|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
2. What does Mavis come to believe about her husband's and children's intentions toward her?
3. Who is Soane's husband?
4. What is K.D. doing at the opening of the chapter?
5. Who did Connie have an affair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
2. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
3. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
4. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
5. How has the community oven lost its significance?
6. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
7. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
8. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
9. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
10. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop an argument that proposes that the vast differences between Ruby and the Convent can be traced back to their origins. Ruby was founded intentionally by those trying to avoid oppression of a racial majority. The Convent came about mostly by accident as a place where several traumatized women found sanctuary.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure of the novel "Paradise". Is the plot progression chronological and linear, or does the presentation of the story move forward and backward in time? How does the structure of the novel affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the final line of the book. How does the final line of the book relate to the entire preceding novel? How does this conception of paradise help explain the novel's title?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)