Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new business brings a rougher crowd and wealthier clients?
2. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
3. How much money did Hang have left in savings at the start of the chapter?
4. What is the name of Que's neighbor and confidante?
5. Where did Tam live once she was evicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
2. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
3. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
4. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
5. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
6. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
7. Why does Ton flee the village?
8. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
9. Why does Que leave the village?
10. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
Essay Topic 2
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
Essay Topic 3
Hang describes feeling homesick while living in Russia and on the train ride back. However, when she arrives back in Vietnam, she feels the landscape to be oppressive. Define nostalgia/ How can memories trick a person into thinking something that is not true? Is our inability to have perfect recall a positive or negative thing?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)