|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Papillon kill for squealing about Papillon's escape?
2. In what year is Papillon transferred to another island?
3. Which prisoner agrees to escape with Papillon this time?
4. What does Papillon know will happen to Carobnieri's dead body?
5. What tires Papillon soon while living in the location in #164?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
2. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
3. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
4. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
5. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
6. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
7. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
8. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
9. How does Papillon end his story?
10. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling to survive is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Freedom takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the passion for freedom? How pervasive were the attempts to achieve freedom? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)