|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the only person to die in the town that became Ruby, Oklahoma during a period of two decades?
(a) Toni Morrison.
(b) Steward Morgan.
(c) K.D. Morgan.
(d) Ruby Best.
2. Where does Arnette want to go in the coming year?
(a) St. Louis.
(b) The Convent.
(c) Baja California.
3. Why does Seneca have difficulty sleeping at the Convent?
(a) She is disturbed by the nun's band practicing all night.
(b) She lays awake at night plotting ways to steal the nun's gold.
(c) She is unaccustomed to clean and comfortable accommodations.
(d) She is terrified of the scorpions that infest her room.
4. The story opens with the following words:
(a) "No one had any idea how terribly wrong the confrontation could go."
(b) "The women of the Convent would be forever damned."
(c) "They shot the white girl first."
(d) "They shot the black girl first."
5. Why did the families who settled Ruby leave Haven?
(a) Angry white mobs burned their homes.
(b) The railroad gave them cash and new land.
(c) They fled an outbreak of yellow fever.
(d) The price of cotton fell to unprofitable levels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gigi the first time that Mavis sees her?
2. What is the purpose of the meeting that K.D. knows will be held later in the day?
3. Who does K.D. blame for Arnette's pregnancy?
4. Who gives Gigi a ride away from Ruby?
5. What is Gigi's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
2. When Gigi accepts a ride from Roger Best, what are her plans at that time?
3. Why do some people believe that Senior Pullman's negative remarks are directed at Richard Misner?
4. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
5. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
6. Why does Gigi receive fifty dollars for the box she finds under the bathtub?
7. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
8. What event cuts short Mavis's reunion upon arriving back at the Convent after a month's absence?
9. What are some possible reasons why few in Ruby believe Lone's version of what happened at the Convent?
10. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)