|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT true about Papillon's cell in the prison in #76?
(a) It is built on a hilltop.
(b) It floods at high tide.
(c) Rats run rampant.
(d) Crabs become a menace.
2. Where is the bagne located?
(a) French Guiana.
(d) Dutch Guiana.
3. Papillon determines the best way to deal with the mental challenges of __________________.
(a) Being on death row.
(b) Solitary confinement.
(c) Making true friends.
(d) Outwitting the guards.
4. Where is Papillon when the book begins?
(a) A casino.
(b) A bar.
(c) A courtroom.
(d) A church.
5. In what year does the story begin?
6. How many days does the trip to the bagne take?
7. What does the man in #19 say is his personal goal?
(a) To shorten his time in jail.
(b) To consider Papillon's appeal.
(c) To let Papillon have a cell near a window.
(d) To work on Papillon's appeal.
8. Papillon learns of another escape attempt that results in several escapees eating _____________ other convicts.
9. What are the men in the Caen jail not allowed to do all day?
(a) Lie down.
(b) Go to the bathroom.
(d) Close their eyes.
10. Which island do the escapees reach after days at sea?
(c) St. Barts.
11. Papillon is placed in a jail in Caen while awaiting transfer to the prison in which country?
12. The bagne is located on which river?
(a) Maroni River.
(b) Seine River.
(c) Lyons River.
(d) Marseilles River.
13. Papillon's friends smuggled in a coconut and _______________ for him every day in solitary.
14. What happens to the smuggler in #97?
(a) He is set off to sea on a raft.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He is buried alive.
(d) He is beaten to death.
15. What does Papillon know when he reaches prison?
(a) He will cause a riot.
(b) He will escape.
(c) He will die there.
(d) He will be set free.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some of the other prisoners decline Papillon's offer to escape?
2. After escaping the Indian territory, Papillon finds himself in the company of ______________.
3. The man in #6 is later arrested for what crime?
4. What stalls Papillon's departure from Curacao?
5. What is Papillon's sentence?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)