|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Papillon's new friend at the new prison?
2. Papillon and his cohorts end up on the coast of which country?
3. The new warden tells Papillon that Papillon is to work with __________________.
4. Why does Papillon refuse to come closer to the torpedo ship?
5. What is the name of the village where Papillon and his cohorts are taken in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
2. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
3. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
4. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
5. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
6. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
7. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
8. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
9. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
10. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for Papillon's life. Be sure to incorporate geographical, personal, political and cultural impacts.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Charriere. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)