|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Galgani have at the bagne at this time?
(a) Postal service.
(d) Boat repair.
2. What is the name of the ship that transfers Papillon and the other escapees back to the bagne?
3. What does Papillon know when he reaches prison?
(a) He will be set free.
(b) He will die there.
(c) He will escape.
(d) He will cause a riot.
4. Which country has no procedure for returning escapees because no one has ever made it that far?
5. When an escape occurs on the island, the warden is punished by losing pay and ________________.
(b) Time off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the other prisoner who is going to escape with Papillon?
2. Who is willing to carry messages for Papillon?
3. Prisoners named Julot and ________________ have escaped the bagne and are now among Papillon's group.
4. What does the man in #19 say is his personal goal?
5. In what year does the story begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the warden's terms to which Papillon agrees after his release from solitary confinement?
2. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
3. How does Clousiot show some humor regarding how he left his cell?
4. Describe the dire conditions in which Papillon lives in while in the Santa Marta prison.
5. Why is Galgani hesitant about taking back his plan?
6. Why does Papillon reject the idea of appealing his sentence?
7. What is "a plan" and how does Papillon use it?
8. How does Papillon get some inside information about the bagne prior to arriving there?
9. What becomes Papillon's method of communicating while in solitary confinement?
10. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)