|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Connie have to tend to the old woman?
2. Why does Gigi remain at the Convent rather than continue on with Roger?
3. What does Mavis do upon first seeing Gigi?
4. Instead of being supportive of Mavis's decision, what does Mavis's mother say?
5. Why did the families who settled Ruby leave Haven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Connie do to earn a meager income?
2. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
3. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
4. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
5. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
6. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
7. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
8. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
9. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
10. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the overall tone of "Paradise"? Does the tone change from chapter to chapter? In the end, how much the narrator's tone affect your reception of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Generally in fiction there is a clear protagonist and a clear antagonist. Can this be said of the novel "Paradise"? If you believe the novel contains a clear protagonist and antagonist, name them and explain how they fit these roles. If you believe there are no clear protagonists or antagonists, explain how this is the case.
Essay Topic 3
With exception to events in the opening chapter, how does the Convent fulfill the role of a sanctuary? Who does it provide sanctuary for, and what types of people are most likely to benefit from the atmosphere of the Convent?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)