|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of being supportive of Mavis's decision, what does Mavis's mother say?
(a) That Mavis always was the runaway type.
(b) That Mavis is nothing better than a car thief.
(c) That Mavis has three children that need her.
(d) That she does not want to be an accomplice in Mavis's crimes.
2. Why have the men come to the Convent?
(a) They want to learn the skill of canning food.
(b) They hope to sell the women surplus cotton.
(c) They blame the women at the convent for a series of catastrophes.
(d) Their pastor has died and they need religious instruction.
3. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
(c) Radioactive coal.
(d) Illegal aliens.
4. What were the names of Soane and Deek's sons?
(a) Bernard and Arthur.
(b) Jeff and David.
(c) Arthur and Benjamin.
(d) Easter and Scout.
5. Where does Mavis's mother live?
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year does the girl who arrives at the Convent at the end of the chapter say it is?
2. What is Gigi searching for when she arrives in Ruby?
3. What is Richard Misner advocating on behalf of the young people?
4. What is the purpose of the meeting that K.D. knows will be held later in the day?
5. What does Connie sell to earn money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some of the residents leave Haven to found the town of Ruby?
2. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
3. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
4. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
5. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
6. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
7. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
8. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
9. Why did Deek tell Roger to make sure all part's of Deek's son's funeral were black?
10. How has the community oven lost its significance?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)