|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares Hang inside of her grandfather's house?
2. Hang is born how many years after Que leaves her village?
3. Tam asks Hang to write how frequently?
4. What was the name of the place Hang's mother took her with green water and rocks?
5. How much money did Hang have left in savings at the start of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is My. Duong?
2. Describe Hang's nostalgia about fog.
3. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
4. How is Ton received by the other villagers?
5. Describe Hang's first meeting with Aunt Tam.
6. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
7. According to Chinh, why is Ton's family considered an enemy of the country?
8. What realization does Ton have about the food vendor and his half-wit wife?
9. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
10. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
Essay Topic 1
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
This section contains 1,646 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)