|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lauren plan to do for Amy?
2. Why does Lauren's father say he doesn't go North?
3. Why does Mrs. Sims live alone?
4. How much money does Keith steal from a man on the freeway?
5. How long does Lauren think her money lasts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Harry want to stay and build a community with the group?
2. Why are some families opposed to having guns?
3. What are Olivar's problems before the company takes it over?
4. What does it take to be a good member of Earthseed?
5. Why doesn't Zahra and Lauren like each other back in the neighborhood?
6. Why do Travis and Zahra leave their employer?
7. What does Zahra say she prefers life with Richard to life with her mother?
8. What does Natividad teach Emery?
9. What two things show how important the baptism is to the adults in the community?
10. What happens to Reverend Olamina's original church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Cory knows what awaits her son outside the walls of Robledo, she approves of him leaving the community. Why do you think she does this? Describe the relationships she has with each of her children, her stepdaughter, and her husband. What do these relationships reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 2
The lives of children in Butler's dystopic vision in not a very positive one. Explain how the social conditions of the time affect the lives of the following children:
a. Amy Dunn.
b. Tori Solis.
d. Doe Mora.
e. Justin Mohr.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Biblical parable of the sower and describe how it is an allegory for what happens in the novel.
a. How does the message of the Parable relate to Lauren's efforts to convert others to her Earthseed philosophy?
b. Why do you think Butler chooses this as the title for the book?
c. In general, how is organized religion portrayed in the lives of characters in the book? Does it seem to have more of a negative or positive influence on people's lives?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)