|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sits beside Mavis while the interview is taking place?
2. How did Soane and Deek's sons die?
3. Who is Soane's husband?
4. Who stops to ask if Sweetie Fleetwood needs a ride?
5. Who is the nephew of the Morgan twins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
2. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
3. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
4. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
5. Why did Deek tell Roger to make sure all part's of Deek's son's funeral were black?
6. Why is there instant animosity between Mavis and Gigi?
7. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
8. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
9. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
10. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the structure of the novel "Paradise". Is the plot progression chronological and linear, or does the presentation of the story move forward and backward in time? How does the structure of the novel affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 2
How do the people of Ruby recreate the same prejudices and forms of discrimination that the founders were trying to escape?
Essay Topic 3
Could the major conflict in the novel have been resolved any other way, or was the final outcome inevitable?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)