|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Deek and Steward born?
2. How long does Mavis stay at the Convent, according to the chapter "Mavis"?
(b) Two years.
(c) Six Weeks.
(d) Three days.
3. Who are the wealthiest men in Ruby, Oklahoma?
(a) The railroad barons.
(b) The bankers.
(c) The Roosevelt Club owners.
(d) The Morgan twins.
4. What is Gigi searching for when she arrives in Ruby?
(a) Her birth mother.
(b) Mavis's Cadillac.
(c) A mountain that looks like two lovers locked in embrace.
5. Where is Gigi the first time that Mavis sees her?
(a) On top of the windmill.
(b) Sprawled in the yard.
(c) On television.
(d) In the cellar below the barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Connie so upset when Gigi first meets her?
2. Where does Arnette want to go in the coming year?
3. Where does Mavis initially plan to go after leaving Newark?
4. The town of Ruby is named after whom?
5. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
2. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
3. What means do the Morgan twins use to help their nephew out of trouble when he impregnates Arnette?
4. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
5. What causes the men to think that the women at the Convent are perhaps not as hard working as the women in Ruby?
6. Why is Mavis' mother less than supportive when Mavis arrives at her house?
7. Why do the men from Ruby go to the Convent?
8. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
9. Why do some of the residents leave Haven to found the town of Ruby?
10. In addition to being respected as founders of the town of Ruby, what is another way that the Morgan twins have power over the townspeople?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)