|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do most families in the neighborhood get their news?
2. How does Mrs. Sims die?
3. Who does the astronomy book that Lauren learns the constellations from belong to?
4. Who does Lauren's father vote for in the Presidential election?
5. What does Rev. Olamina call Lauren that makes her think she is "close to trouble"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Natividad teach Emery?
2. Why is Lauren convinced that her father is dead?
3. Why does Lauren call President Donner a "human banister"?
4. Why does Allie feel close to Justin?
5. What do water peddlers do?
6. Why doesn't Harry want to stay and build a community with the group?
7. What is "prodigy" according to the opening passage of the book?
8. What does Lauren think happens if Olivar succeeds?
9. Why is there sometimes problems with the relationship between Rev. Olamina and Jay Garfield?
10. What is it about Lauren's flying in her dream that makes her seem "better" than she used to be, and what makes her still not an expert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence is presented almost neutrally in this novel. Sometimes it is very stark and cruel and other times it seems as a necessary means to an end. Describe two examples of each view of violence; as a senseless tragedy or as necessary for progress. Explain whether or not you think that the violence perpetrated by Lauren and her group is necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Although Cory knows what awaits her son outside the walls of Robledo, she approves of him leaving the community. Why do you think she does this? Describe the relationships she has with each of her children, her stepdaughter, and her husband. What do these relationships reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 3
Lauren rejects her Baptist upbringing with her more "universal" Earthseed philosophy. Explain how Butler presents the concept of religion in the novel. Does religion seem to be a positive or negative influence? Compare and contrast the religion of Rev. Olamina with the core Earthseed beliefs.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)