|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does her mother live?
2. About a year later, Hang and her mother get a visitor from one of their relatives. Who is it?
3. On the train, Hang is jolted from her memories by what?
4. A mob tries to attack Que for her relation to Chinh. Who intervenes and saves Que?
5. Who does the white dog belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
2. Why is Hang yelled out my a girl named Thu's mother?
3. Why does Que leave the village?
4. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
5. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
6. Why does Ton flee the village?
7. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
8. Describe Hang's grandfather's house.
9. Describe Hang's upbringing.
10. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is a complex character. She displays such a loving and tender side to Hang. However, she could also be critical and cold as demonstrated by her interaction with Mr. Duong at Hang's banquet and certain conversations with Que. Why does her behavior change depending on who is on the receiving end? Which side of Tam do you believe to be her true nature?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)