|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the group from the neighborhood go into the hills?
2. How old is Lauren on her birthday?
3. What is Keith allowed to do with the BB gun?
4. What are Lauren and her stepmother doing outside in Lauren's dream?
5. What kind of roofs do the houses have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard Moss' religion.
2. Why are some families opposed to having guns?
3. Why do some people think it is a waste to go to Mars?
4. Why is Lauren convinced that her father is dead?
5. What are the "rules" of the group that Lauren shares with Grayson?
6. What does Natividad teach Emery?
7. Why does Lauren's father stay at the university overnight?
8. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
9. Why does Allie feel close to Justin?
10. Who are the "Paints"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lauren's relationship with Bankole. Does this seem like a relationship of equals or is Lauren searching for a father figure? What do Lauren and Bankole have in common? What obstacles seem to stand in their way?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Biblical parable of the sower and describe how it is an allegory for what happens in the novel.
a. How does the message of the Parable relate to Lauren's efforts to convert others to her Earthseed philosophy?
b. Why do you think Butler chooses this as the title for the book?
c. In general, how is organized religion portrayed in the lives of characters in the book? Does it seem to have more of a negative or positive influence on people's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Explain whether or not you classify this novel as science fiction. What elements of science fiction are present?
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)