|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Papillon try to learn all he can about the bagne?
2. The bagne is located on which river?
3. What job does Galgani have at the bagne at this time?
4. Who is the star witness against Papillon?
5. Papillon determines the best way to deal with the mental challenges of __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Papillon and Maturette learn about staying in Trinidad?
2. What happens to hamper the escape attempt?
3. What is the Ile Aux Pigeons and what benefit comes of visiting there?
4. Who is Maturette and what is his role in the escape?
5. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
6. What kind of reception do Papillon and his cohorts receive in Trinidad?
7. What assistance does Papillon receive from the Bowen family in Trinidad?
8. Where is Papillon when the story begins and why does he think he is in his current situation?
9. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
10. What information does Papillon receive from his friend, Batton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Charriere. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Charriere's life. What was France and French Guiana like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Charriere?
Essay Topic 3
PAPILLON is a classic loss-and-renewal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)