|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man who serves as clerk on the island?
2. What is the name of the family which welcomes the escapees on the island in #49?
3. Why do the three other escapees not want to continue on the journey with Papillon?
(a) They are imprisoned in Curacao.
(b) They are all too sick to go.
(c) They want to sail in a different direction.
(d) They cannot bear such a long crossing.
4. What happens when coconuts are withheld from Papillon for awhile?
(a) He can't sleep.
(b) He becomes very weak.
(c) He gets delirious.
(d) He is dehydrated.
5. What is the name of the ship that transfers Papillon and the other escapees back to the bagne?
6. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
(a) He does not have the money for a good lawyer.
(b) He knows he is guilty.
(c) He knows people in the city are already turned against him.
(d) He will try to escape regardless of the sentence.
7. After escaping the Indian territory, Papillon finds himself in the company of ______________.
(a) Medicine men.
8. What does Papillon show the man in #29 to indicate that Papillon is protecting Galgani?
(a) A syringe.
(b) A lancet.
(c) A glass shard.
(d) A needle.
9. Papillon ingests picric acid to prompt what medical condition?
10. What color predominates the courtroom in which Papillon is tried?
11. How does Papillon incapacitate a guard to attempt another escape?
(a) He stabs him.
(b) He pushes him down slippery steps.
(c) He strangles him.
(d) He puts a sleeping potion in his coffee.
12. Which country is willing to let Papillon and Maturette dock and rest for awhile on their journey?
13. What do Papillon and the man in #70 do to fend off fatigue and hunger while at sea?
(a) Chew on cocoa leaves.
(b) Daydream about their next destination.
(c) Ration the food very carefully.
(d) Sleep as much as possible.
14. Who is the other prisoner who is going to escape with Papillon?
15. What is the role of the man in #19?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the inmate with whom Papillon becomes a friend?
2. Where is the bagne located?
3. One of the men in Papillon's group grew up at the bagne and is ___________________.
4. Which country has no procedure for returning escapees because no one has ever made it that far?
5. Which prisoner does Galgani fear?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)