|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hang wants to sell what to get more money?
2. What fruit does Hang's traveling companion offer her?
3. What gift does Hang buy for Madame Vera?
4. Mr. Duong asks Aunt Tam to help which relative of his?
5. One of the guests reveals to Hang that her Uncle summoned her to Moscow to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is My. Duong?
2. Is Hang's acceptance into university a cause for celebration?
3. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
4. Why does Que and Aunt Tam's relationship become strained?
5. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
6. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
7. What is the story Aunt Tam tells about an honest minister?
8. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
9. What is Aunt Tam's response to Mr. Duong's favor?
10. How does Que provide for Chinh's medical care?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Although Tam and Que have come to each other's aid over the years, they have a difficult relationship. Describe how Aunt Tam and Que are related to each other and how this might explain the way they act towards one another.
Essay Topic 3
Although Ton has a new life and a new family, he is drawn back to the village and to Que. What does this say about Ton and Que's love for each other? What does it say about both of their moral characters?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)