|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had most of the residents of Ruby resided prior to starting the town of Ruby?
2. What is Gigi searching for when she arrives in Ruby?
3. Who sits beside Mavis while the interview is taking place?
4. Why is Connie so upset when Gigi first meets her?
5. Who did Connie have an affair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
2. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
3. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
4. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
5. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
6. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
7. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
8. Why did Seneca go to Wichita, and why was the trip unproductive?
9. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
10. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the point of view in the novel "Paradise". Does the story come from a single narrator or multiple narrators? Does the point of view remain the same throughout the novel, or does it change, and what effect does this have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How do the people of Ruby recreate the same prejudices and forms of discrimination that the founders were trying to escape?
Essay Topic 3
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)