|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Papillon's only rule for the three convicts wanting to leave on his boat?
2. What is the reason for gunfire in the middle of the night at the bagne?
3. What does Papillon know when he reaches prison?
4. Who is the inmate with whom Papillon becomes a friend?
5. What happens when coconuts are withheld from Papillon for awhile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
2. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
3. What happens to hamper the escape attempt?
4. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
5. What is Papillon convicted of and what is his sentence?
6. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
7. What becomes Papillon's method of communicating while in solitary confinement?
8. What is "a plan" and how does Papillon use it?
9. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
10. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for Papillon's life. Be sure to incorporate geographical, personal, political and cultural impacts.
Essay Topic 2
Charriere was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,660 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)