|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Que's neighbor and confidante?
2. How was Ton treated by the villagers?
3. What was Hang's mother's occupation after her mother passed away?
4. One of Hang's roommates accuses the others of stealing what object?
5. What scares Hang inside of her grandfather's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does Ton have about the food vendor and his half-wit wife?
2. How is Ton received by the other villagers?
3. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
4. Describe Hang's upbringing.
5. What reminds Ton of his previous life with Que?
6. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
7. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
8. What does their neighbor Vi say about Chinh?
9. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
10. How does Hang feel about returning to the village with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang says Que and Aunt Tam were both stuck in the past. In what ways are they the same? Do their different ways of coping result in different outcomes? Is there a good way to be stuck in the past?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is a complex character. She displays such a loving and tender side to Hang. However, she could also be critical and cold as demonstrated by her interaction with Mr. Duong at Hang's banquet and certain conversations with Que. Why does her behavior change depending on who is on the receiving end? Which side of Tam do you believe to be her true nature?
Essay Topic 3
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)