|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the prisoner who Papillon pays to help him escape?
2. Papillon learns of another escape attempt that results in several escapees eating _____________ other convicts.
3. Who is willing to carry messages for Papillon?
(a) A cook.
(b) A guard.
(c) A sweeper.
(d) A fisherman.
4. How many days does the trip to the bagne take?
5. How many other escaped convicts does Trinidad have who have no way to leave the island?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Papillon and the others when arriving at Curacao?
2. What does Papillon realize about the boat to be used in the escape?
3. What job does Galgani have at the bagne at this time?
4. Papillon makes friends with a fellow prisoner who helps get Papillon _______________________.
5. Papillon determines the best way to deal with the mental challenges of __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Papillon when the story begins and why does he think he is in his current situation?
2. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
3. What is "a plan" and how does Papillon use it?
4. What kind of reception do Papillon and his cohorts receive in Trinidad?
5. What misfortune befalls Papillon after he leaves the three convicts out on a beach a little ways from Trinidad?
6. What is Papillon convicted of and what is his sentence?
7. What happens to hamper the escape attempt?
8. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
9. Why are Papillon's underworld friends pleased with Papillon's court appearance?
10. How does Clousiot show some humor regarding how he left his cell?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)