|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hang go after Aunt Tam's banquet for her?
2. What color are the purple flowers around the pond?
3. Aunt Tam makes what from bamboo?
4. When Hang returns, who greets her with the announcement of a visitor?
5. Hang recalls an artist who was inspired by what weather phenomenon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
2. How does Que provide for Chinh's medical care?
3. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
4. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
5. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
6. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
7. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
8. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
9. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
10. Why has Chinh summoned her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
Essay Topic 2
Madam Dua's clumsiness leads her husband to leave her, taking their child with him. Aunt Tam welcomes her into her house. What do you think is Aunt Tam's motivation to have a permanent guest? Who do you think benefits most from this living arrangement - Tam or Dua?
Essay Topic 3
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)