|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man in #19 say is his personal goal?
(a) To consider Papillon's appeal.
(b) To work on Papillon's appeal.
(c) To let Papillon have a cell near a window.
(d) To shorten his time in jail.
2. Why does Papillon try to learn all he can about the bagne?
(a) So he can tell his wife about it.
(b) So he can make drawings of it.
(c) So that he can write a book.
(d) So he will be better prepared to escape.
3. Who turns Papillon in to the authorities?
(a) The Mother Superior.
(b) A scorned lover.
(c) A school teacher.
(d) Another convict.
4. What is Ile aux Pigeons?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A leper's colony.
(c) An aviary.
(d) An ocean current.
5. How much money does Galgani have?
(a) 10,000 francs.
(b) 25,000 francs.
(c) 5,000 francs.
(d) 100,000 francs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which prisoner takes great interest in Papillon's escape plan?
2. What is the role of the man in #19?
3. Why are some of the prisoners whipped severely or burned with steam on board the ship to the bagne?
4. Who is the young man in #40?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Papillon's cell in the prison in #76?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Papillon's underworld friends pleased with Papillon's court appearance?
2. What does Papillon call the "extraordinary" change in his character?
3. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
4. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
5. What is Papillon's new escape plan to get off of Diable?
6. How does Papillon end his story?
7. What reason does Papillon give to Lati for leaving the Indian island?
8. Describe Papillon's escape attempt with a man named Romeo Salvida and how the insane asylum is a critical part of the plan?
9. Who is the new warden at the Royale prison and what job does he give to Papillon?
10. How does Clousiot show some humor regarding how he left his cell?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)