|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hang's mother's occupation after her mother passed away?
2. About a year later, Hang and her mother get a visitor from one of their relatives. Who is it?
3. During her visit, which relative of Hang's friend tried to attack her?
4. When Hang returns to the village with her mom, she collects what fruit on her first day?
5. Chinh tells Que that she should stay away from Ton because he is a(n) ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's grandfather's house.
2. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
3. Why does Que finally tell Hang about her father?
4. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
5. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
6. What does their neighbor Vi say about Chinh?
7. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
8. How does Hang perceive the snow?
9. Why does Que leave the village?
10. Why does Que leave the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang describes feeling homesick while living in Russia and on the train ride back. However, when she arrives back in Vietnam, she feels the landscape to be oppressive. Define nostalgia/ How can memories trick a person into thinking something that is not true? Is our inability to have perfect recall a positive or negative thing?
Essay Topic 2
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
Essay Topic 3
Ton allegedly committed suicide when his new wife refused to let him return to Hanoi for Hang's birth. Tam says that it was because he could endure anything but shame. How has Ton been shamed in this situation? Is suicide shameful? How has his shame been passed on to Hang?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)