|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Three days.
(d) One month.
2. The story opens with the following words:
(a) "No one had any idea how terribly wrong the confrontation could go."
(b) "They shot the black girl first."
(c) "The women of the Convent would be forever damned."
(d) "They shot the white girl first."
3. Who gives Gigi a ride away from Ruby?
(a) Roger Best.
(b) Toni Morrison.
4. What about Gigi initially shocks Mavis upon Mavis's return to the Convent?
(a) Gigi carries a live rattlesnake.
(b) Gigi is setting fire to Connie's garden.
(c) Gigi is naked.
(d) Gigi looks exactly like Mavis's daughter Sal.
5. How many restaurants does Ruby have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mavis come to believe about her husband's and children's intentions toward her?
2. Who is the nephew of the Morgan twins?
3. Who does Gigi see at the Convent that is terribly upset?
4. How long has Mavis been at the convent, according to the chapter "Grace"?
5. Why does Gigi remain at the Convent rather than continue on with Roger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
2. Why is there instant animosity between Mavis and Gigi?
3. Why does Deek find looking at Steward and even more revealing experience than looking in a mirror?
4. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
5. How has the community oven lost its significance?
6. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
7. In addition to being respected as founders of the town of Ruby, what is another way that the Morgan twins have power over the townspeople?
8. What does Deek believe that the tea that Connie gave Soane causes, and why is this ironic?
9. How do the women react to Lone's warning that men are coming to harm them?
10. How does Lone try to keep a positive outlook even after events at the Convent?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)