|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in #19 say is his personal goal?
2. When an escape occurs on the island, the warden is punished by losing pay and ________________.
3. Why is Clousiot hospitalized on the island?
4. What is Ile aux Pigeons?
5. What is the nickname for the warden at the Royale bagne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the great irony of Clousiot's release from solitary confinement?
2. Who is Maturette and what is his role in the escape?
3. What does Papillon do during an escape attempt from Barranquilla that prevents the escape?
4. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
5. What information does Papillon receive from his friend, Batton?
6. What reason does Papillon give to Lati for leaving the Indian island?
7. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
8. Who is Clousiot and in what plan does Papillon include him?
9. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
10. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major settings for the book. What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Charriere was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)