|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Connie sell to earn money?
(b) Quilts and glass figurines.
(c) Papal indulgences.
(d) Hot peppers, homemade pies, and vegetables.
2. Where is Gigi the first time that Mavis sees her?
(a) Sprawled in the yard.
(b) In the cellar below the barn.
(c) On top of the windmill.
(d) On television.
3. Who is Soane's husband?
(a) Steward Morgan.
(b) Deek Morgan.
(c) K.D. Morgan.
(d) Frank Albright.
4. Who drives Mavis to the Cadillac?
(b) The Justice of the Peace.
(d) A young man from Ruby.
5. Who was the only person to die in the town that became Ruby, Oklahoma during a period of two decades?
(a) Ruby Best.
(b) Steward Morgan.
(c) K.D. Morgan.
(d) Toni Morrison.
6. Instead of being supportive of Mavis's decision, what does Mavis's mother say?
(a) That Mavis always was the runaway type.
(b) That Mavis is nothing better than a car thief.
(c) That she does not want to be an accomplice in Mavis's crimes.
(d) That Mavis has three children that need her.
7. Where were Deek and Steward born?
8. Where did the men hold the discussion that determined that they would attack the Convent?
(a) At the office of the justice of the peace.
(b) At the hotel kitchen.
(c) At the community oven.
(d) At the county courthouse.
9. Who gives Gigi a ride away from Ruby?
(c) Toni Morrison.
(d) Roger Best.
10. Why does Connie have to tend to the old woman?
(a) Connie owes the old woman money.
(b) Connie is the old woman's slave.
(c) The old woman is bedridden.
(d) The old woman is a fugitive from the law.
11. Who sits beside Mavis while the interview is taking place?
(a) The undertaker.
(b) Her attorney.
(c) Mavis' three surviving children.
(d) A police officer.
12. What did the men do together before telling K.D. to get his rifle?
(a) Pray in an Indian sweat lodge.
(c) Appeal to the local sheriff for help.
(d) Send a telegram to the state police.
13. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
(a) Beating a prostitute.
(b) Gambling with dice.
(c) Building a grain silo.
(d) Filling sand bags in expectation of a flood.
14. Why have the men come to the Convent?
(a) They want to learn the skill of canning food.
(b) They hope to sell the women surplus cotton.
(c) Their pastor has died and they need religious instruction.
(d) They blame the women at the convent for a series of catastrophes.
15. Who is in charge of operations at the Convent?
(a) K.D. Morgan.
(c) Bishop Smith.
(d) Abbot Kelly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
2. How did Soane and Deek's sons die?
3. What color is the Cadillac after Mavis has it repainted?
4. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
5. Who did Connie have an affair with?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)