|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new business brings a rougher crowd and wealthier clients?
2. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
3. How much money did Hang have left in savings at the start of the chapter?
4. What is the name of Que's neighbor and confidante?
5. Where did Tam live once she was evicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
2. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
3. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
4. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
5. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
6. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
7. Why does Ton flee the village?
8. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
9. Why does Que leave the village?
10. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
Essay Topic 1
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
Essay Topic 2
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)