|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Name one of the recipients of Aunt Tam's divided house.
2. Tam worked for her aunt to make what food product?
3. What country does Hang live in at the start of the book?
4. Soon after they return, Que announces who is visiting?
5. How long after Que's departure from the village before Chinh also leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does their neighbor Vi say about Chinh?
2. Why does a mob come to Que's house to attack her?
3. Describe Ton and Que's meeting.
4. Why does Que leave the village?
5. Why is Hang yelled out my a girl named Thu's mother?
6. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
7. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
8. Explain the significance of Ton's birth sign in his escape.
9. How does Ton win the respect of the people in his new village?
10. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Tam is a survivor - she survives being denounced, having her land stolen from her and seeing family members die. She ends up being quite successful in her village. Do you think Aunt Tam could have been successful anywhere else? What do you think kept Aunt Tam from leaving to pursue success elsewhere? Was this a wise choice?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Chinh seems to be up to no good every time we encounter him. Does he have any redeeming qualities? Does he deserve Que's sacrifice? Why does Que, and to a lesser extent, Hang, continue to run to his side? How might this validate or condone his actions?
Essay Topic 3
Aunt Tam, on her deathbed, requests that Hang live in the house and take care of the altar honoring their ancestors. Hang instead decides to sell off her Aunt's possessions and envisions a different world, a bigger world than what she could have in the village. Would you have made the same choice if you were in Hang's position? What would you do the same or differently and why?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)