|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Papillon's sentence?
(b) Five years of hard labor.
(c) Life in prison with ZSSSSSSSSSShard labor.
(d) Twenty years to life.
2. Which new prisoner does Papillon join in a daring escape?
3. What are the people of Ile aux Pigeons careful not to do around Papillon?
(a) Show money.
(b) Tell secrets.
(d) Touch him.
4. What is a cavale?
(a) A gardening tool.
(b) A boat.
(c) An escape.
(d) A French pastry.
5. Who is the other prisoner who is going to escape with Papillon?
6. What happens to Papillon and the others when arriving at Curacao?
(a) The boat crashes into rocks.
(b) They buy a bigger boat.
(c) They need hospitalization for a few days.
(d) They receive a warm welcome.
7. How many men are in each cell at the Conciergerie?
8. What does the man in #19 say is his personal goal?
(a) To let Papillon have a cell near a window.
(b) To shorten his time in jail.
(c) To consider Papillon's appeal.
(d) To work on Papillon's appeal.
9. Who buys a boat for Papillon and the other escapees?
(a) Dr. Boulanger.
(b) Dr. Naal.
(c) Dr. Moreau.
(d) Dr. Roux.
10. Why is Clousiot hospitalized on the island?
(a) For dysentery.
(b) For malaria.
(c) For tuberculosis.
(d) For a broken leg.
11. What job does Galgani have at the bagne at this time?
(a) Boat repair.
(c) Postal service.
12. What are the men in the Caen jail not allowed to do all day?
(a) Close their eyes.
(b) Lie down.
(d) Go to the bathroom.
13. What do Papillon and the man in #70 do to fend off fatigue and hunger while at sea?
(a) Daydream about their next destination.
(b) Ration the food very carefully.
(c) Sleep as much as possible.
(d) Chew on cocoa leaves.
14. What is Papillon forbidden to talk about on Royale?
(b) The king.
15. What happens when coconuts are withheld from Papillon for awhile?
(a) He becomes very weak.
(b) He gets delirious.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He is dehydrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Papillon try to learn all he can about the bagne?
2. What stalls Papillon's departure from Curacao?
3. Where is the bagne located?
4. Who is willing to carry messages for Papillon?
5. Why does Papillon ingest the picric acid?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)