|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hang remembers following her mother to a village outside and seeing who by large pond?
2. Aunt Tam prepares which of Hang's favorite foods?
3. How does Hang describe the current landscape?
4. Hang left for Russia via what airport?
5. The color then reminds her of what childhood memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
2. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
3. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
4. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
5. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
6. Describe the English artist's paintings.
7. Why has Chinh summoned her?
8. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
9. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
10. Who is My. Duong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)