Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what crime is Papillon on trial?
2. Why does Papillon try to learn all he can about the bagne?
3. Papillon ingests picric acid to prompt what medical condition?
4. What is Papillon's only rule for the three convicts wanting to leave on his boat?
5. What does Galgani ask Papillon to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
2. What is "a plan" and how does Papillon use it?
3. What information does Papillon receive from his friend, Batton?
4. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
5. What does Papillon inspect when they arrive at a house in Curacao and what charges are made against him regarding what Papillon inspects?
6. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
7. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
8. What is the great irony of Clousiot's release from solitary confinement?
9. Who are the three prisoners living in Trinidad and under what conditions does Papillon agree to take them with him?
10. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
Charriere was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for Papillon's life. Be sure to incorporate geographical, personal, political and cultural impacts.
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)