|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Uncle Chinh demands what of his sister?
2. When Hang returns, her mother is doing what?
3. Uncle Chinh is diagnosed with what chronic disease?
4. What gift does Hang buy for Madame Vera?
5. Hang discovers that who died last winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
2. How does Que provide for Chinh's medical care?
3. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
4. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
5. What does Hang envision for her future?
6. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
7. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
8. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
9. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
10. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang makes a decision to not be like her mom and aunt - stuck in the past. Should one ignore the past when moving to the future? Can one succeed without remembering the past? Why role does your background play in your identity and is it something anyone can ever leave behind?
Essay Topic 2
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)