|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what crime is Papillon on trial?
2. In what year does the story begin?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Papillon and the others procure in Ile aux Pigeons?
(a) Medical treatment.
4. What does the Bowen family tell the escapees about Trinidad?
(a) It is under Indian rule.
(b) Hurricanes are a common occurrence.
(c) Prisoners cannot settle there.
(d) Fish and fruit are plentiful for everyone.
5. Where is Papillon when the book begins?
(a) A bar.
(b) A casino.
(c) A church.
(d) A courtroom.
6. What is a cavale?
(a) A gardening tool.
(b) A French pastry.
(c) An escape.
(d) A boat.
7. What does the man in #19 say is his personal goal?
(a) To consider Papillon's appeal.
(b) To work on Papillon's appeal.
(c) To let Papillon have a cell near a window.
(d) To shorten his time in jail.
8. What is the destination of Papillon and Maturette when they set out from Trinidad?
(b) St. Bart's.
(c) The Bahamas.
9. Who is the young man in #40?
10. From whom does Papillon receive a note in "En Route to the Bagne"?
11. Why does Papillon ingest the picric acid?
(a) To stop hunger pangs.
(b) To treat gonorrhea.
(c) To lose weight.
(d) To get transferred to the hospital.
12. What does Papillon realize about the boat to be used in the escape?
(a) There are no oars with it.
(b) It is leaking in several places.
(c) It is not sufficient to carry them to sea.
(d) It is white and will be spotted easily.
13. Who is willing to carry messages for Papillon?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A sweeper.
(c) A cook.
(d) A guard.
14. The bagne is located on which river?
(a) Lyons River.
(b) Maroni River.
(c) Seine River.
(d) Marseilles River.
15. Why is Clousiot hospitalized on the island?
(a) For dysentery.
(b) For a broken leg.
(c) For malaria.
(d) For tuberculosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color predominates the courtroom in which Papillon is tried?
2. Prisoners named Julot and ________________ have escaped the bagne and are now among Papillon's group.
3. Papillon is placed in a jail in Caen while awaiting transfer to the prison in which country?
4. Which of the following is NOT true about Papillon's cell in the prison in #76?
5. When an escape occurs on the island, the warden is punished by losing pay and ________________.
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)