Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lauren plan to go when she leaves the neighborhood?
2. What family is affected by the latest robbery, in Chapter 11?
3. Where does Keith want to move to?
4. How is Keith killed?
5. Why doesn't Aura go out for target practice anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
2. Why does Lauren say that the bubonic plague in medieval Europe represents positive change?
3. Why does Lauren say that Zahra is useful?
4. What "family business" does Lauren's father believe in keeping private?
5. What is "prodigy" according to the opening passage of the book?
6. What happens to Reverend Olamina's original church?
7. Why does Lauren think the community that is burning is attacked?
8. What does Bankole say is the cause of all the human bones on the highway?
9. What does Cory accuse her husband of after Keith runs away?
10. What doesn't Lauren tell Curtis by Chapter 13?
Explain the Biblical parable of the sower and describe how it is an allegory for what happens in the novel.
a. How does the message of the Parable relate to Lauren's efforts to convert others to her Earthseed philosophy?
b. Why do you think Butler chooses this as the title for the book?
c. In general, how is organized religion portrayed in the lives of characters in the book? Does it seem to have more of a negative or positive influence on people's lives?
Although Cory knows what awaits her son outside the walls of Robledo, she approves of him leaving the community. Why do you think she does this? Describe the relationships she has with each of her children, her stepdaughter, and her husband. What do these relationships reveal about her character?
Violence is presented almost neutrally in this novel. Sometimes it is very stark and cruel and other times it seems as a necessary means to an end. Describe two examples of each view of violence; as a senseless tragedy or as necessary for progress. Explain whether or not you think that the violence perpetrated by Lauren and her group is necessary.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)