|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papillon have to hide during his escape plan?
2. Papillon points out that there are male prisoners living _______________________.
3. Where does the torpedo ship land?
4. Who becomes Papillon's new friend at the new prison?
5. What is the name of the animal that Papillon has to lead to the sea?
Essay Topic 1
Freedom takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the passion for freedom? How pervasive were the attempts to achieve freedom? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Charriere uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)