|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children live in the Yannis household?
2. What kind of roofs do the houses have?
3. How many dead people does Lauren see on her way to get baptized?
4. When does Lauren have her recurring dream?
5. What does Keith take with him the next time he runs away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Allie feel close to Justin?
2. What does Natividad teach Emery?
3. What does Lauren tell Joanne about to give her an idea of how bad society becomes?
4. Why is it safer to be dirty?
5. Why doesn't Harry want to stay and build a community with the group?
6. Why do some people think it is a waste to go to Mars?
7. What's causing the chaos after the earthquake?
8. What lessons does Lauren learn on the road?
9. What are the findings of the Anglo-Japanese Cosmological Station?
10. Why is it dangerous for Bankole's brother-in-law to do odd jobs for cash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Lauren is very young, she seems much older and more mature than even many of the adults around her. Explain some of the ways in which she seems older than her years, based on examples from the text. Do you think that this believable? What do you think causes Lauren to be so mature?
Essay Topic 2
Lauren says early in the novel that God might just be whatever it is that makes you feel "special and protected". She outlines various different ways people conceptualize God. For each of the following ideas of God, cite examples from the text that show people believing in this type of Deity, and explain how this belief influences the character's actions:
a. God as a "super person"--Big Daddy, Cop, King, etc.
b. God as a punisher.
c. God as Nature.
d. God as a spirit/a force/ the ultimate reality.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Robledo neighborhood that Lauren leaves with the plan for Acorn. Explain the similarities and differences regarding the following:
a. How dissent is handled.
b. The racial/ethnic composition of the community.
e. People's ability to work.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)