|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tam blame for her brother's exile and death?
(a) Ton's new wife.
(c) The French.
2. What motorized transportation do Que and Hang take in order to reach the village?
3. What was Hang's roommate's recent purchase?
(b) Record player.
(c) High heel shoes.
(d) English dictionary.
4. Soon after they return, Que announces who is visiting?
(a) Que's suitor.
(b) Uncle Chinh.
(c) Ton's wife.
(d) Aunt Tam.
5. Who does Hang receive a telegram from?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her childhood friend.
(d) Her uncle.
6. What smell competes with the aroma from the food?
(a) Industrial chemicals.
(b) Marsh gases.
(c) Sewer and garbage stench.
(d) Agricultural byproducts.
7. How old was Chinh when his mother died?
8. Hang and a troublemaker named Thu get in trouble by Thu's mother for playing at which river?
(d) Nhat Le.
9. What sound does Hang often hear outside her home?
(a) The songs of the street vendors.
(b) The industrial factories.
(c) Farm noises.
(d) The birds chirping.
10. When Hang and Que return to Que's village, Hang is fascinated by little figurines made out of what material?
11. Hang's male companion shuts off what?
(a) Reading light.
(c) Cassette player.
(d) Tea kettle.
12. When Que returns to the village, how is Chinh regarded?
(a) He is revered - there is a bronze statue in his likeness.
(b) He is the most hated of all the former leaders.
(c) He is insignificant.
(d) He has been forgotten.
13. What is the traditional length of mourning?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six months.
14. How many siblings does Hang's mother have?
15. How does Tam bring Hang to the ferry?
(a) On her back.
(b) By foot.
(c) On a bike.
(d) Via cyclo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Hang's grandfather when he died?
2. Which of the following instruments did Ton play?
3. Que's neighbor promises to bring how many plates for the festival of Tet?
4. Who arrives to help celebrate Tet?
5. What does Hang see outside the train that reminds her of her family?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)