|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings does Hang's mother have?
2. What is the traditional length of mourning?
(a) Three years.
(b) One week.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
3. When Hang and Que return to Que's village, Hang is fascinated by little figurines made out of what material?
4. Where does the cyclo driver take Ton?
(a) Bus depot.
(b) Navy base.
(c) River ferry.
(d) Train station.
5. Which of the following is not a product found in the street markets Hang describes?
(a) None of the above.
(c) Crab soup.
(d) Sticky rice.
6. Chinh tells Que that she should stay away from Ton because he is a(n) ______.
7. What kind of alcohol does Aunt Tam serve?
(a) Sticky rice liquor.
(c) Plum wine.
8. How long does Ton's journey last?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Twenty four hours.
(c) One week.
(d) Three days.
9. Hang is reminded of a traumatic experience when her friend took her to what Eastern European city?
(c) St. Petersburg.
10. What happens when Ton and Hang's mother are reunited?
(a) They remarry.
(b) Ton moves back to Hanoi.
(c) They conceive Hang out of love.
(d) Hang's mother moves to be with Ton.
11. Hang suggests selling her earrings to buy what?
(a) A sheet-metal roof.
(b) Indoor plumbing.
(c) A bicycle cart.
(d) A proper family altar.
12. What does Hang's mother give her after the neighbor teases her?
(a) A book.
(c) Barley sugar sticks.
(d) A doll.
13. Que's neighbor promises to bring how many plates for the festival of Tet?
14. When Que returns to the village, how is Chinh regarded?
(a) He is insignificant.
(b) He is revered - there is a bronze statue in his likeness.
(c) He is the most hated of all the former leaders.
(d) He has been forgotten.
15. How old was Que when her mother died?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hang see outside the train that reminds her of her family?
2. What name does she call the white dog from the neighborhood?
3. What is Ton's birth sign?
4. What country does Hang live in at the start of the book?
5. On the train, Hang is jolted from her memories by what?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)