|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Man throw rocks at in the end of Chapter 15?
2. What treat do Little Man and Mam have as they wait for their picture to be developed in Chapter 12?
3. When does Mr. Spiro say he will be back from his trip in Chapter 15?
4. What ship's name is printed on Mr. Spiro's duffel bag in Chapter 15?
5. Why is Mam not allowed to have her picture taken in the booth with Little Man at the zoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Little Man describe Ara T's hideout in Chapter 10?
2. What conflict takes place between Mam and a boy at the zoo in Chapter 12? How is the conflict resolved?
3. Why do you think Mam allows Little Man to accompany her at the end of Chapter 16?
4. How does Mam respond to the situation in Little Man's bedroom in Chapter 16?
5. What conflict does Little Man face at Ara T's hideout in Chapter 10?
6. What can be discerned by the fact that no one comments on Mam's appearance at church in Chapter 11?
7. What is noteworthy about Mam's appearance when she returns to work in Chapter 9?
8. How does Mam demonstrate courage in Chapter 16?
9. How does Willie respond when confronted by Little Man in Chapter 14? What are Little Man's impressions of Willie's response?
10. How does Mrs. Worthington behave when Little Man comes to collect money for the paper in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of Paperboy. From whose perspective is the story related? Why do you think the author chose to employ this narrative style? How would the story differ if it were related from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Ara T. What role does Ara T play in the narrative (protagonist, antagonist, etc.)? Where is Ara T from? What is his relationship to Little Man?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Little Man's relationship with his mother. How close are Little Man and his mother? What concerns does Little Man's mother express regarding his speech impediment?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)