|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Uncle Chinh's wife holds what position?
2. What did Hang find among her aunt's possessions that made her aware of her aunt's unrealized dreams?
3. The flowers are often found near what?
4. Hang discovers that who died last winter?
5. How many stops until Russia at this point in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Que provide for Chinh's medical care?
2. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
3. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
4. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
5. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
6. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
7. What does Hang envision for her future?
8. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
9. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
10. Describe the English artist's paintings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)