|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During land reform, Aunt Tam's home was divided into how many pieces?
2. Ton remarries - his new wife is the daughter of the village ______.
3. What smell competes with the aroma from the food?
4. What new business brings a rougher crowd and wealthier clients?
5. Uncle Chinh tells Que what lie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does their neighbor Vi say about Chinh?
2. Describe Hang's grandfather's house.
3. Describe Hang's upbringing.
4. Why does Hang move out of her mother's house?
5. What is the significance of the song Hang's roommate plays on the record player?
6. Why does Que leave the village?
7. Descrive Hang's feelings toward the color purple.
8. How does Hang feel about Aunt Tam's village?
9. Describe Hang's upbringing.
10. Is Hang's acceptance into university a cause for celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam takes on a more prominent role in Hang's life as she grows older - visiting once a month, writing letters, providing for Hang's education expenses. How does her "mothering" affect Hang's relationship with her own mother? Does it seem as though Hang ever chooses Aunt Tam over Que? Why do you think Aunt Tam is so interested in Hang?
This section contains 1,602 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)