|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems to dismay Papillon about the prison?
(a) Why the food is always spoiled.
(b) How the prisoners simply accept their fate.
(c) Why the wardens are changed so often.
(d) Why any men would choose to work there.
2. What is Papillon's response when three prisoners come to him with a plan for a revolt?
(a) He discourages them.
(b) He wants to join in.
(c) He wants to be the leader.
(d) He wants to think about it.
3. What happens to Salvida during the escape attempt?
(a) He is shot by a guard.
(b) He is crushed on the rocks.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is eaten by a shark.
4. What is Papillon's sole concern after being rescued by the torpedo ship?
(a) That he will be forced to join the army.
(b) He won't be able to choose where he lives.
(c) That he will be returned to France and face trial.
(d) That he will be returned to Devil's Island.
5. What does Papillon say is one of the dangers of life in prison?
(a) Eating rotten meat.
(b) A false sense of security.
(c) The cold, wet living conditions.
(d) Alienating the guards.
6. To what island does Papillon get transferred?
(a) Petit Manse.
(b) Saint Marks.
7. What place does Papillon say that he wants to stay and make his home?
8. The new warden tells Papillon that Papillon is to work with __________________.
(a) The buffaloes.
(b) The fishermen.
(c) The gardeners.
(d) The chickens.
9. How long does Papillon have to stay in the area before he can go free?
(a) Six months.
(b) Ninety days.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
10. Who does Papillon invite to join him in his escape?
(a) Edward Garnier.
(b) Matthieu Carbonieri.
(c) Jacques Chevalier.
(d) Frederic Dupont.
11. What is the main livelihood of the people who take in Papillon?
12. How does Sylvain die?
(a) He is swallowed by quicksand.
(b) He is eaten by sharks.
(c) He is shot by a guard.
(d) He breaks his neck in a fall.
13. How do the sharks know to come near the prison to eat the corpses?
(a) They come when they smell blood.
(b) They are always there.
(c) They come after the bell is rung.
(d) They come every day at the same time.
14. The man in #139 plans to tie ________________ together to serve as a raft.
(a) Milk bottles.
15. Why does Papillon refuse to come closer to the torpedo ship?
(a) He does not want to be sent back to the bagne.
(b) He thinks it would fire on him.
(c) His smaller boat will be broken to pieces.
(d) He doesn't know if it is an enemy ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes over the navigation of Papillon's boat?
2. Who is acquitted of his role in Papillon's escape attempt?
3. To which island is Papillon granted a transfer?
4. Which man does Papillon learn is watching Papillon's clandestine moves?
5. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)