|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The festival of Tet celebrates what occasion?
2. During her visit, which relative of Hang's friend tried to attack her?
3. How much money did Hang have left in savings at the start of the chapter?
4. Que reveals she used to work where?
5. What is Ton's birth sign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ton and Que's meeting.
2. According to Chinh, why is Ton's family considered an enemy of the country?
3. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
4. Describe Hang's upbringing.
5. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
6. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
7. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
8. What realization does Ton have about the food vendor and his half-wit wife?
9. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
10. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
Essay Topic 2
Ton allegedly committed suicide when his new wife refused to let him return to Hanoi for Hang's birth. Tam says that it was because he could endure anything but shame. How has Ton been shamed in this situation? Is suicide shameful? How has his shame been passed on to Hang?
Essay Topic 3
Madam Dua's clumsiness leads her husband to leave her, taking their child with him. Aunt Tam welcomes her into her house. What do you think is Aunt Tam's motivation to have a permanent guest? Who do you think benefits most from this living arrangement - Tam or Dua?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)