|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Uncle Chinh demands what of his sister?
2. Hang recalls an artist who was inspired by what weather phenomenon?
3. The artist was originally from what country?
4. When Hang returns, who greets her with the announcement of a visitor?
5. Aunt Tam says that Madame Dua's husband left because of which of her characteristics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Que and Aunt Tam's relationship become strained?
2. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
3. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
4. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
5. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
6. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
7. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
8. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
9. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
10. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being a fatherless child brings Hang much anxiety and loneliness when she is young. Can the absence of a person have as much effect as the presence of one? Hang feels better after hearing the story of her father and how she was conceived in love. Why do you think this comforts Hang?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
Essay Topic 3
Madam Dua's clumsiness leads her husband to leave her, taking their child with him. Aunt Tam welcomes her into her house. What do you think is Aunt Tam's motivation to have a permanent guest? Who do you think benefits most from this living arrangement - Tam or Dua?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)