|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of t-shirts do Ben and Q buy for Ben and Radar to wear?
2. What is Radar's role for the trip?
3. What does Q do at Holly Meadows?
4. What is Lacey's role for the trip?
5. What is one area Q pinpoints for finding Margo?
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of Paper Towns, Quentin grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Paper Towns might be considered a slice of Quentin's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Paper Towns is a "bildungsroman" of Quentin Jacobsen. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Quentin as he changes from a more carefree, innocent boy to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Quentin?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Quentin 's growth throughout Paper Towns, do you think Paper Towns could be considered Quentin 's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Paper Towns who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Paper Towns is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Paper Towns.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Paper Towns. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Paper Towns. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 2,424 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)