|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the penal colony islands are the three organizers of the revolt sent?
2. Why has Papillon decided to begin a new escape plan?
3. What is Papillon's only job at the new prison?
4. What is the name of the animal that Papillon has to lead to the sea?
5. Which man comes to Papillon with a plan for escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
2. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
3. How does Papillon end his story?
4. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
5. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
6. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
7. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
8. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
9. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
10. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the prisoners are outside the ring of acceptable society, they do have a sort of societal structure and code of conduct. Explain how the prisoners organize themselves and how they create their own little society. What behaviors are accepted and which are not within the prison society? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Henri Charriere was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Charriere's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)