|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drives Mavis to the Cadillac?
(b) A young man from Ruby.
(c) The Justice of the Peace.
2. What does Sweetie believe she hears during the night?
(b) A spotted owl.
(c) Crying children.
(d) A band practicing.
3. What unwashed, unprepared objects in the pantry at the Convent lead the men to believe that the women at the Convent are lazier than the women in Ruby?
(a) Canning jars.
(b) China figurines.
(c) Sheep shears.
(d) Rice bowls.
4. Why is the friendship between Connie and Soane surprising?
(a) Connie had an affair with Soane's husband.
(b) Connie is an extreme racist, and Soane is black.
(c) Soane often steals money from Connie.
(d) Connie and Soane competed for the same job at the textile factory.
5. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
(a) Building a grain silo.
(b) Filling sand bags in expectation of a flood.
(c) Gambling with dice.
(d) Beating a prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mavis do upon first seeing Gigi?
2. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
3. All of the residents of Ruby, Oklahoma are of what race?
4. What two items does Mavis take on her way out of the house late at night?
5. Where had most of the residents of Ruby resided prior to starting the town of Ruby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
2. Why does Mavis become frightened during the interview, and why does she decide to flee?
3. What conditions does Mavis's mother place on Mavis being able to stay at her house?
4. What is immediately noticeable about Gigi?
5. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
6. Why is there instant animosity between Mavis and Gigi?
7. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
8. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
9. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
10. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)