|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What denomination of minister is Lauren's father?
2. What family is affected by the latest robbery, in Chapter 11?
3. What does Lauren say "can be our future"?
4. Where is the man that Keith steals from on the freeway headed?
5. How much money does Lauren save?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one paradox in Lauren's philosophy?
2. Why is there sometimes problems with the relationship between Rev. Olamina and Jay Garfield?
3. What are the requirements to participate in the neighborhood watch?
4. Who are the "Paints"?
5. Why is it dangerous for Bankole's brother-in-law to do odd jobs for cash?
6. What does Lauren think is the best thing that happens to Bianca and Jorge?
7. Why do Paints set fire to the park?
8. What are Olivar's problems before the company takes it over?
9. Why does Allie feel close to Justin?
10. Why do Travis and Zahra leave their employer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The America that Lauren lives in does not faced an apocalyptic event like a major terrorist attack, a war or an environmental disaster. Instead, the changes come about insidiously, over time. Explain whether you think this is realistic. What elements of American society in Lauren's world seem particularly realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what environmental changes occur in America at the time of the story. How does this affect the social fabric? What effects does it have on Lauren and the other characters? What environmental considerations do the travelers take into account when planning the community at Acorn?
Essay Topic 3
Trust, or the lack of trust, between individuals is very important in the novel and shows to be instrumental in the success or failure of a community. Select three of the following relationships, and explain how trust between the following characters contributes to the ultimate success or failure of their community:
a. Cory and Mr. Olamina.
b. Lauren and Keith.
c. Lauren and Jo.
d. Lauren and Curtis.
e. Lauren and Harry.
f. Lauren and Bankole.
g. Lauren and Grayson.
This section contains 1,554 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)