|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the penal colony islands are the three organizers of the revolt sent?
2. What is Papillon's only job at the new prison?
3. What does Papillon have to hide during his escape plan?
4. What does Papillon name the large sized waves that he will need in his escape?
5. How long is Papillon to live in the rural area to complete his deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
2. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
3. How does Papillon manage to get transferred back to Diable where his chances of escape are more favorable?
4. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
5. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
6. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
7. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
8. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
9. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
10. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Charriere's life. What was France and French Guiana like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Charriere?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for Papillon's life. Be sure to incorporate geographical, personal, political and cultural impacts.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)