|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Kayla sing at the service?
2. What family is moving to Olivar?
3. How many wives does Richard Moss have?
4. What drug does Lauren's mother take while she is pregnant with Lauren?
5. Who does the astronomy book that Lauren learns the constellations from belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are some families opposed to having guns?
2. Why do Travis and Zahra leave their employer?
3. What does Natividad teach Emery?
4. What does Emery tell Lauren about sharers having children?
5. Why does Lauren think it is a mistake to take Emery and Tori with them?
6. Why are water peddlers dangerous?
7. What does Bankole say is the cause of all the human bones on the highway?
8. Why is Lauren convinced that her father is dead?
9. What two things show how important the baptism is to the adults in the community?
10. Why does Lauren's father stay at the university overnight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the qualities that Lauren has that make her a good leader. Using examples from the text, describe how she manages to convince people to join her group. What is it about her that seems to make people trust her or believe in her?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the affects of racial differences in the novel. Does race seem to matter more or less than in the America Butler describes than it does now?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lauren's relationship with Bankole. Does this seem like a relationship of equals or is Lauren searching for a father figure? What do Lauren and Bankole have in common? What obstacles seem to stand in their way?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)