|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Deek and Steward born?
2. Why does Mavis begin walking instead of driving the Cadillac?
(a) The weather is wonderful.
(b) The road is too narrow for a big car.
(c) The car runs out of gasoline.
(d) She fears the car attracts too much attention.
3. What was the former profession of the old woman Connie tends?
(a) Train conductor.
(c) Probation officer.
4. All of the residents of Ruby, Oklahoma are of what race?
(a) African American.
5. Where is Gigi the first time that Mavis sees her?
(a) Sprawled in the yard.
(b) On television.
(c) On top of the windmill.
(d) In the cellar below the barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the youngest male in the Morgan family?
2. Who did Connie have an affair with?
3. How long does Mavis stay at the Convent, according to the chapter "Mavis"?
4. What did the families who settled Ruby, Oklahoma originally consider for a town name?
5. Who does Gigi see at the Convent that is terribly upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
2. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
3. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
4. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
5. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
6. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
7. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
8. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
9. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
10. What does Connie do to earn a meager income?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)