|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hang stays the duration of the traditional ceremonies when someone dies for what duration of time?
2. The pond is filled with what kind of duckweed?
3. Once she arrives in Moscow, Hang goes where to meet her uncle Chinh?
4. Hang associates the house with what?
5. What does the visitor want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
2. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
3. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
4. Why does Que and Aunt Tam's relationship become strained?
5. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
6. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
7. Describe the English artist's paintings.
8. Is Hang's acceptance into university a cause for celebration?
9. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
10. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
Essay Topic 3
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)