|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the newest Cabinet Department in the United States Government?
2. Where is the man that Keith steals from on the freeway headed?
3. What does Lauren see in the sky?
4. What is Lauren's favorite book of the Bible?
5. Who wins the Presidential election?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the "Paints"?
2. What are the requirements to participate in the neighborhood watch?
3. What does it take to be a good member of Earthseed?
4. Why do Paints set fire to the park?
5. What is the story of the parable of the importunate widow?
6. What does Lauren think is the purpose of prayer?
7. Why doesn't the emergency bell ring when the neighborhood is attacked?
8. Why doesn't anyone bother calling the fire department after the fire?
9. Why does Lauren say that the bubonic plague in medieval Europe represents positive change?
10. What do water peddlers do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lauren's relationship with Bankole. Does this seem like a relationship of equals or is Lauren searching for a father figure? What do Lauren and Bankole have in common? What obstacles seem to stand in their way?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what environmental changes occur in America at the time of the story. How does this affect the social fabric? What effects does it have on Lauren and the other characters? What environmental considerations do the travelers take into account when planning the community at Acorn?
Essay Topic 3
Lauren and others acquire "hyperempathy syndrome", which makes them feel both the pleasure and pain of those around them.
a. How does this syndrome affect the lives of those who have it?
b. What are the drawbacks and what are the benefits?
c. What is the effect of knowing that she contracts the disease from her drug-abusing mother? Does it make the disease seem more like a curse and less like a "superpower"?
d. How does having this syndrome affect your relationships with others?
e. Do you think the syndrome is real or that the sensations are illusions? Explain, based on evidence from the text?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)