|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two burly men ask Hang if she has what commodity to sell?
2. How does Hang describe the current landscape?
3. Hang offers what candy to her traveling companion on the train?
4. One of the guests reveals to Hang that her Uncle summoned her to Moscow to do what?
5. On the train in Russia, Hang's traveling companion does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
2. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
3. Why has Chinh summoned her?
4. Describe the English artist's paintings.
5. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
6. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
7. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
8. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
9. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
10. What does Hang envision for her future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is a complex character. She displays such a loving and tender side to Hang. However, she could also be critical and cold as demonstrated by her interaction with Mr. Duong at Hang's banquet and certain conversations with Que. Why does her behavior change depending on who is on the receiving end? Which side of Tam do you believe to be her true nature?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)