|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The story opens with the following words:
(a) "No one had any idea how terribly wrong the confrontation could go."
(b) "They shot the white girl first."
(c) "The women of the Convent would be forever damned."
(d) "They shot the black girl first."
2. What was the former profession of the old woman Connie tends?
(a) Probation officer.
(d) Train conductor.
3. How long has Mavis been at the convent, according to the chapter "Grace"?
(a) Three years.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Two and a half years.
(d) Six weeks.
4. What caused Menus to lose his house to foreclosure?
(a) A poor cotton harvest.
(b) His moonshine still exploded.
(c) Gambling debts.
(d) Excessive drinking.
5. Who stops to ask if Sweetie Fleetwood needs a ride?
(a) Toni Morrison.
(b) Roger Best.
(c) Mavis Albright.
(d) A man driving a truck.
6. What did someone paint on the oven?
(a) A rooster.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) A fist.
(d) Gang symbols.
7. What story does Mavis tell the reporter?
(a) Her part in the civil rights struggle in Oklahoma.
(b) The history of the Convent.
(c) How she came to own a classic Cadillac.
(d) The story of the death of her twin children.
8. Who owns the bank in Ruby?
(a) The people of Ruby.
(b) The Morgan twins.
(c) Barnes, the plantation owner.
(d) A huge corporation in New York.
9. What state is the town of Ruby located?
(a) South Carolina.
10. What had the driver not previously known he was carrying?
(b) Radioactive coal.
(c) Illegal aliens.
11. How long has Mavis been away from the Convent when she returns to meet Gigi?
(a) Three days.
(c) Six hours.
(d) One month.
12. What were the names of Soane and Deek's sons?
(a) Arthur and Benjamin.
(b) Easter and Scout.
(c) Jeff and David.
(d) Bernard and Arthur.
13. Why does Seneca have difficulty sleeping at the Convent?
(a) She is unaccustomed to clean and comfortable accommodations.
(b) She is terrified of the scorpions that infest her room.
(c) She lays awake at night plotting ways to steal the nun's gold.
(d) She is disturbed by the nun's band practicing all night.
14. Where did the men hold the discussion that determined that they would attack the Convent?
(a) At the community oven.
(b) At the county courthouse.
(c) At the office of the justice of the peace.
(d) At the hotel kitchen.
15. What type of law enforcement organization does the town of Ruby have?
(a) An active and oppressive police force.
(b) Military police.
(d) One decrepit town marshal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard Misner preach?
2. Who sits beside Mavis while the interview is taking place?
3. How many restaurants does Ruby have?
4. What is Gigi searching for when she arrives in Ruby?
5. Who was the only person to die in the town that became Ruby, Oklahoma during a period of two decades?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)