|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the smuggler in #97?
(a) He is beaten to death.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He is buried alive.
(d) He is set off to sea on a raft.
2. From whom does Papillon receive a note in "En Route to the Bagne"?
3. How many days does the trip to the bagne take?
4. What is the destination of Papillon and Maturette when they set out from Trinidad?
(a) St. Bart's.
(b) The Bahamas.
5. What is the reason for gunfire in the middle of the night at the bagne?
(a) Three men are caught trying to scale the prison wall.
(b) A guard is torturing a prisoner.
(c) Julot has escaped.
(d) Girard faces a firing squad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a cavale?
2. What does the man in #19 say is his personal goal?
3. How many other escaped convicts does Trinidad have who have no way to leave the island?
4. Who is the other prisoner who is going to escape with Papillon?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the escaped convicts needing to leave Trinidad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papillon plan to pay for his escape from Santa Marta and what ruins that escape plan?
2. What is Papillon's philosophy about his escape attempts?
3. How are wardens punished when a prisoner escapes during their watch?
4. What weapon has Papillon been able to secure?
5. Who is Maturette and what is his role in the escape?
6. Why are Papillon's underworld friends pleased with Papillon's court appearance?
7. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
8. What assistance does Papillon receive from the Bowen family in Trinidad?
9. How does Papillon get some inside information about the bagne prior to arriving there?
10. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)