|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is acquitted of his role in Papillon's escape attempt?
2. Papillon and his cohorts end up on the coast of which country?
3. What do Papillon and the others encounter a few days after their journey?
4. To which of the penal colony islands are the three organizers of the revolt sent?
5. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
Essay Topic 1
Freedom takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the passion for freedom? How pervasive were the attempts to achieve freedom? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling to survive is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)