|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Ton's journey last?
2. What field was Hang's grandfather in?
3. Que reveals she used to work where?
4. Who helped Ton escape the village?
5. Ton goes to an old colleague whose family owns what kind of business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
2. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
3. Why is Hang yelled out my a girl named Thu's mother?
4. Why does Que finally tell Hang about her father?
5. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
6. According to Chinh, why is Ton's family considered an enemy of the country?
7. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
8. What is the significance of the song Hang's roommate plays on the record player?
9. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
10. How does Ton win the respect of the people in his new village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam is a survivor - she survives being denounced, having her land stolen from her and seeing family members die. She ends up being quite successful in her village. Do you think Aunt Tam could have been successful anywhere else? What do you think kept Aunt Tam from leaving to pursue success elsewhere? Was this a wise choice?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
Essay Topic 3
Hang makes a decision to not be like her mom and aunt - stuck in the past. Should one ignore the past when moving to the future? Can one succeed without remembering the past? Why role does your background play in your identity and is it something anyone can ever leave behind?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)