|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Vera give to Hang?
2. What happened after Ton's mother and sister were denounced?
3. Hang and a troublemaker named Thu get in trouble by Thu's mother for playing at which river?
4. What does Hang's mother give her after the neighbor teases her?
5. What sound would Hang's mother hear that made her cry at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's grandfather's house.
2. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
3. Why does Que leave the village?
4. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
5. Why does Que finally tell Hang about her father?
6. Why does Aunt Tam dislike Chinh?
7. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
8. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
9. How does Ton win the respect of the people in his new village?
10. How is Ton received by the other villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang describes feeling homesick while living in Russia and on the train ride back. However, when she arrives back in Vietnam, she feels the landscape to be oppressive. Define nostalgia/ How can memories trick a person into thinking something that is not true? Is our inability to have perfect recall a positive or negative thing?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
Essay Topic 3
Being a fatherless child brings Hang much anxiety and loneliness when she is young. Can the absence of a person have as much effect as the presence of one? Hang feels better after hearing the story of her father and how she was conceived in love. Why do you think this comforts Hang?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)