|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Connie meet the old woman she tends at the Convent?
2. Where is Gigi the first time that Mavis sees her?
3. What does Mavis come to believe about her husband's and children's intentions toward her?
4. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
5. At the Convent, what does Roger load into his vehicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
2. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
3. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
4. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
5. What does Connie do to earn a meager income?
6. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
7. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
8. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
9. Why did Deek tell Roger to make sure all part's of Deek's son's funeral were black?
10. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could the major conflict in the novel have been resolved any other way, or was the final outcome inevitable?
Essay Topic 2
Develop an argument that proposes that the vast differences between Ruby and the Convent can be traced back to their origins. Ruby was founded intentionally by those trying to avoid oppression of a racial majority. The Convent came about mostly by accident as a place where several traumatized women found sanctuary.
Essay Topic 3
The novel does not have a simply linear plot progression. Describe the novel's plot progression and what effect this has on the reader.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)