|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What floor does Uncle Chinh live on?
2. Hang discovers that her mother was in a car accident with what consequence?
3. Uncle Chinh is diagnosed with what chronic disease?
4. What does Hang's mother do in the evenings while Hang studies?
5. Mr. Duong asks Aunt Tam to help which relative of his?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Hang's acceptance into university a cause for celebration?
2. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
3. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
4. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
5. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
6. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
7. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
8. Why has Chinh summoned her?
9. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
10. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang describes feeling homesick while living in Russia and on the train ride back. However, when she arrives back in Vietnam, she feels the landscape to be oppressive. Define nostalgia/ How can memories trick a person into thinking something that is not true? Is our inability to have perfect recall a positive or negative thing?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)