|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie does Little Man go to see with his father in Chapter 8?
2. Where did Rat incur a scar from crashing his bike?
3. How does Little Man define Ara T's profession?
4. Who does Little Man see watching him from his truck when his father drops him off at the newspaper pickup in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Little Man say that Mam had told him to stay away from Ara T in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Little Man's athletic and academic achievements described in Chapter 1?
2. What does Little Man overhear his parents talking about after coming home from the restaurant in Chapter 7? What does he make of this conversation?
3. How is Little Man's experience at the restaurant described in Chapter 7?
4. What does Little Man confess to Mam in Chapter 6? How does Mam respond?
5. What is the second "clue" that Mr. Spiro gives to Little Man in Chapter 5? What does Little Man make of the clue?
6. What plans does Little Man make with his father in Chapter 8? What becomes of the plans?
7. What is a stutter? How is Little Man's stutter depicted in the narrative of Paperboy?
8. Why have Little Man's parents decided to take Little Man to a restaurant to eat in Chapter 7? How does he feel about this proposition?
9. How does Little Man say he is relating the story of the stabbing in Chapter 1? Why is he relating the story in this manner?
10. What do Little Man and Mr. Spiro discuss when Little Man comes by on Friday for collection in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Little Man evolve as a character in the course of the story? What is significant about Little Man telling his mother that he does not like pralines? How does this statement imply growth in Little Man?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events that occur in the climax of the narrative. Where does the climax of the story take place? What dangers does Little Man face in the climax? How are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racism and racial segregation in Paperboy. How is this theme developed through character and setting? What events in the story are directly tied to the themes of racism and racial segregation?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)