|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is acquitted of his role in Papillon's escape attempt?
2. What does Papillon know will happen to Carobnieri's dead body?
3. Papillon points out that there are male prisoners living _______________________.
4. What is the condition on which Papillon is to be set free?
5. To what island does Papillon get transferred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
2. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
3. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
4. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
5. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
6. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
7. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
8. How does Papillon know that the revolt at the Royale prison has taken place and how does Papillon intervene to get the situation calmed down with the warden?
9. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
10. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Charriere was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)