|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
2. What does the man in #155 bring with him on the escape with Papillon?
3. The man in #139 plans to tie ________________ together to serve as a raft.
4. Who is the new warden now in charge of the Royale bagne?
5. What precious stones do the prisoners find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
2. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
3. How does Papillon end his story?
4. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
5. What is a "Lisette" and who agrees to accompany Papillon on his next escape attempt?
6. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
7. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
8. Describe Papillon's escape attempt with a man named Romeo Salvida and how the insane asylum is a critical part of the plan?
9. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
10. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the symbolism of the butterfly tattoo on Papillon's chest? What did it represent to Papillon? Why did Papillon choose a butterfly instead of some other image? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling to survive is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
What separated Papillon from most of the other prisoners? What made him relentless in his pursuit of freedom while most of the other prisoners had resigned themselves to their fate? Explain.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)