|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
(a) That the prisoners' sentences will be commuted.
(b) That prisoners will get better treatment from a new government.
(c) That a democratic government will be installed.
(d) That the prisoners will be set free to become soldiers.
2. Papillon says that it is a role of survival to have _________________ at all times.
(b) A knife.
3. How do the sharks know to come near the prison to eat the corpses?
(a) They come when they smell blood.
(b) They come every day at the same time.
(c) They come after the bell is rung.
(d) They are always there.
4. How many years of solitary confinement does Papillon receive for killing the man in #116?
5. What is Papillon's sole concern after being rescued by the torpedo ship?
(a) That he will be forced to join the army.
(b) That he will be returned to Devil's Island.
(c) He won't be able to choose where he lives.
(d) That he will be returned to France and face trial.
6. What happens to Salvida during the escape attempt?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He is eaten by a shark.
(c) He is crushed on the rocks.
(d) He is shot by a guard.
7. To which island is Papillon granted a transfer?
(d) St. Croix.
8. Who becomes Papillon's new friend at the new prison?
9. What occurs in Papillon's personal life?
(a) He becomes a minister.
(b) He learns the trade of carpentry.
(c) He marries and fathers a child.
(d) He converts to Catholicism.
10. What seems to dismay Papillon about the prison?
(a) How the prisoners simply accept their fate.
(b) Why any men would choose to work there.
(c) Why the wardens are changed so often.
(d) Why the food is always spoiled.
11. Who does Papillon invite to join him in his escape?
(a) Matthieu Carbonieri.
(b) Jacques Chevalier.
(c) Frederic Dupont.
(d) Edward Garnier.
12. The new warden tells Papillon that Papillon is to work with __________________.
(a) The buffaloes.
(b) The chickens.
(c) The fishermen.
(d) The gardeners.
13. Which man does Papillon learn is watching Papillon's clandestine moves?
(a) Alain Fournier.
(b) Bebert Celier.
(c) Robert Duvalier.
(d) Philippe Grosvenor.
14. Who takes over the navigation of Papillon's boat?
(a) A pilot.
(b) A gunner.
(c) A sailor.
(d) The captain.
15. Which of the following is NOT something Papillon tells the guards to have him admitted to the insane asylum?
(a) He is battling invisible tormentors.
(b) He hears the constant sound of pumping.
(c) He has black dots in front of his eyes that go away when he looks in the mirror.
(d) He hears his dead mother talking to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Papillon kill for squealing about Papillon's escape?
2. Which man comes to Papillon with a plan for escape?
3. Why is Papillon saddled with the mentally and physically challenged man?
4. How many others join Papillon on another cavale?
5. One day, someone asks Papillon if Maturette is ___________________.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)