|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what is Papillon working in "A Raft in a Tomb"?
2. Where is Papillon's friend, Carbonieri, killed?
3. How many others join Papillon on another cavale?
4. What does Papillon say is one of the dangers of life in prison?
5. How does Sylvain die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
2. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
3. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
4. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
5. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
6. How does Papillon end his story?
7. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
8. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
9. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
10. How does Papillon know that the revolt at the Royale prison has taken place and how does Papillon intervene to get the situation calmed down with the warden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why do the penal colony prisoners have especially lonely lives? Is that designed by the authorities to make the punishments especially trying? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Charriere was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)