|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to dismay Papillon about the prison?
2. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
3. What does Papillon have to hide during his escape plan?
4. What does Papillon bribe those who dish out the food to do for him?
5. How does Sylvain die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
2. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
3. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
4. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
5. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
6. How does Papillon end his story?
7. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
8. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
9. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
10. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the prisoners are outside the ring of acceptable society, they do have a sort of societal structure and code of conduct. Explain how the prisoners organize themselves and how they create their own little society. What behaviors are accepted and which are not within the prison society? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What was the symbolism of the butterfly tattoo on Papillon's chest? What did it represent to Papillon? Why did Papillon choose a butterfly instead of some other image? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)