|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Man say that offends Mam and makes her upset while they are waiting for their photograph at the zoo?
2. What zoo does Mam take Little Man to in Chapter 12?
3. At what intersection is Little Man's newspaper pickup station located?
4. What name does Mam use to describe ghostlike spirits that she perceives?
5. Who got Little Man out of the storm drain last summer when he became trapped?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mam respond to the situation in Little Man's bedroom in Chapter 16?
2. Why does Little Man have to lie in order to get the photographer to take a picture of him and Mam at the zoo? What does Little Man tell the photo booth operator?
3. Why does Little Man go home before taking his collections to Rat's mom in Chapter 16? What does he find when he gets there?
4. What conflict takes place between Mam and a boy at the zoo in Chapter 12? How is the conflict resolved?
5. What discovery does Little Man make about TV Boy in Chapter 14?
6. What does Little Man say that upsets Mam in Chapter 12? How does Mam respond?
7. What discovery does Little Man make when he goes for his final collection at Mr. Spiro's home in Chapter 14? How does Little Man respond to the discovery?
8. What can be discerned by the fact that no one comments on Mam's appearance at church in Chapter 11?
9. How does Mam demonstrate courage in Chapter 16?
10. What conflict occurs when Little Man goes to pick up his newspapers for the day in Chapter 13? How is the conflict resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Little Man lose his yellow-handled knife? Why is it so important for Little Man to get his knife back? Whose help does Little Man elicit in retrieving his knife?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Paperboy. In what year does the story take place? In what region does Little Man's family live? What role does the setting of the story play in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racism and racial segregation in Paperboy. How is this theme developed through character and setting? What events in the story are directly tied to the themes of racism and racial segregation?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)