|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Papillon incapacitate a guard to attempt another escape?
(a) He pushes him down slippery steps.
(b) He stabs him.
(c) He puts a sleeping potion in his coffee.
(d) He strangles him.
2. What does Papillon show the man in #29 to indicate that Papillon is protecting Galgani?
(a) A lancet.
(b) A glass shard.
(c) A syringe.
(d) A needle.
3. What is the reason for gunfire in the middle of the night at the bagne?
(a) Three men are caught trying to scale the prison wall.
(b) Girard faces a firing squad.
(c) Julot has escaped.
(d) A guard is torturing a prisoner.
4. What medical condition does the prisoner named Ignace Galgani tell Papillon that he has?
5. When does the warden tell Papillon that he can escape?
(a) It would be better to go in the Spring.
(b) When hell freezes over.
(c) After the completion of the warden's term.
(d) Any time he wants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Papillon and the others the directions to Ile aux Pigeons?
2. Why do some of the other prisoners decline Papillon's offer to escape?
3. How many men are in each cell at the Conciergerie?
4. What is the role of the man in #19?
5. What are the men in the Caen jail not allowed to do all day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Papillon's underworld friends pleased with Papillon's court appearance?
2. What is the great irony of Clousiot's release from solitary confinement?
3. How are wardens punished when a prisoner escapes during their watch?
4. What kind of reception do Papillon and his cohorts receive in Trinidad?
5. What group of people does Papillon encounter after he leaves Indian territory and who turns him in to the authorities?
6. Who is Clousiot and in what plan does Papillon include him?
7. What happens to hamper the escape attempt?
8. How does Papillon describe the conditions of the men waiting to be transported to the bagne?
9. Where is Papillon when the story begins and why does he think he is in his current situation?
10. What do Dega and Galgani smuggle in to Papillon each day of his solitary confinement?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)