|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Papillon is so affected by Carobnieri's death that he ___________________.
(a) Writes a letter to Carobnieri's wife.
(b) Wants to die too.
(c) Vows to avenge Carobnieri's murder.
(d) Goes on a starvation diet.
2. Who takes over the navigation of Papillon's boat?
(a) The captain.
(b) A pilot.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A gunner.
3. What is the name of the village where Papillon and his cohorts are taken in?
4. What is Papillon's extraordinary change in character?
(a) He wants to study to become an attorney.
(b) He wants to return to his Indian wives.
(c) He wants to study to become a police officer.
(d) He wants to serve out his punishment and then go free and clear.
5. To which island is Papillon granted a transfer?
(b) St. Croix.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Papillon and the others encounter a few days after their journey?
2. Where does the torpedo ship land?
3. The new warden asks Papillon not to attempt an escape for ________________ and then the warden would be gone.
4. What does Diable mean?
5. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Papillon's escape attempt with a man named Romeo Salvida and how the insane asylum is a critical part of the plan?
2. How does Papillon end his story?
3. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
4. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
5. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
6. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
7. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
8. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
9. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
10. What is Papillon's idea to prevent the sharks from consuming Carbonieri's body?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)