|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The warden tells Papillon that Papillon can remain at large on the island as long as Papillon promises to ____________.
(a) Maintain the postal system.
(b) Not attempt an escape.
(c) Work in the infirmary.
(d) Manage the commerce system.
2. Papillon's new escape plan hinges on _________________.
3. Prisoners named Julot and ________________ have escaped the bagne and are now among Papillon's group.
(b) Le Guittou.
(c) Le Petit.
4. What happens when coconuts are withheld from Papillon for awhile?
(a) He can't sleep.
(b) He becomes very weak.
(c) He is dehydrated.
(d) He gets delirious.
5. What is the destination of Papillon and Maturette when they set out from Trinidad?
(b) The Bahamas.
(d) St. Bart's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country is willing to let Papillon and Maturette dock and rest for awhile on their journey?
2. What is a cavale?
3. Which prisoner takes great interest in Papillon's escape plan?
4. What are the people of Ile aux Pigeons careful not to do around Papillon?
5. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clousiot show some humor regarding how he left his cell?
2. Who are the three prisoners living in Trinidad and under what conditions does Papillon agree to take them with him?
3. Why does Papillon agree to carry a plan for another prisoner?
4. What misfortune befalls Papillon after he leaves the three convicts out on a beach a little ways from Trinidad?
5. Who is Clousiot and what is his connection to Papillon?
6. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
7. What becomes Papillon's method of communicating while in solitary confinement?
8. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
9. What group of people does Papillon encounter after he leaves Indian territory and who turns him in to the authorities?
10. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)