|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
(b) Radioactive coal.
(c) Illegal aliens.
2. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
3. Why did the families who settled Ruby leave Haven?
(a) The price of cotton fell to unprofitable levels.
(b) Angry white mobs burned their homes.
(c) They fled an outbreak of yellow fever.
(d) The railroad gave them cash and new land.
4. Who does Gigi see at the Convent that is terribly upset?
(a) K.D. Morgan.
(c) Seth Winter.
(d) Mavis Albright.
5. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
(b) Three days.
(c) One month.
(d) Six hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the Cadillac after Mavis has it repainted?
2. Who sits beside Mavis while the interview is taking place?
3. What is beyond the cellar door that one of the twins and his nephew smash?
4. The story opens with the following words:
5. What was Mavis purchasing when the twins died?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to being respected as founders of the town of Ruby, what is another way that the Morgan twins have power over the townspeople?
2. How did Mavis' twins die, according to the story Mavis tells the reporter?
3. Why does Deek drive to the bank even though it is a short distance?
4. Why do some of the residents leave Haven to found the town of Ruby?
5. How has the community oven lost its significance?
6. How does Mavis retrieve her car and get it to the Convent?
7. Why did Seneca go to Wichita, and why was the trip unproductive?
8. How does Mavis get confused and diverted from her intention to go straight to California?
9. How does the plot not flow in a chronological manner in the chapter "Ruby"?
10. Why is the town of Ruby not a place that attracts travelers?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)