Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new business brings a rougher crowd and wealthier clients?
2. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
3. How much money did Hang have left in savings at the start of the chapter?
4. What is the name of Que's neighbor and confidante?
5. Where did Tam live once she was evicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
2. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
3. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
4. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
5. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
6. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
7. Why does Ton flee the village?
8. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
9. Why does Que leave the village?
10. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
Essay Topic 1
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 3
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)