|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who welcomes Mavis at the Convent without judging or questioning her?
2. Why does Connie have to tend to the old woman?
(a) Connie is the old woman's slave.
(b) The old woman is bedridden.
(c) The old woman is a fugitive from the law.
(d) Connie owes the old woman money.
3. How many hotels are located in Ruby?
(a) Two plus the diner and boardinghouse.
4. How did Connie meet the old woman she tends at the Convent?
(a) The old woman is Connie's sister.
(b) The old woman is Connie's birth mother.
(c) The old woman adopted Connie when she was nine.
(d) Connie worked for the old woman at the textile factory.
5. Who does Gigi see at the Convent that is terribly upset?
(a) K.D. Morgan.
(b) Seth Winter.
(c) Mavis Albright.
6. Why did the families who settled Ruby leave Haven?
(a) The railroad gave them cash and new land.
(b) They fled an outbreak of yellow fever.
(c) The price of cotton fell to unprofitable levels.
(d) Angry white mobs burned their homes.
7. Who did Connie have an affair with?
(a) Steward Morgan.
(b) Deek Morgan.
(c) Frank Albright.
(d) K.D. Morgan.
8. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
(a) Convert it from wood to gas fueled.
(b) Rename it.
(c) Fit it with a better exhaust system.
(d) Clean it with lye.
9. What was Mavis purchasing when the twins died?
(a) Automobile insurance.
(c) A new dress.
(d) Books for college.
10. What does Connie sell to earn money?
(a) Hot peppers, homemade pies, and vegetables.
(c) Quilts and glass figurines.
(d) Papal indulgences.
11. What did someone paint on the oven?
(a) Gang symbols.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) A fist.
(d) A rooster.
12. What color is the Cadillac after Mavis has it repainted?
13. Why is the friendship between Connie and Soane surprising?
(a) Connie and Soane competed for the same job at the textile factory.
(b) Connie had an affair with Soane's husband.
(c) Connie is an extreme racist, and Soane is black.
(d) Soane often steals money from Connie.
14. What did the families who settled Ruby, Oklahoma originally consider for a town name?
(a) New Haven.
(b) Diamond Flats.
15. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
(a) Three days.
(b) One month.
(d) Six hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mavis's twins die?
2. Why does Gigi remain at the Convent rather than continue on with Roger?
3. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
4. Where does Arnette want to go in the coming year?
5. What type of law enforcement organization does the town of Ruby have?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)