|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Keith get out of the gates?
2. What does Keith bring back for Cory?
3. What is Lauren's stepmother's first language?
4. How far away is Lauren's neighborhood from Los Angeles?
5. How many children live in the Yannis household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it safer to be dirty?
2. What does Natividad teach Emery?
3. Why doesn't Zahra and Lauren like each other back in the neighborhood?
4. What does Lauren think Bankole is lying about?
5. Why does Lauren say that the bubonic plague in medieval Europe represents positive change?
6. What does Lauren think happens if Olivar succeeds?
7. Why does Allie feel close to Justin?
8. Why are some families opposed to having guns?
9. Why is there sometimes problems with the relationship between Rev. Olamina and Jay Garfield?
10. Why doesn't Harry want to stay and build a community with the group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on Lauren's experience creating Earthseed, she describes it more as a process of discovering or uncovering an existing Truth, rather than creating a new religion from scratch. Explain how this process of revelation occurs to Lauren over time. What events seem to precipitate new revelations for her?
Essay Topic 2
Lauren says early in the novel that God might just be whatever it is that makes you feel "special and protected". She outlines various different ways people conceptualize God. For each of the following ideas of God, cite examples from the text that show people believing in this type of Deity, and explain how this belief influences the character's actions:
a. God as a "super person"--Big Daddy, Cop, King, etc.
b. God as a punisher.
c. God as Nature.
d. God as a spirit/a force/ the ultimate reality.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the government in America at the time of the story. What problems does the government face and how is it trying to solve those problems? How does the crisis facing the government affect Lauren's actions and the actions of the other characters?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)