|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what crime is Papillon on trial?
2. Why does Papillon try to learn all he can about the bagne?
3. Papillon ingests picric acid to prompt what medical condition?
4. What is Papillon's only rule for the three convicts wanting to leave on his boat?
5. What does Galgani ask Papillon to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
2. What is "a plan" and how does Papillon use it?
3. What information does Papillon receive from his friend, Batton?
4. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
5. What does Papillon inspect when they arrive at a house in Curacao and what charges are made against him regarding what Papillon inspects?
6. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
7. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
8. What is the great irony of Clousiot's release from solitary confinement?
9. Who are the three prisoners living in Trinidad and under what conditions does Papillon agree to take them with him?
10. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Charriere's life. What was France and French Guiana like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Charriere?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,636 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)