|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lauren's favorite book of the Bible?
2. What denomination of minister is Lauren's father?
3. Which of Richard Moss' wives holds the official marriage license?
4. How are Wardell Parrish and Rosalee Payne related?
5. What does Keith come back with the next time he runs away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zahra say she prefers life with Richard to life with her mother?
2. Why is it safer to be dirty?
3. Why doesn't Zahra and Lauren like each other back in the neighborhood?
4. Why are water stations dangerous places?
5. What does Lauren think Bankole is lying about?
6. What are the requirements to participate in the neighborhood watch?
7. What are the findings of the Anglo-Japanese Cosmological Station?
8. What lessons does Lauren learn on the road?
9. What doesn't Lauren tell Curtis by Chapter 13?
10. What does Lauren tell Joanne about to give her an idea of how bad society becomes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Cory knows what awaits her son outside the walls of Robledo, she approves of him leaving the community. Why do you think she does this? Describe the relationships she has with each of her children, her stepdaughter, and her husband. What do these relationships reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lauren's relationship with Bankole. Does this seem like a relationship of equals or is Lauren searching for a father figure? What do Lauren and Bankole have in common? What obstacles seem to stand in their way?
Essay Topic 3
Lauren rejects her Baptist upbringing with her more "universal" Earthseed philosophy. Explain how Butler presents the concept of religion in the novel. Does religion seem to be a positive or negative influence? Compare and contrast the religion of Rev. Olamina with the core Earthseed beliefs.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)