|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wives does Richard Moss have?
2. Who else besides Lauren does not cry over Keith's death?
3. What company takes over the town of Olivar?
4. What disorder does Lauren suffer from?
5. What do Cory and Rev. Olamina only drink on special occasions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lauren think the community that is burning is attacked?
2. Why is Lauren convinced that her father is dead?
3. Why do Travis and Zahra leave their employer?
4. What does Natividad teach Emery?
5. Why does Lauren think it is a mistake to take Emery and Tori with them?
6. What is "prodigy" according to the opening passage of the book?
7. Why are water stations dangerous places?
8. What lessons does Lauren learn on the road?
9. Why does Bankole think buying a gun is more important than buying food?
10. What do water peddlers do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Biblical parable of the sower and describe how it is an allegory for what happens in the novel.
a. How does the message of the Parable relate to Lauren's efforts to convert others to her Earthseed philosophy?
b. Why do you think Butler chooses this as the title for the book?
c. In general, how is organized religion portrayed in the lives of characters in the book? Does it seem to have more of a negative or positive influence on people's lives?
Essay Topic 2
Although Lauren is very young, she seems much older and more mature than even many of the adults around her. Explain some of the ways in which she seems older than her years, based on examples from the text. Do you think that this believable? What do you think causes Lauren to be so mature?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Robledo neighborhood that Lauren leaves with the plan for Acorn. Explain the similarities and differences regarding the following:
a. How dissent is handled.
b. The racial/ethnic composition of the community.
e. People's ability to work.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)