Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new business brings a rougher crowd and wealthier clients?
2. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
3. How much money did Hang have left in savings at the start of the chapter?
4. What is the name of Que's neighbor and confidante?
5. Where did Tam live once she was evicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
2. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
3. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
4. What was Chinh's reaction to Que's accident?
5. Who is waiting for Hang and what does he want?
6. What decision does Hang come to that night and why?
7. Why does Ton flee the village?
8. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
9. Why does Que leave the village?
10. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Aunt Tam is a survivor - she survives being denounced, having her land stolen from her and seeing family members die. She ends up being quite successful in her village. Do you think Aunt Tam could have been successful anywhere else? What do you think kept Aunt Tam from leaving to pursue success elsewhere? Was this a wise choice?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)