|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The visitor reminds Hang of what color of night?
2. Uncle Chinh is diagnosed with what chronic disease?
3. What is the name of the hated man whom Aunt Tam has promised not to serve?
4. Aunt Tam prepares which of Hang's favorite foods?
5. What does Aunt Tam give Hang to celebrate passing her exams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
2. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
3. What does Hang envision for her future?
4. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
5. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
6. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
7. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
8. Why has Chinh summoned her?
9. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
10. Why does Que and Aunt Tam's relationship become strained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)