|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Convent, what does Roger load into his vehicle?
(a) Sacks of grain.
(b) Seventeen bags of rice.
(c) A body.
(d) Vegetables from Connie's garden.
2. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
(a) Rename it.
(b) Convert it from wood to gas fueled.
(c) Fit it with a better exhaust system.
(d) Clean it with lye.
3. What about Gigi initially shocks Mavis upon Mavis's return to the Convent?
(a) Gigi is naked.
(b) Gigi looks exactly like Mavis's daughter Sal.
(c) Gigi is setting fire to Connie's garden.
(d) Gigi carries a live rattlesnake.
4. Who drives Mavis to the Cadillac?
(a) The Justice of the Peace.
(d) A young man from Ruby.
5. Who is the youngest male in the Morgan family?
6. What did someone paint on the oven?
(a) A fist.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) Gang symbols.
(d) A rooster.
7. What two items does Mavis take on her way out of the house late at night?
(a) Sal's rain boots and Frank's car keys.
(b) Her umbrella and a book.
(c) Her bankcard and a gun.
(d) The family photo album and a rope.
8. What state is the town of Ruby located?
(a) South Carolina.
9. What story does Mavis tell the reporter?
(a) The story of the death of her twin children.
(b) How she came to own a classic Cadillac.
(c) Her part in the civil rights struggle in Oklahoma.
(d) The history of the Convent.
10. What color was the Cadillac originally?
11. Who was the only person to die in the town that became Ruby, Oklahoma during a period of two decades?
(a) K.D. Morgan.
(b) Steward Morgan.
(c) Ruby Best.
(d) Toni Morrison.
12. What does the young man who walks into Anna's store seek?
(a) Medicine for a baby and directions.
(b) A job.
(c) The justice of the peace.
(d) Bargain liquor.
13. Why does Connie have to tend to the old woman?
(a) The old woman is a fugitive from the law.
(b) The old woman is bedridden.
(c) Connie owes the old woman money.
(d) Connie is the old woman's slave.
14. Who was Grace named after?
(a) Princess Grace.
(b) Grace Kelly.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
15. What did the families who settled Ruby, Oklahoma originally consider for a town name?
(a) New Haven.
(d) Diamond Flats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mavis begin walking instead of driving the Cadillac?
2. What unwashed, unprepared objects in the pantry at the Convent lead the men to believe that the women at the Convent are lazier than the women in Ruby?
3. Why is Connie so upset when Gigi first meets her?
4. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
5. Where were Deek and Steward born?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)