* Hang receives a telegram from her uncle in Moscow.
* Hang's uncle is sick and requests that she visit him.
* Hang, who is sick herself, feels obligated to go.
* Hang reveals some of her family history.
* She was raised by her mother in a shack in Hanoi.
* Her grandparents died young; Hang's mother stayed in the village while her brother joined the anti-French resistance movement with a relative.
* Hang grew up as a fatherless child.
* She describes when she first learned about her father when she was almost ten years old.
* Hang's mother describes her life growing up lonely in her father's house.
* Hang meets the handsome Ton and they are married quickly--sooner than traditional mourning periods allow.
* Chinh returns to their village, but is hostile towards Ton.
* Ton's mother and sister are denounced by the village.
* Ton's mother falls ill and dies.
* Ton escapes the village...
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)