|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the revolution, what was the main source of labor in the village?
2. How did Ton die?
3. Hang suggests selling her earrings to buy what?
4. What does Ton find in the packet from his former student's parents?
5. For Tet, what offerings are left with a photo of Ton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
2. Why does Que finally tell Hang about her father?
3. What reminds Ton of his previous life with Que?
4. How does Ton win the respect of the people in his new village?
5. Why does Que leave the village?
6. Describe Hang's grandfather's house.
7. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
8. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
9. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
10. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam is a survivor - she survives being denounced, having her land stolen from her and seeing family members die. She ends up being quite successful in her village. Do you think Aunt Tam could have been successful anywhere else? What do you think kept Aunt Tam from leaving to pursue success elsewhere? Was this a wise choice?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)