|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the animal that Papillon has to lead to the sea?
2. The new warden asks Papillon not to attempt an escape for ________________ and then the warden would be gone.
3. What is Papillon's extraordinary change in character?
4. Papillon says that it is a role of survival to have _________________ at all times.
5. What is the name of the torpedo ship that Papillon and the others see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon manage to get transferred back to Diable where his chances of escape are more favorable?
2. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
3. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
4. Describe Papillon's escape attempt with a man named Romeo Salvida and how the insane asylum is a critical part of the plan?
5. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
6. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
7. How does Papillon know that the revolt at the Royale prison has taken place and how does Papillon intervene to get the situation calmed down with the warden?
8. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
9. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
10. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for Papillon's life. Be sure to incorporate geographical, personal, political and cultural impacts.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)