|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
(a) Beating a prostitute.
(b) Gambling with dice.
(c) Filling sand bags in expectation of a flood.
(d) Building a grain silo.
2. Who are the wealthiest men in Ruby, Oklahoma?
(a) The bankers.
(b) The railroad barons.
(c) The Morgan twins.
(d) The Roosevelt Club owners.
3. Who does Gigi see at the Convent that is terribly upset?
(a) K.D. Morgan.
(b) Seth Winter.
(d) Mavis Albright.
4. What unwashed, unprepared objects in the pantry at the Convent lead the men to believe that the women at the Convent are lazier than the women in Ruby?
(a) Sheep shears.
(b) Rice bowls.
(c) China figurines.
(d) Canning jars.
5. What story does Mavis tell the reporter?
(a) Her part in the civil rights struggle in Oklahoma.
(b) The story of the death of her twin children.
(c) How she came to own a classic Cadillac.
(d) The history of the Convent.
6. Who did Connie have an affair with?
(a) Deek Morgan.
(b) Frank Albright.
(c) Steward Morgan.
(d) K.D. Morgan.
7. How long does Mavis stay at the Convent, according to the chapter "Mavis"?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two years.
(d) Six Weeks.
8. Who takes Mavis to get gasoline for her car?
9. Why have the men come to the Convent?
(a) They blame the women at the convent for a series of catastrophes.
(b) They want to learn the skill of canning food.
(c) They hope to sell the women surplus cotton.
(d) Their pastor has died and they need religious instruction.
10. Where were Deek and Steward born?
11. Who owns the bank in Ruby?
(a) A huge corporation in New York.
(b) Barnes, the plantation owner.
(c) The Morgan twins.
(d) The people of Ruby.
12. The men are from what town?
13. What did the families who settled Ruby, Oklahoma originally consider for a town name?
(b) Diamond Flats.
(c) New Haven.
14. What two items does Mavis take on her way out of the house late at night?
(a) Her bankcard and a gun.
(b) The family photo album and a rope.
(c) Her umbrella and a book.
(d) Sal's rain boots and Frank's car keys.
15. Instead of being supportive of Mavis's decision, what does Mavis's mother say?
(a) That Mavis always was the runaway type.
(b) That Mavis has three children that need her.
(c) That Mavis is nothing better than a car thief.
(d) That she does not want to be an accomplice in Mavis's crimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who welcomes Mavis at the Convent without judging or questioning her?
2. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
3. What does the young man who walks into Anna's store seek?
4. How did Connie meet the old woman she tends at the Convent?
5. Why does Mavis begin walking instead of driving the Cadillac?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)