|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after they return, Que announces who is visiting?
2. Which of the following subjects does Ton teach in the village?
3. Which of the following is not part of Hang's typical breakfast?
4. What kind of alcohol does Aunt Tam serve?
5. Chinh tells Que that she should stay away from Ton because he is a(n) ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
2. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
3. Why is Hang yelled out my a girl named Thu's mother?
4. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
5. What is the significance of the song Hang's roommate plays on the record player?
6. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
7. Why does Que leave the village?
8. What happens when a tavern is built in their neighborhood?
9. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
10. Explain the significance of Ton's birth sign in his escape.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang describes feeling homesick while living in Russia and on the train ride back. However, when she arrives back in Vietnam, she feels the landscape to be oppressive. Define nostalgia/ How can memories trick a person into thinking something that is not true? Is our inability to have perfect recall a positive or negative thing?
Essay Topic 2
Hang says Que and Aunt Tam were both stuck in the past. In what ways are they the same? Do their different ways of coping result in different outcomes? Is there a good way to be stuck in the past?
Essay Topic 3
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)