|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the book about that Lauren lends to Joanne?
2. Where does Lauren's dad usually hold his services?
3. What kind of roofs do the houses have?
4. What is Lauren's sermon about?
5. What types of books is Lauren reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lauren think happens if Olivar succeeds?
2. Why is there sometimes problems with the relationship between Rev. Olamina and Jay Garfield?
3. Why doesn't Bankole want to bury the bones initially?
4. What is the difference between Lauren's and Joanne's bedrooms?
5. What is the difference between people in Olivar and people in company towns of the past?
6. What happens to Reverend Olamina's original church?
7. Why does Lauren say that the bubonic plague in medieval Europe represents positive change?
8. Describe Lauren's dream.
9. Why do Aura Moss and Michael Talcott leave their classes?
10. What is the story of the parable of the importunate widow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lauren's father is a very important influence in her life. Describe the role he plays in her development as a strong leader. What lessons does he teach her? What are his character flaws? Compare and contrast the way Reverend Olamina leads the community of Robledo and the way Lauren leads her community at Acorn.
Essay Topic 2
Lauren and others acquire "hyperempathy syndrome", which makes them feel both the pleasure and pain of those around them.
a. How does this syndrome affect the lives of those who have it?
b. What are the drawbacks and what are the benefits?
c. What is the effect of knowing that she contracts the disease from her drug-abusing mother? Does it make the disease seem more like a curse and less like a "superpower"?
d. How does having this syndrome affect your relationships with others?
e. Do you think the syndrome is real or that the sensations are illusions? Explain, based on evidence from the text?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Robledo neighborhood that Lauren leaves with the plan for Acorn. Explain the similarities and differences regarding the following:
a. How dissent is handled.
b. The racial/ethnic composition of the community.
e. People's ability to work.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)