|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gigi remain at the Convent rather than continue on with Roger?
2. What type of law enforcement organization does the town of Ruby have?
3. Who was the only person to die in the town that became Ruby, Oklahoma during a period of two decades?
4. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
5. Who drives Mavis to the Cadillac?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Patricia's genealogy project turned into a way for her to express her negative view of the people of Ruby?
2. Why does Deek tell Richard Misner that he has become the type of man that the founders of Haven hated?
3. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
4. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
5. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
6. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
7. How does Lone try to keep a positive outlook even after events at the Convent?
8. What started the townspeople's idea that Billie was a wild child?
9. What do some of the people that try to stop the massacre seem more concerned about than the welfare of the women of the Convent?
10. How do the women react to Lone's warning that men are coming to harm them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Offer a detailed theory about the meaning of the title of the novel. On the surface, neither Ruby nor the Convent seems like a paradise. What might Morrison have intended by choosing this title?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the residents of Ruby seem to think that the root of all their past problems were white people. Based on the outcome of the novel and what we learn about human nature, is this believe and oversimplification? Which characters best illustrate your stance on the subject?
Essay Topic 3
Though the Morgan's are the wealthiest and most powerful people in Ruby, that is not to say that they have not faced their own hardships. Indeed, the Morgans have endured heartbreaking loses. Outline some of these loses and offer theories on why the loses did or did not affect the Morgan's views on race relations.
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)