|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Papillon refuse to come closer to the torpedo ship?
2. What is the name of the torpedo ship that Papillon and the others see?
3. Which prisoner agrees to escape with Papillon this time?
4. How long does Papillon have to stay in the area before he can go free?
5. Papillon and his cohorts end up on the coast of which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon know that the revolt at the Royale prison has taken place and how does Papillon intervene to get the situation calmed down with the warden?
2. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
3. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
4. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
5. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
6. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
7. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
8. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
9. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
10. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charriere was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling to survive is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)