|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Papillon's extraordinary change in character?
(a) He wants to study to become a police officer.
(b) He wants to serve out his punishment and then go free and clear.
(c) He wants to return to his Indian wives.
(d) He wants to study to become an attorney.
2. How does Papillon know that this escape attempt is a success?
(a) He is with U.S. military personnel.
(b) The men on the ship are friendly.
(c) No prisoners have been returned since the onset of the war.
(d) He is promised a ride back to France.
3. What precious stones do the prisoners find?
4. What is the condition on which Papillon is to be set free?
(a) That he will leave and never return.
(b) That he will turn over the diamonds.
(c) That he will take care of an old man.
(d) That he will cooperate with authorities.
5. Why is Papillon saddled with the mentally and physically challenged man?
(a) Papillon can speak Spanish.
(b) The man can teach Papillon a new trade.
(c) Papillon can carry him where he needs to go.
(d) The man adores Papillon.
6. Who is the new warden now in charge of the Royale bagne?
7. Papillon says that it is a role of survival to have _________________ at all times.
(a) A knife.
8. What do some of the prisoners hope for when they hear rumors of civil unrest in France?
(a) That the prisoners will be set free to become soldiers.
(b) That the prisoners' sentences will be commuted.
(c) That a democratic government will be installed.
(d) That prisoners will get better treatment from a new government.
9. Which man comes to Papillon with a plan for escape?
(a) Jacques Fournier.
(b) Vincent Boulange.
(c) Pascal Gaudet.
(d) Romeo Salvida.
10. To what do Papillon and his cohorts tie up when arriving at the country in #167?
(a) A mine.
(b) A yacht.
(c) A reef.
(d) A dock.
11. Why has Papillon decided to begin a new escape plan?
(a) He wants to return to Curacao.
(b) He is feeling healthy again.
(c) The weather is more favorable.
(d) The old warden is gone.
12. Where is Papillon's friend, Carbonieri, killed?
(a) In the chapel.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In the washroom.
(d) In the dining hall.
13. What does Papillon say is one of the dangers of life in prison?
(a) The cold, wet living conditions.
(b) Eating rotten meat.
(c) Alienating the guards.
(d) A false sense of security.
14. On what is Papillon working in "A Raft in a Tomb"?
(a) An organic garden.
(b) A prison library.
(c) His next escape plan.
(d) Boat repairs.
15. Papillon buries pieces of the raft in the garden and in __________________.
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The orchard.
(c) The church yard.
(d) The beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Papillon to live in the rural area to complete his deal?
2. What does Papillon name the large sized waves that he will need in his escape?
3. What challenge does Papillon and his new cohorts face when they begin their journey?
4. One day, someone asks Papillon if Maturette is ___________________.
5. Papillon's time in the insane asylum is put down as _____________________.
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)