|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Keith steal from a man on the freeway?
2. Who teaches the martial arts classes to the neighborhood?
3. How does Keith get out of the gates?
4. Who are the only people who still keep dogs?
5. Who wins the Presidential election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it take to be a good member of Earthseed?
2. What does Cory accuse her husband of after Keith runs away?
3. What are the findings of the Anglo-Japanese Cosmological Station?
4. What are the requirements to participate in the neighborhood watch?
5. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
6. Why does Lauren's stepmother say she prefers the city lights?
7. Why does Cory say that poverty leads to cleaner streets?
8. Why is there sometimes problems with the relationship between Rev. Olamina and Jay Garfield?
9. Why does Allie feel close to Justin?
10. What lessons does Lauren learn on the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lauren has a dream in the first chapter about flying and facing a major obstacle. Describe this dream, and then explain its symbolism in the context of the novel. What themes does this dream foreshadow?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lauren's relationship with Bankole. Does this seem like a relationship of equals or is Lauren searching for a father figure? What do Lauren and Bankole have in common? What obstacles seem to stand in their way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the government in America at the time of the story. What problems does the government face and how is it trying to solve those problems? How does the crisis facing the government affect Lauren's actions and the actions of the other characters?
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)