|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes over the navigation of Papillon's boat?
2. Why does Papillon refuse to come closer to the torpedo ship?
3. What does the man in #155 bring with him on the escape with Papillon?
4. Who is acquitted of his role in Papillon's escape attempt?
5. The new warden tells Papillon that Papillon is to work with __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
2. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
3. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
4. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
5. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
6. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
7. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
8. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
9. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
10. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the symbolism of the butterfly tattoo on Papillon's chest? What did it represent to Papillon? Why did Papillon choose a butterfly instead of some other image? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Charriere uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)