|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the train, Hang is jolted from her memories by what?
(a) The music being turned off.
(b) Dinner being served.
(c) A stranger asking her a question.
(d) The train stopping.
2. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
(b) Mochi paste.
(d) Sesame seed.
3. Who led the accusations against Ton's mother and sister Tam?
(a) Uncle Chihn.
(b) The pillars of land reform.
(c) Que's aunt.
(d) The village leader.
4. Hang suggests selling her earrings to buy what?
(a) A proper family altar.
(b) A sheet-metal roof.
(c) Indoor plumbing.
(d) A bicycle cart.
5. How many siblings does Hang's mother have?
6. How long after Que's departure from the village before Chinh also leaves?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three years.
7. Name one of the recipients of Aunt Tam's divided house.
8. Who does Tam blame for her brother's exile and death?
(b) Ton's new wife.
(c) The French.
9. What is the name of Uncle Chinh's wife?
10. Which of the following subjects does Ton teach in the village?
(a) Basic science.
11. What present does Tam give to Hang before they depart on the ferry?
(a) Gold earrings.
(b) Family scroll.
(c) Jade pendant.
(d) Silk shoes.
12. Tam asks Hang to write how frequently?
(a) Every day.
(b) Every week.
(c) Four times a week.
(d) Once a month.
13. When Que returns to the village, how is Chinh regarded?
(a) He is insignificant.
(b) He has been forgotten.
(c) He is the most hated of all the former leaders.
(d) He is revered - there is a bronze statue in his likeness.
14. Who arrives to help celebrate Tet?
(a) Que's suitor.
(b) Uncle Chinh.
(c) Aunt Tam.
(d) Ton's wife.
15. What happened after Ton's mother and sister were denounced?
(a) Tam escaped to a neighboring village.
(b) Que moved in with her brother.
(c) Ton's mother passed away.
(d) Ton and Que stopped seeing each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the cyclo driver take Ton?
2. During land reform, Aunt Tam's home was divided into how many pieces?
3. What country does Hang live in at the start of the book?
4. Hang is reminded of a traumatic experience when her friend took her to what Eastern European city?
5. What is the name of Que's neighbor and confidante?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)