|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Richard Misner advocating on behalf of the young people?
(a) That they be exempt from fieldwork if enrolled in school.
(b) That they be allowed to drive automobiles if licensed.
(c) That their concerns be heard in addition to the concerns of the older men.
(d) That they be allowed to hold a barn dance.
2. What unwashed, unprepared objects in the pantry at the Convent lead the men to believe that the women at the Convent are lazier than the women in Ruby?
(a) China figurines.
(b) Sheep shears.
(c) Rice bowls.
(d) Canning jars.
3. What is beyond the cellar door that one of the twins and his nephew smash?
(a) An iron foundry.
(b) The Devil's bedroom.
(c) Spare parts for the electric generator.
(d) A tunnel to the Indian Reservation.
4. Where does Richard Misner preach?
(a) Mount Cavalry Church.
(b) Zion National Bank.
(c) On the street.
(d) At the Convent.
5. Why have the men come to the Convent?
(a) Their pastor has died and they need religious instruction.
(b) They blame the women at the convent for a series of catastrophes.
(c) They want to learn the skill of canning food.
(d) They hope to sell the women surplus cotton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the former profession of the old woman Connie tends?
2. How long has Mavis been at the convent, according to the chapter "Grace"?
3. What does the young man who walks into Anna's store seek?
4. What color is the Cadillac after Mavis has it repainted?
5. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
2. What causes the men to think that the women at the Convent are perhaps not as hard working as the women in Ruby?
3. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
4. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
5. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
6. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
7. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
8. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
9. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
10. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)