|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ton find in the packet from his former student's parents?
2. Where did Tam live once she was evicted?
3. Who led the accusations against Ton's mother and sister Tam?
4. What were these food products made from?
5. About a year later, Hang and her mother get a visitor from one of their relatives. Who is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
2. According to Chinh, why is Ton's family considered an enemy of the country?
3. Describe Hang's grandfather's house.
4. Why does Aunt Tam dislike Chinh?
5. How does Hang perceive the snow?
6. Describe Hang's upbringing.
7. What is the significance of the song Hang's roommate plays on the record player?
8. Describe Hang's upbringing.
9. Why does Ton flee the village?
10. What does their neighbor Vi say about Chinh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Tam and Que have come to each other's aid over the years, they have a difficult relationship. Describe how Aunt Tam and Que are related to each other and how this might explain the way they act towards one another.
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam is a complex character. She displays such a loving and tender side to Hang. However, she could also be critical and cold as demonstrated by her interaction with Mr. Duong at Hang's banquet and certain conversations with Que. Why does her behavior change depending on who is on the receiving end? Which side of Tam do you believe to be her true nature?
Essay Topic 3
Hang says Que and Aunt Tam were both stuck in the past. In what ways are they the same? Do their different ways of coping result in different outcomes? Is there a good way to be stuck in the past?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)