|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This color plays an important role in Hang's childhood and is associated with what emotion?
2. When Hang returns, who greets her with the announcement of a visitor?
3. Hang wants to sell what to get more money?
4. How does Que pay for Chinh's medicine and food?
5. What does Aunt Tam give Hang to celebrate passing her exams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
2. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
3. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
4. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
5. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
6. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
7. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
8. Who is My. Duong?
9. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
10. Describe the English artist's paintings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
Essay Topic 2
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 3
Hang makes a decision to not be like her mom and aunt - stuck in the past. Should one ignore the past when moving to the future? Can one succeed without remembering the past? Why role does your background play in your identity and is it something anyone can ever leave behind?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)