|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Little Man tell the photo booth operator at the zoo that Mam is about to return to in Chapter 12?
(c) New York.
(d) New Mexico.
2. Where does Little Man describe the best breeze in the house late in the day in Chapter 16?
(a) In the attic.
(b) On the back stairs.
(c) In the basement.
(d) On the front porch.
3. Where is Mr. Spiro going for a trip in Chapter 15?
4. What does Mam chastise an older kid for doing at the zoo in Chapter 12?
(a) Feeding trash to a giraffe.
(b) Hitting a young boy.
(c) Giving a cigarette to a monkey.
(d) Littering on the sidewalk.
5. Little Man says in Chapter 9, "I would be glad to be a grown-up for two reasons." What is the second reason he gives?
(a) He would be able to marry Sarah.
(b) He would be able to write about his past.
(c) He would be able to leave the South.
(d) He'd be able to figure out what to do with his feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bus do Little Man and Mam take to the zoo in Chapter 12?
2. On what day of the week are Little Man's parents coming home from their trip in Chapter 14?
3. Where on the bus do Mam and Little Man sit when they leave to search for Ara T in Chapter 16?
4. What name does Mam use to describe ghostlike spirits that she perceives?
5. What does Little Man observe Mam doing for the first time when they are riding the bus in the end of Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where have Little Man's parents gone in Chapter 11? Who cares for Little Man while they are away?
2. What discovery does Little Man make about TV Boy in Chapter 14?
3. Why do you think Mam allows Little Man to accompany her at the end of Chapter 16?
4. What can be discerned by the fact that no one comments on Mam's appearance at church in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Little Man disobey Mam in Chapter 16? What does he do to disobey her?
6. What is significant about the abandoned ladder against the house in Chapter 13?
7. How is the setting of the zoo described in Chapter 12? What are Little Man's impressions of this setting?
8. What does Little Man say that upsets Mam in Chapter 12? How does Mam respond?
9. What is noteworthy about Mam's appearance when she returns to work in Chapter 9?
10. How does Mam respond to the situation in Little Man's bedroom in Chapter 16?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)