|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papillon have to hide during his escape plan?
(a) Medical supplies.
(b) Dried food.
(c) Pieces of a raft.
2. What is Papillon's sole concern after being rescued by the torpedo ship?
(a) He won't be able to choose where he lives.
(b) That he will be returned to Devil's Island.
(c) That he will be forced to join the army.
(d) That he will be returned to France and face trial.
3. Why is Papillon set free after only 19 months of an eight-year sentence?
(a) He is ill and needs fresh air to live.
(b) He gets a reprieve from the king.
(c) He tries to save a young girl from a shark attack.
(d) He is teaching the warden's son how to speak German.
4. The new warden tells Papillon that Papillon is to work with __________________.
(a) The buffaloes.
(b) The gardeners.
(c) The fishermen.
(d) The chickens.
5. To which of the penal colony islands are the three organizers of the revolt sent?
(c) Saint Joseph.
(d) Saint Thomas.
6. One day, someone asks Papillon if Maturette is ___________________.
(a) An educated man.
(b) Papillon's property.
(c) Innocent of his crime.
(d) A religious man.
7. What place does Papillon say that he wants to stay and make his home?
8. In what year is Papillon transferred to another island?
9. Papillon is warned that he cannot escape from the island in #146 because of __________________.
(a) The high seas.
(b) The squealers.
(c) The guards.
(d) The sharks.
10. What challenge does Papillon and his new cohorts face when they begin their journey?
(a) Rough seas.
(d) Sting Rays.
11. Papillon buries pieces of the raft in the garden and in __________________.
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The beach.
(c) The orchard.
(d) The church yard.
12. Which of the following is NOT something Papillon tells the guards to have him admitted to the insane asylum?
(a) He hears his dead mother talking to him.
(b) He hears the constant sound of pumping.
(c) He has black dots in front of his eyes that go away when he looks in the mirror.
(d) He is battling invisible tormentors.
13. Who takes over the navigation of Papillon's boat?
(a) The captain.
(b) A gunner.
(c) A pilot.
(d) A sailor.
14. Who becomes Papillon's new friend at the new prison?
15. What is the name of the prison where Papillon and his cohorts are taken?
(a) El Dante.
(b) El Durand.
(c) El Diablo.
(d) El Dorado.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years of solitary confinement does Papillon receive for killing the man in #116?
2. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
3. What is Papillon's extraordinary change in character?
4. What does Papillon utilize to make the raft float?
5. What happens to Salvida during the escape attempt?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)