|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
(a) He does not have the money for a good lawyer.
(b) He knows people in the city are already turned against him.
(c) He knows he is guilty.
(d) He will try to escape regardless of the sentence.
2. Papillon is placed in a jail in Caen while awaiting transfer to the prison in which country?
3. Papillon learns that the convoy to which prison will leave in two days?
(c) Saint Martin in Chains.
4. What is the reason for gunfire in the middle of the night at the bagne?
(a) A guard is torturing a prisoner.
(b) Three men are caught trying to scale the prison wall.
(c) Girard faces a firing squad.
(d) Julot has escaped.
5. What sentence are men never given in Colombia?
(a) Five to ten years.
(b) Life in prison.
(d) Twenty years to life.
6. What is Papillon not allowed to do in solitary?
(a) Read the Bible.
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(d) Talk to anyone.
7. Who is the island girl who claims Papillon as her own?
8. What courtesy do the jailers extend to Papillon?
(a) He does not have to wear striped prison clothes.
(b) He can have all the cigarettes he wants.
(c) He is allowed visits from prostitutes.
(d) He does not have to wear handcuffs.
9. Which country has no procedure for returning escapees because no one has ever made it that far?
10. Who is the man Papillon is accused of murdering?
(a) Yves Mimieux.
(b) Jacque Robillard.
(c) Roland de Petit.
(d) Francois Gaspard.
11. What job does Galgani have at the bagne at this time?
(b) Boat repair.
(c) Postal service.
12. Which island do the escapees reach after days at sea?
(d) St. Barts.
13. Why is Clousiot hospitalized on the island?
(a) For malaria.
(b) For a broken leg.
(c) For dysentery.
(d) For tuberculosis.
14. Who is the man who serves as clerk on the island?
15. What assistance does Trinidad's navy offer to Papillon and Maturette?
(a) To take them to South America.
(b) To refit their boat.
(c) To give them a bigger boat.
(d) To give them nautical maps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prisoners named Julot and ________________ have escaped the bagne and are now among Papillon's group.
2. What are the men in the Caen jail not allowed to do all day?
3. What does the Bowen family tell the escapees about Trinidad?
4. How many other escaped convicts does Trinidad have who have no way to leave the island?
5. What do most of the prisoners at the Royale bagne have?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)