|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nickname for the warden at the Royale bagne?
(a) Luna Sec.
(b) Mara Loco.
(c) Coco Sec.
(d) Coco Loco.
2. Who turns Papillon in to the authorities?
(a) The Mother Superior.
(b) A scorned lover.
(c) Another convict.
(d) A school teacher.
3. What is a cavale?
(a) A gardening tool.
(b) An escape.
(c) A boat.
(d) A French pastry.
4. Why do some of the other prisoners decline Papillon's offer to escape?
(a) They want to wait for a better escape plan.
(b) They don't have the money.
(c) It is too risky.
(d) They are too weak.
5. What is Papillon forbidden to talk about on Royale?
(c) The king.
6. What does Papillon know when he reaches prison?
(a) He will escape.
(b) He will die there.
(c) He will be set free.
(d) He will cause a riot.
7. Who gives Papillon and the others the directions to Ile aux Pigeons?
(a) Masked Boulanger.
(b) Masked Breton.
(c) Masked Bertrand.
(d) Masked Broussard.
8. What does the Bowen family tell the escapees about Trinidad?
(a) Prisoners cannot settle there.
(b) Fish and fruit are plentiful for everyone.
(c) Hurricanes are a common occurrence.
(d) It is under Indian rule.
9. What is Papillon's only rule for the three convicts wanting to leave on his boat?
(a) They have to pay Papillon.
(b) They will row at night and sleep during the day.
(c) They are not allowed to show any panic.
(d) They have to clean all the fish.
10. What happens when coconuts are withheld from Papillon for awhile?
(a) He gets delirious.
(b) He becomes very weak.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He is dehydrated.
11. Who is the other prisoner who is going to escape with Papillon?
12. What is a plan?
(a) An escape strategy.
(b) Menus for a week.
(c) A configuration of cells.
(d) A tube of money stored in the anus.
13. The bagne is located on which river?
(a) Marseilles River.
(b) Seine River.
(c) Lyons River.
(d) Maroni River.
14. After escaping the Indian territory, Papillon finds himself in the company of ______________.
(b) Medicine men.
15. Why does Papillon think it would be wrong to punish him for trying to escape?
(a) Because he never killed any guards.
(b) Because he is an innocent man.
(c) Because he is insane.
(d) Because it is what every man would do in his position.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papillon learns of another escape attempt that results in several escapees eating _____________ other convicts.
2. What does Papillon show the man in #29 to indicate that Papillon is protecting Galgani?
3. Who is willing to carry messages for Papillon?
4. How does Papillon utilize a younger prisoner with a feminine appearance?
5. What is a bagne?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)