|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papillon admit to the authorities?
(a) He has escaped from Rio Hacha.
(b) He will kill himself before being taken back to prison.
(c) He will give them all his pearls if they don't arrest him.
(d) He will kill anyone who tries to stop him from leaving.
2. Why does Papillon think it would be wrong to punish him for trying to escape?
(a) Because he is insane.
(b) Because it is what every man would do in his position.
(c) Because he is an innocent man.
(d) Because he never killed any guards.
3. Papillon makes friends with a fellow prisoner who helps get Papillon _______________________.
(a) Some different clothes.
(b) Better food.
(c) Returned to the general population.
(d) An earlier release date.
4. Who is the prisoner who Papillon pays to help him escape?
5. What happens when coconuts are withheld from Papillon for awhile?
(a) He becomes very weak.
(b) He can't sleep.
(c) He is dehydrated.
(d) He gets delirious.
6. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
(a) He knows people in the city are already turned against him.
(b) He knows he is guilty.
(c) He does not have the money for a good lawyer.
(d) He will try to escape regardless of the sentence.
7. What happens to Clousiot after two years in solitary confinement?
(a) He goes crazy.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He dies a few days after his release.
(d) He is sent back to France.
8. In what prison is Papillon held for awhile in Colombia?
(a) Santa Clara.
(b) Santa Maria.
(c) Santa Louisa.
(d) Santa Marta.
9. How does the man in #42 break his leg?
(a) A guard shoots him in the leg.
(b) Jumping over the prison wall.
(c) He falls into a ditch.
(d) A wagon falls on it.
10. One of the men in Papillon's group grew up at the bagne and is ___________________.
(a) a cook's son.
(b) a judge's son.
(c) a prison guard's son.
(d) a minister's son.
11. Why is Clousiot hospitalized on the island?
(a) For tuberculosis.
(b) For dysentery.
(c) For malaria.
(d) For a broken leg.
12. In what year does the story begin?
13. What is the name of the ship that transfers Papillon and the other escapees back to the bagne?
14. The man in #6 is later arrested for what crime?
(b) Drug trafficking.
15. Which prisoner does Galgani fear?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country has no procedure for returning escapees because no one has ever made it that far?
2. Which of the following is NOT true about Papillon's cell in the prison in #76?
3. What is the nickname for the warden at the Royale bagne?
4. Papillon learns that the convoy to which prison will leave in two days?
5. Who turns Papillon in to the authorities?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)