|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical condition does the prisoner named Ignace Galgani tell Papillon that he has?
2. Papillon learns of another escape attempt that results in several escapees eating _____________ other convicts.
3. Who is the woman who loves Papillon and cries out in the courtroom?
4. What does Papillon receive from a smuggler on the anniversary of his first year in solitary?
5. What does Papillon show the man in #29 to indicate that Papillon is protecting Galgani?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon get some inside information about the bagne prior to arriving there?
2. What are the warden's terms to which Papillon agrees after his release from solitary confinement?
3. What do Papillon and Maturette learn about staying in Trinidad?
4. Why does Papillon agree to carry a plan for another prisoner?
5. What happens to hamper the escape attempt?
6. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
7. What reason does Papillon give to Lati for leaving the Indian island?
8. Who are the three prisoners living in Trinidad and under what conditions does Papillon agree to take them with him?
9. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
10. What assistance does Papillon receive from the Bowen family in Trinidad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henri Charriere was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Charriere's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why do the penal colony prisoners have especially lonely lives? Is that designed by the authorities to make the punishments especially trying? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)