|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mavis purchasing when the twins died?
2. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
3. What did someone paint on the oven?
4. What type of law enforcement organization does the town of Ruby have?
5. Who is in charge of operations at the Convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
2. Why is there instant animosity between Mavis and Gigi?
3. What does Connie do to earn a meager income?
4. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
5. Why did Seneca go to Wichita, and why was the trip unproductive?
6. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
7. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
8. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
9. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
10. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Morrison's or the narrator's use of language in the novel "Paradise". Is the language elevated to the poetic or is it the everyday language of the rural people of Ruby?
Essay Topic 2
The novel does not have a simply linear plot progression. Describe the novel's plot progression and what effect this has on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
How do the people of Ruby recreate the same prejudices and forms of discrimination that the founders were trying to escape?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)