|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
(c) Radioactive coal.
(d) Illegal aliens.
2. How many restaurants does Ruby have?
3. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
(a) A poor cotton harvest.
(b) Gambling debts.
(c) His moonshine still exploded.
(d) Excessive drinking.
4. Who owns the bank in Ruby?
(a) A huge corporation in New York.
(b) The Morgan twins.
(c) The people of Ruby.
(d) Barnes, the plantation owner.
5. What does Connie sell to earn money?
(a) Hot peppers, homemade pies, and vegetables.
(c) Papal indulgences.
(d) Quilts and glass figurines.
6. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
(a) Fit it with a better exhaust system.
(b) Convert it from wood to gas fueled.
(c) Clean it with lye.
(d) Rename it.
7. The men who visit the Convent believe that there are none of what type of women in the town of Ruby?
8. What state is the town of Ruby located?
(d) South Carolina.
9. Why did the families who settled Ruby leave Haven?
(a) The price of cotton fell to unprofitable levels.
(b) They fled an outbreak of yellow fever.
(c) Angry white mobs burned their homes.
(d) The railroad gave them cash and new land.
10. What was the former profession of the old woman Connie tends?
(b) Train conductor.
(d) Probation officer.
11. Who stops to ask if Sweetie Fleetwood needs a ride?
(a) Roger Best.
(b) A man driving a truck.
(c) Toni Morrison.
(d) Mavis Albright.
12. Who was Ruby Best's husband?
(a) Pete Best.
(b) Roger Best.
(c) As a nun she considered herself married to God.
(d) She was a lifelong spinster.
13. Who drives Mavis to the Cadillac?
(a) The Justice of the Peace.
(b) A young man from Ruby.
14. What two items does Mavis take on her way out of the house late at night?
(a) Her umbrella and a book.
(b) Her bankcard and a gun.
(c) Sal's rain boots and Frank's car keys.
(d) The family photo album and a rope.
15. Who is Soane's husband?
(a) Frank Albright.
(b) Deek Morgan.
(c) Steward Morgan.
(d) K.D. Morgan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Seneca have difficulty sleeping at the Convent?
2. What time of year does the girl who arrives at the Convent at the end of the chapter say it is?
3. Who sits beside Mavis while the interview is taking place?
4. What type of law enforcement organization does the town of Ruby have?
5. Why does Mavis begin walking instead of driving the Cadillac?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)