|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hang find among her aunt's possessions that made her aware of her aunt's unrealized dreams?
2. Hang stays the duration of the traditional ceremonies when someone dies for what duration of time?
3. What are the words used to describe the legacy left to Hang?
4. What is the person doing?
5. What does Hang consider the "greatest human sadness?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
2. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
3. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
4. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
5. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
6. Who is My. Duong?
7. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
8. Why has Chinh summoned her?
9. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
10. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang describes feeling homesick while living in Russia and on the train ride back. However, when she arrives back in Vietnam, she feels the landscape to be oppressive. Define nostalgia/ How can memories trick a person into thinking something that is not true? Is our inability to have perfect recall a positive or negative thing?
Essay Topic 2
Ton allegedly committed suicide when his new wife refused to let him return to Hanoi for Hang's birth. Tam says that it was because he could endure anything but shame. How has Ton been shamed in this situation? Is suicide shameful? How has his shame been passed on to Hang?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)