|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many other escaped convicts does Trinidad have who have no way to leave the island?
2. What does Papillon receive from a smuggler on the anniversary of his first year in solitary?
3. Why does Papillon ingest the picric acid?
4. Who is the inmate with whom Papillon becomes a friend?
5. What is a bagne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
2. What is the great irony of Clousiot's release from solitary confinement?
3. What does Papillon receive on the first anniversary of his solitary confinement and what happens to the man who smuggles it in to him?
4. What are the warden's terms to which Papillon agrees after his release from solitary confinement?
5. What does Papillon do during an escape attempt from Barranquilla that prevents the escape?
6. Who is Clousiot and what is his connection to Papillon?
7. What becomes Papillon's method of communicating while in solitary confinement?
8. Why does Papillon agree to carry a plan for another prisoner?
9. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
10. How are wardens punished when a prisoner escapes during their watch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply PAPPILON? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Although the prisoners are outside the ring of acceptable society, they do have a sort of societal structure and code of conduct. Explain how the prisoners organize themselves and how they create their own little society. What behaviors are accepted and which are not within the prison society? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)