|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Duong asks Aunt Tam to help which relative of his?
2. Which of Chinh's guests did Hang meet at the university?
3. What gift does Hang buy for Madame Vera?
4. This color plays an important role in Hang's childhood and is associated with what emotion?
5. What does Hang's mother do in the evenings while Hang studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
2. Is Hang's acceptance into university a cause for celebration?
3. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
4. Why has Chinh summoned her?
5. How does Que provide for Chinh's medical care?
6. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
7. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
8. Why does Que and Aunt Tam's relationship become strained?
9. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
10. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 2
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)