|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is acquitted of his role in Papillon's escape attempt?
2. What challenge does Papillon and his new cohorts face when they begin their journey?
3. Who is Chang's brother who helps Papillon?
4. What does the man in #155 bring with him on the escape with Papillon?
5. What town are Papillon and his cohorts taken to by the police?
Essay Topic 1
Freedom takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the passion for freedom? How pervasive were the attempts to achieve freedom? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why do the penal colony prisoners have especially lonely lives? Is that designed by the authorities to make the punishments especially trying? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
PAPILLON is a classic loss-and-renewal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)