|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Arnette returns from college, what does she refuse to do?
(a) Attend youth political meetings.
(b) Do her homework.
(c) Wash dishes.
(d) Get out of bed.
2. Why did the families who settled Ruby leave Haven?
(a) Angry white mobs burned their homes.
(b) They fled an outbreak of yellow fever.
(c) The price of cotton fell to unprofitable levels.
(d) The railroad gave them cash and new land.
3. Where had most of the residents of Ruby resided prior to starting the town of Ruby?
(b) Silver City.
4. Who did Connie have an affair with?
(a) Frank Albright.
(b) K.D. Morgan.
(c) Deek Morgan.
(d) Steward Morgan.
5. What were the names of Soane and Deek's sons?
(a) Easter and Scout.
(b) Bernard and Arthur.
(c) Arthur and Benjamin.
(d) Jeff and David.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Grace named after?
2. How long has Mavis been at the convent, according to the chapter "Grace"?
3. What does Mavis come to believe about her husband's and children's intentions toward her?
4. Why does Mavis begin walking instead of driving the Cadillac?
5. How did Soane and Deek's sons die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
2. Why do some of the residents leave Haven to found the town of Ruby?
3. What is one of the things the Morgan twins probably consider when they are trying to decide what to do about Arnette's pregnancy?
4. What are some of town situations that Dovey Morgan thinks about?
5. In addition to growing vegetables, what is one of Connie's main tasks at the Convent?
6. Why was the town of Haven not as affected by the Great Depression as most of the rest of the country?
7. When there is a problem in Ruby who handles it?
8. How does Gigi become stranded at the convent?
9. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
10. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)