|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the wealthiest men in Ruby, Oklahoma?
(a) The Morgan twins.
(b) The railroad barons.
(c) The Roosevelt Club owners.
(d) The bankers.
2. Who is the youngest male in the Morgan family?
3. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
(a) Radioactive coal.
(b) Illegal aliens.
4. What is Gigi searching for when she arrives in Ruby?
(a) Her birth mother.
(b) A mountain that looks like two lovers locked in embrace.
(d) Mavis's Cadillac.
5. The story opens with the following words:
(a) "They shot the black girl first."
(b) "They shot the white girl first."
(c) "No one had any idea how terribly wrong the confrontation could go."
(d) "The women of the Convent would be forever damned."
6. How many hotels are located in Ruby?
(a) Two plus the diner and boardinghouse.
7. What time of year does the girl who arrives at the Convent at the end of the chapter say it is?
(a) "Fool's Winter."
(b) "The Ides of March."
(c) "Almost August."
(d) "Indian Summer."
8. What did someone paint on the oven?
(a) Gang symbols.
(b) A rooster.
(c) The Lord's Prayer.
(d) A fist.
9. What two items does Mavis take on her way out of the house late at night?
(a) The family photo album and a rope.
(b) Sal's rain boots and Frank's car keys.
(c) Her bankcard and a gun.
(d) Her umbrella and a book.
10. What does Gigi discover about the vehicle she rides in?
(a) It has no seatbelts.
(b) It is a hearse.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) The passenger door will not shut properly.
11. What is Gigi's real name?
(a) She never reveals her true name.
(c) Gertrude Guest.
(d) Ginger Gentry.
12. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
(a) Beating a prostitute.
(b) Gambling with dice.
(c) Filling sand bags in expectation of a flood.
(d) Building a grain silo.
13. Why did the families who settled Ruby leave Haven?
(a) Angry white mobs burned their homes.
(b) The railroad gave them cash and new land.
(c) They fled an outbreak of yellow fever.
(d) The price of cotton fell to unprofitable levels.
14. Who gives Gigi a ride away from Ruby?
(a) Roger Best.
(d) Toni Morrison.
15. What color was the Cadillac originally?
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Gigi initially shocks Mavis upon Mavis's return to the Convent?
2. Why have the men come to the Convent?
3. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
4. What does Mavis do upon first seeing Gigi?
5. Why does Seneca have difficulty sleeping at the Convent?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)