|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Papillon's time in the insane asylum is put down as _____________________.
(a) An epileptic seizure.
(b) A temporary psychotic break.
(c) A migraine attack.
(d) Symptoms of gonorrhea.
2. What is Papillon's sole concern after being rescued by the torpedo ship?
(a) He won't be able to choose where he lives.
(b) That he will be returned to France and face trial.
(c) That he will be forced to join the army.
(d) That he will be returned to Devil's Island.
3. What is the name of the prison where Papillon and his cohorts are taken?
(a) El Dorado.
(b) El Durand.
(c) El Diablo.
(d) El Dante.
4. What occurs in Papillon's personal life?
(a) He becomes a minister.
(b) He learns the trade of carpentry.
(c) He marries and fathers a child.
(d) He converts to Catholicism.
5. What does the man in #155 bring with him on the escape with Papillon?
(a) A plan.
(b) Medical supplies.
(c) A pig.
(d) A map.
6. Why does Papillon refuse to come closer to the torpedo ship?
(a) He doesn't know if it is an enemy ship.
(b) He does not want to be sent back to the bagne.
(c) He thinks it would fire on him.
(d) His smaller boat will be broken to pieces.
7. To which of the penal colony islands are the three organizers of the revolt sent?
(b) Saint Joseph.
(c) Saint Thomas.
8. What is the name of the torpedo ship that Papillon and the others see?
9. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
(a) That a democratic government will be installed.
(b) That the prisoners will be set free to become soldiers.
(c) That prisoners will get better treatment from a new government.
(d) That the prisoners' sentences will be commuted.
10. How do the sharks know to come near the prison to eat the corpses?
(a) They are always there.
(b) They come when they smell blood.
(c) They come every day at the same time.
(d) They come after the bell is rung.
11. To what island does Papillon get transferred?
(a) Saint Marks.
(c) Petit Manse.
12. What precious stones do the prisoners find?
13. What town are Papillon and his cohorts taken to by the police?
14. Why has Papillon decided to begin a new escape plan?
(a) He wants to return to Curacao.
(b) The old warden is gone.
(c) The weather is more favorable.
(d) He is feeling healthy again.
15. What is Papillon's only job at the new prison?
(a) Cleaning bathrooms.
(b) Feeding pigs.
(c) Catching fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes over the navigation of Papillon's boat?
2. What happens to the men who killed Carobnieri?
3. What place does Papillon say that he wants to stay and make his home?
4. What is the name of the village where Papillon and his cohorts are taken in?
5. What does Papillon name the large sized waves that he will need in his escape?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)