|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some residents of Ruby want to do to the community oven?
(a) Rename it.
(b) Clean it with lye.
(c) Fit it with a better exhaust system.
(d) Convert it from wood to gas fueled.
2. What is Gigi searching for when she arrives in Ruby?
(a) Mavis's Cadillac.
(b) Her birth mother.
(c) A mountain that looks like two lovers locked in embrace.
3. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
(a) His moonshine still exploded.
(b) A poor cotton harvest.
(c) Excessive drinking.
(d) Gambling debts.
4. Who was Grace named after?
(a) Grace Kelly.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Princess Grace.
5. In the story Elder told Steward, what were the white men doing?
(a) Filling sand bags in expectation of a flood.
(b) Building a grain silo.
(c) Gambling with dice.
(d) Beating a prostitute.
6. Why have the men come to the Convent?
(a) They blame the women at the convent for a series of catastrophes.
(b) They hope to sell the women surplus cotton.
(c) Their pastor has died and they need religious instruction.
(d) They want to learn the skill of canning food.
7. What does Seneca put on Sweetie's shoulders?
(a) A serape.
(b) A parrot.
(c) Gold epaulettes.
(d) A leather handbag.
8. How many hotels are located in Ruby?
(c) Two plus the diner and boardinghouse.
9. Who is the nephew of the Morgan twins?
(a) Jester Meeks.
(b) K.D. Morgan.
(c) Ruby Tuesday.
(d) Toni Morrison.
10. How did Connie meet the old woman she tends at the Convent?
(a) The old woman adopted Connie when she was nine.
(b) The old woman is Connie's birth mother.
(c) The old woman is Connie's sister.
(d) Connie worked for the old woman at the textile factory.
11. What does Sweetie believe she hears during the night?
(a) A band practicing.
(b) Crying children.
(d) A spotted owl.
12. Where does Mavis's mother live?
13. Why does Seneca have difficulty sleeping at the Convent?
(a) She is unaccustomed to clean and comfortable accommodations.
(b) She is terrified of the scorpions that infest her room.
(c) She lays awake at night plotting ways to steal the nun's gold.
(d) She is disturbed by the nun's band practicing all night.
14. Where does Mavis initially plan to go after leaving Newark?
(b) FBI Headquarters.
15. What is beyond the cellar door that one of the twins and his nephew smash?
(a) A tunnel to the Indian Reservation.
(b) An iron foundry.
(c) Spare parts for the electric generator.
(d) The Devil's bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops to ask if Sweetie Fleetwood needs a ride?
2. What story does Mavis tell the reporter?
3. What color was the Cadillac originally?
4. Who was the only person to die in the town that became Ruby, Oklahoma during a period of two decades?
5. Where is Gigi the first time that Mavis sees her?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)