|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Little Man tell Mam that Rat will be returning home in Chapter 10?
2. How does Little Man feel when he learns that Mr. Spiro is leaving for a trip in Chapter 15?
3. Where does Little Man describe the best breeze in the house late in the day in Chapter 16?
4. What items fill the walls of Mr. Spiro's home?
5. On what day of the week are Little Man's parents coming home from their trip in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be discerned by the fact that no one comments on Mam's appearance at church in Chapter 11?
2. What conflict occurs when Little Man goes to pick up his newspapers for the day in Chapter 13? How is the conflict resolved?
3. What discovery does Little Man make about TV Boy in Chapter 14?
4. How does Little Man describe Ara T's hideout in Chapter 10?
5. How does Willie respond when confronted by Little Man in Chapter 14? What are Little Man's impressions of Willie's response?
6. Why does Little Man disobey Mam in Chapter 16? What does he do to disobey her?
7. What discovery does Little Man make when he goes for his final collection at Mr. Spiro's home in Chapter 14? How does Little Man respond to the discovery?
8. What is noteworthy about Mam's appearance when she returns to work in Chapter 9?
9. What concerns preoccupy Little Man in Chapter 11? Are these concerns well-founded?
10. How does Mam demonstrate courage in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mam in the novel. How would you describe Little Man's relationship with Mam? What characteristics does Mam exhibit? What are Mam's central objectives in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of Paperboy. From whose perspective is the story related? Why do you think the author chose to employ this narrative style? How would the story differ if it were related from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racism and racial segregation in Paperboy. How is this theme developed through character and setting? What events in the story are directly tied to the themes of racism and racial segregation?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)