|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the warden tell Papillon that he can escape?
(a) It would be better to go in the Spring.
(b) When hell freezes over.
(c) After the completion of the warden's term.
(d) Any time he wants.
2. Who is the island girl who claims Papillon as her own?
3. What does Papillon receive from a smuggler on the anniversary of his first year in solitary?
(c) Condensed milk.
(d) Hot meal.
4. What is a cavale?
(a) A French pastry.
(b) A boat.
(c) An escape.
(d) A gardening tool.
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Papillon's cell in the prison in #76?
(a) Rats run rampant.
(b) It floods at high tide.
(c) Crabs become a menace.
(d) It is built on a hilltop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the bagne located?
2. The warden tells Papillon that Papillon can remain at large on the island as long as Papillon promises to ____________.
3. How does Papillon incapacitate a guard to attempt another escape?
4. What happens to Papillon and the others when arriving at Curacao?
5. What happens to the smuggler in #97?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Clousiot and in what plan does Papillon include him?
2. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
3. What misfortune befalls Papillon after he leaves the three convicts out on a beach a little ways from Trinidad?
4. What happens to hamper the escape attempt?
5. What does Papillon receive on the first anniversary of his solitary confinement and what happens to the man who smuggles it in to him?
6. How does Papillon get some inside information about the bagne prior to arriving there?
7. Why is Galgani hesitant about taking back his plan?
8. What assistance does Papillon receive from the Bowen family in Trinidad?
9. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
10. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)