|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lauren's father vote for in the Presidential election?
2. What does Lauren wish she takes with her on her journey?
3. What does the group, searching in the hills, find in the tree branches?
4. What do Cory and Rev. Olamina only drink on special occasions?
5. How old is Lauren's brother Keith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lauren tell Joanne about to give her an idea of how bad society becomes?
2. What does Lauren think is the best thing that happens to Bianca and Jorge?
3. Why do Travis and Zahra leave their employer?
4. What "family business" does Lauren's father believe in keeping private?
5. Why does Lauren's stepmother say she prefers the city lights?
6. Why doesn't Zahra and Lauren like each other back in the neighborhood?
7. Why do Paints set fire to the park?
8. What does Natividad teach Emery?
9. What does Zahra say she prefers life with Richard to life with her mother?
10. Describe Lauren's dream.
Essay Topic 1
Lauren's father is a very important influence in her life. Describe the role he plays in her development as a strong leader. What lessons does he teach her? What are his character flaws? Compare and contrast the way Reverend Olamina leads the community of Robledo and the way Lauren leads her community at Acorn.
Essay Topic 2
Trust, or the lack of trust, between individuals is very important in the novel and shows to be instrumental in the success or failure of a community. Select three of the following relationships, and explain how trust between the following characters contributes to the ultimate success or failure of their community:
a. Cory and Mr. Olamina.
b. Lauren and Keith.
c. Lauren and Jo.
d. Lauren and Curtis.
e. Lauren and Harry.
f. Lauren and Bankole.
g. Lauren and Grayson.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the qualities that Lauren has that make her a good leader. Using examples from the text, describe how she manages to convince people to join her group. What is it about her that seems to make people trust her or believe in her?
This section contains 1,552 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)