Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lauren plan to go when she leaves the neighborhood?
2. What family is affected by the latest robbery, in Chapter 11?
3. Where does Keith want to move to?
4. How is Keith killed?
5. Why doesn't Aura go out for target practice anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
2. Why does Lauren say that the bubonic plague in medieval Europe represents positive change?
3. Why does Lauren say that Zahra is useful?
4. What "family business" does Lauren's father believe in keeping private?
5. What is "prodigy" according to the opening passage of the book?
6. What happens to Reverend Olamina's original church?
7. Why does Lauren think the community that is burning is attacked?
8. What does Bankole say is the cause of all the human bones on the highway?
9. What does Cory accuse her husband of after Keith runs away?
10. What doesn't Lauren tell Curtis by Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 1
Explain whether or not you classify this novel as science fiction. What elements of science fiction are present?
Essay Topic 2
Trust, or the lack of trust, between individuals is very important in the novel and shows to be instrumental in the success or failure of a community. Select three of the following relationships, and explain how trust between the following characters contributes to the ultimate success or failure of their community:
a. Cory and Mr. Olamina.
b. Lauren and Keith.
c. Lauren and Jo.
d. Lauren and Curtis.
e. Lauren and Harry.
f. Lauren and Bankole.
g. Lauren and Grayson.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the qualities that Lauren has that make her a good leader. Using examples from the text, describe how she manages to convince people to join her group. What is it about her that seems to make people trust her or believe in her?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)