|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Papillon's sentence?
(a) Five years of hard labor.
(b) Twenty years to life.
(d) Life in prison with ZSSSSSSSSSShard labor.
2. Why do some of the other prisoners decline Papillon's offer to escape?
(a) They don't have the money.
(b) It is too risky.
(c) They are too weak.
(d) They want to wait for a better escape plan.
3. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
(a) He knows he is guilty.
(b) He will try to escape regardless of the sentence.
(c) He does not have the money for a good lawyer.
(d) He knows people in the city are already turned against him.
4. How much money does Galgani have?
(a) 5,000 francs.
(b) 10,000 francs.
(c) 25,000 francs.
(d) 100,000 francs.
5. What does Papillon know when he reaches prison?
(a) He will be set free.
(b) He will cause a riot.
(c) He will escape.
(d) He will die there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the bagne located?
2. What assistance does Trinidad's navy offer to Papillon and Maturette?
3. Who is the island girl who claims Papillon as her own?
4. Who is willing to carry messages for Papillon?
5. Papillon ingests picric acid to prompt what medical condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of reception do Papillon and his cohorts receive in Trinidad?
2. What information does Papillon receive from his friend, Batton?
3. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
4. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
5. Who is Clousiot and in what plan does Papillon include him?
6. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
7. Who is Maturette and what is his role in the escape?
8. What does Papillon learn about prison sentences for men in Colombia?
9. What do Papillon and Maturette learn about staying in Trinidad?
10. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)