|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hang meet on the train to Moscow?
(a) A neighbor from Hanoi.
(b) A young boy traveling alone.
(c) A Russian PhD student.
(d) An American soldier.
2. Uncle Chinh tells Que what lie?
(a) He is giving them money.
(b) He is sorry.
(c) He is very sick.
(d) He is moving to Hanoi.
3. When Hang and Que return to Que's village, Hang is fascinated by little figurines made out of what material?
4. Que reveals she used to work where?
(a) Garment factory.
(b) Traveling bazaar.
5. What smell competes with the aroma from the food?
(a) Agricultural byproducts.
(b) Industrial chemicals.
(c) Marsh gases.
(d) Sewer and garbage stench.
Short Answer Questions
1. Name one of the recipients of Aunt Tam's divided house.
2. What minority region does Ton end up in?
3. Who led the accusations against Ton's mother and sister Tam?
4. What new business brings a rougher crowd and wealthier clients?
5. On the train, Hang is jolted from her memories by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Aunt Tam during land reform?
2. What realization does Ton have about the food vendor and his half-wit wife?
3. Explain the significance of Ton's birth sign in his escape.
4. Describe Ton and Que's meeting.
5. Describe Madame Vera's relationship with Hang.
6. Why does Uncle Chinh find Que a job at the Red River Food Factory?
7. What is the significance of the song Hang's roommate plays on the record player?
8. What was a typical breakfast for Hang?
9. Describe the fate of Ton's sister and mother during this time.
10. Why does Chinh scold Hang when he arrives?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)