|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Chinh's guests did Hang meet at the university?
2. The artist painting the landscapes has not returned to his homeland in how many years?
3. Hang discovers that who died last winter?
4. Hang imagines her future in what setting?
5. What is the name of the government housing where Uncle Chinh lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
2. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
3. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
4. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
5. Describe the English artist's paintings.
6. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
7. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
8. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
9. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
10. Why has Chinh summoned her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)