|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wives does Richard Moss have?
2. What is special about the water used for the baptism?
3. Who becomes pregnant in the neighborhood?
4. How much money does Keith steal from a man on the freeway?
5. What is Lauren's sermon about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there sometimes problems with the relationship between Rev. Olamina and Jay Garfield?
2. Why does Lauren call President Donner a "human banister"?
3. What is the difference between Lauren's and Joanne's bedrooms?
4. What is the story of the parable of the importunate widow?
5. What does it take to be a good member of Earthseed?
6. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
7. What does Lauren think is the purpose of prayer?
8. Why is it safer to be dirty?
9. Why does Lauren's stepmother say she prefers the city lights?
10. What does Zahra say she prefers life with Richard to life with her mother?
Essay Topic 1
Explain whether or not you classify this novel as science fiction. What elements of science fiction are present?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Biblical parable of the sower and describe how it is an allegory for what happens in the novel.
a. How does the message of the Parable relate to Lauren's efforts to convert others to her Earthseed philosophy?
b. Why do you think Butler chooses this as the title for the book?
c. In general, how is organized religion portrayed in the lives of characters in the book? Does it seem to have more of a negative or positive influence on people's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Robledo neighborhood that Lauren leaves with the plan for Acorn. Explain the similarities and differences regarding the following:
a. How dissent is handled.
b. The racial/ethnic composition of the community.
e. People's ability to work.
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)