|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following instruments did Ton play?
2. What does Ton find in the packet from his former student's parents?
3. Que and Hang must walk how many miles to get to the river?
4. Who arrives to help celebrate Tet?
5. What were these food products made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reminds Ton of his previous life with Que?
2. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
3. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
4. How does Hang perceive the snow?
5. Explain the significance of Ton's birth sign in his escape.
6. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
7. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
8. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
9. Why does Que leave the village?
10. According to Chinh, why is Ton's family considered an enemy of the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam is obviously very financially successful. She is able to provide material things for Hang that Que cannot. However, Aunt Tam is also alone and bitter. How does money help Tam cope with problems in her life? Do you think money buys happiness?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
Essay Topic 3
Hang struggles during her childhood with her identity as a fatherless child. When Que finally tells her the story of Ton, Hang is reassured by the fact that she was conceived in love. How does this knowledge change Hang's outlook? Why do you think that information is capable of affecting Hang so profoundly? Why is it so important to Hang?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)