|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papillon realize about the boat to be used in the escape?
2. What stalls Papillon's departure from Curacao?
3. Who is the other prisoner who is going to escape with Papillon?
4. How many other escaped convicts does Trinidad have who have no way to leave the island?
5. The bagne is located on which river?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon end his story?
2. What reason does Papillon give to Lati for leaving the Indian island?
3. Who are the three prisoners living in Trinidad and under what conditions does Papillon agree to take them with him?
4. What misfortune befalls Papillon after he leaves the three convicts out on a beach a little ways from Trinidad?
5. Why does Papillon agree to carry a plan for another prisoner?
6. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
7. What happens to the three prisoners who come to Papillon with the plan for a revolt at Royale prison?
8. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
9. What is Papillon convicted of and what is his sentence?
10. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henri Charriere was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Charriere's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Charriere. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Although the prisoners are outside the ring of acceptable society, they do have a sort of societal structure and code of conduct. Explain how the prisoners organize themselves and how they create their own little society. What behaviors are accepted and which are not within the prison society? Explain.
This section contains 1,722 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)