|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Ton escape the village?
2. Who is in charge of the dormitory?
3. Who are Que and Hang greeted by when they visit Aunt Tam?
4. Uncle Chinh tells Que what lie?
5. Ton meets a surprise visitor from his past how many years into his new life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinh think of Que's occupation?
2. What does Hang think is Uncle Chinh's motivation for visiting?
3. Describe Hang's upbringing.
4. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
5. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
6. Describe Ton and Que's meeting.
7. How did Hang's mother react to misfortune?
8. What reminds Ton of his previous life with Que?
9. Why does Ton flee the village?
10. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Aunt Tam's passing, Hang discovers several of her aunt's possessions, including two wedding gowns and the gold earrings she had given Hang. Discuss the significance of these items to the owner and the story. What do they say about Aunt Tam?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Hang decides to sell Aunt Tam's house and leave the past crimes and their sad legacy behind. She envisions a different world, larger than the small village of her ancestors Do you think Hang made the right decision? What would you have done in Hang's situation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Hang makes a decision to not be like her mom and aunt - stuck in the past. Should one ignore the past when moving to the future? Can one succeed without remembering the past? Why role does your background play in your identity and is it something anyone can ever leave behind?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)