|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papillon's time in the insane asylum is put down as _____________________.
2. What occurs in Papillon's personal life?
3. To which of the penal colony islands are the three organizers of the revolt sent?
4. What is Papillon's sole concern after being rescued by the torpedo ship?
5. How many others join Papillon on another cavale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
2. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
3. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
4. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
5. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
6. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
7. What is a "Lisette" and who agrees to accompany Papillon on his next escape attempt?
8. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
9. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
10. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Although the prisoners are outside the ring of acceptable society, they do have a sort of societal structure and code of conduct. Explain how the prisoners organize themselves and how they create their own little society. What behaviors are accepted and which are not within the prison society? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)