|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Que buys a Japanese cloth with what pattern?
2. What does Hang's mother do in the evenings while Hang studies?
3. Uncle Chinh's wife holds what position?
4. In Aunt Tam's story, what is the name of the man who was promoted to governor?
5. Mr. Duong was planning on taking the land of which party guest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is My. Duong?
2. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
3. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
4. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
5. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
6. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
7. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
8. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
9. What does Hang envision for her future?
10. Why has Chinh summoned her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being a fatherless child brings Hang much anxiety and loneliness when she is young. Can the absence of a person have as much effect as the presence of one? Hang feels better after hearing the story of her father and how she was conceived in love. Why do you think this comforts Hang?
Essay Topic 2
Ton allegedly committed suicide when his new wife refused to let him return to Hanoi for Hang's birth. Tam says that it was because he could endure anything but shame. How has Ton been shamed in this situation? Is suicide shameful? How has his shame been passed on to Hang?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)