|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Hang when she visited her father's house the only time?
2. What role has Chinh been promoted to?
3. What kind of factory does Hang work in?
4. How many siblings does Hang's mother have?
5. What sound would Hang's mother hear that made her cry at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hang's first meeting with Aunt Tam.
2. How is Ton received by the other villagers?
3. Describe Hang's upbringing.
4. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
5. Why is Hang yelled out my a girl named Thu's mother?
6. Why does Ton flee the village?
7. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
8. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
9. What happens to Que's plan to build a new roof for their hut?
10. Describe Ton and Que's meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
Essay Topic 2
At the start of the book, Hang goes to visit her sick uncle, even when she is not feeling well herself, because of a strong sense of familial obligation. At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell her Aunt Tam's house and leave behind "crimes of the past" and an unhappy legacy. Does her decision to sell the house contradict her sense of familial obligation? Has Hang changed over the course of the book? In what ways? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)