|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of the dormitory?
2. When Que returns to the village, how is Chinh regarded?
3. What happened after Ton's mother and sister were denounced?
4. Where does the cyclo driver take Ton?
5. Who led the accusations against Ton's mother and sister Tam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
2. Why does Que and Aunt Tam's relationship become strained?
3. Describe Hang's upbringing.
4. How does Hang perceive the snow?
5. Describe Hang's thoughts about separation.
6. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
7. Describe Hang's first meeting with Aunt Tam.
8. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
9. Why does Que leave the village?
10. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
Essay Topic 3
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)