|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hang's transportation to her Aunt Tam's house?
2. Hang receives a new telegram when she returns. Who is dying?
3. One of the guests reveals to Hang that her Uncle summoned her to Moscow to do what?
4. Mr. Duong wants Aunt Tam to teach his relative what skill?
5. Who helps Hang get her exit visa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Chinh summoned her?
2. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
3. Describe the English artist's paintings.
4. Is Hang's acceptance into university a cause for celebration?
5. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
6. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
7. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
8. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
9. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
10. Who is My. Duong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being a fatherless child brings Hang much anxiety and loneliness when she is young. Can the absence of a person have as much effect as the presence of one? Hang feels better after hearing the story of her father and how she was conceived in love. Why do you think this comforts Hang?
Essay Topic 2
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam is a survivor - she survives being denounced, having her land stolen from her and seeing family members die. She ends up being quite successful in her village. Do you think Aunt Tam could have been successful anywhere else? What do you think kept Aunt Tam from leaving to pursue success elsewhere? Was this a wise choice?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)