|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the surprise visitor?
2. Where does the cyclo driver take Ton?
3. What is the name of Que's neighbor and confidante?
4. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
5. What country does Hang live in at the start of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
2. How does Hang perceive the snow?
3. According to Chinh, why is Ton's family considered an enemy of the country?
4. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
5. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
6. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
7. How does Ton win the respect of the people in his new village?
8. Describe Ton and Que's meeting.
9. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
10. Why does Que finally tell Hang about her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
Essay Topic 2
Hang says Que and Aunt Tam were both stuck in the past. In what ways are they the same? Do their different ways of coping result in different outcomes? Is there a good way to be stuck in the past?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)