|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Keith steal from a man on the freeway?
2. What does Keith bring back for Cory?
3. What is special about the water used for the baptism?
4. For how many years does Lauren's dad live in Los Angeles?
5. How many wives does Richard Moss have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lauren's stepmother say she prefers the city lights?
2. What are the "rules" of the group that Lauren shares with Grayson?
3. Why does Lauren say that the bubonic plague in medieval Europe represents positive change?
4. What two things show how important the baptism is to the adults in the community?
5. Why does Cory say that poverty leads to cleaner streets?
6. What do water peddlers do?
7. What are Olivar's problems before the company takes it over?
8. Why is Lauren convinced that her father is dead?
9. Why does Lauren describe the Noah story as having two parts?
10. Why is there sometimes problems with the relationship between Rev. Olamina and Jay Garfield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the qualities that Lauren has that make her a good leader. Using examples from the text, describe how she manages to convince people to join her group. What is it about her that seems to make people trust her or believe in her?
Essay Topic 2
Lauren and others acquire "hyperempathy syndrome", which makes them feel both the pleasure and pain of those around them.
a. How does this syndrome affect the lives of those who have it?
b. What are the drawbacks and what are the benefits?
c. What is the effect of knowing that she contracts the disease from her drug-abusing mother? Does it make the disease seem more like a curse and less like a "superpower"?
d. How does having this syndrome affect your relationships with others?
e. Do you think the syndrome is real or that the sensations are illusions? Explain, based on evidence from the text?
Essay Topic 3
Although Lauren is very young, she seems much older and more mature than even many of the adults around her. Explain some of the ways in which she seems older than her years, based on examples from the text. Do you think that this believable? What do you think causes Lauren to be so mature?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)