|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the revolution, what was the main source of labor in the village?
(a) Selling vegetables at the market.
(b) Raising cattle.
(c) Silk production.
(d) Working in rice paddies.
2. Tam advises Hang to honor who?
(a) Her ancestors.
(b) Her teachers.
(c) The president.
3. Which of the following is not a product found in the street markets Hang describes?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Sticky rice.
(d) Crab soup.
4. Which of the following instruments did Ton play?
5. Que and Hang must walk how many miles to get to the river?
6. Name one of the recipients of Aunt Tam's divided house.
7. What smell competes with the aroma from the food?
(a) Sewer and garbage stench.
(b) Agricultural byproducts.
(c) Industrial chemicals.
(d) Marsh gases.
8. Where does her mother live?
(b) Fountain Valley.
(d) New York City.
9. Hang's male companion shuts off what?
(a) Reading light.
(b) Cassette player.
(c) Tea kettle.
10. Who does Hang meet on the train to Moscow?
(a) A Russian PhD student.
(b) A neighbor from Hanoi.
(c) A young boy traveling alone.
(d) An American soldier.
11. Uncle Chinh tells Que what lie?
(a) He is sorry.
(b) He is giving them money.
(c) He is very sick.
(d) He is moving to Hanoi.
12. When Hang returns to the village with her mom, she collects what fruit on her first day?
13. What present does Tam give to Hang before they depart on the ferry?
(a) Gold earrings.
(b) Silk shoes.
(c) Jade pendant.
(d) Family scroll.
14. Ton goes to an old colleague whose family owns what kind of business?
(a) Fish sauce.
(d) Rice farming.
15. Que's brother tells her he and his family are moving to _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Chinh when his mother died?
2. What kind of alcohol does Aunt Tam serve?
3. Who does Tam blame for her brother's exile and death?
4. How did Ton die?
5. How does Hang describe the beauty of her first snowfall?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)