|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
2. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
(a) A poor cotton harvest.
(b) Excessive drinking.
(c) Gambling debts.
(d) His moonshine still exploded.
3. What does Mavis do to the Cadillac in Newark?
(a) She has it painted.
(b) She sets it on fire to conceal the evidence.
(c) She sells it to a gangster.
(d) She trades it for a bus ticket.
4. What was the former profession of the old woman Connie tends?
(a) Train conductor.
(b) Probation officer.
5. What does Connie sell to earn money?
(a) Papal indulgences.
(b) Hot peppers, homemade pies, and vegetables.
(c) Quilts and glass figurines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Deek and Steward born?
2. Why does Mavis begin walking instead of driving the Cadillac?
3. Who owns the bank in Ruby?
4. What is the occupation of Roger Best?
5. What does Mavis come to believe about her husband's and children's intentions toward her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
2. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
3. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
4. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
5. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
6. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
7. Why did the founders of Ruby decide to name the town Ruby instead of New Haven?
8. How do the men from Ruby justify such drastic action against the women at the Convent?
9. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
10. What causes the men to think that the women at the Convent are perhaps not as hard working as the women in Ruby?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)