|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in #155 bring with him on the escape with Papillon?
2. What is Papillon's response when three prisoners come to him with a plan for a revolt?
3. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
4. What occurs in Papillon's personal life?
5. Which prisoner agrees to escape with Papillon this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
2. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
3. How does Papillon manage to get transferred back to Diable where his chances of escape are more favorable?
4. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
5. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
6. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
7. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
8. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
9. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
10. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling to survive is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)