Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is K.D. doing at the opening of the chapter?
2. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
3. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
4. Who did Connie have an affair with?
5. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
2. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
3. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
4. Why does Gigi receive fifty dollars for the box she finds under the bathtub?
5. What are some possible reasons why few in Ruby believe Lone's version of what happened at the Convent?
6. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
7. What were the circumstances surrounding Ruby Best's death?
8. What sort of prejudice does Patricia witness in Ruby?
9. What does Deek believe that the tea that Connie gave Soane causes, and why is this ironic?
10. What reasons does Patricia give for not approving of Richard's talks with the young people of the town?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tone of the novel "Paradise". Does the tone remain consistent throughout the novel or does it change from chapter to chapter? What effect does the tone have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the overall tone of "Paradise"? Does the tone change from chapter to chapter? In the end, how much the narrator's tone affect your reception of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the setting of the novel "Paradise" both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)