|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tam live once she was evicted?
2. About a year later, Hang and her mother get a visitor from one of their relatives. Who is it?
3. What kind of factory does Hang work in?
4. What happens when Ton and Hang's mother are reunited?
5. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
2. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
3. Describe Hang's upbringing.
4. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
5. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
6. Why does Ton flee the village?
7. Describe Hang's upbringing.
8. What happens when a tavern is built in their neighborhood?
9. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
10. Why does Que leave the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
Essay Topic 2
Hang makes a decision to not be like her mom and aunt - stuck in the past. Should one ignore the past when moving to the future? Can one succeed without remembering the past? Why role does your background play in your identity and is it something anyone can ever leave behind?
Essay Topic 3
Hang is the daughter of Que, a woman who spends much of her life devoting herself to her family, particularly her brother Chinh. How are Que and Hang different from one another? How are they the same? How do you suppose Hang's actions and philosophies are related to the manner and environment in which she grew up?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)