|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What street does Mrs. Worthington live on?
2. Who confused the words "wicker" and "wicked," leading to the patio furniture being called the "Wicked Furniture" on the patio of Little Man's house?
3. How much money is Little Man's first tip on his paper route?
4. What is the name of the town where Mam grew up?
5. What issue does Little Man have with his knife in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Little Man say he is relating the story of the stabbing in Chapter 1? Why is he relating the story in this manner?
2. What does Little Man overhear his parents talking about after coming home from the restaurant in Chapter 7? What does he make of this conversation?
3. What plans does Little Man make with his father in Chapter 8? What becomes of the plans?
4. What are Little Man's first impressions of Mr. Spiro? How is Mr. Spiro described?
5. What is a stutter? How is Little Man's stutter depicted in the narrative of Paperboy?
6. What does Little Man encounter when he goes to Mrs. Worthington's home for newspaper payment collection in Chapter 6?
7. What are Little Man's first impressions of Mrs. Worthington? How does he meet Mrs. Worthington?
8. What does Little Man discover on his birth certificate in Chapter 7? How does he respond to this information?
9. Who is Ara T? Why does Little Man give his pocket knife to Ara T in Chapter 3?
10. What role does Mam serve in Little Man's life? How would you describe the relationship between Mam and Little Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Mam's actions, objectives, and obstacles when she sets out from Little Man's home after discovering the theft from his bedroom? What instructions does she give to Little Man? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of isolation, embarrassment, and alienation in Paperboy. How are these themes embodied by Little Man? How does Little Man grow and evolve past his isolation in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Little Man evolve as a character in the course of the story? What is significant about Little Man telling his mother that he does not like pralines? How does this statement imply growth in Little Man?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)