|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hang is born how many years after Que leaves her village?
2. What does Hang see outside the train that reminds her of her family?
3. Chinh tells Que that she should stay away from Ton because he is a(n) ______.
4. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
5. Ton remarries - his new wife is the daughter of the village ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's first visit to see Uncle Chinh in Moscow.
2. How does Que treat Hang when she returns from the celebration at Aunt Tam's?
3. How is Ton received by the other villagers?
4. Is Hang's acceptance into university a cause for celebration?
5. Describe Hang's upbringing.
6. What realization does Hang have while staying at her Aunt's house before a celebration for Hang's acceptance into school?
7. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
8. Why does Aunt Tam dislike Chinh?
9. Describe the apartment Uncle Chinh has been staying at.
10. What happens when a tavern is built in their neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam is a survivor - she survives being denounced, having her land stolen from her and seeing family members die. She ends up being quite successful in her village. Do you think Aunt Tam could have been successful anywhere else? What do you think kept Aunt Tam from leaving to pursue success elsewhere? Was this a wise choice?
This section contains 1,662 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)