|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't Lauren's stepmother see when she is a girl?
2. What does Lauren's stepmother's mother tell her stars are?
3. What does Lauren want to call the emergency packs?
4. How does Reverend Olamina usually travel to work?
5. What is the newest Cabinet Department in the United States Government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
2. Why doesn't the emergency bell ring when the neighborhood is attacked?
3. What does Zahra say she prefers life with Richard to life with her mother?
4. Why are water stations dangerous places?
5. What does Emery tell Lauren about sharers having children?
6. Who are the "Paints"?
7. Why does Lauren say that Zahra is useful?
8. What does Lauren think happens if Olivar succeeds?
9. Why do Aura Moss and Michael Talcott leave their classes?
10. What does it take to be a good member of Earthseed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Cory knows what awaits her son outside the walls of Robledo, she approves of him leaving the community. Why do you think she does this? Describe the relationships she has with each of her children, her stepdaughter, and her husband. What do these relationships reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 2
Trust, or the lack of trust, between individuals is very important in the novel and shows to be instrumental in the success or failure of a community. Select three of the following relationships, and explain how trust between the following characters contributes to the ultimate success or failure of their community:
a. Cory and Mr. Olamina.
b. Lauren and Keith.
c. Lauren and Jo.
d. Lauren and Curtis.
e. Lauren and Harry.
f. Lauren and Bankole.
g. Lauren and Grayson.
Essay Topic 3
Although Lauren is very young, she seems much older and more mature than even many of the adults around her. Explain some of the ways in which she seems older than her years, based on examples from the text. Do you think that this believable? What do you think causes Lauren to be so mature?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)