|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papillon is placed in a jail in Caen while awaiting transfer to the prison in which country?
2. How many men are in each cell at the Conciergerie?
3. What color predominates the courtroom in which Papillon is tried?
4. How many days does the trip to the bagne take?
5. What is Ile aux Pigeons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of reception do Papillon and his cohorts receive in Trinidad?
2. How are wardens punished when a prisoner escapes during their watch?
3. What does Papillon do during an escape attempt from Barranquilla that prevents the escape?
4. Who is Clousiot and in what plan does Papillon include him?
5. What do Papillon and Maturette learn about staying in Trinidad?
6. Who is Clousiot and what is his connection to Papillon?
7. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
8. What is "a plan" and how does Papillon use it?
9. What becomes Papillon's method of communicating while in solitary confinement?
10. Describe the dire conditions in which Papillon lives in while in the Santa Marta prison.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charriere was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)