|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Margo's parents describe Margo?
2. What is RHAPAW?
3. Why does Q wonder if Margo has gone off on another adventure?
4. What does Margo say would be impossible for Q and Margo?
5. How is Q starting to feel at school for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Q and Ben take off the hinges of Margo's door and what do they find?
2. How does Margo offer to reward Q and what is his response?
3. Who visits Q near midnight one night and what does she want?
4. What does Q do in class concerning the night with Margo and why does he wonder about her?
5. Who questions Q about Margo's disappearance?
6. What does Margo do to Lacey?
7. What does Margo say about her boyfriend, Jase, and what is Q's reaction?
8. What does Margo ask Q when they are driving around, and where do they go?
9. What does Margo do to wreck vengeance on Becca?
10. What does Lacey want when she approaches Q at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margo hates everything normal about herself and feels no one around her is authentic. She seems to be a person fully alienated and critical of her society and her social group. She does not fit into any of the social groups even though she is admired by her peers.
1. What do you think a student should do if she/he doesn't fit into the crowd at school? Use examples from Paper Towns and your life to support your answer.
2. What do you think makes a student stick out from others? Use examples from Paper Towns and your life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Margo feels different from her peers? Use examples from Paper Towns and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Paper Towns. Questions that Green most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Green's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Green's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of John Green and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Paper Towns belongs to the young adult mystery genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult mystery genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult mystery and a historical novel?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)