|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Papillon reject the idea of an appeal?
(a) He does not have the money for a good lawyer.
(b) He will try to escape regardless of the sentence.
(c) He knows he is guilty.
(d) He knows people in the city are already turned against him.
2. What courtesy do the jailers extend to Papillon?
(a) He does not have to wear handcuffs.
(b) He does not have to wear striped prison clothes.
(c) He is allowed visits from prostitutes.
(d) He can have all the cigarettes he wants.
3. What medical condition does the prisoner named Ignace Galgani tell Papillon that he has?
4. How does the man in #42 break his leg?
(a) A wagon falls on it.
(b) Jumping over the prison wall.
(c) He falls into a ditch.
(d) A guard shoots him in the leg.
5. Which new prisoner does Papillon join in a daring escape?
6. What is stuck to the bowl that the leper, Toussaint, hands to Papillon?
(b) A leaf.
(d) Toussaint's finger.
7. What is a plan?
(a) A configuration of cells.
(b) Menus for a week.
(c) A tube of money stored in the anus.
(d) An escape strategy.
8. Papillon learns of another escape attempt that results in several escapees eating _____________ other convicts.
9. In what do the other prisoners seem to not have any interest?
(a) Cleaning their cells.
(b) Making wine.
(d) Writing letters.
10. What is a cavale?
(a) An escape.
(b) A boat.
(c) A gardening tool.
(d) A French pastry.
11. Who gives Papillon and the others the directions to Ile aux Pigeons?
(a) Masked Bertrand.
(b) Masked Breton.
(c) Masked Broussard.
(d) Masked Boulanger.
12. Which prisoner breaks his leg in the escape?
13. Which of the following is NOT something Papillon and the others procure in Ile aux Pigeons?
(d) Medical treatment.
14. Which one of the escapees leaves a note under his pillow stating that he has moved and left no forwarding address?
15. What is the reason for gunfire in the middle of the night at the bagne?
(a) Julot has escaped.
(b) A guard is torturing a prisoner.
(c) Three men are caught trying to scale the prison wall.
(d) Girard faces a firing squad.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the trip to the bagne take?
2. Papillon is placed in a jail in Caen while awaiting transfer to the prison in which country?
3. What are the men in the Caen jail not allowed to do all day?
4. Which prisoner takes great interest in Papillon's escape plan?
5. What does Galgani ask Papillon to do for him?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)