|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stalls Papillon's departure from Curacao?
2. What do Papillon and the man in #70 do to fend off fatigue and hunger while at sea?
3. Why is Clousiot hospitalized on the island?
4. How many men are in each cell at the Conciergerie?
5. What happens to Clousiot after two years in solitary confinement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What assistance does Papillon receive from the Bowen family in Trinidad?
2. What is the great irony of Clousiot's release from solitary confinement?
3. Why are Papillon's underworld friends pleased with Papillon's court appearance?
4. What does Papillon receive on the first anniversary of his solitary confinement and what happens to the man who smuggles it in to him?
5. Who is Clousiot and what is his connection to Papillon?
6. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
7. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
8. What information does Papillon receive from his friend, Batton?
9. What does Papillon learn about prison sentences for men in Colombia?
10. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Charriere. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)