|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the torpedo ship land?
2. Who is Chang's brother who helps Papillon?
3. What seems to dismay Papillon about the prison?
4. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
5. What is Papillon's sole concern after being rescued by the torpedo ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
2. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
3. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
4. What is a "Lisette" and who agrees to accompany Papillon on his next escape attempt?
5. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
6. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
7. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
8. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
9. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
10. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling to survive is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Henri Charriere was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Charriere's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
PAPILLON is a classic loss-and-renewal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)