|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Papillon ingests picric acid to prompt what medical condition?
2. How many men are in each cell at the Conciergerie?
3. Who is the star witness against Papillon?
4. What is Papillon's sentence?
(a) Life in prison with ZSSSSSSSSSShard labor.
(b) Five years of hard labor.
(d) Twenty years to life.
5. Who calls the police because he has been told that Papillon has stolen money?
(a) Dr. Morel.
(b) Dr. Neville.
(c) Dr. Grosvenor.
(d) Dr. Naal.
6. Where is Papillon when the book begins?
(a) A bar.
(b) A courtroom.
(c) A church.
(d) A casino.
7. Where is the bagne located?
(a) French Guiana.
(c) Dutch Guiana.
8. What does Papillon receive from a smuggler on the anniversary of his first year in solitary?
(a) Hot meal.
(d) Condensed milk.
9. What is the name of the family which welcomes the escapees on the island in #49?
10. One of the men in Papillon's group grew up at the bagne and is ___________________.
(a) a cook's son.
(b) a prison guard's son.
(c) a judge's son.
(d) a minister's son.
11. Which country is willing to let Papillon and Maturette dock and rest for awhile on their journey?
12. How does the man in #42 break his leg?
(a) He falls into a ditch.
(b) Jumping over the prison wall.
(c) A guard shoots him in the leg.
(d) A wagon falls on it.
13. Who buys a boat for Papillon and the other escapees?
(a) Dr. Roux.
(b) Dr. Boulanger.
(c) Dr. Moreau.
(d) Dr. Naal.
14. What is a bagne?
(a) A prison.
(b) A sword.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A loaf of bread.
15. Why does Papillon think it would be wrong to punish him for trying to escape?
(a) Because he is an innocent man.
(b) Because it is what every man would do in his position.
(c) Because he is insane.
(d) Because he never killed any guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man in #6 is later arrested for what crime?
2. What is Papillon's only rule for the three convicts wanting to leave on his boat?
3. Papillon uses money and ______________ to pay for the aid and supplies for his next escape.
4. Who is the man who serves as clerk on the island?
5. What is the role of the man in #19?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)