|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Papillon's sole concern after being rescued by the torpedo ship?
(a) That he will be forced to join the army.
(b) He won't be able to choose where he lives.
(c) That he will be returned to France and face trial.
(d) That he will be returned to Devil's Island.
2. What is the name of the prison where Papillon and his cohorts are taken?
(a) El Durand.
(b) El Dante.
(c) El Diablo.
(d) El Dorado.
3. Papillon points out that there are male prisoners living _______________________.
(a) In squalor.
(b) As husband and wife.
(c) Like animals.
(d) Without speaking to anyone.
4. What does Papillon utilize to make the raft float?
(d) Inner tubes.
5. Which man comes to Papillon with a plan for escape?
(a) Romeo Salvida.
(b) Jacques Fournier.
(c) Vincent Boulange.
(d) Pascal Gaudet.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what island does Papillon get transferred?
2. How does Sylvain die?
3. Papillon says that it is a role of survival to have _________________ at all times.
4. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
5. What does Papillon name the large sized waves that he will need in his escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
2. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
3. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
4. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
5. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
6. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
7. What are the terms of Papillon's being set free?
8. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
9. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
10. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)