|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diable mean?
(c) Devil's Island.
2. What seems to dismay Papillon about the prison?
(a) Why any men would choose to work there.
(b) How the prisoners simply accept their fate.
(c) Why the wardens are changed so often.
(d) Why the food is always spoiled.
3. Papillon's time in the insane asylum is put down as _____________________.
(a) An epileptic seizure.
(b) A migraine attack.
(c) A temporary psychotic break.
(d) Symptoms of gonorrhea.
4. What does Papillon utilize to make the raft float?
(a) Inner tubes.
5. Papillon is so affected by Carobnieri's death that he ___________________.
(a) Vows to avenge Carobnieri's murder.
(b) Goes on a starvation diet.
(c) Wants to die too.
(d) Writes a letter to Carobnieri's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs in Papillon's personal life?
2. What does Papillon name the large sized waves that he will need in his escape?
3. How do the sharks know to come near the prison to eat the corpses?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Papillon tells the guards to have him admitted to the insane asylum?
5. What happens to the men who killed Carobnieri?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Papillon land after a departure from Georgetown?
2. What is a "Lisette" and who agrees to accompany Papillon on his next escape attempt?
3. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
4. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
5. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
6. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
7. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
8. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
9. How does Papillon know that the revolt at the Royale prison has taken place and how does Papillon intervene to get the situation calmed down with the warden?
10. How does Papillon manage to get transferred back to Diable where his chances of escape are more favorable?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)