|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hang's mother give her after the neighbor teases her?
2. Where does Uncle Chinh live?
3. What was the name of the campaign that returned the land to the village
4. Which of the following subjects does Ton teach in the village?
5. Who are Que and Hang greeted by when they visit Aunt Tam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Aunt Tam during land reform?
2. How does Hang feel about returning to the village with her mother?
3. What does their neighbor Vi say about Chinh?
4. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
5. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
6. Why does Que leave the village?
7. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
8. Describe Hang's grandfather's house.
9. What happens when a tavern is built in their neighborhood?
10. Why does Que leave the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
Essay Topic 2
Being a fatherless child brings Hang much anxiety and loneliness when she is young. Can the absence of a person have as much effect as the presence of one? Hang feels better after hearing the story of her father and how she was conceived in love. Why do you think this comforts Hang?
Essay Topic 3
Although Tam and Que have come to each other's aid over the years, they have a difficult relationship. Describe how Aunt Tam and Que are related to each other and how this might explain the way they act towards one another.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)