|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keith give to Lauren on her birthday?
2. What does Lauren do to the dog at the end of Chapter Four?
3. Why doesn't Aura go out for target practice anymore?
4. How many children live in the Yannis household?
5. When does Lauren have her recurring dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some people think it is a waste to go to Mars?
2. Why does Lauren describe the Noah story as having two parts?
3. What are the findings of the Anglo-Japanese Cosmological Station?
4. What is Keith's punishment after leaving the neighborhood?
5. Why are water stations dangerous places?
6. Why doesn't Zahra and Lauren like each other back in the neighborhood?
7. Why do Paints set fire to the park?
8. What does Lauren think is the purpose of prayer?
9. What are Olivar's problems before the company takes it over?
10. What is the difference between people in Olivar and people in company towns of the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Lauren is very young, she seems much older and more mature than even many of the adults around her. Explain some of the ways in which she seems older than her years, based on examples from the text. Do you think that this believable? What do you think causes Lauren to be so mature?
Essay Topic 2
Explain whether or not you classify this novel as science fiction. What elements of science fiction are present?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Biblical parable of the sower and describe how it is an allegory for what happens in the novel.
a. How does the message of the Parable relate to Lauren's efforts to convert others to her Earthseed philosophy?
b. Why do you think Butler chooses this as the title for the book?
c. In general, how is organized religion portrayed in the lives of characters in the book? Does it seem to have more of a negative or positive influence on people's lives?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)