|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
(a) He knows people in the city are already turned against him.
(b) He knows he is guilty.
(c) He does not have the money for a good lawyer.
(d) He will try to escape regardless of the sentence.
2. What does Papillon realize about the boat to be used in the escape?
(a) It is leaking in several places.
(b) It is not sufficient to carry them to sea.
(c) There are no oars with it.
(d) It is white and will be spotted easily.
3. What do Papillon and the man in #70 do to fend off fatigue and hunger while at sea?
(a) Daydream about their next destination.
(b) Sleep as much as possible.
(c) Chew on cocoa leaves.
(d) Ration the food very carefully.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the escaped convicts needing to leave Trinidad?
5. Who buys a boat for Papillon and the other escapees?
(a) Dr. Boulanger.
(b) Dr. Naal.
(c) Dr. Moreau.
(d) Dr. Roux.
6. When does the warden tell Papillon that he can escape?
(a) It would be better to go in the Spring.
(b) After the completion of the warden's term.
(c) Any time he wants.
(d) When hell freezes over.
7. How much money does Galgani have?
(a) 100,000 francs.
(b) 10,000 francs.
(c) 5,000 francs.
(d) 25,000 francs.
8. How many men are in each cell at the Conciergerie?
9. How many days does the trip to the bagne take?
10. What does Galgani ask Papillon to do for him?
(a) Help with his appeals case.
(b) Carry his plan.
(c) Get him some water.
(d) Summon the guard.
11. For what crime is Papillon on trial?
12. What color predominates the courtroom in which Papillon is tried?
13. Which prisoner breaks his leg in the escape?
14. What is a bagne?
(a) A prison.
(b) A sword.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A loaf of bread.
15. From whom does Papillon receive a note in "En Route to the Bagne"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the warden at the Royale bagne?
2. The bagne is located on which river?
3. Who is the man Papillon is accused of murdering?
4. What job does Galgani have at the bagne at this time?
5. Papillon ingests picric acid to prompt what medical condition?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)