|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two burly men ask Hang if she has what commodity to sell?
2. Aunt Tam prepares which of Hang's favorite foods?
3. Hang stays the duration of the traditional ceremonies when someone dies for what duration of time?
4. What is the name of the government housing where Uncle Chinh lives?
5. Uncle Chinh had summoned Hang to Moscow once before to participate in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Que and Aunt Tam's relationship become strained?
2. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
3. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
4. Who is My. Duong?
5. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
6. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
7. Describe the English artist's paintings.
8. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
9. Why has Chinh summoned her?
10. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
Essay Topic 3
Madam Dua's clumsiness leads her husband to leave her, taking their child with him. Aunt Tam welcomes her into her house. What do you think is Aunt Tam's motivation to have a permanent guest? Who do you think benefits most from this living arrangement - Tam or Dua?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)