|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of law enforcement organization does the town of Ruby have?
(a) Military police.
(c) An active and oppressive police force.
(d) One decrepit town marshal.
2. The men who visit the Convent believe that there are none of what type of women in the town of Ruby?
3. While the issue of Arnette's pregnancy is being worked out, what woman is K.D. most fascinated with?
4. Who was the only person to die in the town that became Ruby, Oklahoma during a period of two decades?
(a) K.D. Morgan.
(b) Ruby Best.
(c) Steward Morgan.
(d) Toni Morrison.
5. Who was Ruby Best's husband?
(a) As a nun she considered herself married to God.
(b) Pete Best.
(c) She was a lifelong spinster.
(d) Roger Best.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story opens with the following words:
2. What two items does Mavis take on her way out of the house late at night?
3. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
4. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
5. Who was Grace named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
2. What are some of K.D.'s thoughts about marriage that indicate that he still has an immature or naïve worldview?
3. What started the townspeople's idea that Billie was a wild child?
4. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
5. What does Deek believe that the tea that Connie gave Soane causes, and why is this ironic?
6. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
7. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
8. How has the community oven lost its significance?
9. Why did Seneca go to Wichita, and why was the trip unproductive?
10. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)