|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grayson agree to stay on with the group?
2. How does the neighborhood attackers get in?
3. What makes it easier for the group to fit in?
4. Where does the radio say that people should stay away from?
5. What is the "magic word" that Lauren says to the woman and child that makes them stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain whether or not you classify this novel as science fiction. What elements of science fiction are present?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the qualities that Lauren has that make her a good leader. Using examples from the text, describe how she manages to convince people to join her group. What is it about her that seems to make people trust her or believe in her?
Essay Topic 3
Trust, or the lack of trust, between individuals is very important in the novel and shows to be instrumental in the success or failure of a community. Select three of the following relationships, and explain how trust between the following characters contributes to the ultimate success or failure of their community:
a. Cory and Mr. Olamina.
b. Lauren and Keith.
c. Lauren and Jo.
d. Lauren and Curtis.
e. Lauren and Harry.
f. Lauren and Bankole.
g. Lauren and Grayson.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)