|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What children's television show does Little Man describe watching in Chapter 4?
2. How does Little Man define Ara T's profession?
3. What color hair does Mrs. Worthington have?
4. What word is written on the second piece of the dollar bill that Mr. Spiro gives to Little Man?
5. Who does Little Man see watching him from his truck when his father drops him off at the newspaper pickup in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second "clue" that Mr. Spiro gives to Little Man in Chapter 5? What does Little Man make of the clue?
2. Who is Big Sack? What is this character's relationship to Little Man?
3. Who is Ara T? Why does Little Man give his pocket knife to Ara T in Chapter 3?
4. How does Mrs. Worthington appear to Little Man when he sees her on Monday in Chapter 7?
5. What does Little Man confess to Mam in Chapter 6? How does Mam respond?
6. Why is Little Man's real name not revealed in the beginning of the story? How is he referred to in the text?
7. What is a stutter? How is Little Man's stutter depicted in the narrative of Paperboy?
8. What information does Little Man reveal about himself, his friends, and his family in Chapter 1?
9. Why have Little Man's parents decided to take Little Man to a restaurant to eat in Chapter 7? How does he feel about this proposition?
10. What is Rat's real name? What is Rat's relationship to Little Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Little Man's relationship with his mother. How close are Little Man and his mother? What concerns does Little Man's mother express regarding his speech impediment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the autobiographical elements of Paperboy. How does the author describe his own struggles with stuttering? What similarities can be seen between the author and Victor Vollmer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mam in the novel. How would you describe Little Man's relationship with Mam? What characteristics does Mam exhibit? What are Mam's central objectives in the story?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)