|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns Papillon in to the authorities?
2. What does Papillon admit to the authorities?
3. What is the destination of Papillon and Maturette when they set out from Trinidad?
4. How many men are in each cell at the Conciergerie?
5. Why does Papillon try to learn all he can about the bagne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "a plan" and how does Papillon use it?
2. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
3. What does Papillon receive on the first anniversary of his solitary confinement and what happens to the man who smuggles it in to him?
4. Why are Papillon's underworld friends pleased with Papillon's court appearance?
5. What is Papillon convicted of and what is his sentence?
6. What do Papillon and Maturette learn about staying in Trinidad?
7. What does Papillon do during an escape attempt from Barranquilla that prevents the escape?
8. Describe the dire conditions in which Papillon lives in while in the Santa Marta prison.
9. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
10. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henri Charriere was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Charriere's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Charriere uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)