|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hang thinks the visit is motivated by what?
2. Que's neighbor promises to bring how many plates for the festival of Tet?
3. Que saves her increased profits to buy what?
4. What were these food products made from?
5. Which of the following is not part of Hang's typical breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
2. What happened to Aunt Tam during land reform?
3. How does Hang feel about the telegram?
4. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
5. What is the significance of the song Hang's roommate plays on the record player?
6. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
7. Describe Hang's grandfather's house.
8. How does Ton win the respect of the people in his new village?
9. Describe Hang's first meeting with Aunt Tam.
10. How does Hang perceive the snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam notes that Ton left the village (and Hang's mother) and killed himself because he could endure anything but shame. Discuss the merits of pride. Is pride a positive or negative attribute of a person? In Ton's case, what other solutions might he have explored while still maintaining a sense of pride?
Essay Topic 2
Madam Dua's clumsiness leads her husband to leave her, taking their child with him. Aunt Tam welcomes her into her house. What do you think is Aunt Tam's motivation to have a permanent guest? Who do you think benefits most from this living arrangement - Tam or Dua?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)