|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hang stays the duration of the traditional ceremonies when someone dies for what duration of time?
2. What is Uncle Chinh holding when Hang arrives?
3. What is Hang's transportation to her Aunt Tam's house?
4. In Aunt Tam's story, what is the name of the man who was promoted to governor?
5. What did Hang find among her aunt's possessions that made her aware of her aunt's unrealized dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
2. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
3. Who is My. Duong?
4. Why does Que and Aunt Tam's relationship become strained?
5. Why has Chinh summoned her?
6. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
7. How does Que provide for Chinh's medical care?
8. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
9. What does Hang envision for her future?
10. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
Essay Topic 3
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)