|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
2. After Arnette returns from college, what does she refuse to do?
(a) Get out of bed.
(b) Wash dishes.
(c) Attend youth political meetings.
(d) Do her homework.
3. Where is Gigi the first time that Mavis sees her?
(a) In the cellar below the barn.
(b) On television.
(c) Sprawled in the yard.
(d) On top of the windmill.
4. What color was the Cadillac originally?
5. Who did Connie have an affair with?
(a) K.D. Morgan.
(b) Deek Morgan.
(c) Steward Morgan.
(d) Frank Albright.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Mavis been at the convent, according to the chapter "Grace"?
2. The town of Ruby is named after whom?
3. What does Connie sell to earn money?
4. Why is Connie so upset when Gigi first meets her?
5. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there instant animosity between Mavis and Gigi?
2. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
3. What causes the men to think that the women at the Convent are perhaps not as hard working as the women in Ruby?
4. What does Connie do to earn a meager income?
5. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
6. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
7. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
8. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
9. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
10. Why do some of the residents leave Haven to found the town of Ruby?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)