|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do Papillon and his cohorts tie up when arriving at the country in #167?
2. What does Papillon name the large sized waves that he will need in his escape?
3. The new warden tells Papillon that Papillon is to work with __________________.
4. Where does the torpedo ship land?
5. How long does Papillon have to stay in the area before he can go free?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
2. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
3. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
4. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
5. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
6. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
7. How does Papillon end his story?
8. What is a "Lisette" and who agrees to accompany Papillon on his next escape attempt?
9. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
10. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Charriere uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling to survive is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)