|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the researcher who Uncle Chinh is staying with?
2. What decision does Hang come to staring up into the night?
3. Que buys a Japanese cloth with what pattern?
4. What gift does Hang buy for Madame Vera?
5. What does Mr. Duong do after Aunt Tam embarrasses him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
2. What does Hang envision for her future?
3. Who is My. Duong?
4. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
5. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
6. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
7. Why has Chinh summoned her?
8. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
9. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
10. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam is a complex character. She displays such a loving and tender side to Hang. However, she could also be critical and cold as demonstrated by her interaction with Mr. Duong at Hang's banquet and certain conversations with Que. Why does her behavior change depending on who is on the receiving end? Which side of Tam do you believe to be her true nature?
Essay Topic 2
Madam Dua's clumsiness leads her husband to leave her, taking their child with him. Aunt Tam welcomes her into her house. What do you think is Aunt Tam's motivation to have a permanent guest? Who do you think benefits most from this living arrangement - Tam or Dua?
Essay Topic 3
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)