|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the residents of Ruby, Oklahoma are of what race?
2. Who did Connie have an affair with?
3. What does Mavis do upon first seeing Gigi?
4. What color was the Cadillac originally?
5. Who does Gigi see at the Convent that is terribly upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some of the residents leave Haven to found the town of Ruby?
2. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
3. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
4. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
5. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
6. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
7. What does Connie do to earn a meager income?
8. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
9. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
10. How has the community oven lost its significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The racial situation in the United States during the time that "Paradise" was set was different from the situation today. Today we have the benefit of hindsight. Given what we know today, was creating their own towns the best alternative for black people given their limited options, or was it merely a form of self-imposed segregation?
Essay Topic 2
The novel does not have a simply linear plot progression. Describe the novel's plot progression and what effect this has on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the final line of the book. How does the final line of the book relate to the entire preceding novel? How does this conception of paradise help explain the novel's title?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)