|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Uncle Chinh live?
2. How old was Hang when she visited her father's house the only time?
3. Who does Tam blame for her brother's exile and death?
4. Where does Hang's Uncle Chinh live?
5. Which of the following is not a product found in the street markets Hang describes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
2. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
3. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
4. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
5. What happens when a tavern is built in their neighborhood?
6. Why is Hang yelled out my a girl named Thu's mother?
7. What realization does Ton have about the food vendor and his half-wit wife?
8. How does Hang feel about returning to the village with her mother?
9. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
10. Describe Ton and Que's meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang says Que and Aunt Tam were both stuck in the past. In what ways are they the same? Do their different ways of coping result in different outcomes? Is there a good way to be stuck in the past?
Essay Topic 2
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 3
Ton allegedly committed suicide when his new wife refused to let him return to Hanoi for Hang's birth. Tam says that it was because he could endure anything but shame. How has Ton been shamed in this situation? Is suicide shameful? How has his shame been passed on to Hang?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)