|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Papillon kill for squealing about Papillon's escape?
2. How many others join Papillon on another cavale?
3. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
4. Papillon is warned that he cannot escape from the island in #146 because of __________________.
5. Papillon decides to count off this time in solitary in increments of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon end his story?
2. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
3. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
4. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
5. How does Papillon know that the revolt at the Royale prison has taken place and how does Papillon intervene to get the situation calmed down with the warden?
6. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
7. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
8. How does Papillon manage to get transferred back to Diable where his chances of escape are more favorable?
9. What are Papillon's plans for surviving the eight-year stint of solitary confinement?
10. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the passion for freedom? How pervasive were the attempts to achieve freedom? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Charriere's life. What was France and French Guiana like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Charriere?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Charriere. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)