|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lauren plan to go when she leaves the neighborhood?
2. What family is affected by the latest robbery, in Chapter 11?
3. Where does Keith want to move to?
4. How is Keith killed?
5. Why doesn't Aura go out for target practice anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
2. Why does Lauren say that the bubonic plague in medieval Europe represents positive change?
3. Why does Lauren say that Zahra is useful?
4. What "family business" does Lauren's father believe in keeping private?
5. What is "prodigy" according to the opening passage of the book?
6. What happens to Reverend Olamina's original church?
7. Why does Lauren think the community that is burning is attacked?
8. What does Bankole say is the cause of all the human bones on the highway?
9. What does Cory accuse her husband of after Keith runs away?
10. What doesn't Lauren tell Curtis by Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 1
Explain what environmental changes occur in America at the time of the story. How does this affect the social fabric? What effects does it have on Lauren and the other characters? What environmental considerations do the travelers take into account when planning the community at Acorn?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Robledo neighborhood that Lauren leaves with the plan for Acorn. Explain the similarities and differences regarding the following:
a. How dissent is handled.
b. The racial/ethnic composition of the community.
e. People's ability to work.
Essay Topic 3
Lauren rejects her Baptist upbringing with her more "universal" Earthseed philosophy. Explain how Butler presents the concept of religion in the novel. Does religion seem to be a positive or negative influence? Compare and contrast the religion of Rev. Olamina with the core Earthseed beliefs.
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)