|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lauren see in the sky?
2. Where does Lauren plan to go when she leaves the neighborhood?
3. What do Kayla Talcott and Lauren's birth mother have in common?
4. When does Lauren have her recurring dream?
5. When is the last time it rains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "prodigy" according to the opening passage of the book?
2. Why does Lauren's dad return to Robledo?
3. Why does Cory say that poverty leads to cleaner streets?
4. What is the difference between Lauren's and Joanne's bedrooms?
5. What does Lauren think is the purpose of prayer?
6. What does Lauren think is the best thing that happens to Bianca and Jorge?
7. Why is there sometimes problems with the relationship between Rev. Olamina and Jay Garfield?
8. What is Keith's punishment after leaving the neighborhood?
9. Why do Aura Moss and Michael Talcott leave their classes?
10. What are the "rules" of the group that Lauren shares with Grayson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The America that Lauren lives in does not faced an apocalyptic event like a major terrorist attack, a war or an environmental disaster. Instead, the changes come about insidiously, over time. Explain whether you think this is realistic. What elements of American society in Lauren's world seem particularly realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Trust, or the lack of trust, between individuals is very important in the novel and shows to be instrumental in the success or failure of a community. Select three of the following relationships, and explain how trust between the following characters contributes to the ultimate success or failure of their community:
a. Cory and Mr. Olamina.
b. Lauren and Keith.
c. Lauren and Jo.
d. Lauren and Curtis.
e. Lauren and Harry.
f. Lauren and Bankole.
g. Lauren and Grayson.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the government in America at the time of the story. What problems does the government face and how is it trying to solve those problems? How does the crisis facing the government affect Lauren's actions and the actions of the other characters?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)