|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares Hang inside of her grandfather's house?
2. What sound would Hang's mother hear that made her cry at night?
3. Where did Tam live once she was evicted?
4. Where does the cyclo driver take Ton?
5. What happens when Ton and Hang's mother are reunited?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
2. What reminds Ton of his previous life with Que?
3. What is the significance of the song Hang's roommate plays on the record player?
4. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
5. How does Hang feel about returning to the village with her mother?
6. What happened to Aunt Tam during land reform?
7. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
8. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
9. Describe Hang's upbringing.
10. How is Ton received by the other villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
Essay Topic 2
Being a fatherless child brings Hang much anxiety and loneliness when she is young. Can the absence of a person have as much effect as the presence of one? Hang feels better after hearing the story of her father and how she was conceived in love. Why do you think this comforts Hang?
Essay Topic 3
Although Ton has a new life and a new family, he is drawn back to the village and to Que. What does this say about Ton and Que's love for each other? What does it say about both of their moral characters?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)