|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Papillon's only job at the new prison?
2. Which man does Papillon learn is watching Papillon's clandestine moves?
3. What is Papillon's sole concern after being rescued by the torpedo ship?
4. What occurs in Papillon's personal life?
5. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
2. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
3. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
4. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
5. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
6. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
7. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
8. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
9. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
10. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charriere uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for Papillon's life. Be sure to incorporate geographical, personal, political and cultural impacts.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)