|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scares Hang inside of her grandfather's house?
(a) Dragon paintings.
(b) Shadows on the wall.
(c) Portraits of ancestors.
(d) Wooden sculptures.
2. Where does Hang's Uncle Chinh live?
(c) Fountain Valley.
3. What happens when Ton and Hang's mother are reunited?
(a) Ton moves back to Hanoi.
(b) Hang's mother moves to be with Ton.
(c) They remarry.
(d) They conceive Hang out of love.
4. Why are the only true citizens, according to Ton?
(a) Proletarians and scholars.
(b) Proletariats and peasantry.
(c) Soldiers and peasantry.
(d) Scholars and soldiers.
5. What does Hang see outside the train that reminds her of her family?
(a) A night market.
(b) A laughing couple.
(c) A baby girl.
(d) An old house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following subjects does Ton teach in the village?
2. Which of the following is not a product found in the street markets Hang describes?
3. What is the traditional length of mourning?
4. When Hang and Que return to Que's village, Hang is fascinated by little figurines made out of what material?
5. The festival of Tet celebrates what occasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hang like duckweed flowers so much?
2. Why does Aunt Tam dislike Chinh?
3. Describe Que's life in the year following her mother's death.
4. Why is Hang disturbed by seeing an old street vendor with dirty feet?
5. What is the relationship between Madame Dua and Aunt Tam?
6. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
7. Explain the significance of Ton's birth sign in his escape.
8. Is Hang's acceptance into university a cause for celebration?
9. How does Hang feel about returning to the village with her mother?
10. Why does Ton flee the village?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)