|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what island does Papillon get transferred?
2. What is the name of the village where Papillon and his cohorts are taken in?
3. Which prisoner agrees to escape with Papillon this time?
4. What does the man in #155 bring with him on the escape with Papillon?
5. What does Papillon bribe those who dish out the food to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon manage to get transferred back to Diable where his chances of escape are more favorable?
2. What is a "Lisette" and who agrees to accompany Papillon on his next escape attempt?
3. How does Papillon know that the revolt at the Royale prison has taken place and how does Papillon intervene to get the situation calmed down with the warden?
4. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
5. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
6. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
7. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
8. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
9. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
10. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why do the penal colony prisoners have especially lonely lives? Is that designed by the authorities to make the punishments especially trying? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Henri Charriere was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Charriere's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)