|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Uncle Chinh's specialty dish?
2. The visitor reminds Hang of what color of night?
3. What did Hang find among her aunt's possessions that made her aware of her aunt's unrealized dreams?
4. What is Uncle Chinh holding when Hang arrives?
5. Uncle Chinh's wife holds what position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hang envision for her future?
2. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
3. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
4. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
5. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
6. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
7. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
8. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
9. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
10. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)