|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motorized transportation do Que and Hang take in order to reach the village?
2. What sound would Hang's mother hear that made her cry at night?
(a) The mortars hitting buildings.
(b) The howl of the wild dogs in the neighborhood.
(c) Her neighbors eating dinner with their families.
(d) The clock striking 8:00 p.m., the time her mother passed.
3. Relative to the salesman's visit, when does Ton return to Hanoi to see Hang's mother?
(a) Six months later.
(b) Two months later.
(c) One week later.
(d) One year later.
4. Why are the only true citizens, according to Ton?
(a) Scholars and soldiers.
(b) Proletarians and scholars.
(c) Proletariats and peasantry.
(d) Soldiers and peasantry.
5. What is the traditional length of mourning?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) One week.
(d) Three years.
6. What smell competes with the aroma from the food?
(a) Marsh gases.
(b) Agricultural byproducts.
(c) Industrial chemicals.
(d) Sewer and garbage stench.
7. Tam gets her home and rice paddies back when she is reclassified as what?
(a) A "middle peasant."
(b) The bourgeoisie.
(c) A proletariat.
(d) A scholar.
8. What were these food products made from?
9. Que's neighbor make che, a cake made of what?
(b) Mochi paste.
(c) Sesame seed.
10. Who does Hang meet on the train to Moscow?
(a) A neighbor from Hanoi.
(b) A Russian PhD student.
(c) A young boy traveling alone.
(d) An American soldier.
11. How old was Que when her mother died?
12. What country does Hang live in at the start of the book?
13. What does Ton find in the packet from his former student's parents?
(a) Rice cakes.
(b) A bible.
(c) Gold coins.
(d) A chain.
14. What sound does Hang often hear outside her home?
(a) The industrial factories.
(b) Farm noises.
(c) The birds chirping.
(d) The songs of the street vendors.
15. How many figurines does Que buy for hang?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tam worked for her aunt to make what food product?
2. Who led the accusations against Ton's mother and sister Tam?
3. Hang is reminded of a traumatic experience when her friend took her to what Eastern European city?
4. How much money did Hang have left in savings at the start of the chapter?
5. What does Hang see outside the train that reminds her of her family?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)