|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The artist painting the landscapes has not returned to his homeland in how many years?
2. Hang associates the house with what?
3. What does Hang's mother do in the evenings while Hang studies?
4. Hang offers what candy to her traveling companion on the train?
5. Which of Chinh's guests did Hang meet at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
2. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
3. What does Hang envision for her future?
4. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
5. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
6. What is Hang's relationship with her male traveling companion?
7. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
8. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
9. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
10. Describe the English artist's paintings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
Essay Topic 3
Although Tam and Que have come to each other's aid over the years, they have a difficult relationship. Describe how Aunt Tam and Que are related to each other and how this might explain the way they act towards one another.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)