|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of being supportive of Mavis's decision, what does Mavis's mother say?
2. Who is in charge of operations at the Convent?
3. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
4. What about Gigi initially shocks Mavis upon Mavis's return to the Convent?
5. What type of animal does Deek hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the community oven lost its significance?
2. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
3. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
4. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
5. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
6. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
7. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
8. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
9. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
10. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the structure of the novel "Paradise". Is the plot progression chronological and linear, or does the presentation of the story move forward and backward in time? How does the structure of the novel affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 2
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
Essay Topic 3
Though the Morgan's are the wealthiest and most powerful people in Ruby, that is not to say that they have not faced their own hardships. Indeed, the Morgans have endured heartbreaking loses. Outline some of these loses and offer theories on why the loses did or did not affect the Morgan's views on race relations.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)