|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hang receives a new telegram when she returns. Who is dying?
2. Mr. Duong wants Aunt Tam to teach his relative what skill?
3. The pond is filled with what kind of duckweed?
4. Hang stays the duration of the traditional ceremonies when someone dies for what duration of time?
5. Aunt Tam makes what from bamboo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hang envision for her future?
2. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
3. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
4. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
5. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
6. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
7. Why has Chinh summoned her?
8. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
9. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
10. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Hang says Que and Aunt Tam were both stuck in the past. In what ways are they the same? Do their different ways of coping result in different outcomes? Is there a good way to be stuck in the past?
Essay Topic 3
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)