|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Becca Arrington?
2. Why does Q wonder if Margo has gone off on another adventure?
3. What has Margo just found out about Jase?
4. What mystifies Lacey about Margo?
5. What does Q hope Margo chose him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margo do to wreck vengeance on Jase?
2. What does Lacey want when she approaches Q at school?
3. How does Q handle the problems with the school bullies?
4. Who goes to see Ruthie and what does she let them do?
5. Why are things chaotic at school and what are a couple incidents that happen as a result?
6. What does Margo say about her boyfriend, Jase, and what is Q's reaction?
7. What does Margo do to Lacey?
8. Who questions Q about Margo's disappearance?
9. How does Q feel the next morning and who does he tell about his escapades with Margo at Chuck's house?
10. What does Q ask Margo to do after the Sea World adventure and how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margo hates everything normal about herself and feels no one around her is authentic. She seems to be a person fully alienated and critical of her society and her social group. She does not fit into any of the social groups even though she is admired by her peers.
1. What do you think a student should do if she/he doesn't fit into the crowd at school? Use examples from Paper Towns and your life to support your answer.
2. What do you think makes a student stick out from others? Use examples from Paper Towns and your life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Margo feels different from her peers? Use examples from Paper Towns and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many people were running from their problems, such as jobs they hated, marriages which were bad or escaping from relatives they did not like, by leaving for the gold fields. Many realized very quickly that no matter how far they ran their character flaws were always there. Margo has run from her problems but then finds she must face the central cause of his problems, herself.
1. Running from problems by going somewhere else is called a "geographic cure." Discuss what do you think this means.
2. Do you believe taking the geographic cure is a good idea or a bad idea? Why or why not? Could it be different depending on the circumstance? How did running help Margo? How did it harm her?
3. Discuss two situations that might respond well to a geographic cure and two that wouldn't be helped with on. Does Margo's determination to leave home seem like a geographic cure? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Paper Towns belongs to the young adult mystery genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult mystery genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult mystery and a historical novel?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)