|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Q find Lacey?
2. What does Q do instead of what he wanted to do?
3. What do Ben, Q, Radar and Lacey explain to their parents?
4. About what does Q think Whitman was too optimistic?
5. What is one area Q pinpoints for finding Margo?
Essay Topic 1
Paper Towns belongs to the young adult mystery genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult mystery genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult mystery and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Paper Towns. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Green chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Green chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Green's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Green use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Margo and Quentin. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ben and Radar. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Compare/contrast Margo and Quentin's parents. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which ones seem more of a well-rounded character?
4. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Paper Towns help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 2,486 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)