Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapter 1 Abstract
* Hang receives a telegram from her uncle in Moscow.
* Hang's uncle is sick and requests that she visit him.
* Hang, who is sick herself, feels obligated to go.
Chapter 2 Abstract
* Hang reveals some of her family history.
* She was raised by her mother in a shack in Hanoi.
* Her grandparents died young; Hang's mother...
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)