|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the white dog belong to?
2. What field was Hang's grandfather in?
3. Who are Que and Hang greeted by when they visit Aunt Tam?
4. Que's brother tells her he and his family are moving to _____.
5. What does Hang's mother give her after the neighbor teases her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's upbringing.
2. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
3. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
4. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
5. What happened to Aunt Tam during land reform?
6. Describe Hang's first meeting with Aunt Tam.
7. Why does Que leave the village?
8. According to Chinh, why is Ton's family considered an enemy of the country?
9. How does Ton win the respect of the people in his new village?
10. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang makes a decision to not be like her mom and aunt - stuck in the past. Should one ignore the past when moving to the future? Can one succeed without remembering the past? Why role does your background play in your identity and is it something anyone can ever leave behind?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
Essay Topic 3
Although Tam and Que have come to each other's aid over the years, they have a difficult relationship. Describe how Aunt Tam and Que are related to each other and how this might explain the way they act towards one another.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)