|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did someone paint on the oven?
2. How many hotels are located in Ruby?
3. Why does Seneca have difficulty sleeping at the Convent?
4. How long does Mavis stay at the Convent, according to the chapter "Mavis"?
5. What is the occupation of Roger Best?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
2. What causes the men to think that the women at the Convent are perhaps not as hard working as the women in Ruby?
3. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
4. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
5. Why did Deek tell Roger to make sure all part's of Deek's son's funeral were black?
6. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
7. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
8. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
9. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
10. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the residents of Ruby seem to think that the root of all their past problems were white people. Based on the outcome of the novel and what we learn about human nature, is this believe and oversimplification? Which characters best illustrate your stance on the subject?
Essay Topic 2
Though the Morgan's are the wealthiest and most powerful people in Ruby, that is not to say that they have not faced their own hardships. Indeed, the Morgans have endured heartbreaking loses. Outline some of these loses and offer theories on why the loses did or did not affect the Morgan's views on race relations.
Essay Topic 3
Develop an argument that proposes that the vast differences between Ruby and the Convent can be traced back to their origins. Ruby was founded intentionally by those trying to avoid oppression of a racial majority. The Convent came about mostly by accident as a place where several traumatized women found sanctuary.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)