|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
(a) He is ill and needs fresh air to live.
(b) He gets a reprieve from the king.
(c) He tries to save a young girl from a shark attack.
(d) He is teaching the warden's son how to speak German.
2. What does Papillon name the large sized waves that he will need in his escape?
3. What is the main livelihood of the people who take in Papillon?
4. Who becomes Papillon's new friend at the new prison?
5. Where does the torpedo ship land?
(c) St. Barts.
6. Who does Papillon invite to join him in his escape?
(a) Matthieu Carbonieri.
(b) Jacques Chevalier.
(c) Frederic Dupont.
(d) Edward Garnier.
7. Which man comes to Papillon with a plan for escape?
(a) Vincent Boulange.
(b) Pascal Gaudet.
(c) Jacques Fournier.
(d) Romeo Salvida.
8. Why has Papillon decided to begin a new escape plan?
(a) The old warden is gone.
(b) The weather is more favorable.
(c) He wants to return to Curacao.
(d) He is feeling healthy again.
9. What challenge does Papillon and his new cohorts face when they begin their journey?
(a) Rough seas.
(c) Sting Rays.
10. What is Papillon's extraordinary change in character?
(a) He wants to return to his Indian wives.
(b) He wants to study to become a police officer.
(c) He wants to study to become an attorney.
(d) He wants to serve out his punishment and then go free and clear.
11. Who takes over the navigation of Papillon's boat?
(a) The captain.
(b) A gunner.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A pilot.
12. What does Diable mean?
(a) Devil's Island.
13. What does Papillon utilize to make the raft float?
(b) Inner tubes.
14. In what year is Papillon transferred to another island?
15. What happens to Salvida during the escape attempt?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He is crushed on the rocks.
(c) He is eaten by a shark.
(d) He is shot by a guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Papillon know that this escape attempt is a success?
2. What does Papillon bribe those who dish out the food to do for him?
3. What precious stones do the prisoners find?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Papillon tells the guards to have him admitted to the insane asylum?
5. Papillon points out that there are male prisoners living _______________________.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)