|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Papillon's only rule for the three convicts wanting to leave on his boat?
2. Who gives Papillon and the others the directions to Ile aux Pigeons?
3. What is the name of the ship that transfers Papillon and the other escapees back to the bagne?
4. How much money does Galgani have?
5. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Clousiot and what is his connection to Papillon?
2. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
3. What is "a plan" and how does Papillon use it?
4. What does Papillon learn about prison sentences for men in Colombia?
5. What is the Ile Aux Pigeons and what benefit comes of visiting there?
6. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
7. Why does Papillon agree to carry a plan for another prisoner?
8. How are wardens punished when a prisoner escapes during their watch?
9. What does Papillon receive on the first anniversary of his solitary confinement and what happens to the man who smuggles it in to him?
10. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major settings for the book. What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the passion for freedom? How pervasive were the attempts to achieve freedom? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
What separated Papillon from most of the other prisoners? What made him relentless in his pursuit of freedom while most of the other prisoners had resigned themselves to their fate? Explain.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)