|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of factory does Hang work in?
2. What is the name of Uncle Chinh's wife?
3. Hang is born how many years after Que leaves her village?
4. What happens when Ton and Hang's mother are reunited?
5. What is the name of Que's neighbor and confidante?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
2. Why does Que finally tell Hang about her father?
3. Describe Ton and Que's meeting.
4. Why does Que leave the village?
5. Describe Hang's upbringing.
6. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
7. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
8. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
9. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
10. Explain the significance of Ton's birth sign in his escape.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
Essay Topic 3
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)