• Chapter 1 introduces the narrator and protagonist, an 11-year-old boy with a profound stutter.
• It is important to note that the narrator’s name is not revealed until the end of the book, but he is referred to by his nickname, Little Man.
• The story takes place in 1959, in Memphis, Tennessee, where Little Man lives with his parents and his best friend Mam (Miss Nellie Avent), a maid who works for his family.
• Little Man’s other best friend is a boy named Rat; Rat’s real name is Art but, Little Man has trouble pronouncing those sounds and Rat doesn’t mind the change.
• Because Rat is spending July on his grandparents’ farm, Little Man has agreed to take over Rat’s paper route for the month; Little Man is nervous about having to collect the paper money on Fridays because he will have to speak...
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)