|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca put on Sweetie's shoulders?
(a) A serape.
(b) A parrot.
(c) A leather handbag.
(d) Gold epaulettes.
2. Who gives Gigi a ride away from Ruby?
(c) Toni Morrison.
(d) Roger Best.
3. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
(a) Gambling with dice.
(b) Beating a prostitute.
(c) Filling sand bags in expectation of a flood.
(d) Building a grain silo.
4. How long does Mavis stay at the Convent, according to the chapter "Mavis"?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three days.
(c) Six Weeks.
5. What was Mavis purchasing when the twins died?
(a) Automobile insurance.
(b) Books for college.
(d) A new dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men who visit the Convent believe that there are none of what type of women in the town of Ruby?
2. The town of Ruby is named after whom?
3. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
4. What does Mavis do upon first seeing Gigi?
5. Why does Seneca have difficulty sleeping at the Convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
2. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
3. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
4. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
5. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
6. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
7. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
8. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
9. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
10. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)