|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are some of the prisoners whipped severely or burned with steam on board the ship to the bagne?
2. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
3. What is stuck to the bowl that the leper, Toussaint, hands to Papillon?
4. Which new prisoner does Papillon join in a daring escape?
5. What sentence are men never given in Colombia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the warden's terms to which Papillon agrees after his release from solitary confinement?
2. How does Clousiot show some humor regarding how he left his cell?
3. Describe the dire conditions in which Papillon lives in while in the Santa Marta prison.
4. What becomes Papillon's method of communicating while in solitary confinement?
5. What kind of reception do Papillon and his cohorts receive in Trinidad?
6. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
7. What does Papillon learn about prison sentences for men in Colombia?
8. Why are Papillon's underworld friends pleased with Papillon's court appearance?
9. What does Papillon do during an escape attempt from Barranquilla that prevents the escape?
10. What is the great irony of Clousiot's release from solitary confinement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
PAPILLON is a classic loss-and-renewal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling to survive is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)