|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the story begin?
2. What is a bagne?
3. Who is the star witness against Papillon?
4. For what crime is Papillon on trial?
5. Which new prisoner does Papillon join in a daring escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
2. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
3. What information does Papillon receive from his friend, Batton?
4. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
5. What do Papillon and Maturette learn about staying in Trinidad?
6. How does Papillon get some inside information about the bagne prior to arriving there?
7. What reason does Papillon give to Lati for leaving the Indian island?
8. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
9. Why does Papillon agree to carry a plan for another prisoner?
10. Why is Galgani hesitant about taking back his plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)