|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mavis initially plan to go after leaving Newark?
(d) FBI Headquarters.
2. Who is in charge of operations at the Convent?
(b) K.D. Morgan.
(c) Abbot Kelly.
(d) Bishop Smith.
3. What does Gigi discover about the vehicle she rides in?
(a) It has no seatbelts.
(b) It is a hearse.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) The passenger door will not shut properly.
4. What did the families who settled Ruby, Oklahoma originally consider for a town name?
(a) New Haven.
(c) Diamond Flats.
5. What does Seneca put on Sweetie's shoulders?
(a) A serape.
(b) A parrot.
(c) A leather handbag.
(d) Gold epaulettes.
6. Who is Soane's husband?
(a) K.D. Morgan.
(b) Deek Morgan.
(c) Steward Morgan.
(d) Frank Albright.
7. Why have the men come to the Convent?
(a) They hope to sell the women surplus cotton.
(b) Their pastor has died and they need religious instruction.
(c) They want to learn the skill of canning food.
(d) They blame the women at the convent for a series of catastrophes.
8. Where does Arnette want to go in the coming year?
(a) St. Louis.
(b) Baja California.
(c) The Convent.
9. Where do Seneca and Sweetie walk together?
(a) The Convent.
(b) To the community oven.
(c) In the garden.
(d) To the well.
10. What is Richard Misner advocating on behalf of the young people?
(a) That they be allowed to hold a barn dance.
(b) That their concerns be heard in addition to the concerns of the older men.
(c) That they be exempt from fieldwork if enrolled in school.
(d) That they be allowed to drive automobiles if licensed.
11. Why did the families who settled Ruby leave Haven?
(a) The price of cotton fell to unprofitable levels.
(b) Angry white mobs burned their homes.
(c) The railroad gave them cash and new land.
(d) They fled an outbreak of yellow fever.
12. Who are the wealthiest men in Ruby, Oklahoma?
(a) The Morgan twins.
(b) The Roosevelt Club owners.
(c) The railroad barons.
(d) The bankers.
13. The story opens with the following words:
(a) "No one had any idea how terribly wrong the confrontation could go."
(b) "The women of the Convent would be forever damned."
(c) "They shot the white girl first."
(d) "They shot the black girl first."
14. How did Connie meet the old woman she tends at the Convent?
(a) The old woman adopted Connie when she was nine.
(b) The old woman is Connie's birth mother.
(c) The old woman is Connie's sister.
(d) Connie worked for the old woman at the textile factory.
15. Why does Seneca have difficulty sleeping at the Convent?
(a) She is terrified of the scorpions that infest her room.
(b) She lays awake at night plotting ways to steal the nun's gold.
(c) She is disturbed by the nun's band practicing all night.
(d) She is unaccustomed to clean and comfortable accommodations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gigi remain at the Convent rather than continue on with Roger?
2. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
3. What color is the Cadillac after Mavis has it repainted?
4. The town of Ruby is named after whom?
5. Who gives Gigi a ride away from Ruby?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)