|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aunt Tam makes what from bamboo?
2. Hang offers what candy to her traveling companion on the train?
3. Uncle Chinh had summoned Hang to Moscow once before to participate in what?
4. What is the person doing?
5. The artist was originally from what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
2. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
3. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
4. What does Hang envision for her future?
5. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
6. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
7. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
8. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
9. Describe the English artist's paintings.
10. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)