|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days are Papillon and Maturette given to leave Trinidad?
2. Who is the star witness against Papillon?
3. What does Papillon show the man in #29 to indicate that Papillon is protecting Galgani?
4. Papillon's new escape plan hinges on _________________.
5. How old is Papillon when the book begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
2. What does Papillon learn about prison sentences for men in Colombia?
3. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
4. What assistance does Papillon receive from the Bowen family in Trinidad?
5. Who is Clousiot and what is his connection to Papillon?
6. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
7. What becomes Papillon's method of communicating while in solitary confinement?
8. What is Papillon convicted of and what is his sentence?
9. Who is Clousiot and in what plan does Papillon include him?
10. What group of people does Papillon encounter after he leaves Indian territory and who turns him in to the authorities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Charriere's life. What was France and French Guiana like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Charriere?
Essay Topic 2
What was the symbolism of the butterfly tattoo on Papillon's chest? What did it represent to Papillon? Why did Papillon choose a butterfly instead of some other image? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
PAPILLON is a classic loss-and-renewal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)