|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the story begin?
2. What is a bagne?
3. Who is the island girl who claims Papillon as her own?
4. Who is the young man in #40?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Papillon and the others procure in Ile aux Pigeons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of reception do Papillon and his cohorts receive in Trinidad?
2. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
3. What is the great irony of Clousiot's release from solitary confinement?
4. Why is Galgani hesitant about taking back his plan?
5. Who is Clousiot and in what plan does Papillon include him?
6. What reason does Papillon give to Lati for leaving the Indian island?
7. How does Clousiot show some humor regarding how he left his cell?
8. What becomes Papillon's method of communicating while in solitary confinement?
9. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
10. Describe the dire conditions in which Papillon lives in while in the Santa Marta prison.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Although the prisoners are outside the ring of acceptable society, they do have a sort of societal structure and code of conduct. Explain how the prisoners organize themselves and how they create their own little society. What behaviors are accepted and which are not within the prison society? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What separated Papillon from most of the other prisoners? What made him relentless in his pursuit of freedom while most of the other prisoners had resigned themselves to their fate? Explain.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)