|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the guests reveals to Hang that her Uncle summoned her to Moscow to do what?
2. Where does Hang go after Aunt Tam's banquet for her?
3. Hang discovers that her mother was in a car accident with what consequence?
4. During her celebration, Hang escapes to a neighbor's house to do what?
5. What color are the purple flowers around the pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the English artist's paintings.
2. Why has Chinh summoned her?
3. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
4. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
5. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
6. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
7. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
8. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
9. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
10. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)