|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papillon points out that there are male prisoners living _______________________.
2. Who is Chang's brother who helps Papillon?
3. What is the name of the prison where Papillon and his cohorts are taken?
4. How many others join Papillon on another cavale?
5. Which man does Papillon learn is watching Papillon's clandestine moves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for Papillon's life. Be sure to incorporate geographical, personal, political and cultural impacts.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why do the penal colony prisoners have especially lonely lives? Is that designed by the authorities to make the punishments especially trying? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)