|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Q go the night of the prom?
2. Where does Q think Margo might be waiting for him?
3. After how many days do Lacey and Ben think Margo will return?
4. What does Radar think Margo is going to do?
5. What does Q continue to do on Monday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Q become frustrated with Ben the morning after the prom?
2. What do Q and Lacey talk about in the bathroom?
3. What do Q's parents say about humans mirroring each other?
4. What does Q decide after seeing the changes at the mini mall?
5. To whom does Q ask about the Walt Whitman poem, "Song of Myself" and what does he learn from the person?
6. Why is Q relieved when they find a raccoon?
7. What significant conversation do Ben and Q have in hour twelve?
8. How does Q vacillate about his search for Margo, but what does he do instead of the prom concerning her?
9. What does Q realize when he re-reads the Whitman poem?
10. What does Q resolve to find on Saturday and how do Q and Radar use what they find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Paper Towns interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Quentin. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Margo. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Jase. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Quentin is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Quentin demonstrates his intelligence and his morals. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Quentin's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Quentin 's admirable traits makes him do what he does about finding Margo. Have his flaws impacted his life? How do his flaws influence his handling of the Margo mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Paper Towns is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)