at the Convent are perhaps not as hard working as the women in Ruby?
9. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
10. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tone of the novel "Paradise". Does the tone remain consistent throughout the novel or does it change from chapter to chapter? What effect does the tone have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
The racial situation in the United States during the time that "Paradise" was set was different from the situation today. Today we have the benefit of hindsight. Given what we know today, was creating their own towns the best alternative for black people given their limited options, or was it merely a form of self-imposed segregation?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Mavis' family really intended or even wanted to kill her? Could there be another reason for Mavis believing that her family wanted to kill her?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)