|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the bank in Ruby?
(a) The people of Ruby.
(b) The Morgan twins.
(c) A huge corporation in New York.
(d) Barnes, the plantation owner.
2. All of the residents of Ruby, Oklahoma are of what race?
(c) African American.
3. The story opens with the following words:
(a) "They shot the white girl first."
(b) "The women of the Convent would be forever damned."
(c) "No one had any idea how terribly wrong the confrontation could go."
(d) "They shot the black girl first."
4. Who sits beside Mavis while the interview is taking place?
(a) Mavis' three surviving children.
(b) Her attorney.
(c) The undertaker.
(d) A police officer.
5. How many hotels are located in Ruby?
(a) Two plus the diner and boardinghouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the men hold the discussion that determined that they would attack the Convent?
2. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
3. The town of Ruby is named after whom?
4. How many restaurants does Ruby have?
5. What does the young man who walks into Anna's store seek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there instant animosity between Mavis and Gigi?
2. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
3. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
4. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
5. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
6. What causes the men to think that the women at the Convent are perhaps not as hard working as the women in Ruby?
7. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
8. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
9. Why did Seneca go to Wichita, and why was the trip unproductive?
10. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)