|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes Papillon's new friend at the new prison?
2. Papillon points out that there are male prisoners living _______________________.
(a) Like animals.
(b) In squalor.
(c) Without speaking to anyone.
(d) As husband and wife.
3. Papillon's time in the insane asylum is put down as _____________________.
(a) Symptoms of gonorrhea.
(b) A migraine attack.
(c) An epileptic seizure.
(d) A temporary psychotic break.
4. The new warden asks Papillon not to attempt an escape for ________________ and then the warden would be gone.
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
5. How does Papillon know that this escape attempt is a success?
(a) He is promised a ride back to France.
(b) No prisoners have been returned since the onset of the war.
(c) He is with U.S. military personnel.
(d) The men on the ship are friendly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
2. What do Papillon and the others encounter a few days after their journey?
3. What is Papillon's extraordinary change in character?
4. What is Papillon's only job at the new prison?
5. Who does Papillon kill for squealing about Papillon's escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon end his story?
2. What is a "Lisette" and who agrees to accompany Papillon on his next escape attempt?
3. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
4. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
5. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
6. What is Papillon's sole concern upon being rescued and where is he taken?
7. Where does Papillon and Carbonieri bury the raft pieces during the time they are working on it and what is the method they are going to use to keep the raft afloat?
8. Describe Papillon's rescue by the torpedo ship.
9. Why does Papillon initiate a new escape plan and who does he enlist to help him?
10. What is the fishing village where Papillon and his cohorts live and where do the police eventually take them?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)