|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hang see outside the train that reminds her of her family?
2. Relative to the salesman's visit, when does Ton return to Hanoi to see Hang's mother?
3. Why are the only true citizens, according to Ton?
4. What kind of factory does Hang work in?
5. How old was Hang when she visited her father's house the only time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the English artist's paintings.
2. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
3. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
4. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
5. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
6. Why does Que leave the village?
7. According to Chinh, why is Ton's family considered an enemy of the country?
8. Why does Aunt Tam dislike Chinh?
9. Why is Hang yelled out my a girl named Thu's mother?
10. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
Essay Topic 1
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)