Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lauren plan to go when she leaves the neighborhood?
2. What family is affected by the latest robbery, in Chapter 11?
3. Where does Keith want to move to?
4. How is Keith killed?
5. Why doesn't Aura go out for target practice anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
2. Why does Lauren say that the bubonic plague in medieval Europe represents positive change?
3. Why does Lauren say that Zahra is useful?
4. What "family business" does Lauren's father believe in keeping private?
5. What is "prodigy" according to the opening passage of the book?
6. What happens to Reverend Olamina's original church?
7. Why does Lauren think the community that is burning is attacked?
8. What does Bankole say is the cause of all the human bones on the highway?
9. What does Cory accuse her husband of after Keith runs away?
10. What doesn't Lauren tell Curtis by Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 1
Explain whether or not you classify this novel as science fiction. What elements of science fiction are present?
Essay Topic 2
The lives of children in Butler's dystopic vision in not a very positive one. Explain how the social conditions of the time affect the lives of the following children:
a. Amy Dunn.
b. Tori Solis.
d. Doe Mora.
e. Justin Mohr.
Essay Topic 3
Although Lauren is very young, she seems much older and more mature than even many of the adults around her. Explain some of the ways in which she seems older than her years, based on examples from the text. Do you think that this believable? What do you think causes Lauren to be so mature?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)