|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many figurines does Que buy for hang?
2. How did Ton die?
3. Hang suggests selling her earrings to buy what?
4. When Hang's father leaves the village, what is the only possession he has?
5. Who arrives to help celebrate Tet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Que finally tell Hang about her father?
2. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
3. Describe Hang's upbringing.
4. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
5. How does Hang feel about returning to the village with her mother?
6. Why does Que leave the village?
7. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
8. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
9. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
10. How is Ton received by the other villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Tam and Que have come to each other's aid over the years, they have a difficult relationship. Describe how Aunt Tam and Que are related to each other and how this might explain the way they act towards one another.
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is a complex character. She displays such a loving and tender side to Hang. However, she could also be critical and cold as demonstrated by her interaction with Mr. Duong at Hang's banquet and certain conversations with Que. Why does her behavior change depending on who is on the receiving end? Which side of Tam do you believe to be her true nature?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam is a survivor - she survives being denounced, having her land stolen from her and seeing family members die. She ends up being quite successful in her village. Do you think Aunt Tam could have been successful anywhere else? What do you think kept Aunt Tam from leaving to pursue success elsewhere? Was this a wise choice?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)