|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Chang's brother who helps Papillon?
2. What town are Papillon and his cohorts taken to by the police?
3. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
(a) That the prisoners' sentences will be commuted.
(b) That the prisoners will be set free to become soldiers.
(c) That prisoners will get better treatment from a new government.
(d) That a democratic government will be installed.
4. Papillon is warned that he cannot escape from the island in #146 because of __________________.
(a) The guards.
(b) The squealers.
(c) The high seas.
(d) The sharks.
5. How long does Papillon have to stay in the area before he can go free?
(a) One year.
(b) Ninety days.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs in Papillon's personal life?
2. What is Papillon's response when three prisoners come to him with a plan for a revolt?
3. What is the main livelihood of the people who take in Papillon?
4. Papillon's time in the insane asylum is put down as _____________________.
5. What seems to dismay Papillon about the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon end his story?
2. How much of his eight-year sentence does Papillon end up serving?
3. What ill fate does Sylvain come to during the escape attempt with Papillon?
4. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
5. How does Papillon manage to get transferred back to Diable where his chances of escape are more favorable?
6. How does the war play a part in Papillon's rescue?
7. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
8. For what reason is Papillon sentenced to eight years in solitary confinement?
9. How does Carbonieri die and what rule of survival does Papillon say that Carbonieri failed to uphold?
10. What reasons can Papillon give for Sylvain's demise and what selfish thought does Papillon harbor then?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)