|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the population of Algoe be until May 29th?
2. What does Q discover at the mini mall?
3. What does Q do at Holly Meadows?
4. What does Radar think Margo is going to do?
5. What makes Q think Margo is planning a road trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transpires the first five hours of their trip?
2. What changes does Q find in the mini mall?
3. What significant conversation do Ben and Q have in hour twelve?
4. What do Q and Radar talk about after Q calls him from hanging up with Ben?
5. What does Q realize about how he has mirrored Margo?
6. How does Q's dealing with the end of high school give him insight into Margo?
7. What does Q resolve to find on Saturday and how do Q and Radar use what they find?
8. To whom does Q ask about the Walt Whitman poem, "Song of Myself" and what does he learn from the person?
9. What do Q and Lacey talk about in the bathroom?
10. Why does Q go to a party when Ben calls him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Paper Towns. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Green chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Green chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Green's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Green use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Paper Towns based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Paper Towns is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Paper Towns a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)