|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Papillon's response when three prisoners come to him with a plan for a revolt?
(a) He wants to be the leader.
(b) He wants to think about it.
(c) He discourages them.
(d) He wants to join in.
2. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
(a) He gets a reprieve from the king.
(b) He is ill and needs fresh air to live.
(c) He tries to save a young girl from a shark attack.
(d) He is teaching the warden's son how to speak German.
3. Papillon is so affected by Carobnieri's death that he ___________________.
(a) Vows to avenge Carobnieri's murder.
(b) Wants to die too.
(c) Goes on a starvation diet.
(d) Writes a letter to Carobnieri's wife.
4. How does Sylvain die?
(a) He breaks his neck in a fall.
(b) He is eaten by sharks.
(c) He is shot by a guard.
(d) He is swallowed by quicksand.
5. What does Papillon utilize to make the raft float?
(a) Inner tubes.
6. What happens to the men who killed Carobnieri?
(a) They are found innocent.
(b) The prisoners kill them.
(c) They are found guilty but pardoned.
(d) They are exiled on a raft with no supplies.
7. What does Diable mean?
(c) Devil's Island.
8. Papillon points out that there are male prisoners living _______________________.
(a) As husband and wife.
(b) In squalor.
(c) Like animals.
(d) Without speaking to anyone.
9. To which of the penal colony islands are the three organizers of the revolt sent?
(c) Saint Joseph.
(d) Saint Thomas.
10. Which of the following is NOT something Papillon tells the guards to have him admitted to the insane asylum?
(a) He hears his dead mother talking to him.
(b) He has black dots in front of his eyes that go away when he looks in the mirror.
(c) He hears the constant sound of pumping.
(d) He is battling invisible tormentors.
11. One day, someone asks Papillon if Maturette is ___________________.
(a) Innocent of his crime.
(b) Papillon's property.
(c) An educated man.
(d) A religious man.
12. What town are Papillon and his cohorts taken to by the police?
13. What precious stones do the prisoners find?
14. Who becomes Papillon's new friend at the new prison?
15. What do Papillon and the others encounter a few days after their journey?
(a) A dirigible.
(b) A yacht.
(c) A cruise ship.
(d) U.S. Air Force planes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papillon buries pieces of the raft in the garden and in __________________.
2. Who takes over the navigation of Papillon's boat?
3. How old is Papillon when he is transferred to the new island?
4. What is the name of the village where Papillon and his cohorts are taken in?
5. What is Papillon's only job at the new prison?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)