|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The new warden asks Papillon not to attempt an escape for ________________ and then the warden would be gone.
2. What does the man in #155 bring with him on the escape with Papillon?
3. To which of the penal colony islands are the three organizers of the revolt sent?
4. What is the name of the torpedo ship that Papillon and the others see?
5. What tires Papillon soon while living in the location in #164?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
2. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
3. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
4. What is a "Lisette" and who agrees to accompany Papillon on his next escape attempt?
5. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
6. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
7. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
8. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
9. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
10. Describe Papillon's escape attempt with a man named Romeo Salvida and how the insane asylum is a critical part of the plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charriere was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the major settings for the book. What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)