|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the smuggler in #97?
(a) He is set off to sea on a raft.
(b) He is beaten to death.
(c) He is hanged.
(d) He is buried alive.
2. What courtesy do the jailers extend to Papillon?
(a) He does not have to wear handcuffs.
(b) He can have all the cigarettes he wants.
(c) He does not have to wear striped prison clothes.
(d) He is allowed visits from prostitutes.
3. What is a cavale?
(a) A gardening tool.
(b) A boat.
(c) An escape.
(d) A French pastry.
4. What is Papillon's only rule for the three convicts wanting to leave on his boat?
(a) They have to clean all the fish.
(b) They will row at night and sleep during the day.
(c) They are not allowed to show any panic.
(d) They have to pay Papillon.
5. What is the name of the ship that transfers Papillon and the other escapees back to the bagne?
6. How does Papillon utilize a younger prisoner with a feminine appearance?
(a) To distract the other prisoners.
(b) To hide his plan.
(c) To crawl through a small space.
(d) To seduce a guard.
7. In what do the other prisoners seem to not have any interest?
(a) Cleaning their cells.
(b) Making wine.
(d) Writing letters.
8. Why is Clousiot hospitalized on the island?
(a) For a broken leg.
(b) For tuberculosis.
(c) For malaria.
(d) For dysentery.
9. The warden tells Papillon that Papillon can remain at large on the island as long as Papillon promises to ____________.
(a) Manage the commerce system.
(b) Not attempt an escape.
(c) Maintain the postal system.
(d) Work in the infirmary.
10. How many years of solitary confinement do Papillon, Maturette and Clousiot receive when they return to the bagne?
11. What is stuck to the bowl that the leper, Toussaint, hands to Papillon?
(a) A leaf.
(b) Toussaint's finger.
12. For what crime is Papillon on trial?
13. What is the destination of Papillon and Maturette when they set out from Trinidad?
(b) The Bahamas.
(c) St. Bart's.
14. What happens to Clousiot after two years in solitary confinement?
(a) He is sent back to France.
(b) He goes crazy.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He dies a few days after his release.
15. Which prisoner does Galgani fear?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Papillon and Clousiot unable to make their escape from Colombia?
2. How does Papillon incapacitate a guard to attempt another escape?
3. Who is the man who serves as clerk on the island?
4. Papillon makes friends with a fellow prisoner who helps get Papillon _______________________.
5. The man in #6 is later arrested for what crime?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)