|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gigi see at the Convent that is terribly upset?
2. What does Mavis do upon first seeing Gigi?
3. What is Gigi's real name?
4. How many churches are located within the distance of one mile in Ruby?
5. Who was the only person to die in the town that became Ruby, Oklahoma during a period of two decades?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the end of the story, where family members have brief encounters with the women from the Convent, have on the overall story?
2. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
3. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
4. What sort of dilemma does Billie face in her romantic life?
5. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
6. What sort of prejudice does Patricia witness in Ruby?
7. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
8. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
9. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
10. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
Essay Topic 1
The novel does not have a simply linear plot progression. Describe the novel's plot progression and what effect this has on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the setting of the novel "Paradise" both in terms of geography and moment in history. How crucial is the setting to the story? Could the story presented by the novel have taken place at any other location or time?
Essay Topic 3
How do the people of Ruby recreate the same prejudices and forms of discrimination that the founders were trying to escape?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)