|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do some of the other prisoners decline Papillon's offer to escape?
(a) It is too risky.
(b) They are too weak.
(c) They want to wait for a better escape plan.
(d) They don't have the money.
2. Which new prisoner does Papillon join in a daring escape?
3. What stalls Papillon's departure from Curacao?
(a) No wind for the sails.
(b) He can't bear to leave land.
(c) He is in the hospital.
(d) He falls in love with a native girl.
4. For what crime is Papillon on trial?
5. Which country has no procedure for returning escapees because no one has ever made it that far?
6. Who turns Papillon in to the authorities?
(a) A scorned lover.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) The Mother Superior.
(d) Another convict.
7. When an escape occurs on the island, the warden is punished by losing pay and ________________.
(c) Time off.
8. What happens when coconuts are withheld from Papillon for awhile?
(a) He becomes very weak.
(b) He gets delirious.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He is dehydrated.
9. Who is the other prisoner who is going to escape with Papillon?
10. In what year does the story begin?
11. Who is the warden at the Royale bagne?
12. Why do the three other escapees not want to continue on the journey with Papillon?
(a) They are imprisoned in Curacao.
(b) They are all too sick to go.
(c) They want to sail in a different direction.
(d) They cannot bear such a long crossing.
13. What is the role of the man in #19?
14. Who is the woman who loves Papillon and cries out in the courtroom?
15. How many days are Papillon and Maturette given to leave Trinidad?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 18 days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 90 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are some of the prisoners whipped severely or burned with steam on board the ship to the bagne?
2. What is Papillon forbidden to talk about on Royale?
3. Who gives Papillon and the others the directions to Ile aux Pigeons?
4. Who buys a boat for Papillon and the other escapees?
5. What does the man in #19 say is his personal goal?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)