|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinh announces he has found what kind of job for Que?
2. Que and Hang must walk how many miles to get to the river?
3. When Hang and Que return to Que's village, Hang is fascinated by little figurines made out of what material?
4. How old was Chinh when his mother died?
5. What smell competes with the aroma from the food?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hang perceive the snow?
2. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
3. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
4. Describe Hang's upbringing.
5. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
6. Why does Que leave the village?
7. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
8. What realization does Ton have about the food vendor and his half-wit wife?
9. Why does Que leave the village?
10. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is a complex character. She displays such a loving and tender side to Hang. However, she could also be critical and cold as demonstrated by her interaction with Mr. Duong at Hang's banquet and certain conversations with Que. Why does her behavior change depending on who is on the receiving end? Which side of Tam do you believe to be her true nature?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)