|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Connie meet the old woman she tends at the Convent?
2. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
3. Instead of being supportive of Mavis's decision, what does Mavis's mother say?
4. How did Soane and Deek's sons die?
5. Who is Soane's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
2. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
3. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
4. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
5. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
6. How has the community oven lost its significance?
7. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
8. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
9. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
10. Why did Deek tell Roger to make sure all part's of Deek's son's funeral were black?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the people of Ruby recreate the same prejudices and forms of discrimination that the founders were trying to escape?
Essay Topic 2
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
Essay Topic 3
The racial situation in the United States during the time that "Paradise" was set was different from the situation today. Today we have the benefit of hindsight. Given what we know today, was creating their own towns the best alternative for black people given their limited options, or was it merely a form of self-imposed segregation?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)