|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papillon realize about the boat to be used in the escape?
(a) It is white and will be spotted easily.
(b) It is not sufficient to carry them to sea.
(c) It is leaking in several places.
(d) There are no oars with it.
2. What courtesy do the jailers extend to Papillon?
(a) He does not have to wear striped prison clothes.
(b) He can have all the cigarettes he wants.
(c) He is allowed visits from prostitutes.
(d) He does not have to wear handcuffs.
3. What is the name of the family which welcomes the escapees on the island in #49?
4. Who is willing to carry messages for Papillon?
(a) A guard.
(b) A cook.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A sweeper.
5. How many days does the trip to the bagne take?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for gunfire in the middle of the night at the bagne?
2. Why does Papillon try to learn all he can about the bagne?
3. How many years of solitary confinement do Papillon, Maturette and Clousiot receive when they return to the bagne?
4. Why are Papillon and Clousiot unable to make their escape from Colombia?
5. Where is the bagne located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Papillon receive on the first anniversary of his solitary confinement and what happens to the man who smuggles it in to him?
2. Why does Papillon agree to carry a plan for another prisoner?
3. Who are the three prisoners living in Trinidad and under what conditions does Papillon agree to take them with him?
4. What does Papillon inspect when they arrive at a house in Curacao and what charges are made against him regarding what Papillon inspects?
5. What happens to hamper the escape attempt?
6. What misfortune befalls Papillon after he leaves the three convicts out on a beach a little ways from Trinidad?
7. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
8. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
9. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
10. What kind of reception do Papillon and his cohorts receive in Trinidad?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)